Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,674 members, 7,816,762 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:40 PM

Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 - Education (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 (96030 Views)

Photo: Mathematician Successfully Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 / Mathematician Successfully Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 / See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by tevinsolt: 4:08pm On May 10, 2015
jonaji:
Very Creative I tell you.... So students in the house.... You can use it to challenge ur teachers grin grin grin
Putting aside the blunders in ur calculation. First lrt define Math. lol what is math? math is a human creation we use in decoding the patterns in nature, if so Nothing will always equal nothing philosophically....with this point of mine, I hope I have been able to confuse and also convince.....that your calculation is B.S (bad science).
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by Yujin(m): 4:14pm On May 10, 2015
wonda26:

10^2 - 10^2 = (10 + 10)(10-10) is very correct.

In mathematics, it is called 'Difference of two squares'

If you doubt, try simplifying the right hand side of the equation
You my friend got it wrong. You're quite correct on the theorem of 'the difference of two squares' but you failed to realize that what stood before you was not two different numbers. The theorem states 'x' and 'y' but there its only one number x. The x is 10 and the y shouldn't be 10 too. This actually is what made his proof wrong.
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by Nobody: 4:19pm On May 10, 2015
brytandre:

E.g in Indices and Logarithm (for ur level)......BODMAS does not account for powers (squares and square roots), exponentials, constants.......lemme not go further

I don't need to solve anything here, do I? I'm sure u get it: Bracket of division multiplication......bla bla bla, the ones I mentioned up is not accounted for and that's y I said it is NEGLIGIBLE!

Haba, you 4 add complex numbers join na.

BODMAS accounts for all of that. Not just detailed. It's a method to teach, simple and clear. This does not make it negligible. It makes it broad and simple. What level do you think I am sef? hehehe. Dont answer that. You will seek to abuse, rather than a honest answer.
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by rukkyland(m): 4:20pm On May 10, 2015
author of confusion.. that is who u are.
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by brytandre(m): 4:21pm On May 10, 2015
scait:
which school you go?
Was the question directed to me?
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by Yujin(m): 4:25pm On May 10, 2015
wonda26:

He applied the rule: 'Difference of two squares'

(a^2 - b^2) = (a + b) (a - b)
And this my friend is where he failed. Look closely and you will see that a=b which means that this theorem cannot be used here. This is where his proof failed mathematically.
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by Yujin(m): 4:25pm On May 10, 2015
wonda26:

He applied the rule: 'Difference of two squares'

(a^2 - b^2) = (a + b) (a - b)
And this my friend is where he failed. Look closely and you will see that a=b which means that this theorem cannot be used here. This is where his proof failed mathematically. The theorem holds true as long as a is not equal to b.
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by brytandre(m): 4:26pm On May 10, 2015
skyope:

Haba, you 4 add complex numbers join na.

BODMAS accounts for all of that. Not just detailed. It's a method to teach, simple and clear. This does not make it negligible. It makes it broad and simple. What level do you think I am sef? hehehe. Dont answer that. You will seek to abuse, rather than a honest answer.

Ever heard of PEMDAS? Paranthesis, exponential, multiplication, division, addition, subtraction.

I'm sure u haven't ....

They make life simplier, but does this not rate higher or prove more useful than ur BODMAS?

You can google PEMDAS if u doubt me. Cheers!
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by chikis(m): 4:27pm On May 10, 2015
Make una dey tell the OP make him dey hear am. Na nonsense him do there?
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by brytandre(m): 4:34pm On May 10, 2015
Yujin:

And this my friend is where he failed. Look closely and you will see that a=b which means that this theorem cannot be used here. This is where his proof failed mathematically.

There is no exclusive rule that says if a=b these does not apply. It is correct as long as the equation is satisfied (I.e (a+b)(a-b)=0)
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by emekachimek: 4:35pm On May 10, 2015
Harmony222:
u simplified d numerator wrongly so u got a wrong answer... u cant cheat nature!!!

Exactly! Looks like it's only the 2 of us noticed that. People getting confused at basic mathematics! O di egwu really

1 Like

Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by sonzo666: 4:40pm On May 10, 2015
The op didn't prove anything coz 0/0 is indefinite!That means It can be be anything eg 2,1/2...etc.......!That is why,for consistency,0/0 is set as indefinite ,otherwise we could have 0/0=0(O/10-N WITHT N==>INFINITE) and 0/0=1(10-N/10-N WHEN N=====>INFINTE).
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by otemanuduno: 4:40pm On May 10, 2015
cupid1:
He started failing it from the point where he struck out 10 and -10,the 10 on top is supposed to equate to -1 when divided by -1 which when put into the equation, will give you 19/10.
And secondly, you cant stricke out numbers that way. They are in brackets in their own different equations i.e an equation in an equation.
So my point is, the person who provided this so called 'proof' is a dullard

U are wrong with your proves. Hr struck out (10-10) from up and down d equation and that's right.
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by SDIEGO(m): 4:45pm On May 10, 2015
Think I found the solution impeccable. Mathematically correct, bt something something I dnt knw will say it's wrong. Good approach anyways!
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by peleson: 4:48pm On May 10, 2015
I like the fact that he can think outside the box
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by WOCKHARDI(m): 4:53pm On May 10, 2015
Mathematically 0/0 is always 1
100-100/100-100 =0/0=1
Any other mathematical solution is a fallacy
Don't use algebra to confuse yourself and others.
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by jonaji(m): 5:07pm On May 10, 2015
Am totally Overwhelmed with your contributions people ... It shows we now value reasoning and not just accept anything brought to us.... This should be one of the best thread on NL....
Keep it coming people .... But why are the Ladies not chipping in
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by logica(m): 5:11pm On May 10, 2015
NairaMode:

Speak in clear terms.
OK sorry. 0/0 is a known paradox (contradiction) that is over at least 2000 years old.

