Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,968 members, 7,814,262 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:08 AM

Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? (32827 Views)

Crazy Things Women Do To Save Their Marriages / Difference Between Olden Days Marriage And Modern Days Marriage / Arranged Marriages Were Better Than Modern Marriages. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by Edusouls(m): 8:55am On May 15, 2015
adexsimply:
LOL..Keep deceiving yourself. Most of those marriages lack love. The wives are mostly in bondage, they just avoid divorces because of societal ridicules and shame...
monkey..
Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by Nobody: 8:56am On May 15, 2015
Toks2008:

First let me correct the fact that i am not in my forties but will be 40 this year and very much single and no longer married. Yes i agree that the word p*nny is very inappropriate but yes one can use it when expressing sarcasm and that was why i used it.

Thanks for the observation.
what about the question i asked? Why don't you answer it? I really want to know.
Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by Adaeze003(f): 8:57am On May 15, 2015
kingston247:

Girls like these end up single...

K.
Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by HizMissy(f): 8:57am On May 15, 2015
craziebone:

i wonder why a man in his 40s and married ashould still be using the word "punny" to refer to the femal Instruments. Don't you know the more formal word to use to it? It is Vaginaa.

Aslo, do you still remember the discussion we had the other time?

And pls, i really want you to answer this question; i want to know what you think. Is it also a big plus for a woman when she makes a man a man? Does he also give him that "maximum" respect?
Thank you for asking that..
Cos last time I checked what's good for the goose is good for the gander.
Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by Toks2008(m): 8:58am On May 15, 2015
craziebone:
what about the question i asked? Why don't you answer it? I really want to know.

Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by Toks2008(m): 8:59am On May 15, 2015
craziebone:

i wonder why a man in his 40s and married ashould still be using the word "punny" to refer to the femal Instruments. Don't you know the more formal word to use to it? It is Vaginaa.

Aslo, do you still remember the discussion we had the other time?

And pls, i really want you to answer this question; i want to know what you think. Is it also a big plus for a woman when she makes a man a man? Does he also give him that "maximum" respect?

I can only talk from the male's perspective, go ask a lady

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by Bants(m): 9:01am On May 15, 2015
I blame social media and the Kardashians
Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by yinkeys(m): 9:03am On May 15, 2015
eleojo23:
Because people are looking for easy comfort. If there is a little problem, they just quit, no effort to resolve the issue.

Marriage is work. Many marital problems can be avoided when couples take time to understand each other and try to resolve issues that may come between them. But people would rather prefer to live in the dream world and ride high on feelings. That is the modern day philosophy - it has to feel good all the time.
Anyone who has a good understanding of how life works knows that it won't always be easy and that hard times are the test of your seriousness with the relationship/marriage.
If someone only holds on in good times and gives up when things aren't smooth, one cannot but question his/her commitment to the relationship/marriage.

(I understand that this subject of marriage is one in which many people claim to have 'Phd's' and thus opinions may vary The above is mine )
But I really want to ask you 1 question. A problem that never gets solved for more than 20years because 1 party just simply refuses to listen. Isn't it better to walk away rather than risk your life. Especially when the person unknowingly once poisoned your food & you were in a state of coma for days
Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:04am On May 15, 2015
[size=38pt]BECAUSE THEY WERE ARRANGED MARRIAGES MOSTLY.

AND MARRIAGE WAS SEEN AS THE UNION OF TWO FAMILIES WITHIN A TRIBE. NOT JUST 2 PPL.[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by chigoizie7(m): 9:05am On May 15, 2015
Because the moral decadence as @ dat time is very low,unlike now wey technology don spoil everyone.

* I ve said it b4 and I will keep saying it, "baby mama" is the new trend now, it is better than getting married.
Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by MistadeRegal(m): 9:08am On May 15, 2015
Because husband and wife material have reduced.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by Nobody: 9:09am On May 15, 2015
The myth that marriages in the past worked only for men and that the women were absolutely unhappy is what every right thinking person should stand up to and debunk. It is one of the grand deception plan of feminists.

Fact is that divorce is as old as marriage itself. Those who said ladies never met their men before the weding day should also know that those men never met their women to before the weding day too. And that means he definitely did not choose her! So you can see that their grand plot to falsify history so as to push the relevance of their ideology has being foiled here.

It is true that battered wives stayed in the marriage. But it is also true that battered men stayed in the marriage also despite the humiliation that comes with it! Also men who had to take nagging and toguelashing from their wives also stayed behind. This is despite the fact that he owns the house and also feeds the family. And please don't give me that "he will go to marry another wife". Truth is most of the men in deeply patriarchal societies did not marry many women, fact!

The reason people stayed married then is because they knew what marriage is. They were willing to work it out, they had families who were willing to help solve the problem. They have the elderly with their rare and insightful wisdom and not the student pastors who now council marriage couples based on their own interpretation of the bible that is just unworkable!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by centjamie(m): 9:11am On May 15, 2015
Toks2008:

Honestly if you are in my shoes, you will be tired of this creatures called women after spending 12 years of your life wasting it with one. I will remarry when i find another one to risk my lifetime with.
Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by Edusouls(m): 9:11am On May 15, 2015
times have gone baad, very baad, this generation of women came from the devil himself,cos they are the 65% cause of these marital woes we see today, these women are too wordly that they drive men to do all soughts of things to satisfy their insatiable needs, Greed and wickedness is their motto, they bring untimely death to their men..from a young age these carnal ladies boast of dating their fathers and married men,just for the cash and fun,remorse and morals is dead in their very wicked hearts..playing with men's feelings and later dumping them is just normal for them, multiple dating and sex partners is no big deal again.my fellow men we are so unfortunate to exist with these calamity women, we are suffering in their hands and we continue to suffer, we wont enjoy them cos they have nothing good in the them to offer,sorry men..

