Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,469 members, 7,812,436 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:20 PM

Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 - Education (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 (95994 Views)

Photo: Mathematician Successfully Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 / Mathematician Successfully Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 / See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by Nobody: 12:38pm On May 10, 2015
airex:
No sir. It wasn't written like that. What he wrote was 10^2-10^2. However u can try -10^(2) in case u are trying to guess what he did

My brother, -10^2 = -100. Check it out with a scientific calculator.
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by senoreetah(f): 12:39pm On May 10, 2015
Jumbledwords:
Lol, everything was okay till he/she decided to expand 10^2 - 10^2

Its called difference of 2 squares
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by Jumbledwords: 12:40pm On May 10, 2015
senoreetah:

Its called difference of 2 squares

And he/she then proceeded to make a mess of the resulting brackets
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by Nobody: 12:41pm On May 10, 2015
I studied mathematics and statistics.The guy did lubbish..(Rubbish).I mean he did poo..

1 Like

Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by senoreetah(f): 12:41pm On May 10, 2015
thats the problem
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by ERCROSS(m): 12:43pm On May 10, 2015
godofOrijin:
Creative but wrong.

I could arrive @ 1 by doing the following...
(10+10)(10-10) / (10+10)(10-10)
=1

broh.. Ur own maths is wrong too.. U can't get 1 with that equation..
D numerator is equal to zero likewise the denominator. 0/0 will always remain zero...
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by Nobody: 12:44pm On May 10, 2015
koolhunk:

U joking right? Lol
I'm not joking bro. You can try it with a scientific calculator and tell me the answer you got.
-100^2 = ?
(-100)^2 = ?
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by Florblu(f): 12:54pm On May 10, 2015
holiboy:
This can only true in ABIA state where Government does not have fillings for education
Fillings?#smh#
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by Hitter(m): 12:54pm On May 10, 2015
chaloner:
lol you re not a mathematician at all. If n is and element of R and R a real number , then 0/n = 0 , n/0=infinity, 0/0= indeterminate

Wetin you dey try talk.. Indeterminate fire

1 Like

Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by Nobody: 12:57pm On May 10, 2015
ILIDEFI:

I'm not joking bro. You can try it with a scientific calculator and tell me the answer you got.
-100^2 = ?
(-100)^2 = ?
yh in this case u are right. But don't always trust calculators in tricky situations.
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by samopeyemi: 1:01pm On May 10, 2015
The steps seem to be quite logical.
When you prove in maths, you manipulate figures as you like, as long as your steps follow basic maths principles. It is not a must dat you express the numerator and denominator same way (or is dir any mathematical rule backing such?).

Although from existing knowledge 0/0 =undefined, so to say.
I actually saw d proof few years ago on an Indian Facebook Page for engineering students

Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by nduchucks: 1:01pm On May 10, 2015
The mathematician's solution is absolutely correct given current mathematical rules/laws. It simply points out that new rules/theories may need to be formulated to make Mathematics even better than it is, in solving human problems.

The trouble is that since Euclid, Pierre de Fermat, Carl Friedrich Gauss, and a host of other number theorists died, today's mathematicians are no longer developing new theories and laws. They are using computers to do their thinking for them while old mathematicians like Pythagoras used their God given minds alone to do their thinking.

I'm not surprised at the revelations of the OP's. There are more out there by the way.

2 Likes

Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by rizkidrocks(m): 1:02pm On May 10, 2015
Jumbledwords:
Lol, everything was okay till he/she decided to expand 10^2 - 10^2
my dear deres sumtin dey call perfect square in mathemetics..nd dats exactly what he did...what he did was 100% correct..nd u ar dere saying bullshit..c'mon undecided
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by Jumbledwords: 1:04pm On May 10, 2015
rizkidrocks:
my dear deres sumtin dey call perfect square in mathemetics..nd dats exactly what he did...what he did was 100% correct..nd u ar dere saying bullshit..c'mon undecided

Lol, how did the person handle the brackets that followed?
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by croSStodds(m): 1:05pm On May 10, 2015
Adewunmi84:
I studied mathematics and statistics.The guy did lubbish..(Rubbish).I mean he did poo..
Even if u hold a PhD in ur discipline as asserted,saying he did poo is nobody's business.if he's wrong like u presumed,we need proof.
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by Chykman22(m): 1:05pm On May 10, 2015
@jonaji:- please please please, stop teaching students in this forum this kind of rubbish, because if anyone should drag u to a mathematical court, u will get nothing less than death sentence.
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by oieda: 1:05pm On May 10, 2015
First of all, the guy is wrong from the start from his understanding of diving zero by zero.
0/0=infinity

Infinity has two meanings in mathematics that I know:
1. A very large number
2. Any number at all

Tan(90)= infinity (as in the first definition), check it out on more advanced calculators, it's a number x 10^16

0/0=infinity (second definition) cos any number times zero is still zero.

The little I know

. . . . I believe in Jesus
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by CashVessel(m): 1:09pm On May 10, 2015
So wrong; the BODMAS principle was broken. Secondly, 10 x 10 - 10x 10 cannot be 10(10-10). That's an error.
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by stebell(m): 1:09pm On May 10, 2015
cupid1:
He started failing it from the point where he struck out 10 and -10,the 10 on top is supposed to equate to -1 when divided by -1 which when put into the equation, will give you 19/10.
And secondly, you cant stricke out numbers that way. They are in brackets in their own different equations i.e an equation in an equation.
So my point is, the person who provided this so called 'proof' is a dullard

What yu wrote up here as a comment jus shows that yu are one of those guys that detest maths and as such opt to offer law or mass comm.

