Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,337 members, 7,811,978 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:04 AM

Should Couples Have A Lot In Common Or Is The "Attraction" Between Them Enough? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Should Couples Have A Lot In Common Or Is The "Attraction" Between Them Enough? (3234 Views)

How Often Should Couples Fúck? / The little things that matter a lot in a relationship / How Often Should Couples Have S£x? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Couples Have A Lot In Common Or Is The "Attraction" Between Them Enough? by Nobody: 7:44am On May 06, 2015
I want us to debate about this guys.

Is it necessary for couples to have alot in common(e.g lifestyle, political views, religion beliefs etc) or only the attraction between them is enough for their relationships to be enjoyed ?

your opinions are highly welcome cool
Re: Should Couples Have A Lot In Common Or Is The "Attraction" Between Them Enough? by shakazuldadon: 7:47am On May 06, 2015
debaters....come in.....I
Re: Should Couples Have A Lot In Common Or Is The "Attraction" Between Them Enough? by vizkiz: 7:48am On May 06, 2015
we'v gat a lot in common...
Stuffs like that helps in time of misunderstanding. You know when you are watching a movie and you know she loves that movie but isn't there to watch it with you sad

When she listens to a particular kindda song and she can't just stop repeating it, then she rememebers how much you also like the song and can't stop singing it in the bathroom grin

Seriously, it pays to date a girl you'v gat some stuffs(not all) in common with smiley

1 Like

Re: Should Couples Have A Lot In Common Or Is The "Attraction" Between Them Enough? by Maczeelly(m): 7:48am On May 06, 2015
All of the above..........
Re: Should Couples Have A Lot In Common Or Is The "Attraction" Between Them Enough? by temitemi1(m): 7:50am On May 06, 2015
To me the relationship will be so boring having the same life style...
Re: Should Couples Have A Lot In Common Or Is The "Attraction" Between Them Enough? by Nobody: 7:53am On May 06, 2015
temitemi1:
To me the relationship will be so boring having the same life style...
Can you give us few reasons to backup ur point bro cool
Re: Should Couples Have A Lot In Common Or Is The "Attraction" Between Them Enough? by tohpahz(f): 7:54am On May 06, 2015
We've got to have things in common nd the attraction to back it up..
Re: Should Couples Have A Lot In Common Or Is The "Attraction" Between Them Enough? by BeeBeeOoh(m): 7:54am On May 06, 2015
The attraction is what matters most, having a lot in common can be bonus..
Re: Should Couples Have A Lot In Common Or Is The "Attraction" Between Them Enough? by Nobody: 7:55am On May 06, 2015
There is this statement that some people make that I really like and its
~ Marry your best friend.
Although not everyone would go along with this, but one can not rule off the advantages of trailing along this line.

Unlike someone who you just met, and fell in love with through mere attraction, a best friend is someone with which you already share a lot of things in common with.
You have the same highs and you have the same lows.
You understand each others weakness and you can easily avoid them.

Bringing this to your question, like I elaborated on through the "marry your best friend example", you would agree with me that attraction isn't enough to sustain a relationship.
It is essential that the couples share a thing or two in common.
It helps in better understanding and co-existence.
It promotes a stronger bond of friendship and togetherness.

It's always nice when you are with someone whom you can talk with about something that interests you.
You like this song and he likes it to. You love this sport and he loves it to. You loves going to this place and he loves going there too. You love watching this tv show and he loves it too.
All this would lead to a happier union and would be little need for compromise.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Couples Have A Lot In Common Or Is The "Attraction" Between Them Enough? by chiibekee(f): 7:56am On May 06, 2015
The attraction is not enough
Re: Should Couples Have A Lot In Common Or Is The "Attraction" Between Them Enough? by agarawu23(m): 8:03am On May 06, 2015
will be back to comment.

space booked
Re: Should Couples Have A Lot In Common Or Is The "Attraction" Between Them Enough? by alberto2k(m): 8:04am On May 06, 2015
cool
Re: Should Couples Have A Lot In Common Or Is The "Attraction" Between Them Enough? by Young03(m): 8:04am On May 06, 2015
Orijin101:

Is it necessary for couples to have alot in common(e.g lifestyle, political views, religion beliefs etc) or only the attraction between them is enough for their relationships to be enjoyed ?

am yet to marry, when I marry I will debate abt dt.

oya oppossers and proposers go on
Re: Should Couples Have A Lot In Common Or Is The "Attraction" Between Them Enough? by Cutehector(m): 8:04am On May 06, 2015
Attraction won't help wen one spouse likes to watch Ellen degeneres show on dstv and d other one likes to watch E! Channel..
grin

