Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,696 members, 7,809,632 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:15 PM

What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President (6650 Views)

Corrupt Leaders Will Flee Nigeria If Buhari Wins –okorocha / I Will Destroy Nigeria If I Get Arrested – Asari Dokubo Marapolsa / Genuine Reasons South-south May Shut Down Nigeria If GEJ Loses. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by gaby(m): 2:39pm On Sep 12, 2006
Hey Folks, a question for us all, what would you do to better the lot os all nigerians and nigeria economy if you were to be made the president today, lets get your views on this,
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by Sista(f): 4:57am On Sep 13, 2006
I would stop spoiling Europeans with foreign trade. Europeans are not paying top dollar because Nigeria government does no demand it . Europeans are to busy with their hands in the cookie jars of other people so they do not truly respect Nigeria and what Nigeria has to offer. Nigerian government is to busy trying to appeal to Europeans and they will do anything to be good friends with Europeans including cutting them deals that do not benefit Nigeria as a whole, but only benefits the running government in terms of partnering.

If I were the president of Nigeria, I would retrain Nigerian government and the training would revolve around considering Nigeria as a whole.
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by omofineboy(m): 7:35am On Sep 13, 2006
I will not dance to dictates of the world and her allies, I will concetrate on developing my country and empowering its people I do understand that world bank and IMF are part of Nigeria's problems, I will massively carried out people oriented programmes, build industries and stop junketering around the world lastly I wont steal a kobo of Nigeria's money.
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by waledudu(m): 12:39pm On Sep 13, 2006
i wuld create a convinient transport system 4 nigerians.d railway transport in nigeria is dead.i wuld try and build a world class rail system connecting all states of d nation.dis will create jobs 4 nigerians and improve d transport system

1 Like

Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by Nutter(m): 12:45pm On Sep 13, 2006
Divide it.
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by Panache(m): 3:48pm On Sep 14, 2006
Build Good Roads
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by otokx(m): 5:21pm On Sep 14, 2006
I will recall our troops from foreign lands and stop all financial assistance to foreign governments. Provision of public electricity and good health care at a very affoardable rate will be uppermost on my agenda. Transparency in government transactions and encouragement of the private sector participation will be one of my hallmark pillars.
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by nilla(f): 5:28pm On Sep 14, 2006
Like all your ideas.
Nutter's idea i half like. i will only divide Nigeria if thats the best thing for it (if majority of Nigerians want it that way). even though i don't think thats the case now.

My own way of improving Nigeria would be to improve the educational systems and make sure our roads and other infrastructures are well maintained.
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by Nutter(m): 7:01pm On Sep 15, 2006
nilla:

Like all your ideas.
Nutter's idea i half like. i will only divide Nigeria if thats the best thing for it (if majority of Nigerians want it that way). even though i don't think thats the case now.

You half like? So you like it a little, then? OK. Thank you. I think. undecided tongue
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by nilla(f): 7:10pm On Sep 15, 2006
You want to divide it shocked, i won't have a problem if thats what Nigerians want.
I know i don't want it to be divided sad.
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by Chxta(m): 7:16pm On Sep 15, 2006
Most Nigerians don't want the country divided.
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by nilla(f): 7:34pm On Sep 15, 2006
YES grin

So no dividing the country Nutter.
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by Nutter(m): 7:41pm On Sep 15, 2006
Maybe focus should be turned to One-Nigeria stalwarts like King Kong, Atiku, IBB, Uba, Nzeribe, Chxta et al. These fellows are doing a lot more to destroy nigeria than I can ever hope to do. wink
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by Chxta(m): 7:46pm On Sep 15, 2006
If I were made president today (which won't happen anyway) a lot of new jails would be built. There are a lot of people running free back home that need to be guests of the government. Starting with the top two men in the country.

After that, there would be a total revamp of the judiciary. I think a lot of our problems stem from the fact that Naija is a lawless land. And why won't it be lawless when there are so many operating under the belief (true belief thus far) that they are above the law.

Once that is sorted, I will face NEPA (I am an electrical engineer). If I can successfully sort that out, I will deem myself to be a successful president.

Then there is the issue of Cameroon. To which I can only say: si vis pace para bellum. . .

My dear bros Nutter, gi ka mu me ngi? What have I done to destroy Naija? I have thus far in my life proudly proclaimed and held up Naija as you very well know. My profile on an extremely international forum. . .

I take exception to being mentioned in the same sentence as Nzeribe. This could get very personal.

And besides, in that list you mentioned, only KK (read Obj for those who may not know) has actually worked for one Nigeria. FAN has done more to destroy Naija than most, and Uba started out with your (my) state.
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by Nutter(m): 8:04pm On Sep 15, 2006
@Chxta,

Steady on, mate. You seem to be in a very stroppy mood today. From the Sports thread to Politics . . . .

