Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,595 members, 7,816,475 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:43 AM

Please Help Me Choose Between Zenith And UBA - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Please Help Me Choose Between Zenith And UBA (26836 Views)

Massive Sack At Zenith Bank Plc Over The Weekend. / What FCMB Contract Staff Said On Reading UBA Contract Staff Complaints (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Help Me Choose Between Zenith And UBA by equlibrium(m): 12:35am On May 15, 2015
allanphash7:
Go for UBA

I work with zenithbank

PM me if u wanna knw why
no mind all this yeye ppl wey dey tel am zenith.
na we wey wear shoe know as e dey pinch

3 Likes

Re: Please Help Me Choose Between Zenith And UBA by thefakestan: 12:39am On May 15, 2015
equlibrium:

he is talking as a staff not customer
I know but when u have frustrated customers, I don't think u'll enjoy working there.

Except u r one of the "back 4 group" peeps.

1 Like

Re: Please Help Me Choose Between Zenith And UBA by SunkyAde: 1:47am On May 15, 2015
Take the two year contract. Work hard and save a lot for the next 5 years to start a business by the side. They are all slave drivers and may never make the contract permanent. Used to be there. Your future is in ur hands. For an idea of a part time business WhatsApp me on 08098987272.
Re: Please Help Me Choose Between Zenith And UBA by digitsolution: 2:04am On May 15, 2015
My brother go for UBA, zenith is all about packaging their pay isn't fabulous, and trust me as a contract staff no promotion or confirmation. Secondly if your HR for zenith is peopleplus my brother run for your life man

3 Likes

Re: Please Help Me Choose Between Zenith And UBA by Tinyemeka(m): 2:17am On May 15, 2015
IdiAmin1:
As a former banker, I will advise you to go for UBA.

Believe me, even if they don't convert you to permanent status, they will sure renew your contract.

As for Zenith, that one na hire and fire be their nickname. undecided

I beg to differ.

There are banks with job security almost similar to Federal civil service and they are ZB and FBN.

It takes a lot (integrity issues and maybe gross incompetence) to get sacked at ZB. I've heard of several layoffs at UBA but none at ZB within the same period.

The time ZB did mass sacking was when they dropped IT staff at branches.

@OP, one cannot compare the security of working at ZB with UBA. ZB is far better. However, I don't know why they introduced this contract thing. It's just so unlike ZB. If they told you conversion after 2 yrs and you feel you are ok with that sal, then take it. ZB staff tend to have a better bargaining power when they wish to move to another bank.
Re: Please Help Me Choose Between Zenith And UBA by Chivasex: 2:28am On May 15, 2015
Please go for Zenith as UBA doesn't have a structure and they are pretty spontanous

1 Like

Re: Please Help Me Choose Between Zenith And UBA by luminousity(m): 2:41am On May 15, 2015
My friend, both job are definitely contact jobs and they will surely renew your contract after 1 or 2yrs respectively (except you lack competences in carrying out your duties).
The chance of converting you to a full staff is like 10/100, So just pick the one that has a better salary structure.

2 Likes

Re: Please Help Me Choose Between Zenith And UBA by caniva(m): 4:15am On May 15, 2015
I have no bank experience but pretty sure my advice might help you. As you can see folks here are coming up with a whole lots of options

To get something; all you need do is;
-Take a paper
-Do a checklist of the options i.e Zenith, UBA and Indeference.

-Now go through all the response and start ticking them accordingly. After you are satisfied enough, say about 5-pages.

Then pick the highest number. Very simple Tally.

God will be your guidance. Ameen

1 Like

Re: Please Help Me Choose Between Zenith And UBA by abbeyoye2001(m): 4:21am On May 15, 2015
My advice! Pls go for UBA. I am in deep shit today working for zenith and wasting my 7 yrs. All my frds in Uba re now working in big organizatiion today with d litttle experience they acquired. U just work only in one place as contract staff

4 Likes

Re: Please Help Me Choose Between Zenith And UBA by ETHIX(m): 4:41am On May 15, 2015
If you choose zenith u may regret it for the rest of your life cos after the 2 years contract another contract will be given to you and you will not be converted. May people are there going on 3 years contract without conversion. Forget any name. That will not add anything to you in the long run. If you tell people this in zenith when you start work their response will definitely make u think again if not cry.

