Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,825 members, 7,824,441 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 10:20 AM

Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. - Sports (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (249231 Views)

Nigeria Vs South Africa 2019 AFCON Qualifiers: 0 - 2 (Full Time) / Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (161) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 9:26am On Jun 08, 2015
Oboabona: We’ll Not Underrrate Chad, Others.

Super Eagles defender, Godfrey Oboabona has informed Complete Sports that they are in the country to give their best against Chad in the June 13 African Cup of Nations qualifier, saying they have learnt.
The Turkey based former Sunshine Stars Football Club of Akure defender, who is one of the fifteen foreign based players invited by Coach Stephen Keshi for the 2017 AFCON qualifier, also told Complete Sports that they will give their best to make Nigerians happy this time around.
“It was painful that we could not make in 2015 but I must tell you that we have learnt from that and we are ready to do our best to make sure that Nigeria makes it this time around. Coming early to camp is a sign that all the players are here for business”, says the Nigeria international.
“We are not going to take it lightly with Chad, we will see every game as a Cup final and that is the resolve of the players here in camp. We have met the coaches and we have both agreed that Nigeria must be at the next edition of the African Cup of Nations in Gabon.
While being asked what caused the team’s failure in 2015, the former Sunshine Star defender said he has put that behind him and is looking forward to what he wants to achieve with the team at the 2017 edition.
“I don’t want to talk about the past, we are here to beat Chad and that is exactly what we are going to do. I must also tell you that we are not also going to underrate any team in the process of qualifying for the AFCON" he sums up.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/oboabona-well-not-underrrate-chad-others/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 9:35am On Jun 08, 2015
Babatunde Dumps Volyn Over Unpaid Salaries.
—Holds Talks With Clubs In Germany, France

By Johnny Edward:
Nigerian international Michael Babatunde has terminated his contract with his Ukrainian club, Volyn, over breach of contract, the player has informed
completesportsnigeria.com.
Babatunde revealed that he was owed seven months salaries and barely survived the just concluded season.
He also added that he is open to offers from clubs to further his career in Europe.
"I'm the bread winner of my family and barely lived up to my responsibilities recently, so for me it was best to end it," he told completesportsnigeria.com.
Babatunde, currently with the Super Eagles squad preparing for next Saturday's AFCON qualifier against Chad, also revealed that his agent is in talks with some clubs in France, Scotland and Germany.
"There are talks ongoing with some teams but before the transfer window reopens I will decide on which team I will join," he told
Completesportsnigeria.com Sunday evening.
Meanwhile Volyn coach Vitaliy kvartsyanyi revealed to football.ua that he's best players may not return to the club in August as they went on break with empty pockets.
Babatunde scored twice as Volyn finished seventh on the Ukrainian log.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/babatunde-dumps-volyn-over-unpaid-salaries/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 10:19am On Jun 08, 2015
Onazi Happy With Eagles Reunion.

Super Eagles and SC Lazio midfield enforcer, Onazi Ogenyi has expressed his delight over the camaraderie that exists in camp as the team prepare to face Chad in the 2017 AFCON qualifier in Kaduna this weekend.
Still basking in the euphoria of his club qualification for UEFA Champions League football next season, at the expense of Napoli where he scored Lazio’s third goal, Onazi posited that the atmosphere of love within Super Eagles camp is what the team needs to begin a fresh campaign and reach the pinnacle of success.
He showered encomiums on Coach Stephen Keshi and the coaching crew for their efforts at ensuring that the bond that saw Nigeria emerge as African Champions 2013 is restored, adding that the coast is clear for the team to return to winning with victory against Chad as non negotiable.
“I am happy with the environment and everybody is in high spirits. We are happy to come together again now that we have put our past behind us. I have always said that better is not good enough for the best is yet to come. It feels great to come together as one happy family at the end of European football season," begins Onazi.
"Big boss is like a father to us and it feels great to have him and the crew around. We just want to play and ensure Nigeria qualify for Gabon 2017 and that, we shall achieve by the special grace of God,” he said.
Onazi scored his first Serie A goal on the last day of the season, to help his Lazio side beat Napoli 4:2 in a Champions League play off decider.
Lazio were 3rd on the table going into the game and needing a point to guarantee they finish above Napoli, who saw their Manager Rafa Benitez sit in the dugout for the last time.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/onazi-happy-with-eagles-reunion/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by seankafor(m): 10:22am On Jun 08, 2015
pls can somebody explain to me why the super eagles isnt playing any friendly match?
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 10:38am On Jun 09, 2015
seankafor:
pls can somebody explain to me why the super eagles isnt playing any friendly match?
You are even talking about friendly games when NFF wanted Keshi to prosecute the game against Chad with basically home based players as a cost cutting measure. It seems NFF are underrating the opposition who even beat Guinea that can be a hard nut to crack by the SE any day.

