Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,894 members, 7,817,628 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:53 PM

What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President (6663 Views)

Corrupt Leaders Will Flee Nigeria If Buhari Wins –okorocha / I Will Destroy Nigeria If I Get Arrested – Asari Dokubo Marapolsa / Genuine Reasons South-south May Shut Down Nigeria If GEJ Loses. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by Nutter(m): 7:18pm On Sep 25, 2006
xkape:

A good regime for KK would be to lock him in  a cage with a female gorrilla

Nah, let’s make that a male gorilla! I’d pay good money to see that - on second thoughts, maybe not.

ono:

Hmn, I see brother Nutter has taken Chxta and one nilla headlong. I hail o! Nothing could best solve our problems in this country other than breaking up. It's the ultimate solution, believe me. And the divided components will achieve much after the great divide. It's just a matter of time, we'll be there.

Thanks my brother and my neighbour. I’ve been trying to get them to prepare for the inevitable but dem no wan hear. Abeg I need your help.

We stop fighting when we stop breathing. Aluta Continua; Victoria Acerta!!
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by nilla(f): 8:36pm On Sep 25, 2006
lol
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by Chxta(m): 3:29pm On Sep 26, 2006
Nutter I'll reply you on that last monologue when I have the time. How u dey?

ono:

Hmn, I see brother Nutter has taken Chxta and one nilla headlong. I hail o! Nothing could best solve our problems in this country other than breaking up. It's the ultimate solution, believe me. And the divided components will achieve much after the great divide. It's just a matter of time, we'll be there.

As for you, why don't you bring out points of your own instead of waiting for brother Nutter to come and save the day? Anyways, when I am back here fully, I'll respond.

To all, any one who thinks that the divided components of Nigeria would have it better than the whole only needs to take a look at our states.
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by Nobody: 3:41pm On Sep 26, 2006
Break up Nigeria ASAP leaving the north the option of either remaining a nation state of her own (albeit unviable!) or joining Niger republic.

Turn the south into a loose federation with a weak center preferably with capital in Lagos or Calabar! Change the flag, national anthem and have a national moto or creed!
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by Chxta(m): 3:53pm On Sep 26, 2006
Yes, and have the South continue fragmenting (and fighting themselves) while you are at it, with the North eventually launching an invasion to get at the resources (oil which brings quick wealth, I kid you not), and eventually a scenario that would destabilise the whole West African sub region.

Is that what you really want?
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by Nobody: 3:58pm On Sep 26, 2006
and we will fold our arms while the northern hoodlums come to "invade" us? Why would they be invading the south to get at what resources? the rosources they forgot here or what?

The south is fragmenting simply because we have a monetised culture! Everyone wants a state or LG not because they love their people but because its another way to milk the federal allocation! With resource control and every community held accountable for their resources, there'd be less scramble for "oil money"!
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by Chxta(m): 4:04pm On Sep 26, 2006
Resource control? Don't make me laugh.

davidylan:

and we will fold our arms while the northern hoodlums come to "invade" us? Why would they be invading the south to get at what resources? the rosources they forgot here or what?

The south is fragmenting simply because we have a monetised culture! Everyone wants a state or LG not because they love their people but because its another way to milk the federal allocation! With resource control and every community held accountable for their resources, there'd be less scramble for "oil money"!

Once again (in another argument though) you have proved my point for me. A monetised culture will not simply disappear would it? So what prevents some people from the South (like they've always done anyways) from selling out to the North?
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by Nobody: 4:08pm On Sep 26, 2006
the reason Nigeria takes half a step forward and 19 backward is because of people with pessimistic mind sets like you. And what makes you think resource control is an unworkable idea? Simply because the north has used its numerical advantage and its intellectually bankrupt leaders to push us in the opposite direction for their parasitic benefits?

