Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,924 members, 7,835,087 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:39 AM

Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? (32984 Views)

Crazy Things Women Do To Save Their Marriages / Difference Between Olden Days Marriage And Modern Days Marriage / Arranged Marriages Were Better Than Modern Marriages. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by Pavore9: 6:59am On May 15, 2015
ideykwum:
Her mother was smart! She isn't! Marriage is about acceptance! What should her mother have done? Divorce?? In those days, it was pariah! Become abusive and fight back? She'd be setting a bad example for her kids! Her mother was/is a virtuous woman, and she should admire her instead!

Marriage entails sacrifice but not loosing your identity as a human being.

Being a virtuous woman does not also entail meekly being the recipient of prolonged domestic physical abuse while your children watched and one is stuck because of what the society would say. And this was a man who played gentleman with women outside. lf her elder brother when he was just only 17 could be bold enough to hit at their father in one of his beating sessions of their mother, we can ignore their father's misdeed and easily judge the boy for committing an abomination even adding bible quotations to it!

There are things couples should not do to one another as both are responsible for nurturing a healthy marriage and a happy home.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:00am On May 15, 2015
brownlord:
Kai so many reasons.

Parents was the one making choices for their kids.

It was an era when the most important thing was family background, unlike today, it is pocket background,

Even when family background is considered, it's about how wealthy the family is, honesty, good morals etc no longer count, just have money, the would-be inlaw's don't care about the illicit activities in the family.

I noticed then, A woman never get to know her partner until the day of marriage, which in most times she will refuse, they had little or no choice, even though there was no courtship like we having today, they still get to love themselves... the love was not there from the beginning.

Their priority was raising a good family.

They were not looking for 6 packs in men and men not all about light skin, yellow-label skin etc, it was about decency, honesty, modesty, integrity...etc

It was a time, the man was the head of the family.

It was a time, women were shy of losing their virginity before getting married....Unlike today girls boast of how many yahoo boys they have slept with.

What went wrong?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by Adaeze003(f): 7:01am On May 15, 2015
kandiikane:
Reply to those mentioning women:
Because women now know their worth and the men are intimidated?
Because women are not doing suffer heads anymore?
Because women now know they are equally as human as their male counterparts?
Because they do not want to be oppressed anymore?
Because they are now open about their sexuality and want to be pleased exactly how men want to be pleased?
Because women want to achieve more in life than just being a Mrs?
Because women know marriage is not a do or die affair?

@topic, I don't know go ask your forefathers.

People who believe marriage lasted don't know nada. Divorces were not documented then and you were not around during that time. Assumptions. Check your history and you will find that many of your foreparents separated from their spouses. (Probably not as much, probably killed before they could walk away)

Preach! Sis or bro Lol...
Anyone who feels it was better back then can build a time machine n go back!

For those who want to stay? Stop whining! That one persons marriage didn't work doesn't mean yours won't! You have to work on your marriage and not just yourself!

You can't expect that today's independent woman will let herself be cheated on without divorcing yo behind or worse, doing same to you. tongue

You all don't want liabilities no more, you want her to work, do all the chores, raise your children and then... what do you say again? "Be your ho" undecided oh... and you don't want a maid in your home undecided undecided one question, are you high?

you can't expect to oppress, be abusive or worse, unemotional or what do you say again? "I no longer find her attractive" and then you want her to stay there "for the kids"... is marriage for the kids? did she marry you for the kids? Or for you?

Work on your home and stop whining, times have changed and things changed with it. If you don't wanna work then pick a naive girl from the villa. It's really that simple.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by ideykwum: 7:02am On May 15, 2015
I can't quarrel with your argument! It has lots of merit!

Pavore9:

Marriage entails sacrifice but not loosing your identity as a human being.