To be honest:

1) I put your name right after Nzeribe's because I know of your deep-seated hatred for him.

2) I consider you an inadvertent enemy of nigeria because you asked the South-South to shut up (among other things). Old and fiercely debated news, I know, but I still do not think your recommendation for silence does anything to help a country which is facing its major problems because its citizens have not yet been afforded the opportunity to speak openly and honestly about its problems.

*The idea was not to attack your person as I'm sure you know (in that deep, secret place within). However, my apologies are tendered without reservation. You are, after all, my ‘best buddy’ on Nairaland.

@Chxta and nilla,

If nigeria’s leaders were so sure that the majority of nigerians would choose unity over separation, there would have been no hesitation to introduce it as an item of great importance in the Constitutional debate. There is no surer way of destroying MASSOB and its likes. Instead, valiant efforts were made to ensure that that subject was never broached. What conclusions do you draw from that?
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by nilla(f): 8:16pm On Sep 15, 2006
I don't know why the subject was never brought up.

But still,

Who really wants us to divide.
I don't think the north wants that
the west don't want that.
for the minorities it won't make a difference cos they will still be a minority, except of course after Nigeria is divided into 2, the south will continue to divide.

Quick question Nutter, what do Nigerians stand to gain from a divided Nigeria?
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by mochafella(m): 8:28pm On Sep 15, 2006
Nutter:

@Chxta and nilla,
If nigeria’s leaders were so sure that the majority of nigerians would choose unity over separation, there would have been no hesitation to introduce it as an item of great importance in the Constitutional debate. There is no surer way of destroying MASSOB and its likes. Instead, valiant efforts were made to ensure that that subject was never broached. What conclusions do you draw from that?
Seperate or together, we will still have the same band of looting politicos. I say solve that first and then think about seperation or togetherness. 130 million people in a single country is a huge economic advantage though, especially within Africa.

nilla:

The west doesn't care as long as they have access to the Natural resources Oil. Certainly they don't want a humanitarian disaster or military conflict, but they will not intervene if their interests are not directly threatened.

@Topic
Rail lines and Electricity. No economy takes off without power supply and transportation. If cargo moves to rail, the roads will last longer without the 18-wheelers wearing them out. The government should stay out of overt job creation, they are inefficient at it. Make it easy for private individuals to "do business". Give the import merchants tax breaksthey don't pay tax anyway if they source/manufacture their products in the country.
Screw the idea of foreign investment. Nigerians overseas will deploy their financial muscle instead if they perceive that a serious govt is in place.
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by Nutter(m): 8:35pm On Sep 15, 2006
@nilla,

It came up (several times) but was deliberately squashed with a ferocity only common in nigeria (and perhaps Uganda during the time of Idi Amin).

But still,

for the minorities it won't make a difference because they will still be a minority, except of course after Nigeria is divided into 2, the south will continue to divide.

The East and our Niger Delta brothers and sisters want out. There will not be the question of them being minorities because they would have a nation of their own. After their hard graft in the nigerian experiment, they deserve it.

Off the top of my head? Better governance, greater security of lives and property, more robust economic development, greater accountability, fast-tracked infrastructural development and maintenance, a well-defined middle class, freer trade, imprisonment of King Kong and his band of merry goons, et cetera. *Plus Nutter would be a much happier bloke* wink
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by nilla(f): 8:40pm On Sep 15, 2006
Nutter,

I'm going to assume your Ibo and thats because most of the people that i've come across that want Nigeria divided are Ibos. Why is that?
Don't you think if we divide into North and South, that the South will further divide, when the Niger delta area decide they will do much much better if they break away from the South.
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by Nutter(m): 9:02pm On Sep 15, 2006
@nilla,

Most Igbo want a break from nigeria because we are the despised of the country. nigeria is run in a manner that doesn't promote the inclusion of all. Our marginalisation is real. The only ones who perhaps have it worse than we do are those in the Niger Delta. Have you been there? Or have you seen the scale of underdevelopment on TV? Those are sights that burn themselves on the retina of the watcher. Therefore, and having become aware of how marginalisation can hinder a people, I am in full support of the emergence of a Niger Delta Republic - by any name and in any form so chosen by its people.
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by nilla(f): 9:21pm On Sep 15, 2006
actually I'm from the Niger delta area, so i know all what it is your talking about.

Nutter:

Most Igbo want a break from nigeria because we are the despised of the country.

I don't know where you get that from. I think thats just what you think. I certainly don't despise Igbo people and i'm sure many people don't too. But i know its the igbos mostly that are clamoring for the split up of Nigeria.
I really think if Nigeria splits up, it would only be a matter of time before it further splits again.
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by Chxta(m): 9:30pm On Sep 15, 2006
Nutter:

@nilla,

It came up (several times) but was deliberately squashed with a ferocity only common in nigeria (and perhaps Uganda during the time of Idi Amin).