Yes, even Americans are selling out to Russians for money! We would definitely have southerners selling out to northerners but the truth of the matter is you only put your mouth where your belly is, after a few yrs on their own, the north wont have any financial clout to be able to draw southerners to their support. Only a fool will demand a return of the north after a few yrs of living without them!
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by Chxta(m): 4:15pm On Sep 26, 2006
davidylan:

the reason Nigeria takes half a step forward and 19 backward is because of people with pessimistic mind sets like you.

Pessimistic:
pes‧si‧mis‧tic  /ˌpɛsəˈmɪstɪk/
–adjective
pertaining to or characterized by pessimism; gloomy: a pessimistic outlook.

It depends on which side of the coin you choose to look at it from. I am pessimistic about the chance of success of the component parts of Nigeria as individual nations because like I always state here, I have gone round the country and I have seen how far.

You (and my best friend around these parts ) are pessimistic about the outlook of Nigeria as a nation, due to personal experiences (I assume).

As things currently stand, we have one Nigeria, not 250 individual nations, so let us work with what we have. That being the case, who is being the pessimist?
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by Chxta(m): 4:17pm On Sep 26, 2006
davidylan:

And what makes you think resource control is an unworkable idea? Simply because the north has used its numerical advantage and its intellectually bankrupt leaders to push us in the opposite direction for their parasitic benefits?

Resource control is quite unworkable because even with that, it would be the same set of individuals running the show. The same way they've been running it since 1960!
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by Nobody: 4:22pm On Sep 26, 2006
Chxta:

Resource control is quite unworkable because even with that, it would be the same set of individuals running the show. The same way they've been running it since 1960!

I agree with you, infact a decent government is quite unworkable since it would be the same set of individuals running the show. Infact is it possible that good social infrastructure is still workable in Nigeria, afterall it is the same people running the show. Corruption can never be stopped, the police will always remain corrupt, we can never even progress, afterall its still the same people running the show. With all these people running the show, can we ever aspire to be president or is this topic not redundant?

With these people running the show why are we still engaged in debate over Nigeria, afterall everything is unworkable abi?
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by Chxta(m): 4:24pm On Sep 26, 2006
davidylan:

Simply because the north has used its numerical advantage and its intellectually bankrupt leaders to push us in the opposite direction for their parasitic benefits?

Yes, even Americans are selling out to Russians for money! We would definitely have southerners selling out to northerners but the truth of the matter is you only put your mouth where your belly is, after a few years on their own, the north wont have any financial clout to be able to draw southerners to their support. Only a fool will demand a return of the north after a few years of living without them!
North? Numerical advantage? Last time I checked it was the North and the West that ganged up to bring the East back into the fold when the East wanted to leave. During that conflict, the South joined with the North and the West to silence the East. Ever heard of Asaba, October 7 1967? Or Ihiala, January 12-16 1968?

Erm, when you talk of intellectually bankrupt leaders, you should include in that list Obasanjo (I notice he is called KK around these parts nowadays), Odili, Igbinedion, Kalu, Fayose, Ibori, Nnamani, Oyinlola, I could go on. Then you could remove Mu'azu, Turaki, Markafi and that bloke in Kwara (his name skips me at the moment). Point is this, the North has no monopoly of bankrupt leaders.

One more thing, we always talk about resources as if all the resources in Nigeria are located in the South (sorry, Niger Delta). Where does almost all the food we eat in Naija come from?
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by Chxta(m): 4:26pm On Sep 26, 2006
davidylan:

I agree with you, infact a decent government is quite unworkable since it would be the same set of individuals running the show. Infact is it possible that good social infrastructure is still workable in Nigeria, afterall it is the same people running the show. Corruption can never be stopped, the police will always remain corrupt, we can never even progress, afterall its still the same people running the show. With all these people running the show, can we ever aspire to be president or is this topic not redundant?

With these people running the show why are we still engaged in debate over Nigeria, afterall everything is unworkable abi?
Human beings are basically corrupt, and all Nigeria needs is the rule of law. Madlawyer hit the nail on the head when he said reform the judicial system.