Being a virtuous woman does not also entail meekly being the recipient of prolonged domestic physical abuse while your children watched and one is stuck because of what the society would say. And this was a man who played gentleman with women outside. lf her elder brother when he was just only 17 could be bold enough to hit at their father in one of his beating sessions of their mother, we can ignore their father's misdeed and easily judge the boy for committing an abomination even adding bible quotations to it!

There are things couples should not do to one another as both are responsible for nurturing a healthy marriage and a happy home.

Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by Zeze06(m): 7:04am On May 15, 2015
One thing i still don't get is how to deal with infidelity in a marriage or a very serious relationship IMO..the only remedy is not really a remedy, because it is to end the relationship! Kawai!!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by gbengaAIG: 7:04am On May 15, 2015
Both of the party were sincerly and faithfully,not like infidelity those days.
Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by Nobody: 7:05am On May 15, 2015
babyosisi:

My grandmother for instance never chose my grandpa as her husband
In those days their opinion didn't matter
That choice was made for her without her consent and she had no choice but marry him and she had no choice but to stay married come rain or shine
It is different today

i don't know what society you are from but the truth is most African societies our father's time although did arranged marriages but the choice to marry was still her's. What you call lack of choice is actually people councelling you and advising you to take it like they probably did him too! Most times, when i hear feminists bring up this arguement to prove women's victimhood, i am like...isn't it the same Africa our grandmothers will bring a woman from the village and ask our fathers to marry just because he's of marriageable age and still single and because all of her mates are now grandmothers except her and our fathers couldn't turn down her request especially when she begins to shed tears?

And please don't tell me "oh, that's why feminism is here, so as to help men too!" the truth is it has never been about fairness and i am not going to be decieved by that!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by Toks2008(m): 7:06am On May 15, 2015
brownlord:
Kai so many reasons.

Parents was the one making choices for their kids.

It was an era when the most important thing was family background, unlike today, it is pocket background,

Even when family background is considered, it's about how wealthy the family is, honesty, good morals etc no longer count, just have money, the would-be inlaw's don't care about the illicit activities in the family.

I noticed then, A woman never get to know her partner until the day of marriage, which in most times she will refuse, they had little or no choice, even though there was no courtship like we having today, they still get to love themselves... the love was not there from the beginning.

Their priority was raising a good family.

They were not looking for 6 packs in men and men not all about light skin, yellow-label skin etc, it was about decency, honesty, modesty, integrity...etc

It was a time, the man was the head of the family.

It was a time, women were shy of losing their virginity before getting married....Unlike today girls boast of how many yahoo boys they have slept with.

What went wrong?

Honestly i really don't know what went wrong. The world has gone crazy and just some few weeks back i read of a yeyebrity writing on social media about 100days without sex and i wonder how shameless some ladies can be.

Many marriages crumble today because of the ex factor where many ladies compare your dick and your sexual prowess to their ex(es), where a man feels so unsure whether he is satisfying you as you want considering the number of d*cks that have swam in your wife in the past and strangely enough ladies even crave to have that satanic experience of tasting more than one d*ck just to have that feeling of evil experience..

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by Pavore9: 7:09am On May 15, 2015
ideykwum:
I can't quarrel with your argument! It has lots of merit!

Thank you for that.
Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by Ahmeduana(m): 7:09am On May 15, 2015
tpiadotcom:

why did the olden days scam last longer and better than the modern day ones?
BECAUSE THEN IN THE OLDEN DAYS, THERE WAS NO iPHONE, NO SAMSUNG galaxy, NO iPAD, NO GALAXY tab, NO BRAZILIAN HAIR ATTACH, NO PLASMA TVS, LCD TVS, NO LED TVS NO BUGGATI VERON, NO 5STARS RESTAURANT, NO DUBAI, NO DANGOTE, NO SENATOR YERIMA, NO SENATOR BUKOLA, NO GOVERNOR AKPABIO, NO ADVISER FFK, NO DAVIDO, NO PSQUARE, NO DBANJ, NO SHOPRITE, GRAND SQUARE. AND THE FEW OF THESE THINGS I MADE MENTION OF ARE NOT UTILISED TO OPPRESS OR SUPPRESS THE LESS PRIVILEDGES AND THE FEW RICH FELLAS ARE GOD FEARING, AND AS FOR THE POOR FELLAS THEY DON'T HAVE LONGER THROAT, THE ARE QUITE CONTENTED. NOW TELL WHY WON'T THE HAVE A PEACEFUL, LONGER AND TILL DEATH DO US APART MARRIAGE LIFE?
Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by kingston247: 7:10am On May 15, 2015
tpiadotcom:
Strange!

