Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,183 members, 7,818,585 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:17 PM

The Prison Called Marriage - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / The Prison Called Marriage (5593 Views)

Bride-to-be Locked Up In Prison For Pre-wedding Photo / 17 Prisoners Got Married Right Inside The Prison, See Photos / The Prison Called Engagement Ring. Ladies Be Wise. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Prison Called Marriage by Rexology: 1:33am On May 14, 2015
Is marriage another way of imprison ladies? Just because a man put on a piece of metal called ring(handcuff) on a Lady's finger, the lady's happiness, freedom, interest, movement, infact everything about her life is now determined by this man(Husband).

Honestly, I sympathize with the female folks, especially in Africa. Most of our ladies are in prison(Marriage). A lady will live all her life trying to please a man(Husband),consciousely
and unconsciousely, is it not slavery?
Women are still seen as slaves by men in Africa.
What is the origin of ' bride price'? and this word 'pay' is used whenever 'bride price' is mentioned.
Who are the sellers?( fathers) and who are the buyers(Husbands) and what are the items being sold? (Young ladies). Have we completely eradicated slave trade in Africa? I don't think so.
Why do we have to 'Pay' a 'bride price'?
Women are wonderful creatures of Jehovah, therefore, should not be seen as 'Slaves' or 'stock in trade'
They are not as weak as the soceity project them (Africa).Jehovah created woman(wife) to be a friend and companion to man(husband),and not to be his slave or subject to rule over.
They have their own dreams and vision in life, and should be allowed by their husbands to pursue it without any form of restriction.

Dedicated to African Ladies...

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Prison Called Marriage by delishpot: 1:49am On May 14, 2015
Make I wait here for reactions from NL boys
Re: The Prison Called Marriage by REMMEI(m): 2:04am On May 14, 2015
Any true Africa lady wey support this thang go be those ones wey don bleach her brain commot..

Waiting for some goons sha.. cool

3 Likes

Re: The Prison Called Marriage by ronald4lif(m): 2:06am On May 14, 2015
I'm disappointed that this is all you could come up with as empirical grounds and corroboration to your assertion of marriage being a slavery. I don't know your gender but if you're a woman the should be more substantial revelation that sketches marriage as slavery from your ilks.

The bride price question should be the least of concerns in the legal enslavement christened marriage. Some men have same and even worse sentiments. If I should reveal them this space won't be enough. Though depending on who one marries but marriage is a form of legal slavery and it's applicable to both (a lot of) men and women.

4 Likes

Re: The Prison Called Marriage by delishpot: 2:09am On May 14, 2015
ronald4lif:
I'm disappointed that this is all you could come up with as empirical grounds and corroboration to your assertion of marriage being a slavery. I don't know your gender but if you're a woman there should be more substantial revelation to sketches marriage as slavery from your ilks.

The bride price question should be the least of concerns in the legal enslavement christened marriage. Some men have same and even worse sentiments. If I should reveal them this space won't be enough. Though depending on who one marries but marriage is a form of legal slavery and it's applicable to both (a lot of) men and women.

Some nice point
Re: The Prison Called Marriage by CHM11: 2:29am On May 14, 2015
All my single ladies, I hope you girls will agree to marry a man without bride price?

Lol, even the ladies wouldn't agree with you at OP.
In other news, I feel more guys are getting enslaved all because they married a lady. This is why the rate of divorce is on the increase and we have more over 30+ guys not even thinking of marriage.

Girls these days want to fight for equal right yet they expect their husband to pay her bride price...I say damn that 'equal right' crapp......

We don't have to copy the western world because marriage in the western world is rubbish..total rubbish...

Hold on to our African values, be a real African woman who does what real African women do to their husbands and watch how your husband will treat you like the Queen of Kuvukiland.

3 Likes

Re: The Prison Called Marriage by kradleber: 2:54am On May 14, 2015
o.p had a good point and written, but ruined it totally with the inclusion of the 'bride price' angle.
That's just gaffe and blooper.

I'm not an expert in marital affairs, so I can't contribute hugely but one thing i know for sure is that 'Bride Price' is not in anyway slave trade or human trafficking.
Hehe . o.p is amusingly comical to even state that.