Most people in UBA left zenith at a point in time. Uba will be better in terms of career advancement which zenith will never give you.

After a year contract in UBA u will be converted to a full staff but Zenith will not

2 Likes

Re: Please Help Me Choose Between Zenith And UBA by emmylee097: 5:36am On May 15, 2015
I will suggest you go for UBA not only will you have the possibility of being staffed you also got a chance of not being sent to marketing (which everyone is scared of). Zenith yes do have a brand but the peopleplus program will tie you down for @least 5years as a contract staff which is not applicable for UBA.

STILL YOU CHOICE SHA.

But I must suggest you go for UBA period
Re: Please Help Me Choose Between Zenith And UBA by vichyke: 6:30am On May 15, 2015
Bros, am currently a banka with 1 of dem and will strongly advise u go for uba. Zb no send deir staff ooo. Dey only care about their managers and above cadres. True talk.

4 Likes

Re: Please Help Me Choose Between Zenith And UBA by Nelrulez(m): 6:51am On May 15, 2015
cigie:
I could use your advice…

I have recently finished medicals with Zenith bank and UBA, and I am pretty sure to land both jobs. Both are contract jobs; however Zenith is offering a two year contract while UBA is one year. The salary difference is not much, so that is not a deciding factor for me, at least not at this entry stage…but I would love to know the pay at confirmation. I’m more concerned about career advancement and job security now.

I would appreciate your inputs as to which offer is best. Kindly state the reason(s) behind your suggestions. I would really love to hear from bankers.

Thanks.
A friend of mine bagged a contract job with zenith early this year and I think the monthly pay ain't upto 60k on paper(58k) but when he resumed, he was fortunate to work in their trade services dept and that gave him an edge of 10k over his colleagues.
Re: Please Help Me Choose Between Zenith And UBA by fyneconcepts: 7:05am On May 15, 2015
Just to keep urself bizy take any of them that's more convenient for you. I would say Zenith cos of the brand name. there is currently nothing like career development in either of them. Trust me I know. While ur their keep looking for another Job, your level of confidence shows u can get another. Better to take 40 or 50k from a small accounting firm than 80k from these two banks. With the accounting firm in 2-3 years u will be far better of than if u stayed in the bank, plus u will have a better defined career path.
The ultimate decision is still urs to make.
Cheers!

1 Like

Re: Please Help Me Choose Between Zenith And UBA by Olutola88(m): 7:12am On May 15, 2015
equlibrium:

which part is that?
The part you said Zenith will never convert a contract staff to a permanent one
Re: Please Help Me Choose Between Zenith And UBA by 2Cents: 7:29am On May 15, 2015

2 Likes

Re: Please Help Me Choose Between Zenith And UBA by HouseT: 7:35am On May 15, 2015
Guy....this is how young graduates do it at zenith...get that name in your cv (zenith )and move on after 2-3 years better company will be looking for your professionalism...learn to work for experience and brand..remember where you start your career matters...better still save enough from there and move for your master abroad after working with zenith fir 2years ..by the time you are coming back to work with any blue coy ...you don hammmmaaa...gud luck.
Re: Please Help Me Choose Between Zenith And UBA by spacohill3(m): 7:49am On May 15, 2015
Bullshit! Take UBA

1 Like

Re: Please Help Me Choose Between Zenith And UBA by iGeneral: 8:01am On May 15, 2015
I will be brutally candid with you. If your idea of working is build a career in banking, I will say you haven't found a job yet even as you claim to have two. I don't know of UBA but Zenith will most likely recruit you as a "Transaction Officer" with 80k monthly salary with no other allowances. As a transaction officer, you are stuck on that level until your contract will expire. If the bank still needs your services, they will renew the contract on same terms and you start the cycle again. This job is basically a sustenance or subsistent job. It absolutely holds out no career progression prospect.. If you do take it, start immediately looking for how to move to the next bank that will offer you a professional and not a contract offer. NOTE: Zenith doesn't have a practice of converting contract staff to professional staff even if you are as qualified as Ngozi Okonjo Iweala. All the best.