You forgot China (Tibet and Hong Kong), the Soviet Union under Iosef Dzhugashvili, The United Kingdom (under kings from Edward I up until George V), and the United States under Abraham Loncoln. Erm, no one ever talked of dividing Uganda under Idi Amin.

But still,

for the minorities it won't make a difference because they will still be a minority, except of course after Nigeria is divided into 2, the south will continue to divide.

The East and our Niger Delta brothers and sisters want out. There will not be the question of them being minorities because they would have a nation of their own. After their hard graft in the nigerian experiment, they deserve it.

Some interest groups in both the East and the Niger Delta especially, but also interest groups present in both the North and the West want the country divided. They all feel that they will be better off that way. What they haven't taken into account (IMHO because they are selfish interests) is the effect that such a break up would have.

Off the top of my head? Better governance, greater security of lives and property, more robust economic development, greater accountability, fast-tracked infrastructural development and maintenance, a well-defined middle class, freer trade, imprisonment of King Kong and his band of merry goons, et cetera. *Plus Nutter would be a much happier bloke* wink

Better governance like we've had in Anambra State over the last 36 years (*check), greater security of lives and property like they would have in the west when they start fighting themselves as is usual (*check), greater accountability like Odili, Ibori, Igbinedion, Alams and Jonathan are giving now (*check), fast-tracked infrastructural development and maintenance(my favourite) like my brothers in Oba did to help with the building of the airport there (*check), a well-defined middle class like applies in the North where the almajiri roam freely and are encouraged not to go near a school (*check), freer trade when we would all be fighting ourselves (*check), imprisonment of King Kong and his band of merry goons since they would all be part and parcel of the various new governments in power and would be busy fuelling the war that would be fought (*check).

As for you being a happier bloke, I believe that when Naija starts doing well, not when Naija divides, you nwannem would be a much happier bloke.
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by Nutter(m): 9:33pm On Sep 15, 2006
@nilla,

actually I'm from the Niger delta area, so i know all what it is your talking about.

Good. At least on that level our positions can connect.

I don't know where you get that from. I think thats just what you think.

No it isn’t, actually. The nigerian situation proves me right.

I certainly don't despise Igbo people and i'm sure many people don't too.

Feel free to speak for yourself but you will find that the Igbo have been embroiled in a nigerian conspiracy since the 1940s.

But i know its the igbos mostly that are clamoring for the split up of Nigeria.

Even after bearing the brunt of a genocidal war, why do you think this is still the case?

I really think if Nigeria splits up, it would only be a matter of time before it further splits again.

Not if it is split properly the first time round. We need to allow people decide where they want to be. If we don’t, the problem will only linger. The British didn’t ask us, hence the current stalemate.
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by Chxta(m): 9:36pm On Sep 15, 2006
Nutter:

Not if it is split properly the first time round. We need to allow people decide where they want to be. If we don’t, the problem will only linger. The British didn’t ask us, hence the current stalemate.

Erm neither did they ask the Ghanaians, or the Kenyans, or pretty much every country in Africa. Are you suggesting that all countries on the continent break up along ethnic (read tribal) lines?
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by nilla(f): 9:45pm On Sep 15, 2006
you will find that the Igbo have been embroiled in a nigerian conspiracy since the 1940s.

At least the Igbo's are recognized, what about other minor tribes.

The problem I usually have with the split most Igbo's want is, They want to split and include the niger delta with them.
But how do we know that split is also the best thing for the Niger delta.

I want to be in Nigeria (One Nigeria) or else i want to be in Niger delta country or worst case scenario my state country  tongue
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by otokx(m): 9:56pm On Sep 15, 2006
what is all this?

divide ke?

Tu fia kwa
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by nilla(f): 9:58pm On Sep 15, 2006
otokx i concurr with you. TU FIA KWA cheesy
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by Nutter(m): 10:16pm On Sep 15, 2006
@Chxta,
You forgot China (Tibet and Hong Kong), the Soviet Union under Iosef Dzhugashvili, The United Kingdom (under kings from Edward I up until George V), and the United States under Abraham Loncoln. Erm, no one ever talked of dividing Uganda under Idi Amin.

Erm, I highlighted the Ugandan example to depict the intolerance that pervaded Uganda during the time of Amin and nothing else. This level of intolerance was demonstrated during the Constitutional Conference. Read my sentence again.

Some interest groups in both the East and the Niger Delta especially, but also interest groups present in both the North and the West want the country divided. They all feel that they will be better off that way. What they haven't taken into account (IMHO because they are selfish interests) is the effect that such a break up would have.