The problem with Nigeria now (and for the last 40 years) has been that/is when you are in a certain position, and you do something, you can get away with it. Once people know that they can't get away with shit, they would stop doing shit. Get my drift?
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by Nobody: 4:31pm On Sep 26, 2006
undecided

REFORM!

Arguably the most bastardised word in Nigerian political dictionary

Reform: A word that attempts to describe the attempt by a ruling cabal to pacify the people while the public treasury is bing plundered
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by Chxta(m): 4:34pm On Sep 26, 2006
Reform: to form again

Genuine reform is possible. Tell me, you live in the US. Ever heard of Alphonse Capone?
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by Nobody: 4:39pm On Sep 26, 2006
Chxta:

Genuine reform is possible. Tell me, you live in the US. Ever heard of Alphonse Capone?

Yeah genuine reform is possible, with plenty of pain

Examples of reform: increased fuel prices, sacking of 35,000 federal civil servants!

so much for reform
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by Chxta(m): 4:40pm On Sep 26, 2006
Other examples of reform: the Thatcher years, Deng Xiao Ping?

Edit: Nice crossing swords with you again. Have to get back to class now. Vayan con Dios.
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by Nutter(m): 6:41pm On Sep 26, 2006
@Chxta,

I’m doing well. Been very busy with work but . . . I hope you are keeping well yourself.

The questions I raised shall patiently await your attention. I am particularly interested in any defence you may want to present for India and Indonesia - country examples which you provided. Also, you will do well to address the recent attacks in Northern nigeria. Every time I speak out about these absurdities and am challenged, the almajiris are always on hand to provide distasteful vindication.

Meanwhile, why are you always having a go at Ono? When I write, I try my best to present only the facts. It is these facts that Ono agrees with and not necessarily me. There is a difference. Moreover, what does it matter who presents the facts? Me, Ono, Mickey Mouse, or even, you? The focus should be on the facts and not on extraneous matters. Try to see that and stop(!) making this personal. You are giving off the impression that you hold a grudge.

I think you got really exposed by your: “it would be the same set of individuals running the show” refrain. If breakaway nations will not work because of these people, how then can nigeria? Tut, tut, tut.
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by Chxta(m): 2:22pm On Sep 27, 2006
Nutter:

Meanwhile, why are you always having a go at Ono? When I write, I try my best to present only the facts. It is these facts that Ono agrees with and not necessarily me. There is a difference. Moreover, what does it matter who presents the facts? Me, Ono, Mickey Mouse, or even, you? The focus should be on the facts and not on extraneous matters. Try to see that and stop(!) making this personal. You are giving off the impression that you hold a grudge.

And how am I making it personal when I showed here (there are many other instances which time would not permit me to delve into) that I never start the personal attacks. But it really makes having a discussion irritating when people (like Ono) begin to call me names instead of having an enlightened banter like we do, you and I. The focus in my dialogues with you have remained facts, or has it not?

I think you got really exposed by your: “it would be the same set of individuals running the show” refrain. If breakaway nations will not work because of these people, how then can nigeria? Tut, tut, tut.

Half full bottle, half empty bottle. Let me throw back the question at you: Nigeria is not working because of these individuals, how then would the break away nations?
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by Nobody: 2:58pm On Sep 27, 2006
No wait Chxta,

You claim the break away countries wont work as long as we still have the same recycled politicians, since these arsinine men are the ones presently in power, is it any wonder Nigeria is not working at all?
Does common sense not indicate that a break up will definitely lead to a shake up of those in power? If the south went its way, whence will we sit down allowing idiots like Babangida to still be laying claim to the presidency? Will Atiku force himself on the south to be president? Will the likes of Buhari have the nerves to still be hankering for rotational presidency? Will the likes of Ibrahim Mantu decide to decieve us by enshrining life presidency in our constitution?