Modern marriages have both the husband and wife either wishing for death or divorce as their only alternatives, why marry if you hate your fellow human?

Nor be by force nah.

because the girls got no home training unlike our mothers...

1 Like

Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by Zeze06(m): 7:12am On May 15, 2015
eleojo23:
Because people are looking for easy comfort. If there is a little problem, they just quit, no effort to resolve the issue.

If someone only holds on in good times and gives up when things aren't smooth, one cannot but question his/her commitment to the relationship.

If i shld ask, what do you consider a remedy or express solution to INfIDELITY in marriage or a serious relationship??
Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by umarc19: 7:13am On May 15, 2015
ideykwum:
This is the most sound interpretation of the problem I have heard in a long time!!

Thanks! I also examined myself and found myself wanting in some areas! Thanks!

U welcum sir, hope u will rectify those areas u found urself wanting.
Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by Rapture4real(m): 7:16am On May 15, 2015
tpiadotcom:
Strange!

Modern marriages have both the husband and wife either wishing for death or divorce as their only alternatives, why marry if you hate your fellow human?

Nor be by force nah.

VALUE.The olden days have vulues that hold marriage.whether a christian,Muslim or not traditionally there were cherished values.But today westernisation has dealt a deadly blow on us plus end time spirits.In thoses days there were respect,humility,fidelity etc but now evil exposure has exposed us to dangers.The divorce rates are dangerously too high now.So answer:Value system

1 Like

Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by trapQ: 7:17am On May 15, 2015
Yes blame it on the women like you'll always do. If men showed love to their wives , marriage will work
Osama10:
Women of Olden days had deep respect & were submissive to their husbands.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by kingston247: 7:18am On May 15, 2015
Adaeze003:

Preach! Sis or bro Lol...

For those who want to stay? Stop whining! That one persons marriage didn't work doesn't mean yours won't! You have to work on your marriage and not just yourself!

You can't expect that today's independent woman will let herself be cheated on without divorcing yo behind or worse, doing same to you. tongue

You all don't want liabilities no more, you want her to work, do all the chores, raise your children and then... what do you say again? "Be your ho" undecided oh... and you don't want a maid in your home undecided undecided one question, are you high?

you can't expect to oppress, be abusive or worse, unemotional or what do you say again? "I no longer find her attractive" and then you want her to stay there "for the kids"... is marriage for the kids? did she marry you for the kids? Or for you?

Work on your home and stop whining, times have changed and things changed with it. If you don't wanna work then pick a naive girl from the villa. It's really that simple.

Girls like these end up single...

1 Like

Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by SAMBARRY: 7:18am On May 15, 2015
donbenedict:
Because the new ones think its some sort of a contract agreement
from the look of things is it not
Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by horlaryehmee(m): 7:19am On May 15, 2015
Wen u don tok ur mind finish
Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by SAMBARRY: 7:23am On May 15, 2015
kingston247:

Girls like these end up single...
Because they say what you don't like? grin and by the way is singlehood supposed to be some form of threat or something? grin
Is that a new line? grin
Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by Nobody: 7:27am On May 15, 2015
Toks2008:
Sometimes i also think this breakup is because we tend to overlook due diligence when going into a new relationship.

Have you wondered why some people have this way of not dioscussing their failed marriages or courtship? its because most of them have nothing worthwhile to say.