2 Likes

Re: Please Help Me Choose Between Zenith And UBA by dpresido(m): 8:02am On May 15, 2015
Please sincerely answer these questions and send me a PM thereafter so we could talk.

*Where did u write ur entry level test?
*Where did u do ur medicals(after seeing their ED I guess).
*What job role is Zenith offering u? Customer services or Marketing?
Re: Please Help Me Choose Between Zenith And UBA by Nobody: 8:08am On May 15, 2015
2Cents:
move with immediate alacrity to UBA! Zenith? ha bros nor try am abeg.... Forget branding zenith na wash! I was a contract staff there (teller) and I tell u, u won't find the experience funny.

Even the immediate work atmosphere is choking, not of work stress but of inferiority complex u get from the "superior" complex of full time staff!

And ur chance of being converted is slim cuz even with ur B.Sc , Zenith has Masters degree holders in the contract program. think twice.

Mind you the man that introduced Contract staffing into Zenith with B.Sc is now the CBN Governor! Contract workers in the Nigerian Banking industry has no hope in the regulatory body!

Zenith sucks.

You just hit the nail bro, it wasn't easy under peopleplus o. Thank God I ran!

1 Like

Re: Please Help Me Choose Between Zenith And UBA by kulex2k1(m): 8:13am On May 15, 2015
UBA after 1 year chances of retaining u is very likely.. Zenith i doubt dey will retain u after dat 2yrs... trust me!

2 Likes

Re: Please Help Me Choose Between Zenith And UBA by iGeneral: 8:14am On May 15, 2015
Tinyemeka:

I beg to differ.

There are banks with job security almost similar to Federal civil service and they are ZB and FBN.

It takes a lot (integrity issues and maybe gross incompetence) to get sacked at ZB. I've heard of several layoffs at UBA but none at ZB within the same period.

The time ZB did mass sacking was when they dropped IT staff at branches.

@OP, one cannot compare the security of working at ZB with UBA. ZB is far better. However, I don't know why they introduced this contract thing. It's just so unlike ZB. If they told you conversion after 2 yrs and you feel you are ok with that sal, then take it. ZB staff tend to have a better bargaining power when they wish to move to another bank.
This is a classic example of how people become experts in what they have absolutely no knowledge about. Up till 2008, Zenith offered job security. But from then on, they fire at will. You are wrong to say the only mass sacking in Zenith was of IT. Zenith did mass sacking in December 2009, April 2012 and many more since then. As I type, the bank is already compiling the list for the next round. This gentleman here needs honest advice to take a life changing decision. So don't tell him what you don't know anything about.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help Me Choose Between Zenith And UBA by zwalda(m): 8:20am On May 15, 2015
cigie:
I could use your advice…

I have recently finished medicals with Zenith bank and UBA, and I am pretty sure to land both jobs. Both are contract jobs; however Zenith is offering a two year contract while UBA is one year. The salary difference is not much, so that is not a deciding factor for me, at least not at this entry stage…but I would love to know the pay at confirmation. I’m more concerned about career advancement and job security now.

I would appreciate your inputs as to which offer is best. Kindly state the reason(s) behind your suggestions. I would really love to hear from bankers.

Thanks.

Career wise,i would recommend Zenith Bank.
Re: Please Help Me Choose Between Zenith And UBA by eluquenson(m): 8:35am On May 15, 2015
My candid advice for you is read the terms of the contract very well before you conclude on which ever suits you.
I work in a bank & this contract of a thing doesn't last longer.
The type of contract uba offer now is not to absorb after completing your one year but to renew.
Ask people working with zenith how their contract job looks like.