Chad Fire Eagles Warning, Beat Guinea 2-1.
Super Eagles AFCON opponents, Chad defeated Guinea 2-1 in an international friendly game on Saturday in Saint-Leu Paris, comple tesportsnigeria.com reports.
Alou Cissé gave the Guinea the lead in the 65th minute before Ezekiel Ndouassel restored parity for the CEMAC Cup champions in the 82nd minute with a glancing header.
However, a stoppage time own goal from the Syli Stars skipper, Florentin Pogba handed Emmanuel Tregoat his first win in 2015 ahead of next Saturday’s AFCON qualifier against Nigeria in Kaduna.
Guinea coach, Luis Fernandez said after the game: “I’m happy with the state of mind that I have seen. All players have not yet arrived and I only had three strikers. But that does not matter; the important thing was not there.”
“We had some interesting phases of the game. I also like the atmosphere here; it reminds me of childhood memories. I feel good in this group showed a great attitude.” Fernandez told reporters according to Nang-yadji Natabe a Chadian football representative in Paris.
Meanwhile Guinea host Swaziland in Casablanca next Friday.
The match facts
Goals: Guinea: A. Cissé (65th); Chad: Nouassel (82), Pogba (90 + 1e).
GUINEA: Conde – Camara, Zayatte (Guilavogui P., 73), F. Pogba – Fofana (N. Keita, 85th), Landel (Ismaël Bangoura Karba, 58th) – A. Cissé, Lass Bangoura (Baio, 54th), I . Sylla (Ibrahima Sory Bangoura, 58th) – Kamano (S. Keita, 73), Mr. Yattara. Coach: L. Fernandez.
CHAD: Dillah – Madtoingue, Ndoram, Nicaise, Hardun – Azack, Kidigui – Betorangal (Beadoum, 77th), Labbo (Casimir Ninga, 54th), Ndouassel – Mbayam (Djimenan, 71st). Coach: E. Tregoat.
newsng.com/nigeria-news/2015/06/chad-fire-eagles-warning-beat-guinea-2-1/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by seankafor(m): 11:21am On Jun 09, 2015
terzurum5:

You are even talking about friendly games when NFF wanted Keshi to prosecute the game against Chad with basically home based players as a cost cutting measure. It seems NFF are underrating the opposition who even beat Guinea that can be a hard nut to crack by the SE any day.

Chad Fire Eagles Warning, Beat Guinea 2-1.
Super Eagles AFCON opponents, Chad defeated Guinea 2-1 in an international friendly game on Saturday in Saint-Leu Paris, comple tesportsnigeria.com reports.
Alou Cissé gave the Guinea the lead in the 65th minute before Ezekiel Ndouassel restored parity for the CEMAC Cup champions in the 82nd minute with a glancing header.
However, a stoppage time own goal from the Syli Stars skipper, Florentin Pogba handed Emmanuel Tregoat his first win in 2015 ahead of next Saturday’s AFCON qualifier against Nigeria in Kaduna.
Guinea coach, Luis Fernandez said after the game: “I’m happy with the state of mind that I have seen. All players have not yet arrived and I only had three strikers. But that does not matter; the important thing was not there.”
“We had some interesting phases of the game. I also like the atmosphere here; it reminds me of childhood memories. I feel good in this group showed a great attitude.” Fernandez told reporters according to Nang-yadji Natabe a Chadian football representative in Paris.
Meanwhile Guinea host Swaziland in Casablanca next Friday.
The match facts
Goals: Guinea: A. Cissé (65th); Chad: Nouassel (82), Pogba (90 + 1e).
GUINEA: Conde – Camara, Zayatte (Guilavogui P., 73), F. Pogba – Fofana (N. Keita, 85th), Landel (Ismaël Bangoura Karba, 58th) – A. Cissé, Lass Bangoura (Baio, 54th), I . Sylla (Ibrahima Sory Bangoura, 58th) – Kamano (S. Keita, 73), Mr. Yattara. Coach: L. Fernandez.
CHAD: Dillah – Madtoingue, Ndoram, Nicaise, Hardun – Azack, Kidigui – Betorangal (Beadoum, 77th), Labbo (Casimir Ninga, 54th), Ndouassel – Mbayam (Djimenan, 71st). Coach: E. Tregoat.
newsng.com/nigeria-news/2015/06/chad-fire-eagles-warning-beat-guinea-2-1/
hmm. Sometimes i even think whether these guys reasons through their anus?...
As of yesterday i was exploring the ahmadu bello stadium in kaduna through the internet. I asked my self whether is this what were going to showcase to the world.
Other countries been showcasing their best stadias, we ere here showcasing one uncovered hall they call stadim.
I knw keshi has always wanted to play in kaduna, now he got it, i guess there is no excuse for failure.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 11:26am On Jun 09, 2015
Egypt Spy On Nigeria, Chad.
Word was rife in Abuja that the Egyptian FA is leaving no stone unturned to get hold of this weekend’s AFCON 2017 qualifier between the Super Eagles and Chad, billed for Ahmadu Bello Stadium, Kaduna.
Complete Sports decent source scooped that the move by the Egyptian FA to get Nigeria versus Chad match footage, is in line with coach Hector Cuper ‘s programmes to ensure The Pharaohs qualify for Gabon 2017, having missed out on three editions.
Indeed, the investigation was confirmed when Cuper exclusively revealed to Complete Sports in a telephone chat, that he is determined to comb all nooks and crannies of Nigeria to secure Super Eagles latest footage because he would work with it as the qualifiers progress.
“I know lots of Nigerian players abroad but my plan is to make sure we get their tapes and see how football is played in their league. I need to study Nigeria’s tapes and prepare hard for them,” he said.
Egypt face Tanzania in other qualifiers and would attempt to qualify ahead of Nigeria in a bid to avoid the best losers’ spot. It remains to be seen how Super Eagles intend to avoid some of the pitfalls that characterized the last qualification, which saw Nigeria losing to Congo Brazzaville and Sudan respectively. The Pharoahs beat Malawi 2-i in an international friendly on Monday.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/egypt-spy-on-nigeria-chad/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 11:35am On Jun 09, 2015
seankafor:
hmm. Sometimes i even think whether these guys reasons through their anus?...
Reall? Men you harsh ooo!
As of yesterday i was exploring the ahmadu bello stadium in kaduna through the internet. I asked my self whether is this what were going to showcase to the world.
Other countries been showcasing their best stadias, we ere here showcasing one uncovered hall they call stadim.
I knw keshi has always wanted to play in kaduna, now he got it, i guess there is no excuse for failure.
On pages of newspaper and other media headlines, they seem to put the interest of this nation at the fore front but men, when they begin to act you can't just help but conclude, they are after their own selfish interest.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by seankafor(m): 12:27pm On Jun 09, 2015
terzurum5:

On pages of newspaper and other media headlines, they seem to put the interest of this nation at the fore front but men, when they begin to act you can't just help but conclude, they are after their own selfish interest.
i wonder

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 12:33pm On Jun 09, 2015
Keshi: Kaduna Weather, Pitch Good for Super Eagles.
Super Eagles gaffer Stephen Okechukwu Keshi says he is not losing sleep over Kaduna weather as Nigeria begins qualification for Gabon 2017 AFCON against Chad at the Ahmadu Bello Stadium on Saturday.
In an exclusive chat with CS on Monday, the former Hawks of Togo manager expressed his relief and delights with the clement weather in Kaduna, stressing that weather condition won’t be a barrier when his players go out for the kill in Saturday’s game.
Kaduna weather forecast is expected to rise to 32 degree on Saturday with 20% precipitation and 63 % humid raising fears over Super Eagles readiness to play under the heat. But Keshi has calmed frayed nerves and assure Nigerians that his players will defy every odd to beat Chad.
“Everything is going on fine here; our training has been fantastic and the players are responding well. As for the weather, here is clement, we need not worry over the weather around us because my players are looking forward to do Nigeria proud. The environment here is good and pitch is okay too, “he said.
match will be the first match by the Super Eagles on the natural turf of Ahmadu Bello Stadium since a 4-0 international friendly victory over the Stallions of Burkina Faso on September 10, 2013.
The former Les Eagles of Mali manager insists that he has since put the disappointment of missing out of 2015 AFCON but maintained that he does not want to give up his dreams of winning the AFCOn for the second time as a coach.
While admitting that much is not known of the Chadians, the Big Boss said he is working round the clock to raise a formidable team Nigeria can be proud of, adding that he will dig deeply into his technical books of tricks and come up with a tactics that will neutralize his opponent on Saturday.
“We will keep working hard to qualify for AFCON 2017. We don’t really know much about the Chadians but we are preparing hard to get the three points. Let’s Nigerians rally behind the team and we shall all celebrate after the match.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/keshi-kaduna-weather-pitch-good-for-super-eagles/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 12:36pm On Jun 09, 2015
Balogun: Eagles Won’t Underrate Chad.
—Nigeria Defender Targets Maximum Points In All AFCON Qualifier.
Super Eagles right-back Leon Balogun has boasted that beating Chad and bagging the maximum three points in their African Cup of Nations qualifier on Saturday is not negotiable.
Balogun told Complete Sport that the Eagles will, without sounding disrespectful, have a real go at Chad with the maximum points in mind, adding that he is looking forward to his competitive debut in Kaduna.
He stated that they (players) have resolved to win all their qualifying matches enroute to booking a ticket to the African Nations Cup in Gabon next year, noting that Chad will not spoil things for them this early.
"We wont underrate the Chadians because the game has developed so much that no country is a push over again in Africa,” he told comple tesportsnigeria.com.
“ Chad are underdogs and could prove to be difficult on Saturday but they must get beaten no matter the scoreline.
"What happened to us in the friendly against Uganda will never happen again. We have learnt our lesson, that is why we won’t spare the Chadians. The plan is to win all our games at home and away. Nigeria cannot afford to miss AFCON again."
Asked if he would be able to cope with the physical and rebust African football, the Germany-based Balogun said that he has been able to adjust, adding he is also an African.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/balogun-eagles-wont-underrate-chad/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 10:14pm On Jun 10, 2015
Germany U20 Skipper Open for Super Eagles.
Germany skipper Kevin Akpoguma will come up against the Flying Eagles of Nigeria in Thursday’s U20 World Cup Round of 16 clash, but he has said he has not ruled out the possibility of featuring for Nigeria’s full international team.
Akpoguma's father is Kelvin and hails from Benin City in Midwest Nigeria.
He and his wife, Annett, are here in Christchurch, New Zealand, to cheer their 20-year-old son to glory at the U20 World Cup.
The son said he expects his father, who moved to Germany over 20 years ago, to wave the flags of both countries on Thursday during the signing of the national anthems.
But the younger Akpoguma, whose heroes are Jerome Boateng and Yaya Toure, said world champions Germany will be his first choice, but would at the same time not shut the door on the Super Eagles.
“As long as I can play for Germany, I will leave this door open,” he told The Press.
“If I see the level is too high, maybe, I will look for the other goal (with Nigeria).”
Akpoguma has visited his father’s country twice and could still play for Nigeria at full international level should he decide to do so.
But the immediate focus of the imposing central defender is Thursday’s U20 World Cup Round of 16 clash against the Flying Eagles at Christchurch.
“It will be a special game for me because my dad is from Nigeria,” said Kevin, who has scored at this tournament thus far and will next season go on loan to German second division side Fortuna Dusseldorf from Hoffenheim where he has yet to make his first-team debut.
“It will be a normal game. I will be preparing myself like every game.”
africanfootball.com//news/537939/Germany-U20-skipper-open-for-Super-Eagles