Believe me the OP is absolutely rite.
Go thro it again this tym as slow as the snail yu will understand hw he got 2 as his answer.

OP, nice one.
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by Nobody: 1:10pm On May 10, 2015
Today,a good topic made front page and a lot of intelligent folks are here.....I mean look at the arguments,each outwitting the other.But they are mostly males so I'm inclined to believe that the females converge at the romance section only.

3 Likes

Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by Prof445: 1:17pm On May 10, 2015
jonaji:
Very Creative I tell you.... So students in the house.... You can use it to challenge ur teachers grin grin grin

mathematical illegal-manipulation. try it for your mathematics teacher/lecturer in exams and quote
me wrong.
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by chaloner(m): 1:17pm On May 10, 2015
Hitter:

Wetin you dey try talk.. Indeterminate fire
just teaching you dear, I believe we are here to learn and I'm teaching you, we have many problems in maths world that has no answer unlike infinity (its an answer) like if you are solving limit of functions you dear not jam indeterminate else you go back and resolve that limit, and it comes to play in rational functions which is a quotient of functions . R(x) is said to be a raional function if thereexist a function Q(x) and P(x) such that R(x) = Q(x)/P(x). Thus if Q(x) = P(x) = 0 then R(x) becomes indeterminate then at this stage you seek some methods of factorization to reduce the function first or if the limits is tending to infinity you have to devide each term with the highest power of that functional variable, or you use the method of L'Hopitals if solving limit in other to excape from the domain of INDETERMINATE. Other indeterminate we have in maths world are , 0/0 , 0 x infinity , 0^ 0 , 1^ infinity , infinity ^ 0 , infinity/infinity , infinity - infinity ( because infinity is not equal to infinity ) my infinity is not your infinity , if I can see from A to B as infinity then you may see from A to C as infinity thus infinity - infinity = indeterminate . Thanks

1 Like

Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by Prinzemel(m): 1:19pm On May 10, 2015
ThiS isn't right at all, what happened to the bracket that suggests multiplication?, and how on earth can(10+10)(10-10) become 20?.
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by stylish27: 1:23pm On May 10, 2015
Dis is exactly how our politicians calculate to steal our money. Is only in nija u see dis kind of criminal brains undecided

2 Likes

Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by chaloner(m): 1:24pm On May 10, 2015
oieda:
First of all, the guy is wrong from the start from his understanding of diving zero by zero.
0/0=infinity

Infinity has two meanings in mathematics that I know:
1. A very large number
2. Any number at all

Tan(90)= infinity (as in the first definition), check it out on more advanced calculators, it's a number x 10^16

0/0=infinity (second definition) cos any number times zero is still zero.

The little I know

. . . . I believe in Jesus
pls 0/0 is not infinity hope you are not a teacher . What's wrong with this country , that a form of indeterminate in maths world , we have many of them . Other indeterminate we
have in maths world are , 0/0 , 0 x infinity ,
0^ 0 , 1^ infinity , infinity ^ 0 , infinity/infinity
, infinity - infinity ( because infinity is not
equal to infinity ) my infinity is not your
infinity , if I can see from A to B as infinity
then you may see from A to C as infinity thus
infinity - infinity = indeterminate . Thanks

Pls 0/0 is not infinity but indeterminate . N/0 is infinity if N is any number

1 Like

Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by Nobody: 1:25pm On May 10, 2015
This is so absurd and awkward. Where is your knowledge of BOMAS
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by chaloner(m): 1:27pm On May 10, 2015
samopeyemi:
The steps seem to be quite logical.
When you prove in maths, you manipulate figures as you like, as long as your steps follow basic maths principles. It is not a must dat you express the numerator and denominator same way (or is dir any mathematical rule backing such?).

Although from existing knowledge 0/0 =infinity, so to say.
I actually saw d proof few years ago on an Indian Facebook Page for engineering students
pls sir 0/0 is not infinity but indeterminatte , stop writing ttrash
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by Nobody: 1:28pm On May 10, 2015
Tinkybabe:

True!

10(1+1)/10(1+1)

=2/2 = 1

I guess, we can prove and disprove mathematics theories as much as we want which shows that maths is not finite.

I admire the guy 's reasoning ability but he flawed when he didn't apply the same mode of expansion to the numerator and the denominator.
1 is a better answer
does not matter at all, this is mathematics and the OP is so so right. I did elect elect and you know we are like maths major
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by Tolubory(m): 1:29pm On May 10, 2015
Dats why Nigeria bi like dis,, we sabi Confuse our brain... Those mathematicians that said 0/0=0 Dem know wetin dem mean. abeg Dat guy is Confused!!!!
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by Nobody: 1:31pm On May 10, 2015
stebell:

What yu wrote up here as a comment jus shows that yu are one of those guys that detest maths and as such opt to offer law or mass comm.

Believe me the OP is absolutely rite.
Go thro it again this tym as slow as the snail yu will understand hw he got 2 as his answer.

OP, nice one.

Seems you're duller than d OP.
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by Nobody: 1:32pm On May 10, 2015
This man challenged the laws and that's just really good. Innovations start from challenging norms
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by taiwotosho22(m): 1:32pm On May 10, 2015
Literally, the workings are correct but mathematically wrong. 0/0 is indeterminable. It could be anything i.e if you use another number apart from 100 to prove u could get another answer. Now OP use old numbers instead of even numbers to prove, u will see that u won't be able to prove it.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (20) (Reply)

Caleb University, Lagos Cuts Hair Of Students At The Gate (Photos) / Lecturer Gives Kenyan Student MouthAction In Office. Photos Shared On Facebook / Kogi State University,anyigba;2011/2012 Admission List (official Page)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.