Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,757 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:46 AM

Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? (8267 Views)

Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? / Learn How To Speak Hausa Here / Is It Rude To Shake With Your Left Hand? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by follypimpi(m): 12:21am On Feb 07, 2009
I was on the express coach to Bristol, talking to my friend in Yoruba. 

A lady next to me find it very rude speaking in my lingo and told me to go back to my country if I so much want to speak my Lingo, since I am in England, English speaking country.

Do you think is rude speaking your lingo openly in public?
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by Moyola(f): 12:25am On Feb 07, 2009
There's nothing wrong with speaking your language.

Or were you shouting? very typical of some yorubas

1 Like

Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by Nobody: 12:34am On Feb 07, 2009
follypimpi:

I was on da nxpress coach to bristol,talking to my friend in Yoruba,a lady next to me find it very rude speaking in my Lingo and told me to go back to my country if i so much want to speak my Lingo,since am in England,english speaking country.Do you think is rude speaking your lingo openly in public?
I find his very harrd to believe.

Well, you should have pointed to the garbage and tell her to go back to her home. I'm serious!

Maybe she thought you were making snide comments about her, some people are so paranoid!!

I speak my language in public, no one has a problem with it undecided Na only England you go find all this rrubbish. Maybe they're high on tea.
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by chamotex(m): 1:03am On Feb 07, 2009
HeatFusion:

I find his very harrd to believe.

Well, you should have pointed to the garbage and tell her to go back to her home. I'm serious!

Maybe she thought you were making snide comments about her, some people are so paranoid!!

I speak my language in public, no one has a problem with it undecided Na only England you go find all this rrubbish. Maybe they're high on tea.

Sharrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaap dia.Nonsense angry angry angry

@ Pimpin

As long as u weren't shouting. It's okay.
Maybe u've got a loud voice? undecided
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by Nobody: 1:16am On Feb 07, 2009
chamotex:

Sharrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaap dia.Nonsense angry angry angry
Who should sharrap, berra not let me punch your stomach

chamotex:

@ Pimpin

As long as u weren't shouting. It's okay.
Maybe u've got a loud voice? undecided

But for real though, Nigerians do have a loud voice.
Sometimes when I talk to Nigerians, they ask me why I talk so soft. Which is not true, na dem dey talk too loud!
Screaming on the phone as if the other person on the line is deaf.
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by follypimpi(m): 1:17am On Feb 07, 2009
@Chamo

I wasnt even shouting,but we were gistin on sum funny shit,so i was laughing really hard and she felt uncomfortable,i was so vexed the christianity in me,didnt let me slap her mouth.
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by Nobody: 1:18am On Feb 07, 2009
Oh Lawd grin
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by Nobody: 1:19am On Feb 07, 2009
follypimpi:

@Chamo

I wasnt even shouting,but we were gistin on sum funny shit,so i was laughing really hard and she felt uncomfortable,i was so vexed the christianity in me,didnt let me slap her mouth.
Slap a girl? Are you sniffing dog shit?

There are better ways to shut females up than slapping them
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by tope2000(f): 1:21am On Feb 07, 2009
Even i find it embarrassing with the way some naija speaks on the phone in buses or on the train lipsrsealed embarassed
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by chamotex(m): 1:24am On Feb 07, 2009
follypimpi:

@Chamo

I understand but the thing is those National Express coaches are very quiet, if you are on the phone, most people, if not everyone aboard will definitely hear your conversation.

Another thing is, you might not think you are loud but when you start gisting and laughing like you said, you could get carried away.

The fact that you were laughing might have annoyed her, you know how some people are.
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by osisi2(f): 1:26am On Feb 07, 2009
follypimpi:

I was on da nxpress coach to bristol,talking to my friend in Yoruba,a lady next to me find it very rude speaking in my Lingo and told me to go back to my country if i so much want to speak my Lingo,since am in England,english speaking country.Do you think is rude speaking your lingo openly in public?

Nigerians generally talk very loud ,gesticulating with their hands and spitting on their neighbors at times.
I don't mind the person that spoke out.
You were probably screaming out your Yoruba Yoruba and squirming around in your seat  and tapping your feet and clapping your hands like you were going from Oshodi to Iyana Ipaja grin
I've seen Nigerians in airports and grocery stores screaming on top of their lungs like they were at ochanja market.
It's very embarrasing when I see our people acting that way in public.

