Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,763 members, 7,820,655 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:53 PM

Yoruba Boys And Igbo Gals - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Boys And Igbo Gals (17567 Views)

Yoruba Boys Are Wavy !!!! / Similarity Between Bini And Igbo / Marriage between Yoruba And Igbo people On The Rise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Boys And Igbo Gals by excanny: 6:54pm On Sep 15, 2010
When are we going to have the defining moment on this thread? Many of the authors here have pointed out why folks need to stay away from intertribal marriages. I think the only point that has continued to remain in the grey in all of these arguments is how an intertribal marriage spells disaster.

One thing i know is that as long as cultures are allowed to mix, the possibilities of the sparks of romance between the unlike kinds will and MUST continue to be ignited right under our very nose. So why try to swim against the current? It makes no sense because it's pure hardwork. No matter how ill we speak of it, it's not going to stop it from happening.

Personally, my stand on it changed from negative to positive, considering the fact that it's bound to happen and there's not much that anyone of us can do about it, as long we dont plan to restrict ourselves to our small villages.
Re: Yoruba Boys And Igbo Gals by Nobody: 9:34pm On Sep 15, 2010
A lot of fallacies on this thread. Not surprised it's coming from the usual Igbo suspects.
Re: Yoruba Boys And Igbo Gals by oyinda3(f): 9:40pm On Sep 15, 2010
it's natural for that to happen.
Usually, when a culture is in the process of being absorbed into another, it happens through interethnic/racial marriages. The men from the dominating culture is usually more able to take a wife from the minority culture.
I'm speaking on a smaller scale here ie Lagos state where the dominant culture is Yoruba.
the same will not apply elsewhere in igboland for example. over there, the yoruba women will be more willing to marry a igbo guy. rather than vice versa. there aren't too many yorubas in igboland so this theory cannot really be proved i guess.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Boys And Igbo Gals by gestapo(f): 1:05am On Sep 17, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

Stop fooling yourself, if you believe marriage is solely on love, then you can believe anything. Race and tribe plays an intrinsic role in marriage and no matter how open minded you are, you can never bypass those factors. Even in civilized world, race is still a stumbling block in marital unions. If you think a Fulani family will wholly accept your Ekiti behind when you marry their son, then think again. Same is applicable to other tribes.

A friend of mine broke up with his Ekiti fincee because the girl's mother refused to accept him due to the fact that he is Efik. As a matter of fact, she started by calling him Omo ibo and no matter how hard her daughter try to educate her about his ethnic group, she still complains he is omo Igbo.

Another Ekiti guy I know could not marry his fiancee because his family refused to support the union and threatened to boycott the marriage simply because the lady is Ijebu. Even though both of them resides in UK and the lady was born in UK, they couldn't continue with the marriage because of pressures from the guy's family back home.

Many Igbos do not want their children to marry from Mbise or Ngwaland and it is a fact. They will rather have their children marry Yoruba or oyibo than Mbise or Ngwa and you know Yorubas feel the same about the Ijebu tribe.

So, one can defy family politics and continue with the marriage like some people have done but one also need to think it over because of who will have your back when trouble comes from such unions.

Abeg, help a Sister out, i opened a thread on NL to say i need an husband before the year ends, and though i don't wanna sound negative, e no easy embarassed But i believe God ordered my steps to the direction of this thread tongue

Would it be too much if i asked you kindly to give me the contact details of your Efik and Ekiti friends please, God loves a cheerful giver, y'know cheesy The same God of miracle will provide me with the funds to purchase my airfare ticket to Mbise, Ngwaland, Ekitiland and Ijebuland, Amen cool

This is my year of testimony, somebody help me shout alleluyah cheesy

#come and join me sing Halleluyah
Jehover Jireh as done me well
Come and join me sing Halleluyah
Jehover Jireh has done me well~

#Thank you Jesus
Thank you my Lord
Whatever I am now
It is by your grace . . . . .#
Re: Yoruba Boys And Igbo Gals by EzeUche22(m): 3:56am On Sep 17, 2010
Of course a lot of Igbo mothers would not allow their children to marry someone from Mbaise or Ngwa.

My mother would disown me if I married a Ngwa woman.
Re: Yoruba Boys And Igbo Gals by InkedNerd(f): 6:04am On Sep 17, 2010
EzeUche22:

Of course a lot of Igbo mothers would not allow their children to marry someone from Mbaise or Ngwa.

