Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,292 members, 7,818,990 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:37 AM

Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. - Sports (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (248879 Views)

Nigeria Vs South Africa 2019 AFCON Qualifiers: 0 - 2 (Full Time) / Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (161) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 1:20pm On Jun 21, 2015
BascoVanVeli:
So NFF wan use style make Onazi pay Njoku's fine na wa o how his red card come take concern them

The way this NFF is going about this discipline of a thing, am just so scared that it might scare some players away from Super Eagles.
Was it not the same NFF that accused Keshi of strained relationship with is players because of discipline?
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 1:32pm On Jun 21, 2015
Tanzania Sack Head Coach Martin Ignatius.
The Tanzanian Football Federation have confirmed they have dismissed the Dutchman after becoming frustrated by his poor results.
By Shina Oludare
Coach Martin Ignatius has been fired as head coach of the Tanzanian national team. The Taifa Stars has lost their last two international games under the Dutchman’s stewardship, with their 3-0 home defeat to Uganda in a CHAN 2016 qualifier their latest.
Last Sunday's 3-0 defeat away at Egypt in an Africa Cup of Nations qualifier proved to be the straw that broke the Camel’s hunch, after they had lost all their games at the Cosafa Cup - with the 61-year-old now officially relieved of his duties with his back room staff.
Tanzanian Football Federation president Jamal Malinzi released a statement that the coach popularly known as ‘Mart Nooij’ ceases to be the handler of the Taifa with immediate effect.
“TFF announces the termination of employment of current coach Mart Nooij together with his entire technical bench with immediate effect following the spate of poor results involving the national team Taifa Stars,” the statement read.
Nigeria travel to the east African nation for their next game of the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers.
m.goal.com/x/en-ng/news/12925602

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 8:39pm On Jun 21, 2015
Ejide: Eagles Won’t Be Under Pressure In Tanzania.