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by tobtap: 9:13am On May 15, 2015
VenusBetty:
ode leleyi o, are you married ni? this is one clear reason, blame each other for your misfortune. nonsense
madam....y the insult...i only gave my opinion....is that how u argue? with insults?....hmmmm

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by Acidosis(m): 9:16am On May 15, 2015
HizMissy:
And who made you judge to decide what objections to overrule?
Bible smiley
Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by Toks2008(m): 9:16am On May 15, 2015
centjamie:

I understand how you feel.but do well to expunge the thought that all women are bad from your system.there are actually good women,if only you can search for her with a positive

Yes i agree, that is why im considering taking a new wife from Benin rep,Togo or Ghana or any country outside Nigeria where their ladies will love you for you and unconditionally not because of what you can offer. Countries where being wealthy as a man is only a plus and never a criterion for loving a man.

I am so scared of Nigerian ladies.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by zeongeon: 9:16am On May 15, 2015
Marriage worked then because the man and woman didn't just think d wife or husband is the person they can only enjoy with but someone they can endure and suffer with.

That is the major question missing in the marriage of this age; can I suffer and endure with this person? All most pple think especially the women is can I enjoy with him?...people of this age at times marry the company the man/woman works for and not he man/woman..

But those in the past knew that sickness could come, failures and even financial storms and they went through all that and came out strongly because they made up there mind to endure and suffer with the partner.

Women in those days knew there place and functioned to there best capacity no wonder children of d 80's and early 90's seem to be d last sane generation.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by slimmax: 9:18am On May 15, 2015
tpiadotcom:

what attitudes did the husbands of those days have that are also different from nowadays?
my guy help me ask them o. yet they will stick to the saying that men are the same
Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by HizMissy(f): 9:19am On May 15, 2015
Dranatomy:
Gender equality is the problem my brother..

So is it now gender inequality that will make a marriage work? So one party has to be oppressed for marriage to work? My guess is the marriage will work at the detriment of the femalefolk.
Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by HizMissy(f): 9:20am On May 15, 2015
Acidosis:

Bible smiley
What do you know about the bible
Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by centjamie(m): 9:22am On May 15, 2015
Toks2008:

Honestly if you are in my shoes, you will be tired of this creatures called women after spending 12 years of your life wasting it with one. I will remarry when i find another one to risk my lifetime with.

I understand your pain bro.

But do well to expunge the thought that all women are bad,there are actually good women out there.just search for her with a positive mindset and you will find your better half.it is true that the bad ones wouldn't let us see the good ones, but with perseverance and prayers,we shall succeed.

I wish you luck!!!!
Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by Nobody: 9:24am On May 15, 2015
tobtap:

madam....y the insult...i only gave my opinion....is that how u argue? with insults?....hmmmm
oya sorry, no vex ehn
Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by ghetto101(m): 9:26am On May 15, 2015
Becos dey no their roles and dey respect it.now ur wife will tell u tomorrow is ur turn to clean the house or cook.

tpiadotcom:
Strange!

Modern marriages have both the husband and wife either wishing for death or divorce as their only alternatives, why marry if you hate your fellow human?

Nor be by force nah.
Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by umarc19: 9:26am On May 15, 2015
Edusouls:
excellent work brother, u did ur research well..

Thanks for the encouragement sir, I really appreciate it.
Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by Acidosis(m): 9:26am On May 15, 2015
HizMissy:
What do you know about the bible
Lol
Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by tobtap: 9:28am On May 15, 2015
VenusBetty:
oya sorry, no vex ehn
i no vex ma wink...u too fine for me to vex cheesy
Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by jnrbayano(m): 9:34am On May 15, 2015
Take the advancement in civilisation of the western world but retain our African morals and core values...

Our young men and women have refused it and instead have copied everything about the westerners so much so that we also share the fate of their marriage institution.

The word "divorce" is demonic!!!
Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by wonlasewonimi: 9:35am On May 15, 2015
Cos they think we are equal.
Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by Lillee: 9:35am On May 15, 2015
simply put. Women are more aware Of their rights. They are more educated and so would not allow themselves to be suppressed by any man. Back then, men take full responsibility of their homes but now it is a joint task. You can't eat your cake and have it. The men need to adjust.
Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by precisionindepth: 9:43am On May 15, 2015
centjamie:

No doubts about that.

But the reason why so many marriages crash now unlike in the olden days is mostly because of misplaced priorities.people place material things much above other important qualities...... and women are always the chief culprits.
hummmm, I really disagree. men tend to feel wat some women want most is money but men believe women shd b deir slaves as if marriage is a master- slave relationship
Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by centjamie(m): 9:44am On May 15, 2015
Toks2008:

Yes i agree, that is why im considering taking a new wife from Benin rep,Togo or Ghana or any country outside Nigeria where their ladies will love you for you and unconditionally not because of what you can offer. Countries where being wealthy as a man is only a plus and never a criterion for loving a man.

I am so scared of Nigerian ladies.

I see.

But don't you think it's a wide spread epidemic? It rains every where bro.i advise you hold any good woman any where you find her, be it Ghana,Nigeria,Us......anywhere.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

What Men Should Know About Pregnancy / Wife Loses Pregnancy Of Two Months After Rape By Pastor-husband / My Sister Abroad Doesn't Reply My Messages Anymore.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.