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 10:16pm On Jun 10, 2015
Enyeama Unhappy With Afcon Venue.
Nigeria captain and goalkeeper, Vincent Enyeama, has expressed dissatisfaction with the choice of the Ahmadu Bello Stadium in Kaduna as venue for the 2017 Afcon qualifying match against Chad this weekend.
The LOSC Lille Metropole goalkeeper explained that he is concerned about the current situation in the country and feels the safety of players and fans need to be taken into account.
But the former Enyimba man said he believes that his country's authorities know "exactly what to do to make us safe."
“I'm not satisfied with the choice of Kaduna and you know I’m a very outspoken person. I don’t like the choice of Kaduna based on what is happening in the country but then the government knows exactly what to do make us safe.
“I am concerned because it’s not Kaduna but because of the security thing. I really don’t care where we play as long as there is going to be security and safety of the players and everyone coming to watch the match,” Enyeama told Brila FM.
The Super Eagles start their quest to qualify for the next edition of the Africa Cup of Nations in Gabon in two years, and the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has opted to the stadium in Kaduna after the men's national team have played in Abuja, Calabar and recently the new Akwa Ibom Stadium in Uyo, where they have enjoyed little success.
mobi.supersport.com/football/super-eagles/news/150610/Enyeama_unhappy_with_Afcon_venue

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 10:21pm On Jun 10, 2015
AFCON 2017 QUALIFIER: No mercy for Chad – Musa.
Russian-based Nigerian slippery winger, Ahmed Musa, has warned that it will be a costly mistake for the Super Eagles to underrate visiting Chadian national team when the 2017 Africa Nations Cup qualifier clash comes underway this weekend in Kaduna, stressing that Eagles will be merciless against the visitors.
While fielding question from SoccerStar during a media parley with the players and technical crew at the Eagles camp in Abuja, the CSKA Moscow winger maintained that the target of the team is to secure an outright victory against Chad, promising to score.
Reacting to the match, he said: “We all know the importance of the game and we have every reason to thank God that we are playing our first qualifier encounter at home. Playing before our fans, we will do our best to ensure an emphatic victory against Chad in Kaduna on Saturday.”
“My promise to Nigerians is that I will go extra mile to ensure that I put my name on the scorers chart. Whenever I am playing for Nigeria, my target is to score goals but you also know that it is team game and the most important thing is for the Super Eagles to pick the three points at stake with an outright victory,” he noted.
Dismissing insinuations that head coach, Stephen Keshi would have used home-based players to prosecute the encounter against Chad, Musa argued that there are no pushovers in world football, warning that it would be a costly mistake to underrate Chad.
His words: “It is wrong to think that foreign-based players would not have been involved in prosecuting this match against Chad. The worst mistake we can make is to underrate Chad because there are no pushovers in world football. We cannot write-off Chad until the end of the 90 minutes.”
sunnewsonline.com/new/?p=122690.

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 11:11pm On Jun 10, 2015
Fallen Giants Seek Return to Nations Cup.
CAPE TOWN (Reuters) - Fallen giants Egypt and Nigeria begin their bids to return to the African Nations Cup finals with potentially easy assignments on the opening weekend of qualifying for the 2017 tournament.
Record winners Egypt, with seven previous triumphs including three in a row from 2006 to 2010, have missed out on the last three finals, but hope the appointment of Hector Cuper as coach will help provide a change of fortune.
The former Valencia and Inter Milan boss has selected a strong squad for Sunday’s Group G match against Tanzania in Alexandria, which will be played behind closed doors due to a ban on football crowds in the country.
Egypt share the same group as Nigeria, who were 2013 Nations Cup winners, but did not qualify for the 2015 finals. Stephen Keshi has returned as Nigeria coach and begins his new tenure at home to Chad on Saturday in Kaduna.
His decision to leave out Chelsea midfielder John Obi Mikel, after telling local reporters he wanted to give an opportunity to other players, maintains his reputation for making controversial decisions.
MOROCCO REPRIEVE
Morocco were supposed to host the last Nations Cup but pulled out because of fears over the Ebola virus and were handed a ban from the next two editions.
That was overturned, however, by the Court of Arbitration for Sport and Morocco host Libya in Agadir on Friday in Group F.
In nearby Casablanca, Guinea, who are banned from competing at home because of the threat of Ebola in their country, play against Swaziland on Friday in Group L.
Former France international Luis Fernandez has taken over as Guinea coach and is among 23 managerial appointments at African national teams in recent months.
All but two countries, Eritrea and Somalia, have entered the preliminaries of the competition in a record turnout for the Nations Cup, with 26 qualifiers taking place this weekend.
The winner of each of the 13 groups will qualify for the finals plus the two best runners-up and 2017 hosts Gabon.
Holders Ivory Coast play in Libreville on Sunday against Gabon, who are part of the qualifying process, but matches involving them in Group I will not count towards the final standings.
Five months after winning the 2015 finals in Equatorial Guinea, the Ivorians are without a permanent coach after Herve Renard quit to join French Ligue 1 club Lille, while midfielder Yaya Toure will also be absent.
Ghana, runners-up to the Ivorians in February, are expected to notch up a sizeable scoreline against Mauritius in Accra on Sunday in coach Avram Grant's first competitive home match in charge.
www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/06/11/fallen-giants-seek-return-nations-cup