Nigeria goalkeeper, Austin Ejide believes the Super Eagles will qualify for the 2017 African Cup of Nations slated for Gabon. He also disclosed in this interview by SAB OSUJI that the players will put above 120% in every game to ensure qualification. Excerpts…
Austin, it must have been a hectic season for you in Israel. How will you describe the season just ended?
I'll say it was not a bad one for us at Hapoel Be'er Sheva, at least we have a chance to go back to Europe through the Europa League. We wanted to get much better than the previous season but all the same, we have to give God the glory that we were not entirely left empty handed.
You must have enjoyed the comradeship of your fellow Nigerians there, talking about the likes of John Ogu who is your teammate at Be'er Sheva and Nosa Igiebor and Kayode Olanrewaju.
Yeah, we are Nigerians and we usually talk to each other, we also play in the Nigeria national team and I must say we enjoy the support and companionship of each other. Despite the fact that some of us are in different clubs, we make it a point to talk to one another. John Ogu is in the same club with me, we are more or less like brothers from the same mother and we enjoy each other's company. You don't expect anything less, given the fact we play in the Super Eagles together and also here in Israel, we also play in same club.
Austin, there have been speculations you may not be part of your club, Hapoel Be'er Sheva's plans in the coming 2015/2016 season….
(Cuts in) So many things have been insinuated but the truth is that I signed for a three year contract when I joined them. The three years are now over, and I can look back and say I put in my best for them and they know that. They know what I offered and my contribution to get the club to where they are now. I must also be happy that I was part of them and gave them my all. Truth is that contracts are reviewed upwards and I have tabled my demands and it is left for them to accept or not. But as the situation stands now, my agent is on top of things. If they discuss well, fine, but if not one has to look elsewhere.
There are reports Be'er Sheva don't seem well disposed to giving you a new contract because they want an Israeli in order to balance their foreign and indigenous quota?
I have enjoyed my stay here in Israel since I came some years ago. I've as well enjoyed every bit of my playing for Hapoel Be'er Sheva, quota or no quota. They have been nice to me, the fans have shown plenty of love to me, the supporters and people there are wonderful and I really appreciate them. But you see, there are times when you stay to the point that you are now seen as an indigene. That means your tax begins to go up and all of that. And of course, you know what I'm talking about.
So, where will Austin Ejide's fans look to seeing him play this coming 2015/2016 season?
We are still on off season, but who knows, if God says Be'er Sheva, fine and good, but if He says elsewhere, that's okay by me. I want to leave everything in the hands of God and my agent is working on that too.
Let's talk about the Super Eagles and the 2017 AFCON qualifiers. Nigeria defeated Chad 2-0 last weekend in Kaduna, what are your thoughts on that?
That's the way to begin,I really commend the players, the coaches, fans and even the NFF for that. Nothing is more important than winning your first game in qualifiers like these. All of us saw what happened last year when we did not qualify. So it's nice, starting on a winning note this time around and I commend the team.
Some would argue Chad was not the kind of team to stretch a team as big as Super Eagles.
I don't agree with that, no team is cheap these days, every country raise their games especially whenever they are playing against the Super Eagles of Nigeria, so it is important we come out strong, with the desire and mentality to win and that was what the guys did and I commend them for that.
To be continued in the next post....
www.completesportsnigeria.com/ejide-eagles-wont-be-under-pressure-in-tanzania/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 8:43pm On Jun 21, 2015
Tanzania/Nigeria: 2017 Nations Cup - 'No Plans for Tanzania Yet'
By Peter Edema
Lagos — Super Eagles technical crew has not make plans towards successfully prosecuting the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying match against Tanzania in Dare Salam on September 6, 2015.
The match is the second in the team's qualifying series for the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations.
Nigeria with three points like Egypt places second behind the Pharaohs in group G courtesy of its inferior goals difference. While Egypt beat Tanzania 3-0 last Sunday in Cairo, Nigeria beat Chad 2-0 a day earlier in Kaduna.
However, sources close to the team revealed on Friday that Super Eagles Head Coach, Stephen Keshi, had not discussed with his assistants strategies on how to prosecute the away match.
Even worse, the technical crew has yet to discuss on who would replace Ogenyi Onazi, who is serving a two match ban courtesy of straight red card shown him by the referee that officiated the qualifying match between Nigeria and Chad in Kaduna last Saturday.