Hmmm, intersting
Re: Yoruba Boys And Igbo Gals by Metalgong1(m): 6:13am On Sep 17, 2010
EzeUche22:

hahahhahahahaha

Ezeuche in his elements . , . . cheesy
Re: Yoruba Boys And Igbo Gals by oludashmi(f): 12:47pm On Sep 17, 2010
EzeUche22:

On a more serious note, I have heard alot of Igbos not liking the mbise and ngwa people but what is the different? are they not the same igbos? Someone told me they are from a slavery generation or thereabout undecided pls tell me more about them.

oyinda.:

it's natural for that to happen.
Usually, when a culture is in the process of being absorbed into another, it happens through interethnic/racial marriages. The men from the dominating culture is usually more able to take a wife from the minority culture.
I'm speaking on a smaller scale here ie Lagos state where the dominant culture is Yoruba.
the same will not apply elsewhere in igboland for example. over there, the yoruba women will be more willing to marry a igbo guy. rather than vice versa. there aren't too many yorubas in igboland so this theory cannot really be proved i guess.
You made so much sense here oyinda. smiley
Re: Yoruba Boys And Igbo Gals by axeman85(m): 1:52pm On Sep 17, 2010
As some of us have pointed out well here. alot of yoruba uys seems to eb going for the igbo ladies and same vice versa. at the end of the day it all depends on the individuals and their beliefs and them having to reborn themselves to accept each others culture. mostly parents dont usually allow intertribal marriage even the educated ones and you will be shocked with words coming out from their mouth saying yorubas are this, igbos are that. BUt na di same yoruba guy go carry their pikin shopping, treat her well and nice, and same thing vice versa, igbo girl cooks. and does all orts.

its just a low sense of understanding. that people dont geberally accept yoruba/igbo marriages due to ethnice difference. a common cause for concern is that. some igbo girls arent used to doing some certain things especially when they have maids or younger ones who do house chores, etc. and they are pampered. obviously a yourba guy and average one believes hat the girl has to clean the house amongst others and if they dont then they say ooo. igbo dont do this, dont do that.

igbo parents say they dont like yoruba, yet they go to churches pastored by a yoruba man and same goes for yoruba people. you wan climb okada, you use one driven by either tribes and yet you ssay u dont like them. et.c absolute arrant nonsense.
another aspect is the language as an igbo girl if talking to her fellow igbo friend might be talking in their dialect and the yoruba guy will be left out as he doesnt understand a word of what they are saying. but yoruba is easy to understand the meaning of what they are saying.  i am talking from experience. my madam was asking her friend what gift she should buy me and they were sharing ideas and since i didnt undertand i asked deir friend what they were discussing about nad he said they were talking about business.  undecided  i had to believe as i didnt understand.

Most igbo frown on their first daughter poularly know as ADA to marry from outside as they call it. reasons best known to them. to make matters worse if the girls father is a titled chief in their village. BUT still as the saying goes it is he/she who has eaten frm the pot of soup that will tell the world how sweet it is. ,  abi my igbo bros/sis no be so una dey talk am.

I know of a guy who is yoruba and the girl is igbo and 1st daughter. been daiting for over 2yrs and di guy is infact wonderful sooo teee. thee girl proud to sho whim off to everybody who care to listens. BUT issue there is that the girl parents dont support the union simply because the guy is yoruba and from a broken home, which isnt his fault ooo. the guy supports the girl in all means, financially, emotionally.e.tc. and he is 100% faithful to her.

now what am driving at is that becos of this the parents have delayed the girl in getting married to the guy and the girls younger istser 3rd sister is married @ the age of 20 all because the guy she brought home is igbo/delta.

@the end of the day the pressure is now mounting as the guy is in 2minds and so is the girl and they now keep arguing over mior issues due to this pressure from her parents to knot accepting the guy.

Parents shold just BUTT out of marriage issues . let them give their own advice and let the people go ahead with their plans if they are happy its them that will enjoy and if they are not its still them that will reap the rewads.
Re: Yoruba Boys And Igbo Gals by ChinenyeN(m): 2:15pm On Sep 17, 2010
Oyinda, about your theory, that sort of thing is provable, because it is observable, and from what I've observed, you're more or less right. Most to nearly all Yoruba-Igbo marriages that I've witnessed are Igbo male and Yoruba female.

[quote="oludashmi"]On a more serious note, I have heard alot of Igbos not liking the mbise and ngwa people but what is the different? are they not the same igbos? [B]Someone told me they are from a slavery generation or thereabout[/b]  pls tell me more about them[/quote]
undecided Who told you that?
Re: Yoruba Boys And Igbo Gals by oyinda3(f): 5:01pm On Sep 17, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Oyinda, about your theory, that sort of thing is provable, because it is observable, and from what I've observed, you're more or less right. Most to nearly all Yoruba-Igbo marriages that I've witnessed are Igbo male and Yoruba female.

and these marriages you witnessed were in igboland right?
because i would think that igbo man/ yoruba woman marriages will most likely take place in a igbo land. while yoruba man/ igbo woman marriages will most likely take place in yoruba land and lagos.

oh and if the culture is matriarchal like with the African Americans (women are the head of households etc). it is the male that will be married off into the dominant culture.
Nigerians are patriarchal so it is the women of the less dominant culture that are married off to men from the dominant culture
at least that's what i'm theorizing anyways.
Re: Yoruba Boys And Igbo Gals by AloyEmeka5: 6:07pm On Sep 17, 2010
oyinda.:

and these marriages you witnessed were in igboland right?
because i would think that igbo man/ yoruba woman marriages will most likely take place in a igbo land. while yoruba man/ igbo woman marriages will most likely take place in yoruba land and lagos.