1 Like

Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by chamotex(m): 1:27am On Feb 07, 2009
HeatFusion:

Who should sharrap, berra not let me punch your stomach

I always knew u were violent.

But for real though, Nigerians do have a loud voice.
Sometimes when I talk to Nigerians, they ask me why I talk so soft. Which is not true, na dem dey talk too loud!
Screaming on the phone as if the other person on the line is deaf.

It's in the DNA of most Nigerians.
I've got an aunt that speaks so loud on the phone, the transmitter sends back her own voice. She 'll be like "I can hear myself"
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by Nobody: 1:28am On Feb 07, 2009
**osisi:

Nigerians generally talk very loud ,gesticulating with their hands and spitting on their neighbors at times.
I don't mind the person that spoke out.
You were probably screaming out your Yoruba Yoruba and squirming around in your seat  and tapping your feet and clapping your handsgrin like you were going from Oshodi to Iyana Ipaja grin

rotflmaooooooooooo, oh gosh!!
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by Nobody: 1:31am On Feb 07, 2009
chamotex:

I always knew u were violent.

It's in the DNA of most Nigerians.
I've got an aunt that speaks so loud on the phone, the transmitter sends back her own voice. She 'll be like "I can hear myself"
My mom does the same. I'm like, I'm right here, no need to scream tongue

I think it has to do with the enviroment they grew up in.,
You know how loud Nigeria is, with all the mechanical noices from okada and tomotoes blender etc.
So maybe they grew up screaming to be heard through all those noise.

Ehrrrm, Toyin is not violent. Quite the opposite.
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by dayokanu(m): 1:38am On Feb 07, 2009
Are u kidding me? Speak your lingo but dont scream. I think in US its quite different. How can u tell a Kokoye(Hispanic) not to speak his lingo? You would have a massive riot in the US, Or Indians Chinese not to speak their language.

I think you have to be considerate when speaking your language in public not to disturb others with it.

My mom speaks as if the farther the person on fone is the louder she needs to speak. can be annoying atimes sha
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by KarmaMod(f): 1:39am On Feb 07, 2009
Lmao England, land of the free.
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by follypimpi(m): 1:40am On Feb 07, 2009
@osisi

Am not a Loud person though over the phone,what she said was she gets offended when people speak other Lingo apart from English,that if i was speaking sum English she won't mind.

@Chamo

I knw how quiet it is on Nxpress but i wasnt even shouting though,cos if i was the driver would have complained and probably tell me to keep it on a down low,is all cos i wasnt speaking English.

@HF

Of course i wouldnt hit her,i dont blv in hitting people or voilence talkless of a lady,is just the fact that she h8's it when people speak any other Lingo apart from English.
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by dayokanu(m): 1:45am On Feb 07, 2009
Follypimpim,

maybe you should bring her to Miami, Texas, California and New Mexico where she can help behead the zillions of Hispanics who cant even understand a word of English
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by follypimpi(m): 1:52am On Feb 07, 2009
@Dayo

how r u man,hope u r gud.I hve never been so angry like i was that day,i was even trying to apologize thinking mayb i was Loud ,then she goes i totally h8 it when people speak in there dialect,my Jaw dropped on the floor like wtf.
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by onyinye2(f): 1:54am On Feb 07, 2009
dayokanu:

Follypimpim,

maybe you should bring her to Miami, Texas, California and New Mexico where she can help behead the zillions of Hispanics who cant even understand a word of English
Seriously your racist comment at the end was so not needed. Only makes you look like an ass.
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by dayokanu(m): 1:56am On Feb 07, 2009
what was racist about that comment?

She should come here and see if she would behead all those many people who cant speak a word of English even in an English speaking country.

That would make her appreciate that theres more to life than speaking English.
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by Sapphic: 2:15am On Feb 07, 2009
Okay, maybe the woman's comment was uncalled for and downright rude, but men I have been on a bus that was headed in the Hackney direction a few times and the amount of loud Yoruba-Ngabtis someone hears there can make one run mad. Plus Nigerians generally tend to speak several decibels louder than everyone else (I do it sometimes too). All those people talking yarn about England. My Igbo friend who lives in New Jersey and works in NY takes those [do you call them interstate?] buses in every morning, she was reading a funny book and spend some time guffawing on the bus. She was told off seriously by some witch on the bus who threatened to get the driver to expel her from the bus. My mate was livid and just continued laughing even when the book was not funny. So abeg, cranky people abound in every country.
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by SeanT21(f): 2:47am On Feb 07, 2009
Ha ha~~I just think you where talking too Loud.If U where speaking in a normal voice she would not have bothered U.
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by Hauwa1: 3:07am On Feb 07, 2009
i thot only Ghana pple speak their language when others are around them. it is not funny when you are talking in foreign language in the presence of another person. the best is you call the person back when you get home. you don't have to tell the whole world you are from nigeria.