With the devolution of powers to the units and decentralisation of power, will we still have the near fatal brawl for the top job?
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by Nutter(m): 3:08pm On Sep 27, 2006
Chxta:

And how am I making it personal when I showed here (there are many other instances which time would not permit me to delve into) that I never start the personal attacks. But it really makes having a discussion irritating when people (like Ono) begin to call me names instead of having an enlightened banter like we do, you and I. The focus in my dialogues with you have remained facts, or has it not?

Actually, the insults started with the topic asking the South-South to shut up. Ono only responded by asking you to shut up as well. You can see that, can't you?

Half full bottle, half empty bottle. Let me throw back the question at you: Nigeria is not working because of these individuals, how then would the break away nations?

No, I think you should be asking yourself why the breakaway nations shouldn't be given a chance if nigeria (by your owm admission) isn't working.
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by Chxta(m): 3:15pm On Sep 27, 2006
davidylan:

No wait Chxta,

You claim the break away countries wont work as long as we still have the same recycled politicians, since these arsinine men are the ones presently in power, is it any wonder Nigeria is not working at all?
Does common sense not indicate that a break up will definitely lead to a shake up of those in power? If the south went its way, whence will we sit down allowing idiots like Babangida to still be laying claim to the presidency? Will Atiku force himself on the south to be president? Will the likes of Buhari have the nerves to still be hankering for rotational presidency? Will the likes of Ibrahim Mantu decide to decieve us by enshrining life presidency in our constitution?

With the devolution of powers to the units and decentralisation of power, will we still have the near fatal brawl for the top job?
Let's assume for the sake of simplicity that Naija were four countries (giving the South-South their own). Babangida and Atiku (both corrupt) would stake a claim for what is now Northern Nigeria. Fayose, Akande and some others would stake a claim for Western Naija. Kalu, Nnamani and Nzeribe () would stake a claim for the East. In the South, we'd have people like Odili, Ibori and Igbinedion running the shows.

AM I WRONG?

Nutter:

Actually, the insults started with the topic asking the South-South to shut up. Ono only responded by asking you to shut up as well. You can see that, can't you?

No I can't. I expect people to be smarter than just responding to the title of an article without reading its contents. Which is what he did. I daresay that he hasn't read that article till date based on his responses.

No, I think you should be asking yourself why the breakaway nations shouldn't be given a chance if nigeria (by your owm admission) isn't working.
Because the break away nations had their chance in 1967, and instead of taking that chance fought a war to bring the one part that was bold enough to try to take the opportunity back into the fold. Since we have spilled blood to solidify the union, the union must remain. It can work if given the chance, AND IT WILL WORK.
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by Nobody: 3:26pm On Sep 27, 2006
Chxta:

Let's assume for the sake of simplicity that Naija were four countries (giving the South-South their own). Babangida and Atiku (both corrupt) would stake a claim for what is now Northern Nigeria. Fayose, Akande and some others would stake a claim for Western Naija. Kalu, Nnamani and Nzeribe () would stake a claim for the East. In the South, we'd have people like Odili, Ibori and Igbinedion running the shows.

AM I WRONG?

WRONG! The reason we have so much fight for the presidency is because virtually all the countries resources are concentrated in the hands of one man! With devolution of power, there is less demand for office as there would be nothing left to steal - it is this same situation that exists in developed countries so those who come to power come for altruistic motives!
2. Those you mention are in power thanks to the PDP that is basically a northern machinery! It is no business of ours who rules the north! They can elect goats and cows for all we care!
Left to the south alone, the likes of Igbinedion and Obasanjo would have no place in power!
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by Nutter(m): 3:27pm On Sep 27, 2006
Kalu, Nnamani and Nzeribe would stake a claim for the East.

AM I WRONG?

Yes! You know this is not true. The Igbo Summit tells us that much. Stop travelling this road, Chxta! It invariably leads to a dead-end every time.

No I can't. I expect people to be smarter than just responding to the title of an article without reading its contents. Which is what he did. I daresay that he hasn't read that article till date based on his responses.