[b]oh and if the culture is matriarchal like with the African Americans (women are the head of households etc). it is the male that will be married off into the dominant culture.
Nigerians are patriarchal so it is the women of the less dominant culture that are married off to men from the dominant cultur[/b]e
at least that's what i'm theorizing anyways.

I don't know where you people get information. African Americans do not have matriarchal culture. Women heading households does not equate to matriarchy, rather they (like other Americans from every race) are having marital issues thereby making their divorce rate high. Some of the kids may assume the last name of their mother mostly because their paternity is in question.
A large percentage of African American families like the American culture run on patriarchy. Get your facts right next time.

because i would think that igbo man/ yoruba woman marriages will most likely take place in a igbo land
Another cultural misinterpretation from you. Igbo marriages are held in the brides domain and not the groom's domain. So, if it is Igbo man/Yoruba woman marriage, they will expect the marriage to hold in Yorubaland and vice versa.
Re: Yoruba Boys And Igbo Gals by oyinda3(f): 6:18pm On Sep 17, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

I don't know where you people get information. African Americans do not have matriarchal culture. Women heading households does not equate to matriarchy, rather they (like other Americans from every race) are having marital issues thereby making their divorce rate high. Some of the kids may assume the last name of their mother mostly because their paternity is in question.
A large percentage of African American families like the American culture run on patriarchy. Get your facts right next time.

what are you on about. did you check your dictionary before posting!?
matriarchy is not the same as matrilineality. you are obviously confusing the two. so i should be asking YOU where u got your information from.

matriarchy
n., pl., -chies. In both senses also called matriarchate.

1. A social system in which the mother is head of the family.

2. A family, community, or society based on this system or governed by women.

A family or society in which authority is held by females, through whom descent and inheritance are traced. More generally, a matriarchy is a society dominated by women.
http://www.answers.com/topic/matriarchy

matrilineality on the other hand is where people trace their descent within their mother's family. This is where last names will be used. so yea AA system is still patrilineal.

check this website for the difference:
http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Matriarchy

The only part where I agree with you though is that it is caused by social issues or instability rather than it being a natural occurrence. naturally matriarchal societies are rare.
AA society has been a matriarchy for a while and it will be like that for longer still since things doesn't seem to be changing.
Re: Yoruba Boys And Igbo Gals by AloyEmeka5: 6:30pm On Sep 17, 2010
oyinda.:

what are you on about. did you check your dictionary before posting!?
last name means nothing and is reduced to just a silly contraption if the reason it created in the first place is no longer in function.
to me, AA children might as well take their father's last name just in order to trace and search for their dad in the future. not because they belong to his family.
AA culture is matriarchal. and even Obama will agree.

matriarchy
n., pl., -chies. In both senses also called matriarchate.

1. A social system in which the mother is head of the family.

2. A family, community, or society based on this system or governed by women.

A family or society in which authority is held by females, through whom descent and inheritance are traced. More generally, a matriarchy is a society dominated by women.
http://www.answers.com/topic/matriarchy

Your misconception stems from the fact that you think that mothers being the head of household equates to matriarchy.United States has an institutionalized patriarchy and it doesn't matter whether it is African Americans or Italian Americans or Asian Americans. Don't others who are not African Americans have women who head their households?.   Don't we have mothers in Nigeria who are heads of households?. If we go by the definition you highlighted as the real meaning of matriarchy, does that mean that Nigeria is a matriarchal society?
Re: Yoruba Boys And Igbo Gals by oyinda3(f): 6:33pm On Sep 17, 2010
re-read my post  cool

you are the one with the misconception.

and the thing about institutionalized patriarchy. i don't understand what u mean. that doesn't apply to african american society. to me culture dictates institutions anyways. white americans have a patriarchy because that's how their culture is.  and as far as i'm concerned African Americans have a culture that is distinct from that of White Americans owing to the fact that they've had an isolated experience for centuries.
mothers in naija who are head of households number similarly to african american fathers who are head of households. these numbers are very low.
i don't know why you are trying to argue this because it is very obvious.
Re: Yoruba Boys And Igbo Gals by AloyEmeka5: 6:47pm On Sep 17, 2010
oyinda.:

re-read my post  cool

you are the one with the misconception.