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 11:19pm On Jun 10, 2015
Esiti Plots Victorious Eagles Debut.
Estoril of Portugal midfielder Anderson Esiti has told Comple tesportsnigeria.com that he is looking forward to a winning debut when the Super Eagles take on Chad in their opening AFCON qualifier in Kaduna.
Esiti who played all 90 minutes for the Eagles in Tuesday's 4-0 win over Kaduna United is keen to get going on his full debut on Saturday.
"I'm looking forward to the game and I just want a winning start," he told comple tesportsnigeria.com.
"Playing alongside (John) Ogu and (Ogenyi)Onazi was splendid because they both offer the team different qualities which help the team."
He also rechoed coach Stephen Keshi's views that Chad will be respected.
"We know what to do and we will get on the pitch do get the job done to the delight of our fans. We are preparing well and we won'tdisappoint," he stressed.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/esiti-plots-victorious-eagles-debut/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 11:21pm On Jun 10, 2015
Sokari Eyes Super Eagles Spot.
Flying Eagles star, Kingsley Sokari, is hopeful his performance at the ongoing FIFA U-20 World Cup in New Zealand can help him cement a place in the senior national team.
The Enyimba midfielder has impressed in the middle of the pack for Manu Garba's men since coming as a replacement for Kelechi Iheanacho in the African champions' opening fixture against Brazil. His eye catching performances have made many to tip him for greater things and a future role in the Super Eagles.
Though he insists he still has to polish his game to earn a place in Stephen Keshi's side, the youngster has high high hopes for the future.
"It will be great to be an important member of the Super Eagles, but I need to work really hard to get to that level," he declared to comple tesportsnigeria.com.
"It was great getting to watch the likes of Sunday Oliseh and Jay Jay play for the Super Eagles and I hope to emulate them one day.
"For now, I need to keep improving my game as I still have a lot to learn."
www.completesportsnigeria.com/sokari-eyes-super-eagles-spot/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 11:30pm On Jun 10, 2015
Keshi: No Problem With Mikel.
—Eagles Coach To Recall Chelsea Star In September
Ahead of Saturday's AFCON qualifier against Chad, Super Eagles coach Stephen Keshi has made a shock revelation regarding dropped Chelsea star Mikel Obi.
The former Togo and Mali boss told cafonline.com that the 28-year-old is the most responsible player he has worked with in Nigeria.
Keshi left Mikel out of the squad to face Chad but insists the decision was not antagonistic.
"I don't have any problem with Mikel," Keshi told cafonline.com.
"I spoke with him and duly informed him that he was not going to be part of the group for this match against Chad.
"Maybe I should clarify this; Mikel is about one of the most responsible players I have worked with in this team. Not being here for this match against Chad has nothing to do with any quarrel. I have told him, I want to give opportunity to some other players.
"Maybe he would be available in September because Mikel for me is the most professional and disciplined player I have had in the team. This is just an opportunity for some other kids; Mikel is part of the team. So, there is no problem between us."
www.completesportsnigeria.com/keshi-no-problem-with-mikel/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 12:23pm On Jun 11, 2015
Oshaniwa Not Disappointed With Super Eagles Snub.
Ashdod of Israel and Eagles defender, Juwon Oshaniwa has revealed that he is far from disappointed for not being part of the invited players for this weekend’s match against Chad in the AFCON qualifiers.
The 24-year-old was part of Nigeria’s World Cup campaign and subsequent Afcon qualifier months after but was left out by returnee Coach, Stephen Keshi for the 2013 Champions attempt at another title.
Oshaniwa told www.footballlive.ngthat he was certain of his abilities and understood the decision to invite players for national assignments was the coach’s prerogative.
“I can’t be disappointed because I know I’m good enough to play any other day and I am confident in my abilities. It’s up to the coach to invite whosoever he wants to execute any game with and those reasons are entirely his responsibility not mine..”