That's why am always particular abt askn d girls I date on their interests and likes... In all aspects of life
Re: Should Couples Have A Lot In Common Or Is The "Attraction" Between Them Enough? by Nobody: 8:10am On May 06, 2015
I dnt lik or watch soccer, buh he does n so addicted, then 'wahala dey o!'
Re: Should Couples Have A Lot In Common Or Is The "Attraction" Between Them Enough? by virginice: 8:11am On May 06, 2015
One of the vital ways I communicate is through music. If he doesn't have my taste of music, how would we communicate? I am not saying we should have a lot in common but same kinda hobbies make the relationship bond better. For ladies, I would say u better learn to love what ur guy loves doing. Men bond by activities they share with ther spouse while women bond by talking to a man who will lend his ears out. Therefore it does have impact in some way to share commons but of course u cannot be with a Man U r not attracted to either.
Re: Should Couples Have A Lot In Common Or Is The "Attraction" Between Them Enough? by ClassyAdewumi(m): 8:12am On May 06, 2015
I feel personally that when you have a lot in common like the ones you listed above it helps out in the relationship subsequently.. It is the biggest advantage to have in a relationship.. If you basically only attracted, mehn... No cum ask me 4 advice o, cos na OYO u go dey
Re: Should Couples Have A Lot In Common Or Is The "Attraction" Between Them Enough? by TheSonOfMark(m): 8:21am On May 06, 2015

Yes, they should.

Apart from the obvious simmering physical attraction between 'missy' and I, the reason we've been together this long is because we are bound by our interests in literature, politics and related worldviews. It isn't uncommon to find us debating.,even in the núde.
The fact that we were friends before we started dating also helps. smiley

And we know how to tame each other in our 'crazy' moments.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Couples Have A Lot In Common Or Is The "Attraction" Between Them Enough? by Nobody: 8:23am On May 06, 2015
@missclasssy, don't you think it will be extremely boring to be in relationship with someone who has the same interest with you.

1 Things you do will never surprises him anymore
2 You will have less privilege of learning new things from him
3 Your outcome sef (i.e children) won't be introduced to different things except what you and your partners know.

1 Like

Re: Should Couples Have A Lot In Common Or Is The "Attraction" Between Them Enough? by Nobody: 8:27am On May 06, 2015
cc: ronald4lif, kingtom, lala247, chiam55, wristwatch, kinglekan, ishilove, godvilla, farano, lalasticlala
Re: Should Couples Have A Lot In Common Or Is The "Attraction" Between Them Enough? by Slimzjoe(m): 8:34am On May 06, 2015
Yup, we should Lots of thinz in common.....
What if I want to watch Madrid vs Juve and she's whining about the Last episode of Vampire diaries?? That's gonna be Disastrous cos I'm not leaving the TV grin
Re: Should Couples Have A Lot In Common Or Is The "Attraction" Between Them Enough? by Nobody: 8:35am On May 06, 2015
Orijin101:
@missclasssy, don't you think it will be extremely boring to be in relationship with someone who has the same interest with you.

1 Things you do will never surprises him anymore
2 You will have less privilege of learning new things from him
3 Your outcome sef (i.e children) won't be introduced to different things except what you and your partners know.

The fact that you have similar interests doesn't mean it's everything you share in common.

Of course adventure is needed for an exciting and interesting relationship, which includes learning new things from your spouse, getting exposed to a couple of stuff you never knew about and the likes but the fact that you share a thing or two with your partner doesn't mean you can't learn new stuff from each other.

I was once in a relationship with someone that could play the piano. Due to the reason that I could also play the piano, we bonded better and our friendship was sealed with a stronger lock. We also had ears for the same kind of music.
But all this didn't mean our relationship wasn't adventurous or exciting, no, it was really exciting.
I learned new stuff from him and became exposed to a couple of things, and all this helped in spicing up our relationship.
Re: Should Couples Have A Lot In Common Or Is The "Attraction" Between Them Enough? by kinglekan: 9:51am On May 06, 2015
Nice contributions @Missclasssy and @TheSonofMark

Attraction would never sustain a relationship and that's not so hard to figure out. I wonder why so many people feel they can hinge the success of their relationship on attraction.

Most times attraction is just a mere facade and as humans we tend to change easily. Certain things that attracted us before don't seem have the same effect in the long run.

This is one of the major reasons most relationships hit the rocks. I believe strongly in the "My best friend" analogy classy gave. As a matter of fact I think one should consider that strongly.

When partners have things in common it bridges communication and helps them express themselves easily. You find that you both have something interesting to discuss or argue about. Having things in common doesn't necessarily mean you would always agree.