and the thing about institutionalized patriarchy. i don't understand what u mean. that doesn't apply to african american society. to me culture dictates institutions anyways. white americans have a patriarchy because that's how their culture is.  and as far as i'm concerned African Americans have a culture that is distinct from that of White Americans owing to the fact that they've had an isolated experience for centuries.
mothers in naija who are head of households number similarly to african american fathers who are head of households. these numbers are very low.
i don't know why you are trying to argue this because it is very obvious

What is obvious is that African Americans have disintegrated family system due to many factors and one of the consequences of their failed family institution is high number of households headed by women but that does not equate to MATRIARCHY. Martriarchy is a cultural phenomenon and not a circumstantial social norm. From your argument, I can claim that 419 is a culture prevalent in Southern Nigeria and when some Nigerian argues it, I will lay claim to variety of online reports and refuse to accept that there was an erosion of values in Nigeria coupled with economic hardship which led to the proliferation of advance fee fraud BUT it is not an accepted cultural code.

Many African American women are not head of households by choice, rather the situation and the system they find themselves in forced them into becoming the head of households. Your claim that they practice matriarchy is what I have problem with because it is grossly erroneous. I repeat, women heading households does not equate to matriarchy.
Re: Yoruba Boys And Igbo Gals by dayokanu(m): 6:49pm On Sep 17, 2010
I am the one having the misconception
Re: Yoruba Boys And Igbo Gals by oyinda3(f): 1:21am On Sep 18, 2010
aloy emeka,
anyways,  i guess you can create your own definition for yourself. the point i was making earlier was according to the standard definition of matriarchy that i found in a dictionary and cited on here. ie "social system in which the mother is the head of the family"
so i will cease to argue this with you. you can take it up with the person who wrote that entry.

meanwhile, pls post your definition of matriarchy and cite sources that support your definition.
also, if you find another word that is used for the concept i put in bold, pls post it. the concept was what was important for my point anyways. not which word is used to define it and what not. the dictionary told me that matriarchy was d word i was looking for that's why i used it. but it seem that you have a superior source better than the dictionary. so pls help me out here.

Many African American women are not head of households by choice, rather the situation and the system they find themselves in forced them into becoming the head of households

people do not place themselves in a culture by choice. and culture is not created by choice either. it is all based on situation and circumstance.
for example, a group of people will be farmers not because they don't wish to be bankers or engineers. but because their environment or resources supports a farming culture better etc so does that mean that farming is not part of a culture?
your concept of culture is confusing to me. culture encompasses a whole lot of things including social norms. they are intertwined. not separate like you stated. your idea of culture seem to be more like what is learned in primary school. ie ancient pottery and vases. things that are static and never change for centuries.
culture is not static. it is ever changing!! just because something goes against the traditional norm doesn't mean it's not part of culture. it just means that a change or transformation has taken place.
Re: Yoruba Boys And Igbo Gals by ozoemeka(m): 8:30pm On Jan 20, 2013
steaming: i don't know if anyone has noticed it or is it just mi? Yoruba Boys are just marrying Igbo Gals anyhow. But why?

Please what is it about Igbo Gals that keeps attracting Yoruba Boys or what is it about Yoruba Boys that keep attracting Igbo Gals.

please tell mi. i think m finding myself in dat same situation too shocked

What is there not to find attractive in an Igbo girl?
Re: Yoruba Boys And Igbo Gals by tpia5: 9:18pm On Jan 20, 2013
its the big penis, like babyosisi said.
Re: Yoruba Boys And Igbo Gals by druid06(m): 12:52pm On Apr 08, 2013
I am from the South-East and when I read your post, I was like yeah, ok. This is absolutely right. All the serious relationships I've ever had were with Yoruba ladies. Not sure why but I seem to go that way. I think the yoruba girls I've been with were down to earth and understanding even after the relationships, we turned out to be good friends.. There was not to many financial burden on me laid by the yoruba girls. The only time I had a relationship with an igbo girl, it turned out messy. This girl was too materialistic that I had to give up on the dating scene for the main time. She almost made me loose my faith women. This was the only relationship where we ended up being enemies and just the name Sharon sends chills down my spine... It's always going to be a yoruba girl or a fulani for me...Hmm, maybe a vanezuela or a cuban girl next time, who knows LOL..
Re: Yoruba Boys And Igbo Gals by bamako: 1:59pm On Feb 18, 2015
My first post on nairaland
Re: Yoruba Boys And Igbo Gals by tpiah01: 3:48pm On Feb 18, 2015
Not sure why people feel they deserve medals for dating.

Topic has been overflogged, I personally prefer if you just open up and say, ok, we have a quandary- we need dates for our girls/guys, otherwise they run the risk of remaining single.

What's wrong with plain talk?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Full List Of Past Olubadans / Abeg Who Can Teach Me Ekiti? / How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.