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 2:24pm On Jun 11, 2015
Babatunde: We’re Feady for Chad
Super Eagles winger, Babatunde Michael has set a target of securing the maximum three points against Chad, in Saturday’s 2017 African Cup of Nations qualifier billed to hold at the Ahmadu Bello Stadium in Kaduna.
The Volyn Lutsk player, who was part of the senior national team to the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil, believes that the players invited for the encounter are battle ready for the Super Eagles first outing in the qualifier. Speaking from the team’s hotel in Kaduna, the Nigeria International says beating Chad is not negotiable in the Saturday’s match.
“We are all here to play for our country and not playing alone but to win so that we can start the 2017 qualifying matches well”, says the Super Eagles star. “It is important we win all our matches and we are going to work towards it. It is quite possible because we are all ready to give our best to make sure we win.
Meanwhile, the Super Eagles who arrived in Kaduna on Sunday will be hoping to win the first match in the qualifying series so that the confidence to win the remaining matches can be boosted.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/b abatunde-were-ready-for-chad/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 2:37pm On Jun 11, 2015
Keshi: Support Key to Eagles Success Against Chad.
Super Eagles coach, Stephen Keshi has called on Nigerians to support the senior national team as they begin their 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers this weekend in Kaduna.
The Super Eagles who won the 2013 edition of the African showpiece in South Africa, will host Chad this weekend and the Big Boss says he is confident that his players will not fail to make Nigerians happy, saying the he has forgotten the past while focusing on what he intends to achieve in the 2017 edition.
“We need support from every Nigerian and we all need to forget the past and focus on what we want to achieve in the 2017 edition”, begins the coach.
“For me, support is key because the players are here and ready to give their best. Playing at the 2017 AFCON is a priority and we must work really hard for it” insists Keshi.
The former Togo National team, handler who spoke with Complete Sports, said they have also learnt from past experience and will not allow anything to distract the team’s focus.
“Football changes every day and all teams try to learn, so for us to win every game we are going to play, we must not underrate any team and we must work hard for every point” he concludes.
Meanwhile, after the Chad match, the Super Eagles will play Tanzania in their next game and Keshi believes that he has the team that can win the two matches.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/k eshi-support-key-to-eagles- success-against-chad/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 2:51pm On Jun 11, 2015
Eagles No Longer Menacing, says Bonfrere.
As the Super Eagles get set to play Chad in the 2017 Afcon qualifiers, a former coach has his say on the current state of the Nigerian men's senior national team.
"I find it very sad that teams are not afraid to play Nigeria again." Those were the first words of former Super Eagles coach, Jo Bonfere, when he met with supersport.com briefly at the departure lounge at the Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport.
"I don't buy that story that there are not enough talented players for the current coach to work with. The job of a national team coach is to harness the talents at his disposal and make them cohesive and functional to win matches," the Atlanta Olympic gold-winning coach continued.
His love for Nigerian football is so clear even though he had many bad stories of his time there. "Jim (Nwobodo) was incredibly difficult to work with because he did not understand what the job of the coach was and how modern sports administration was really about," he says of the then sports minister. "He was the only reason I left after the Olympics of 1996. I wanted to stay and work with the players because I had a good working relationship with them and some at the federation."
He clearly never got along with Nwobodo. "In Atlanta, before the final with Argentina I had been owed two months salaries so I went to the minister and Sani Toro and told them if I don't get my full salary I won't be on the bench for the final." You did not?! "Yes I did and I meant it. So the night before the match they paid me in full - cash. Too much happens behind the scenes in Nigerian football," Bonfrere says smiling.
He clearly still keeps an eye out on Nigerian players in Europe. So I asked him if he travelled a lot to watch Nigerian players when he was in charge. "I spent a lot of my money going everywhere that Nigerian players played in Europe. I had to watch them. It is absolutely vital that you watch them at their clubs. At the moment, there is a Nigerian striker at Cambuur (Bartholomew Ogbeche) and a young defender at SC Heerenveen (Kenneth Otigba) who I have noted and a few others," he said. The sparkle in his eyes as he spoke about these players and his ideas was something.
Not stopping there, he left his best for the last "the biggest problem with Nigerian football at the moment is corruption at all levels of the national teams. I know it happened before and is still happening now where players or their agents pay to get into the team." Excuse me? "Listen," he says looking me in the eyes squarely. "I am the only man to have coached Nigeria who never sold or be involved in the sale of one player!" Ok...? "Yes, a lot of the coaches are involved in it even to this present time. I used to give money to some players who said they were going on trials instead." Fascinating stuff.
Will Jo Bonfrere like to coach Nigeria again. "Yes but maybe with a younger local or foreign assistant who shares the same vision of attacking football so we can get the continent at least, back to being afraid of playing against the Super Eagles again."
mobi.supersport.com/football /super-eagles/news/150611 /Eagles_no_longer_menacing_says_B onfrere

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by AIG07: 4:21pm On Jun 11, 2015
Hmmmm. D FLYING EAGLES ARE OUT-U-20 WORLD CUP IS FINISHED 4 NIGERIANS. D best thing now is AFCON qualifier. Super eagles here I come pls don't mess up. Hope I'm welcome forumites
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Nobody: 5:09pm On Jun 11, 2015
Nigeria continued their intensive training for this weekend's opening 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying game against Chad at the Ahmadu Bello Stadium in Kaduna on Wednesday.

Men selling traditional ‘riga’ dress with local ‘hula’ hats welcome visitors straight into the airport lounge and the hot air strikes as one drives into the city centre through a line up of petrol trucks hugging the road on every side. One of the few Nigerian states to have banned the use of motorcycles for commercial transportation - tricycles now jostle for right of way with their four-legged counterparts.