1 Like

Re: Please Help Me Choose Between Zenith And UBA by highlygbaski: 8:37am On May 15, 2015
Zenith receives application through peopleplus every day! U wanna know y, cos fortunate and smart ones resign on a daily basis. I can confidently tell you as a former zenith contract staff dat zenith is not d best place to stay. Ur pay is 75k and nothing else! I mean nothing else! U will be offered renewal letter after 2 yrs and if you think it will look good on ur cv...don't dull..it's a lie. I was told in diamond bank dat my experience in zenith isn't a banking expexperience. Thank God I was able to escape d slavery even b4 renewal. Contract job in the banking sector is rubbish pls.
I'm sorry I don't know much about Uba...But I'm sure dey are beta if you are converte. ZENITH ET pay is among d lowest in d industry and u can spend up to 4 /5 yrs in dat level.

Pray for God's guidance sha...Tho I pray u get anoda job opportunity entirely different from those 2

2 Likes

Re: Please Help Me Choose Between Zenith And UBA by bluice2(m): 9:01am On May 15, 2015
UBA

Am a banker, but not with any of the mentioned banks.

BR

2 Likes

Re: Please Help Me Choose Between Zenith And UBA by cigie(m): 9:11am On May 15, 2015
Mixty:
ishilove, lalasticlala, seun, jarus, mynd44, xfire, crazyman, tanimola22, marvellousGod, b0rn2fuck,

help a brother out

Thank you very much...

i appreciate the mods for putting this on front page
Re: Please Help Me Choose Between Zenith And UBA by cigie(m): 9:16am On May 15, 2015
Taylor86:
u just finished medicals and too sure of getting both jobs!!!

hmmm u sound so confident like ur dad is a native doctor(no vex ooo)

anyway i see nothing complicating there if u know ur comfortable now and hv ur basic needs then u can proceed with ur career

but if the reverse is the case youngman get d job and get a life first

FYI am not a banker but all d money my father dey find for briefcase na me dey keep them well foram

I get your point...but i have also received guarantor forms from both banks. so you would agree with me that there's a good chance to eventually get both jobs. hence i think weighing my options is in order.

thanks
Re: Please Help Me Choose Between Zenith And UBA by cigie(m): 9:33am On May 15, 2015
eyoiba:

I dint know much about Zenith but 90% sure tha UBA, will absorb you after the 1 year contrct. Find out if the same is obtainable at Zenith.

The HR during the interviews at UBA stressed on the high possibility of absorption after contract. as for Zenith, i have heard of some contract staffs that have exceeded their 2years contract. they got their contract renewed. so i think there is a better chance of UBA confirming one's appointment than zenith. I stand to be corrected though...

to everyone that has contributed, i deeply appreciate

*still reading comments*
Re: Please Help Me Choose Between Zenith And UBA by cigie(m): 9:40am On May 15, 2015
equlibrium:
Do not I repeat do not go for zenith.
its a life contract job, you will quickly see that there is staff and there is others, thats you. I dont know the uba situation I admit, but I know the zenith one, and its not nice. Its better than nothing, but you have uba which isnt nothing. If your fear is the contract lenght, the both always renew it, in uba they might/should convert you to full regular staff at the end of it, in zenith they never will, you will always be different, you will always be contract. But then again experience is the best teacher.

Thanks sir
Re: Please Help Me Choose Between Zenith And UBA by encubed(m): 9:41am On May 15, 2015
eyoiba:

I dint know much about Zenith but 90% sure tha UBA, will absorb you after the 1 year contrct. Find out if the same is obtainable at Zenith.

I know someone who has been on contract with Zenith 3years no confirmation but UBA 1 year is 1 year. Take UBA.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Customer Service Agents Might Go Hungry In The Nearest Future / MTN Nigeria Statement On Their Alleged Plan To Sack Staff / Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.