When we meet a new person who have been in a previous affair,many of us just start a new affair with such without asking deep questions and most times we realize too late after a recurrence of what led to the former breakup.

If we meet a new person and we are really interested in making such part of our lives,is it not just normal to really know the past no matter how unpleasant it may be at least you will have an idea of how to make the affair better.

Why do you think employers want to know your history of jobs? why do they ask for references? and why do they ask for years of experience?

You can never have a good plan of where you are going with someone when you have no clue of where the person is coming from.

As a lady you meet a man you see as WOW yet this guy killed his ex yet you have no idea of his past.

Many men have lost their lives by going into relationships with married ladies without even having a clue that these ladies are married.

Many ladies have ended up getting pregnant for a married man because they foolishly believed every poo the guy told them and how many men have fallen into the hands of evil women thinking they are angels of light

In my opinion,its not out of place to investigate the past of whoever you want to spend your life with and this is why marriages of our mothers lasts because the parents of those days do a thorough investigation not just on the bride or groom to be but deep into their genealogy.

Many will still say this writeup is trash but this is my frank opinion. INVESTIGATE BEFORE YOU COMMIT YOURSELF TO THAT PERSON.

Have you heard of these words "Once a divorcee is always a divorcee"

This assertion have been heard by me many times and until recently i had to sit down to decipher the deep rooted message in that sentence.

If you check very well, in every breakup whether in a courtship or marriage, there is usually that party that would say im done while there will be one that would be like "well we can still work it out"

If you meticulously follow the breakup and subsequent relationships these individuals go into after they part ways,you will often realize an interesting trend that the partner who says no room for reconciliation usually end up breaking up the new affair and YES by my research this happens 80% of the time. The reason why this happens is because there will always be a reason to break up no matter how perfect any affair may seem to be and if you were rigid enough to walk out of a previous affair over issues that is reconcilable then there is a great tendency to do it again and again in subsequent affairs hence justifying the assertion that once a divorcee will always be one.

This has made me realize that it is always better to scrutinize the past of any new person we want to start an affair with because when it comes to character, more often than not, humans are like leopards who never change their spots

a trillion likes!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by SAMBARRY: 7:27am On May 15, 2015
kingston247:

because the girls got no home training unlike our mothers...
but the" boys"have home training like their fathers grin
Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by Acidosis(m): 7:33am On May 15, 2015
...because our mothers do not go about dating 3,4,5 men before marriage.

The woman of today will keep jumping from Chinedu to Akpos to Olawale to Rufus. She'll then weigh all based on monetary acquisition before settling down.

Our mothers stick with one man (each)!

It is abomination to sleep with 3,4 men before marriage then, but today its adventurous. We believe the faster & hotter in bed, the better cheesy

Never underrate the power of s p e r m. The higher the number of s p e r m you've stored from different sources, the harder it becomes to settle. S p e r m s do not settle, they swim & jump from one end to another.
grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by SAMBARRY: 7:38am On May 15, 2015
Here we go again sanctimonious hypocrite. I don taya for una matter o
aren't you the people that will say you don't want virgins virgins are frigid. You want women with experience. When the student con get experience finish won't she be more versatile than her teacher so please let me hear word and back to the how many days she has had sex. So u thought it's only men that know how to be verbally expressive when analysing sex with their friends over a bottle of gulder.

ptsheww
Toks2008:

Honestly i really don't know what went wrong. The world has gone crazy and just some few weeks back i read of a yeyebrity writing on social media about 100days without sex and i wonder how shameless some ladies can be.

Many marriages crumble today because of the ex factor where many ladies compare your dick and your sexual prowess to their ex(es), where a man feels so unsure whether he is satisfying you as you want considering the number of d*cks that have swam in your wife in the past and strangely enough ladies even crave to have that satanic experience of tasting more than one d*ck just to have that feeling of evil experience..
Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by michaelbiz: 7:39am On May 15, 2015
Chiam55:

Marriage is no longer a NEED.