Honking cars, blaring music from roadside record stores and one easily forgets the hustle of Lagos as this northern city receives one for the next few days leading to the game.

Kaduna is where the Super Eagles will play against Chad on Friday, as they begin the journey to qualify for the 2017 tournament in Gabon after failing to reach Equatorial Guinea in January to defend their title from Johannesburg two years ago.

After that heart break suffered inside the new ultra-modern stadium in Uyo as South Africa halted the Eagles, Stephen Keshi returns to the side with renewed vigour.

Perhaps in order to banish the memories of that failure, the Nigeria Football Federation has uprooted the team once again, this time hoping that Kaduna would bring them better fortune.

As the team trained on Wednesday evening, watched by hundreds of fans in the stands, it was obvious that one of their own was absent from the pitch.

Ahmed Musa, a son of the North and World Cup hero, was conspicuously missing as Keshi drilled the boys in attacking lay up play.

The CSKA Moscow forward also missed Tuesday’s training, one fan told this writer. It seemed the locals are truly worried.

“He is dehydrated and was asked to stay back at the hotel,” media officer Toyin Ibitoye told Goal.

The medical team is expected to pass him fit before their final work out on Friday.

Defender Leon Balogun also sat out training after picking up a knock during Tuesday’s closed-door match with local league side Kaduna United.

The Super Eagles won that game 4-0.

On the pitch, Keshi led his team to work on lay up play as everyone took turns at shooting on goal.

Vincent Enyeama led his understudy Daniel Akpeyi as they worked at keeping out the shots from the players.

It was a hard time for the crowd to watch as Aaron Samuel shot wide of goal severally but they quickly rewarded Rabiu Ibrahim with applause when he cheekily chipped over an onrushing goalkeeper.

Tickets go on sale on Thursday as Kaduna fans look forward to see Keshi’s new look team without familiar names like John Obi Mikel, Emmanuel Emenike, Brown Ideye, Elderson Echiejile, Victor Moses and Efe Ambrose.

Expected to lead the attack is Watford striker Odion Ighalo who scored 20 goals in the just concluded season to lead his side to promotion while AS Trencin’s Ibrahim would hope to revive his career after injury curtailed his progress after so much promise in the youth teams.

Midfielder Ogenyi Onazi continues to show leadership and would look to fill the gap left by Mikel as John Ogu returns to the side after a not too shabby season in Israel.

The pair of Godfrey Oboabona and Kenneth Omeruo also looked sharp in training and would look to reprise their successful defensive combination that led the team to success in 2013.

The team will keep an eye on the other Group G game in Cairo as Egypt take on Tanzania.

With clouds gathering over the city pregnant with rain, Kaduna fans would hope that Keshi’s new reign begins with victory and a lot of goals on Saturday evening.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 5:17pm On Jun 12, 2015
AIG07:
Hmmmm. D FLYING EAGLES ARE OUT-U-20 WORLD CUP IS FINISHED 4 NIGERIANS. D best thing now is AFCON qualifier. Super eagles here I come pls don't mess up. Hope I'm welcome forumites
AIG07 first of all you are most welcome to this house. 'This house belongs to nobody but is also owned by everybody'
everybody has the sole right to post in here. Once again you re welcome. Let the games begin.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 5:46pm On Jun 12, 2015
Nigeria Vs Chad: NFF Defends Kaduna Choice.

The Nigeria Football Federation has reiterated that it will continue to use Kaduna as a venue for matches of the national teams, insisting that the city has always been a good hunting ground and praising the good people of the state for their love for the game.
Super Eagles captain Vincent Enyeama was said to have expressed reservations about the Northern city due to security concerns, but the NFF insists there is nothing to worry about.
The NFF wrote in press release made available to comple tesportsnigeria.com: “In his message to the people of Kaduna to come out en masse to support the Super Eagles in a 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Chad at the Ahmadu Bello Stadium on Saturday, NFF President Amaju Pinnick dismissed apprehension in some quarters…as unwarranted.
“Kaduna State has always been a perfect ground for all National Teams, and a city in love with football. We are excited anytime we bring a match of the National Team to Kaduna, because we are always sure of massive support for our team.
“I have wonderful memories of the city of Kaduna, right from when the city hosted the National Sports Festival. The U-17 National Team, U-20 National Team, Super Falcons and Super Eagles have played in Kaduna before, with excellent results and happy memories of total support during their games.”
The NFF President called on the people of Kaduna and environs to throng the Ahmadu Bello Stadium on Saturday to back the Super Eagles.
“We are calling on the fans to come out in their thousands as they usually do, and also to come to the stadium wearing green attire.
“We are trying to build a culture of supporting our National Teams in a unique way and we want the fans to key into it.”
The Super Falcons have beaten Zambia, Cote d’Ivoire and Burkina Faso in matches played at the Ahmadu Bello Stadium within the last three-and-half years.
The Governor of Kaduna State, Mallam Nasir el-Rufai, will be personally present at the Ahmadu Bello Stadium as chief host at Saturday’s game.
The delegation of Chad, which arrived in Nigeria on Thursday night, is already in Kaduna for the game.
newsng.com/nigeria-news/2015/06/nigeria-vs-chad-nff-defends-kaduna-choice/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 5:50pm On Jun 12, 2015
Musa: I’m Fit For Chad.