For example, you and your partner could be great lovers of football but yet analyse the match differently which brings so much excitement into the relationship. You find that you could argue on a singular topic for hours, automatically making the issue of less communication insignificant in that relationship.

While attraction isn't totally out of place, it shouldn't form our decision in going into a relationship with someone. Else you find yourself in a situation where both of you have very little to discuss about.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Couples Have A Lot In Common Or Is The "Attraction" Between Them Enough? by kinglekan: 10:28am On May 06, 2015
Agarawu23 weldone o. smiley
Re: Should Couples Have A Lot In Common Or Is The "Attraction" Between Them Enough? by ronald4lif(m): 10:54am On May 06, 2015
Certainly it's always advisable to get married to someone who share similar interest as you and it is certainly easier to get through life with a partner who have the same interest as you. But there are exceptions to the rule and sometimes two people who have different interest can make it work.

One should never give up on love because of this because of differences in interest and perception to life. I believe when there's strong attraction and connection these things can fall in line with time.

Like the OP rightly pointed out couple shouldn't have much similar interests or the relationship might get stale after a while. When there are lot of variance of interest it ignite the passion to want to share on the experiences of your partner and do things that delight them.

An empirical example is interracial relationships and marriage. You find yourself in a relationship with someone who in most cases have different interest as yours and vice versa. They get excited about what could really be that thing their lover fancy about a certain interest and just want to share in their experience and joy. I'd never found museum and skating etc, for instance, exciting until I was involve with someone who finds it interesting and took it up as a hobby.

When one is deeply romantically involve with someone their interest will in no time become fascinating to you. And for me I wouldn't mind if we don't share similar interest or just very few common interest. I want to be intrigued by new things and want to take up as much new hobbies as I can.
Re: Should Couples Have A Lot In Common Or Is The "Attraction" Between Them Enough? by zinachidi(m): 11:14am On May 06, 2015
i really dont think attraction is enough, if there are many differences btw u guys, there tends to be disharmony. (Sometimes anyways)
Re: Should Couples Have A Lot In Common Or Is The "Attraction" Between Them Enough? by TheSonOfMark(m): 11:15am On May 06, 2015

Spot on, KingLekan.

As a personal rule, I NEVER date a female who isn't my friend. I prefer the slow ascendance to becoming lovers instead of the quick dive into it. We need to have established a measure of compatibility before we take it to the next level.
There are times when the lovers in us disagree and feud with each other but the friendship we share makes us make efforts to resolve the dispute(s) and whoever makes the first move isn't seen as the lesser one.

By the way, make-up sex could be so awesome and freakywink.

1 Like

Re: Should Couples Have A Lot In Common Or Is The "Attraction" Between Them Enough? by PunkyOh(f): 11:22am On May 06, 2015
Attraction is not enough since you won't be spending the rest of your relationship on top of each other. Having things in common helps, outside the bedroom. You wanna have fun with the person in your life, in & outside the sheets hence you need a healthy combination of the two.
Re: Should Couples Have A Lot In Common Or Is The "Attraction" Between Them Enough? by Nobody: 12:14pm On May 06, 2015
While attraction is not enough its a key element. Common interests does not necessarily mean people are compatible for the long haul i mean we can have different interests and still be very and truly compatible.
Re: Should Couples Have A Lot In Common Or Is The "Attraction" Between Them Enough? by Nobody: 12:22pm On May 06, 2015
Having alot in common is the bang, it makes the relationship a fun fair, u know her likes and dislikes and vice versa.
U know her weakness and strenght, u love watching Telemondo *wink* she loves it too and when u're alone and there's nothing to talk about, u just chip in how Majhid fell in love with Ralph and it starts off a romantic conversation.
She knows u love watching Champions league, and she's left with no other choice but to watch along with u and even end up supporting ur football club...
As a matther of fact, I composed a song "Friends don't say goodbye" and that has been our favourite song especially the Chorus...

Attraction is just a bonus, but i was more attracted to her kind of person, than to her facial beauty.
Good moral values, good Character, fantastic sense of humour, God fearing, always ready to admit to her fault and quick to say am sorry even when she's not @ fault.

1 Like

Re: Should Couples Have A Lot In Common Or Is The "Attraction" Between Them Enough? by Nobody: 12:42pm On May 06, 2015
Orijin101:

Let the debate begin... Fp cc: Lalasticlala
Re: Should Couples Have A Lot In Common Or Is The "Attraction" Between Them Enough? by peeparty(m): 1:03pm On May 06, 2015
I fink communication is a key factor here.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Guy Gets Easiest Date Ever, Solely Because Of His Car / 20 Things You Should Never Do As A Woman!! / My Girlfriend’s Mother Is Pregnant For Me; But It’s Not My Fault!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.