3 Likes

Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by ghananotnaija(m): 5:16pm On May 10, 2015
I WEEP FOR AFRICA! SMH FOR NIGRERIAN EDUCATION! YOU CAN'T CANCEL OUT (10-10) ON BOTH SIDES OF THE FRACTION BECAUSE YOU CAN'T BALANCE A FRACTION BY DIVIDING BY ZERO! BASIC SECONDARY SCHOOL MATHS. NO WONDER THEY SAY NIGERIAN STUDENTS ARE DULL AND NIGERIAN GRADUATES ARE UBENPLOYABLE. GHANAIAN EDUCATION FOR THE WIN!
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by Hitter(m): 5:31pm On May 10, 2015
chaloner:
you have to and must

Eyah
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by khalids: 5:36pm On May 10, 2015
The OP has done well. He has helped us to remember just why BODMAS is important. If the rules of BODMAS is discarded solving of mathematical equations becomes a disaster.

For things to work properly there has to be rules, the rules ensure that you get the right/same result no matter who or where it is applied. Failure to adhere to rules, result in disaster, confusion and chaos.
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by Aghans(m): 5:46pm On May 10, 2015
TONYE001:
Nice..

The mathematical principles applied were TOTALLY correct.

I would not fail this student if I were the teacher... smiley
my dear God bless you, every thing he did was right
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by Aghans(m): 5:52pm On May 10, 2015
ABEngine:

Exactly, my point... You never can get a negative before a square. Correct guy. Vote this chick for me biko, we need technocrats and not Polithievcians & Mathmagicians
my dear go back to ur secondary school mathematics, every thing he did was correct.
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by gentlelarry(m): 5:59pm On May 10, 2015
cupid1:
He started failing it from the point where he struck out 10 and -10,the 10 on top is supposed to equate to -1 when divided by -1 which when put into the equation, will give you 19/10.
And secondly, you cant stricke out numbers that way. They are in brackets in their own different equations i.e an equation in an equation.
not enough prove to prove him wrong! Na olodo you be doubt
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by Ochedi(m): 6:04pm On May 10, 2015
cupid1:

actually u're d wrong one.all mathematical rules were obeyed
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by iamkim7: 6:10pm On May 10, 2015
logica:
If you know about complex numbers, there won't be any need for this sermon. Check what complex number theory defines infinity as.
Alright genius sir,u r right I am wrong. Good. Ava nice day.
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by kennedyugo: 6:12pm On May 10, 2015
ghananotnaija:
I WEEP FOR AFRICA! SMH FOR NIGRERIAN EDUCATION! YOU CAN'T CANCEL OUT (10-10) ON BOTH SIDES OF THE FRACTION BECAUSE YOU CAN'T BALANCE A FRACTION BY DIVIDING BY ZERO! BASIC SECONDARY SCHOOL MATHS. NO WONDER THEY SAY NIGERIAN STUDENTS ARE DULL AND NIGERIAN GRADUATES ARE UBENPLOYABLE. GHANAIAN EDUCATION FOR THE WIN!

Hey,
Are you taking a funny post here too seriously?
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by Nobody: 6:19pm On May 10, 2015
me wey fail all the maths exam I ever sat....na una sabi
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by RedArrow: 6:35pm On May 10, 2015
Mathematics is governed by rules, Zero is a special integer, whenever it appears at the denominator, the expression becomes infinite. The rule cannot be bent. Thanks

Tinkybabe:

You are absolutely correct!

I don't know how the mathematicians came up with the whole 0/0 = infinitity
Cuz simple logic states that any number divided by itself is 1.
So why is zero an exception?

In any case, we have indeed proven that 0/0 is 1.
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by RedArrow: 6:41pm On May 10, 2015
Do you have idea of complex mathematics? Pls do, it will help you to understand that whenever 0 appears @the denominator, the expression is undefined.

brytandre:

Ever heard of PEMDAS? Paranthesis, exponential, multiplication, division, addition, subtraction.

I'm sure u haven't ....

They make life simplier, but does this not rate higher or prove more useful than ur BODMAS?

You can google PEMDAS if u doubt me. Cheers!
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by expertfingers(m): 6:45pm On May 10, 2015
mexzony:
Mathematicaly correct. BUT...... Rules of mathematics applied are absolutely correct BUT... Am impressed honeslty BUT...
LOLs. Everything appears to be right except that there is a BUT....
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by scarr: 6:51pm On May 10, 2015
I just need 20 likes to show the guy was actually wrong with pictorial evidence

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply)

Caleb University, Lagos Cuts Hair Of Students At The Gate (Photos) / Lecturer Gives Kenyan Student MouthAction In Office. Photos Shared On Facebook / Kogi State University,anyigba;2011/2012 Admission List (official Page)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.