Super Eagles striker Ahmed Musa has declared that he is fit and ready to wreck havoc when Nigeria host Chad in Saturday’s 2017 African Cup of Nations qualifier in Kaduna.
The CSKA Moscow of Russia star, who could not take part in the team’s training on Wednesday, returned to action on Thursday and told Complete Sports that he was ready to take active role in the match.
“I am very okay now even better than i was when i came to camp. I could not take part in Wednesday’s training but i am perfectly okay now and ready to do my best. I have been looking forward to the match and i am happy that i will take active role in it.”
Musa said Musa has however predicted that Nigeria will qualify for the 2017 African Cup of Nations in Gabon while urging his teammates to work hard in the task ahead.
“We must all do our best because Nigerians are waiting to see us qualifying the country for the Nations Cup and we must not disappoint them”, he said.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/musa-im-fit-for-chad/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 5:54pm On Jun 12, 2015
Chad in kit Dilemma for Nigeria Clash.
The Chadian men's national team, Les Sao, landed in the Nigerian capital, Abuja, on Friday for Saturday's Afcon qualifier with the Super Eagleswithout their kits and equipment.
Chad head coach Emmanuel Tregoat now fear that the incident could hamper their training programme ahead of the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying match against Nigeria at the Ahmadu Bello Stadium in Kaduna.
Les Sao breezed into Nigeria from France but the airline with which they flew into the West African nation failed to check in their training and match day kit and equipment.
Tregoat said the players are distracted by the absence of their kit.
A distraught Tregoat told Brila FM on arrival: "All the players are tired, there are no clothes. Football is not very important for us now, some players are afraid we are already in Nigeria and without our jerseys. All we have is trousers, we don't have money to buy other clothes."
The Chadians are now hoping to take delivery of their match day kit and equipment later on Friday barring any hitch.
Chad and Nigeria are drawn in Group G of the Afcon qualification alongside Egypt and Tanzania.
mobi.supersport.com/football/africa-cup-of-nations/news/150612/Chad_in_kit_dilemma_for_Nigeria_clash

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by seankafor(m): 6:13pm On Jun 12, 2015
please whats the time of the game?
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 6:14pm On Jun 12, 2015
Ogu Wants 'Super' Start.
Super Eagles midfielder John Ogu wants the team to start the 2017 Africa Nations campaign on a good note and maintain the momentum in subsequent matches so as to avoid the pitfalls of the last qualifying series which culminated to Nigeria missing out on Equatorial Guinea 2015.
Nigeria lost her opening game of the 2015 Afcon qualifiers 3-2 to Congo at the UJ Esuene Stadium in Calabar, a result which the Super Eagles failed to recover from as the team crashed out of the qualifiers after another draw with South Africa in the last group game.
The Hapoel Be’er Sheva player feels the best way to avoid a recurrence is to start on a positive note and send it a statement to other countries in the group.
“I don’t want to dwell in the past, but it has to be used to look at the future,” Ogu said.
“We have to start the qualifiers with a strong statement against Chad. We don’t have a choice, we have to make Nigerians happy again.”he added.
Nigeria are in Group G of the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers alongside Egypt, Tanzania and Chad.
Ogu, who is coming off a decent season with Hapoel Be’er Sheva where he played 40 matches in all competitions scoring fours goals doesn’t want to bother with what is ahead but will rather concentrate on the Chad game.
“Yes, I’m aware of the teams but I won’t bother with that yet. We are focused on the Chad game and we will take one game after the other,”the 26 year old said.
“All the teams in the group will be tough. We will treat all games the same way. Our main focus now is to handle Chad and then move on to the next one.
“The boys (Eagles) are ready for the game. Camp has been good and wonderful and we are rearing to go.”he added.
The Super Eagles begin their quest for a spot at the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations in Gabon with game against Chad at the Ahmadu Bello Stadium in Kaduna on Saturday.
mobi.supersport.com/football/super-eagles/news/150612/Ogu_wants_super_start

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 6:36pm On Jun 12, 2015
Imenger Wants Good Start for Eagles.
Former Nigerian international, Barnabas Imenger, has charged the Super Eagles to ensure Saturday’s Afcon 2017 qualifier against Chad begins on a good note.
The Eagles begin their quest to return to the Africa Cup of Nations with a home match against Chad, at the Ahmadu Bello Stadium, Kaduna.
“I expect the Eagles to avoid mistakes of the past that led to our failure to qualify for the last Afcon and start well in Kaduna.
“There are no minnows in football anymore, so they shouldn’t underrate Chad. It’s a match that the old and new players must take seriously,” he told supersport.com.
Teams in Group G include Nigeria, Chad, Tanzania and Egypt.
Nigeria missed the 2015 Afcon in Equatorial Guinea after losing at home to Congo and sharing points with South Africa, also at home.
The winners of the 13 groups and two best overall runners-up qualify for the tournament.
mobi.supersport.com/football/super-eagles/news/150612/Imenger_wants_good_start_for_Eagles

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (161) (Reply)

Difference Btw Handicap 0:1 And Handicap 1:0 / Official NPFL Thread. (nigerian Professional Football League) / Are World Wrestling Entertainment Fights Real or Just Acting?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.