Its just a harmless tradition and wholesome practice that has been part and parcel of our sheen culture from time immemorial. Its solely for the creation of a strong bond, tie and relation between the bride and the bride groom's family.

2 Likes

Re: The Prison Called Marriage by MsBliss(f): 7:12am On May 14, 2015
This topic is under hyped. people needs it more than all these virginity topics that parades all ova nairaland.
Re: The Prison Called Marriage by jorlons(m): 9:15am On May 14, 2015
D op is just another feminist. I mean what about the guy who's probably going to be toiling all his life to take care of d woman and their children? It's quite funny dat u neglected d fact dat d guy would have to handle d shiit load of problems life throws at his family while d woman hides behind.

Lastly, only a select few African women gives a dam.n about careers and stuffs; the others just prefer to sit at home and watch telemundo if u doubt me take ur stats here on NL.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Prison Called Marriage by Rexology: 10:13am On May 14, 2015
jorlons:
D op is just another feminist. I mean what about the guy who's probably going to be toiling all his life to take care of d woman and their children? It's quite funny dat u neglected d fact dat d guy would have to handle d shiit load of problems life throws at his family while d woman hides behind.

Lastly, only a select few African women gives a dam.n about careers and stuffs; the others just prefer to sit at home and watch telemundo if u doubt me take ur stats here on N

Am not a feminist,am a Man(African Man)
Re: The Prison Called Marriage by BobUg28(m): 10:16am On May 14, 2015
I don't have much to say about this but one thing our ladies should bear in mind is that 'this is Africa', and we must leave within the pace which our forefathers has established;trying to expunge the ethics of paying a bride price 'll definitely lure us into leaving like the western English world.

It's once said that "when you try following another person's footstep;you will never leave your own footprint." John Mason.

Africans let's learn to live by our culture.

Ciao...

1 Like

Re: The Prison Called Marriage by Rexology: 10:44am On May 14, 2015
BobUg28:
I don't have much to say about this but one thing our ladies should bear in mind is that 'this is Africa', [b][/b]and we must leave within the pace which our forefathers has established;trying to expunge the ethics of paying a bride price 'll definitely lure us into leaving like the western English world.

It's once said that "when you try following another person's footstep;you will never leave your own footprint." John Mason.

Ciao...
Most of the problems encountered in most families in Africa today, were created by "Our forefathers"
Why do you want to live your life just the way your forefathers lived?(Your choice).
Do not forget, our forefathers did some terrible things(laws and traditions).
Should this generation follow the footsteps of our fore fathers? How did your forefathers treat your foremothers?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Prison Called Marriage by Joycomethnow: 7:09pm On May 14, 2015
BobUg28:
I don't have much to say about this but one thing our ladies should bear in mind is that 'this is Africa', and we must leave within the pace which our forefathers has established;trying to expunge the ethics of paying a bride price 'll definitely lure us into leaving like the western English world.

Ciao...
your forefather who could sacrifice their Daughters just to have a male child?
Your forefather who could not allow your foremother to speak in the public?
Your forefather who only saw your foremother as a kingdom to rule over?
Your forether who made terrible sacrifices and pledged allegiance to his gods unbehalf him and his entire generation?(you inclusive)?
Your forefathers who introduced and practiced deadly traditions?
The list is endless...
Change is always neccessary...even the Change itself changes....and never constant.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Prison Called Marriage by Rexology: 8:07am On May 15, 2015
Joycomethnow:
your forefather who could sacrifice their Daughters just to have a male child?
Your forefather who could not allow your foremother to speak in the public?
Your forefather who only saw your foremother as a kingdom to rule over?
Your forether who made terrible sacrifices and pledged allegiance to his gods unbehalf him and his entire generation?(you inclusive)?
Your forefathers who introduced and practiced deadly traditions?
The list is endless...
Change is always neccessary...even the Change itself changes....and never constant.
Wow!!
Re: The Prison Called Marriage by DEIFIED(m): 8:15am On May 15, 2015
Op no matter how you see it, this is the real deal here...