The title set the tone for the whole piece. As I mentioned at the time, the title should have been modified to reflect the South-South leaders you were targeting.

Because the break away nations had their chance in 1967, and instead of taking that chance fought a war to bring the one part that was bold enough to try to take the opportunity back into the fold. Since we have spilled blood to solidify the union, the union must remain. It can work if given the chance, AND IT WILL WORK.

It may work and for the sake of nigerians, I hope it does. BUT, the Igbo will not be a part of that arrangement. We are tired of giving so much and getting so little.

*What do you have to say about the recent attacks up North?
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by abdulwale(m): 5:32pm On Sep 27, 2006
i will use the money in our external reserves to ensure better electricity supply and the police salary to ensure better water supply. i would ask them to use the money collecting from people to serve as their salary.
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by dblock(m): 8:42am On Oct 07, 2006
Nigeria would function better if Igboland was classified as a state, and Hausaland a state and yoruba land a state then the yoruba people elect their own president and the igbos do the same and so do the hausas then the president of America selects the best leader in Nigeria excluding the three presidents and elects that person to be the Grand president, the presidents look after their repective lands and discuus strategies in parliament on how to improve Nigeria, Nigeria will still be a unified county and wil still have one soccer team and so on and there will be little or no conflict  cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by Sijien(m): 10:52am On Oct 07, 2006
bushman
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by dblock(m): 1:54pm On Oct 07, 2006
Hey watch what your say to me and don't get carried away or you'll get shot and get carried away---------------peace-------------- tongue
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by jesuseun1(m): 5:58pm On Oct 08, 2006
If i happen to be the president of our great country Nigeria,i will do the ff :a] first of all,focus on the orientation and value sysytem of Nigeriaans making them to see 1001 reasons why Nigeria can work and rise again.

b] focus on the younger generation,i am also a young man ,the strength of Nigeria lies on the youths.i will make them see the reasons why they have a part to play.I wil encourage many of them to go into large scale Agriculture most especially those that read agric cousers who are now working in Banks

and most importantly,i will also focus on providing the basic neccessity of man, FOOD,SHELTER IF MOST Nigerians can have a 3 square meal on their table and a roof on their head,half of our problems are solved.
we will get there

i will look into the welfare of the police too,increase their pay and encourage graduate to join police and refurbish police stations to make them look friendly.
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by jesuseun1(m): 6:07pm On Oct 08, 2006
i will also encourage multinatinal companies like Nokia, intel,julius berger,cisco,motorola, to come and establish their factory and training centres here in Nigeria.

i will also focus on the Nigerdelta youths,by directly paying them stipends at the end of the month[18-30yrs] around 15k.

i will look into the welfare of the police too,increase their pay and encourage graduate to join police and refurbish police stations to make them look friendly.

i will ensure that darkness is eradicated from our country,by illuminating our roads and streets.if that is achieve it will automatically illuminate the mind of Nigerians to think well of positive ideas to take our country forward.
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by nilla(f): 9:53pm On Oct 08, 2006
jesu-seun
i like your points smiley
Re: What Would You Do To Improve Nigeria If You Were The President by Nobody: 10:27pm On Oct 08, 2006
jesu seun:

i will also encourage multinatinal companies like Nokia, intel,julius berger,cisco,motorola, to come and establish their factory and training centres here in Nigeria.

i will also focus on the Nigerdelta youths,by directly paying them stipends at the end of the month[18-30yrs] around 15k.

i will ensure that darkness is eradicated from our country,by illuminating our roads and streets.if that is achieve it will automatically illuminate the mind of Nigerians to think well of positive ideas to take our country forward.

I think i've heard this before, now when and where was that? Aha i have it, this were the same promises Abachanjo offered us in 1999!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model / Amosun Is APC Governorship Candidate For Ogun State / Indigenous People Of Biafra-ipob Carrying Out A Peaceful Protest Today In Aba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.