"The coaches have not discussed plans for the match. The issue of who replaces Onazi has also not been mentioned," said the source, which pleaded anonymity.
It was also learnt that the technical crew is not thinking of inviting Mikel Obi because of the uncertainty surrounding his status at Chelsea.
"No one knows the status of the player for now, whether he will leave Chelsea or not. It is only the player that knows. Until his future is determined, no one can say anything."
Meanwhile, the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has stripped Keshi, the sole authority on the invitation of players for the Super Eagles.
NFF President, Amaju Pinnick, who confirmed this, said that Keshi would no longer make autonomous decision as it concerns selection of players for Super Eagles' international games.
Keshi was queried by the NFF after the Chad game on why a non-league player, Gabriel Okechukwu, made the team and for handling him the No. 10 jersey.
Pinnick informed that the Technical Director, Amodu Shuiabu, would now supervise Keshi on players alongside the technical study group headed by former Super Eagles captain, Austin Okocha.
"Keshi will still have his input. He (Keshi) doesn't have the liberty anymore to say he wants to bring in players from places," said Pinnick.
"We must look at all the players [Keshi invites] and it must go through the technical department and Amodu [Shaibu] will certainly make a comment.
And like I told [Amodu], if anything happens we are not going to hold Keshi responsible but him because [he is] a part of it."
allafrica.com/stories/201506210160.html?viewall=1
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 8:49pm On Jun 21, 2015
Continue from the last post....
Do you think this Super Eagles team can make it to the 2017 AFCON, given the many new faces that Stephen Keshi paraded against Chad?
Let me put it this way; the Super Eagles don't have any reason not to qualify for the 2017 AFCON. We have the players with the right mentality to do the job. We missed it last time and cannot afford not to be in Gabon in 2017. We have learnt our lessons, through the hard and bitter way. The players felt bad that after winning the Nations Cup in the previous edition, we could not go to Equatorial Guinea to defend our African title. So this time around, every player has in his mind the desire to put 120% effort to ensure qualification. All the new players you talked about, are they not Nigerians? Are they not professionals? Nigeria is blessed with so many talents and the coach has the right to dip his hands and select, so we have to back the players and coach with support and prayers for us to make it to Gabon in 2017.
You were not selected for the match, that is the second time in a row that you were left out.
Yes, I was not invited when we played South Africa in a friendly. I was not also invited for the Chad game. Don't forget Nigeria has many talents and the coach can select those he needs for a particular game, so I'm not worried. As a professional and patriotic Nigerian, I have to support the team whether I'm there or not and wish and pray for them to win because those players selected are there to win and bring smiles to the faces of Nigerians.
If Chad could stretch the Super Eagles to a scoreless first half, how much of a challenge do you expect from Tanzania, who are our next opponents given the fact that the match will hold in Dar es Salam, Tanzania?
I want to say that beating Tanzania on their ground will not be impossible because the hosts will be the ones to be under pressure. You know that they lost their first game (3-0) to Egypt, so hosting the Super Eagles will put them under pressure from their home fans who will want them to win. So the Eagles will cash in on this to get the result we want, once the Eagles get the first goal, it will be difficult for the Tanzanians.
What are your thoughts on Flying Eagles ouster in the round of 16 of the just concluded FIFA U-20 World Cup in New Zealand?
I thought the team would have gone beyond the round of 16. They played wonderful football after the Brazil defeat on the opening day of the group games, that one thought they would have gone beyond Germany but that's football for you. However, I am happy the team produced some wonderful talents who can do well for the country in the next level.
The Super Falcons also crashed out in the group stage of the Women's World Cup too, after holding so much promise.
Yes, one had expected them to qualify after the 3-3 draw with Sweden in the first game, but losing 2-0 to Australia was not the best because it damped the morale of the girls. I was impressed with their performance against USA even though they lost 1-0. Hopefully, in subsequent championships, they will excel because they have shown they are bridging the gap with the top countries in women's football.
It's been nice talking with you Austin, all the best to you.
Thanks, you are welcome.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/ejide-eagles-wont-be-under-pressure-in-tanzania/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 8:55pm On Jun 21, 2015
Keshi: I’m Not Interested In Cote d’Ivoire Job.