Re: The Prison Called Marriage by Jayjay0(m): 8:35am On May 15, 2015
am i the only one who thinks the op isn't making any point..

just because the female's in your family are not happy with their marriages doesn't mean it applies to everyone out there..

your just brainwashing our girls

2 Likes

Re: The Prison Called Marriage by Nobody: 8:37am On May 15, 2015
Then don't marry Na, na by force to marry. Nonsense
Re: The Prison Called Marriage by Rexology: 10:55am On May 15, 2015
Jayjay0:
am i the only one who thinks the op isn't making any point..

just because the female's in your family are not happy with their marriages doesn't mean it applies to everyone out there..

your just brainwashing our girls
She could be happy because her husband is happy,and because the wife had surrendered her entire life to a man(Husband) for just a piece of metal(ring) in the name of marriage(Prison).
What about her dreams, vision, aspirations before commital to prison(marriage)?
Do you think your sister(s)is 100% happy in her prison(marriage)?
Every humanbeing enjoys freedom
Re: The Prison Called Marriage by Rexology: 11:03am On May 15, 2015
teeoo:
Then don't marry Na, na by force to marry. Nonsense
I am not against marriage, but against the imprisonment of wives by their husbands. Wives should also enjoy the freedom their husband enjoy.
Even Eve enjoyed the same freedom Adam enjoyed in the garden, they were friends and never the case of a King (husband) and his subject(wife) in a kingdom(marriage).
Re: The Prison Called Marriage by ronald4lif(m): 11:07am On May 15, 2015
Rexology:

She could be happy because her husband is happy,and because the wife had surrendered her entire life to a man(Husband) for just a piece of metal(ring) in the name of marriage(Prison).
What about her dreams, vision, aspirations before commital to prison(marriage)?
Do you think your sister(s)is 100% happy in her prison(marriage)?
Every humanbeing enjoys

Don't waste your time lecturing some people. Some of them lack the intellectual capacity to counter your line of argument. We don't have to live our lives because our forefathers lived same way. Neither do we have to live our lives based on what was written on a book thousands of years ago. Like I said earlier marriage is legal form of imprisonment and a lot of people are unhappy in their marriages. The for better for worse clause doesn't work anymore and there's a great deal of awareness that if you're not happy you quit it. Better for worse ko.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Prison Called Marriage by Nobody: 11:26am On May 15, 2015
Rexology:

I am not against marriage, but against the imprisonment of wives by their husbands. Wives should also enjoy the freedom their husband enjoy.
Even Eve enjoyed the same freedom Adam enjoyed in the garden, they were friends and never the case of a King (husband) and his subject(wife) in a kingdom(marriage).

All you're saying is long story. Simply put, don't marry
Re: The Prison Called Marriage by Veiled010(f): 11:45am On May 15, 2015
Marriage is a form of imprisionment for both the husband and the wife alike...there are men that have put their dreams on hold for the sake of their wife and kids,and when you find a good man,he'll support your dreams to the later. We need to get to that place as ladies where we'll stop this idea of believing that all men are in a certain way cos life has a way for producing for us what we truly believe in our core.
Re: The Prison Called Marriage by Bibol(f): 11:46am On May 15, 2015
Sorry o OP, but are the so-called "imprisoned" ladies complaining?
Re: The Prison Called Marriage by jamesbridget13(f): 12:35pm On May 15, 2015
if truely one is hapi in his or her marriage, i dont think d idea of being imprisoned comes to play
Re: The Prison Called Marriage by Vashni(f): 1:11pm On May 15, 2015
80% of the posters above me are trying hard to understand the Op.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Prison Called Marriage by subbieD(f): 1:56pm On May 15, 2015
Well,I concur only to some extent..... but u saying marriage is a prison is a No for me.before u can call marriage a prison,so many things must Aff bn considered. it can only b a prison If d woman is married out of her own will...den She's a prisoner because everyfin will b taken away from her; her joy,happiness, smiles, confident,everything Dat made her a woman she used to be....and Dat kind of husband can b called prison guard,one who punishes nd discipline d prisoner.
But, when u marry right nd I mean marry right, u will still act single almost all d time,because u won't be restricted to somethings you are used to....because he knows Uve ur life to live. Fine some of d things u do as a single lady will b crossed ,definitely. A Gud husband will always help his wife anytime as long as he is available because he knows he Dint marry a slave ,but an helper.
I knw of a couple Dat are Jst like lovely friends,d man acts like her brother ,friend to his wife ; Dats Wat is called Love.Wen u marry right, u can still hangout with ur friends, still go to Dat cinemas u love going,still have time for yourself because u are there to help......
I strongly believe marriage is more of mini heaven than prison 'when u marry right'.......
Trust me wink