I cannot speak for the West or the North. Concerning the East, remember the MASSOB stay-at-home directives observed by millions of Igbo all over the country? This is far from an esoteric agenda championed by nameless and faceless individuals. The following is much greater. Calling a lion a mouse will take nothing away from its nature or its purpose.

Better governance like we've had in Anambra State over the last 36 years (*check),

When did Anambra begin its severe degeneration? First under Mbadinuju and later 'under' Uba with support from Aso Rock. Next!

greater security of lives and property like they would have in the west when they start fighting themselves as is usual (*check),

Again, I cannot speak for the West. However, even if that were so in the East, it will be a lot better than the almost yearly massacres that have become sport for the idle in Northern Nigeria. Next!

greater accountability like Odili, Ibori, Igbinedion, Alams and Jonathan are giving now (*check),

Again, all done under the watchful eyes of Aso Rock until they fell (or fall) out of favour. Are they corrupt? Yes. What is EFCC (King Kong's baby) doing in that regard? Nothing! Will it be easier to steal if they had to answer directly to their people? No! Next!

fast-tracked infrastructural development and maintenance(my favourite) like my brothers in Oba did to help with the building of the airport there (*check),

The Igbo remain the only group that donated money amongst themselves to build an airport. Next!

a well-defined middle class like applies in the North where the almajiri roam freely and are encouraged not to go near a school (*check),

They are also encouraged to attack the Igbo. Let's not forget that. Also, Igbo culture is so different from that up North that no comparison can poke its head above the rafters and survive. Next!

freer trade when we would all be fighting ourselves (*check),

You assume this for no other reason than to bolster your argument. The facts however indicate a stifling of the Igbo inventive flair in present day nigeria. Think of the developmental progress ‘Aba Made’ goods would have experienced if this wasn’t the case. Other countries started that way. Refer to India and the Asian Tigers. Next!

imprisonment of King Kong and his band of merry goons since they would all be part and parcel of the various new governments in power and would be busy fuelling the war that would be fought (*check).

The recent Igbo Summit in Owerri where so-called Igbo leaders were denied the right of speech demonstrates what the Igbo can and would do within their own domain. Next!

As for you being a happier bloke, I believe that when Naija starts doing well, not when Naija divides, you nwannem would be a much happier bloke.

At least we agree that nigeria is not doing well. The reason is simply because our ‘leaders’ have refused to allow us discuss these options in the open. As long as that continues, there will be suspicion, fear, animosity and a progressive distancing of minds (and subsequently, inevitably, selves) from the failed project that is nigeria.

Erm neither did they [British] ask the Ghanaians, or the Kenyans, or pretty much every country in Africa. Are you suggesting that all countries on the continent break up along ethnic (read tribal) lines?

The case of nigeria is far more complex than that of Ghana or Kenya. Let’s be realistic here. With over 400 different tongues, we either talk (not by patronage or condescension but genuine engagement) or divide. There is no middle ground.

Next!

*Why haven’t you accepted my apology nwanne? O di kwa mma?
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by nilla(f): 10:20pm On Sep 15, 2006
Nutter

Ogi ni ne me grin ?
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by Nutter(m): 10:32pm On Sep 15, 2006
@nilla,

At least the Igbo's are recognized, what about other minor tribes.

This is why I have been writing about giving everyone a voice. All groups need to be heard. Nothing else will work if this is not done.

The problem I usually have with the split most Igbo's want is,  They want to split and include the niger delta with them.

This is not the case. The Igbo want an Igbo Nation. For any kind of collaboration in this regard, all parties will have to enter freely and willingly.

But how do we know that split is also the best thing for the Niger delta.

Is the current arrangement helping the Niger Delta? You guys were not even allowed to have 25% of what you have been running the country on while your rivers are polluted and your land condemned.

I want to be in Nigeria (One Nigeria) or else i want to be in Niger delta country or worst case scenario my state country   

You have my blessing and my support – as long as the greater majority of your people are in favour.

Ogi ni ne me   

Onweghi ife ne me.  cheesy
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by nilla(f): 10:36pm On Sep 15, 2006
Onweghi ife ne me.

i don't know what you just said oh. I know just a few igbo phrases. n-nuna
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by Nutter(m): 10:50pm On Sep 15, 2006
@nilla,

You asked me 'what was happening' and I replied 'nothing' or 'all is well'.

What part of the Niger Delta are you from? You really should learn more Igbo. We will be trading with you lot after nigeria's split. This is the time to build bonds across nigeria's carcass. cheesy tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

NEVER KNEW A TOUGH GENERAL AS BABANGIDA CAN WEEP FOR ANYTHING!!!!! / Breaking News - Gov Seriaki Dickson Wife Is Dead ( Pic ) / Buhari Orders EFCC To Probe Aisha Buhari And Her Family! First Lady Seeks Asylum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.