i make sure i do not show my nigerianess in public  grin

2 Likes

Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by afiamanu(f): 5:54am On Feb 08, 2009
*Hauwa*:

i thot only Ghana pple speak their language when others are around them. it is not funny when you are talking in foreign language in the presence of another person. the best is you call the person back when you get home. you don't have to tell the whole world you are from nigeria.

i make sure i do not show my nigerianess in public grin
haha thats a big generalization and isnt that kinda not being you if you make it a point not to show ur nigerianess lol, but I dont think that thers a problem with speaking your language, if thats what your more comfortable speaking then speak it! As for that lady, tell her to go jump of a bridge because shes too paranoid. I noticed too that when Africans speak their language thers always some shrewd looks coming their way but when those Asians speak their language I dont hear a peep from anybody!
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by princekevo(m): 6:29am On Feb 08, 2009
*Hauwa*:

i make sure i do not show my nigerianess in public grin

Na waooh Abeg watin be the mean of Nigerianess again,
@topic
This shouldn't be an issue here, a deluded racist who doesn't want to hear other person speak in his/her mother tongue,
Does this lady know u b4 to have such a courage to intrude in ur discussion with a fren?I know Passerby cant jst make such a rude comment to you,
That u are in England doesn't mean u must speak English when talking with someone of the same mother tongue,
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by afiamanu(f): 6:50am On Feb 08, 2009
princekevo:

This shouldn't be an issue here, a deluded racist who doesn't want to hear other person speak in his/her mother tongue,
Does this lady know u b4 to have such a courage to intrude in ur discussion with a fren?I know Passerby cant jst make such a rude comment to you,
That u are in England doesn't mean u must speak English when talking with someone of the same mother tongue,
yup thats true, shes just mad that almost everyone knows her language, I think she should go learn another language and speak it to someone in public, and i know that lingo is means language or whatever but I find it rude of her to refer to your language as "lingo", to me it has a type of negative connotation to it in this context.
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by ezme(m): 8:12am On Feb 08, 2009
Well the situations I have experienced especially in school is from these Lagos people.You might be in a group of five talking and next thing you know after having a debate or something you just hear two of them say something to themselves in Yoruba.This is very annoying.Another annoying part is that the people part of it is that the people that do these are not Yoruba they just live in Lagos and can speak the language.I believe they belong to those sect that believe if you don't live in Lagos you are not seeing life.And a whole lot of them have never been to the island,just come on our faces forming lag people for us.
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by Nobody: 8:35am On Feb 08, 2009
@topic

I bet that the dude was shouting and laughing at the top of his voice like a typical nigerian. If i was there, i would have joined the lady in asking the lost and noisy nigerian dude to move back to africa as soon as possible whether he was speaking queen's english or Ijebu. tongue
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by redsun(m): 10:04am On Feb 08, 2009
Of course if you are making noise on the coach,people will tell you to keep quite,it doesn't matter the language you are speaking,people like it quite on the coach.And as always,we africans like shouting when we talk,i don't know whether it is because of the deafening traffics and loud noises that is always associated with africa towns and cities,people are losing their hearings.

It is like the case of  preachers and hawkers making noise on luxury buses that travels across nigeria or molues in lagos in the name of preaching and selling.
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by xxcarolxx(f): 12:46pm On Feb 08, 2009
There is nothing wrong with speaking your own language in public, but nigerians can be very loud, i remember one time my bf was upstairs on the fone with one of his mates i was down stairs all of a sudden there was a lot of shouting i ran up the stairs thinking some-thing was wrong, i asked him was he ok he asked why, i said it sounded like you were murdering some-one. He didn't realise he was shouting.
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by cvibe: 4:15pm On Feb 08, 2009
Nothing wrong in speaking your language.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Do I Translate This? / Ikwerre Language Is An Edo Dialect And Not Igbo / Igbo Village In Virginia, Usa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.