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Prison Called Marriage by Nobody: 2:24pm On May 15, 2015
I totally agree with you. the bigger the bride price, the more loyal the lady will be to the man. this shii cray
Re: The Prison Called Marriage by BRAV0O(m): 2:55pm On May 15, 2015
Aren't you people tired of writing different story about marriage slavery dis, marriage living hell and more like that? some people will not try new things in their life all they will be doing is complain until they get carried away by many bull s h"it like what the op wrote up there! @op have u ever try it ?
Re: The Prison Called Marriage by BRAV0O(m): 2:56pm On May 15, 2015
subbieD:
Well,I concur only to some extent..... but u saying marriage is a prison is a No for me.before u can call marriage a prison,so many things must Aff bn considered. it can only b a prison If d woman is married out of her own will...den She's a prisoner because everyfin will b taken away from her; her joy,happiness, smiles, confident,everything Dat made her a woman she used to be....and Dat kind of husband can b called prison guard,one who punishes nd discipline d prisoner.
But, when u marry right nd I mean marry right, u will still act single almost all d time,because u won't be restricted to somethings you are used to....because he knows Uve ur life to live. Fine some of d things u do as a single lady will b crossed ,definitely. A Gud husband will always help his wife anytime as long as he is available because he knows he Dint marry a slave ,but an helper.
I knw of a couple Dat are Jst like lovely friends,d man acts like her brother ,friend to his wife ; Dats Wat is called Love.Wen u marry right, u can still hangout with ur friends, still go to Dat cinemas u love going,still have time for yourself because u are there to help......
I strongly believe marriage is more of mini heaven than prison 'when u marry right'.......
Trust me wink
Re: The Prison Called Marriage by sinizia: 3:09pm On May 15, 2015
Rexology:
Is marriage another way of imprison ladies? Just because a man put on a piece of metal called ring(handcuff) on a Lady's finger, the lady's happiness, freedom, interest, movement, infact everything about her life is now determined by this man(Husband).

How does marriage imprison ONLY the ladies since both the men and women are in it? Who told you the husband determines the wife's happiness, in fact everything? Which sort of marriage are you talking about because it seems you are talking from your personal experience. There's something called divorce, if any party is tired of a marriage, he or she divorces. This is 20th century not medieval ages. And no human should determine your happiness. Your life doesn't revolve around any human, marriage or not. People in marriages make compromises and sacrifices, it doesn't mean their everything is determined by men. There are things but the men and the women stop doing once they get married. It's because they now show their time and life together. It's a sacrifice. Mercy Johnson had to briefly stop acting in order to face her marriage. It's sacrifice not imprisonment.

Mercy Johnson once said she'll stop dressing seductively because she's now a mother. It's a sacrifice. There are things being married denies you as well accords you. When you are married, you let go of somethings which is natural. It's not imprisonment. Any woman that feels imprisoned in her marriage should divorce his husband and be free.
Re: The Prison Called Marriage by Rexology: 6:42pm On May 15, 2015
Vashni:
80% of the posters above me are trying hard to understand the Op.
Exactly!
Re: The Prison Called Marriage by Rexology: 6:45pm On May 15, 2015
jamesbridget13:
if truely one is hapi in his or her marriage, i dont think d idea of being imprisoned comes to play
You just got married recently, I guess?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is There Any Difference Between Using Condom And Not? / Guys Get In Here / Why Do Men Allow Their Friends To Have Sex In Their Rooms?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.