Chiam55:

This is the modern world with it's modern families. There was absolutely nothing good about the olden days so start being grateful for TODAY! Amen grin

My dear chiamaka {moniker says so} wink
Don't be carried away by today's promise of 'freedom to love', 'freedom to live' and so on
Cos like many out there, there's no homes, yet we live in the big city...no roads, yet we see roads everywhere
It's the opposite paradoxically
It's harder now my dear

Life was sooooooo beautiful back then to the point that my mum would rather go back to black n white (her voice suddenly sounds like cinderella when she starts her sweet good ol'days story) LOL happy birthday hun kiss
Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by virtuedagirl(f): 7:40am On May 15, 2015
Osama10:
Women of Olden days had deep respect & were submissive to their husbands.
I believe the problem lies here in as much as women should be submissive,respect should be mutual,if men will learn to love&respect their wives & wives do same in addition to being submissive our marriages will be be enjoyable&last long

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by SAMBARRY: 7:42am On May 15, 2015
If they don't jump from chinedu to onyeka and chibuzor how will they gather experience. Why do you think employers ask how many years of experience do you have before applying in this company. .

Shebi the elders say experience is the best teacher
Acidosis:
...because our mothers do not go about dating 3,4,5 men before marriage.

The woman of today will keep jumping from Chinedu to Akpos to Olawale to Rufus. She'll then weigh all based on monetary acquisition before settling down.

Our mothers stick with one man (each)!

It is abomination to sleep with 3,4 men before marriage then, but today its adventurous.
Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by macino1(m): 7:42am On May 15, 2015
A time when ladies use their suppose husband as boyfriend and marry their suppose boyfriend as husband. And ofcourse vis a vis the guys. You know what i mean.
Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by Nobody: 7:42am On May 15, 2015
eleojo23:
Because people are looking for easy comfort. If there is a little problem, they just quit, no effort to resolve the issue.

Marriage is work. Many marital problems can be avoided when couples take time to understand each other and try to resolve issues that may come between them. But people would rather prefer to live in the dream world and ride high on feelings. That is the modern day philosophy - it has to feel good all the time.
Anyone who has a good understanding of how life works knows that it won't always be easy and that hard times are the test of your seriousness with the relationship/marriage.
If someone only holds on in good times and gives up when things aren't smooth, one cannot but question his/her commitment to the relationship/marriage.

I always love your posts eleojo smiley
Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by Nobody: 7:44am On May 15, 2015
sukkot:
cuz there was no internet back then. now with internet and mobile phones women stash porn in their phones and expect every man to have 20 inches of gbola. their expectations done high now. if your gbola no touch your knee-cap dem no go stay inside marriage. internet done corrupt everybody finishgrin JUST KIDDING

grin grin chai! I don die!!!
Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by SAMBARRY: 7:48am On May 15, 2015
Gbam. They are looking for a combination of robot, sek machine and baby making machine as well as a bimbo cook and cleaner. That means that they will have to clone their wives
Adaeze003:

Preach! Sis or bro

1 Like

Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by Acidosis(m): 7:48am On May 15, 2015
SAMBARRY:
If they don't jump from chinedu to onyeka and chibuzor how will they gather experience. Why do you think employers ask how many years of experience do you have before applying in this company. .

Shebi the elders say experience is the best teacher

Yea, same reason marriages crash. Divorce is important for the experience folks, so they can further their career with more gbolla, better pay & career development.
Re: Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? by SAMBARRY: 7:50am On May 15, 2015
Acidosis:

Yea, same reason marriages crash. Divorce is important for the experience folks, so they can further their career with more gbolla, better pay & career development.
exactly grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

An Awkward Moment At The Office Today / Youths Flog Boy Mercilessly For Insulting His Mother In Edo (VIDEO) / Husbands Or Wives With Mouth Odour, How Do You Cope?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.