—Insists He's Happy With Eagles
By Johnny Edward
Super Eagles coach Stephen Keshi has denied applying for the vacant Cote d'Ivoire job.
The former Togo coach was said to have been one of the coaches lobbying to replace Herve Renard, who quit the Elephants post to become Lille manager.
But Keshi told completesportsnigeria.com exclusively that his agent might have sent his (Keshi's) profile ahead before he was confirmed as coach of the Super Eagles two months ago.
"That report that I want the Cote d'Ivoire job is misleading," Keshi said on Saturday from Owerri where he attended Emmanuel Emenike's father's final burial.
"Why should I apply elsewhere when I have a job?"
Keshi added that he is happy being coach of Nigeria and will not dump the Super Eagles for the Elephants.
"Maybe my agent sent my profile way ahead but for Christ sake I have a job and I’m happy here," he told Completesportsnigeria.com from Owerri.
The former Mali boss was also unfazed by Egypt's 3-0 win over Tanzania adding that his team will approach each game differently.
"We started on a winning note and that is how we want to continue.
Egypt won as well but we don't meet until next year so we are focused on our next game which is against Tanzania."
www.completesportsnigeria.com/keshi-im-not-after-cote-divoire-job/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:01pm On Jun 21, 2015
The Eagles, the Falcons and Matters Arising!
Flying Eagles coach, Manu Garba Last weekend the Nigerian sports scene was very busy.
The Super Eagles played their first match since Stephen Keshi was re-hired as coach of the national team a few weeks ago.
The Flying Eagles were in action and lost their last match against Germany at the FIFA Under-20 World Youth championship.
The Falcons lost their last group match and exited the ongoing FIFA Women’s World Cup championship!
Finally, I visited Ilorin, Kwara State, to watch a few games in the now concluded Zenith Bank national female basketball league for phase two of a three-part championship to determine the champion club of the 2015 season!
There are several matters arising from all four events!
First, the Super Eagles. They played against Chad Republic and won 2-0. The match was played at the famous Ahmadu Bello Stadium, Kaduna. I watched it on television.
Those who know me would not be surprised that I am surprised that the match was taken to Kaduna in the first place, and that since then the NFF have announced that the stadium would host future matches because of the fans that trooped out to support the team to win!
It has also since been reported that one of the key players in the Nigerian team, goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama, was issued a written query (which he reportedly tore up in anger) because he dared to question the rationale for taking the match to Kaduna!
I love the city of Kaduna. I love the idea of taking such high profile matches to venues around the country to enable the fans of the game to experience and interact with their beloved national team.
My only concern with this noble venture is that in selecting a suitable venue the NFF must consider the small details that could make or mar the team’s chances of winning or losing. In football, as in most sports, the difference between winning and losing lies in the attention paid to the small but critical details.
Since the declaration by the NFF that Kaduna would continue to host national team matches I have only read one reaction that resonates with me as representing the voice of caution and knowledge.
Sone Aluko, a Super Eagle that did not play the match but watched from the bench, declared that the team did not play to its full ability because of the poor state of the Ahmadu Bello Stadium turf! He could have been talking to the deaf.
Unfortunately, his observation is dead right even if only a few would appreciate it. It is also unlikely that the football administrators would do anything about it!
There should be some rules that must never be breached in the selection of a suitable venue for the senior national team, in particular. The first rule should be that the team must never play on artificial turf. The second is that the team must never play on a poorly grassed field, one that is sandy or undulating!
Unfortunately, the Ahmadu Bello Stadium turf falls into the second category. It is just not good enough, and adversely affected how the Eagles played last Saturday! To better appreciate this view, watch any Barclays Premier league match, or any match played anywhere in Europe for that matter, and compare with what we saw in Kaduna!
The undulating nature of the Kaduna turf field affected the efficiency of the players and reduced the quality of their performance significantly. They were lucky this time because Chad Republic do not belong in the same league as the Super Eagles. With a better team the effect of the bad turf would be enhanced. Nigeria had once lost a last critical World Cup qualifying match for not taking such small details into consideration in selecting a venue for national team matches.
It was also reported that Coach Stephen Keshi was happy with the performance of the new Eagles and promised that the team would take Nigeria once again to the top of African football. Beyond the poor turf, with what I saw of his new look Super Eagles, I am still very reluctant to share his optimism!
The Flying Eagles.
Going to Venezuela for the FIFA Under-20 World Youth championship Nigeria went with the bulk of the all-conquering FIFA Under-17 World Champions of 2012.
The team played with supreme confidence but have exited the championship in the first round. Why? The administrators failed to appreciate that playing at a higher age grade level is a totally different ball game.
Using the same coach that succeeded at Under-17 at this higher level is a wrong strategy. Coaching at both levels is completely different and requires a totally different set of dynamics. Whereas players grow and mature through age grades, coaches learn and eventually master a specific area or age-grade.
As a result of not adhering to this basic understanding Nigeria did not win a single match!
To be continued in the next post...

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:12pm On Jun 21, 2015
Continue from the last post...
The Falcons
Nigeria’s Falcons, the female national team, went to the ongoing FIFA Women’s World Cup as a respected and difficult opponent.
They did not disappoint - they were difficult to play against, stronger, faster and fitter than all the opponents they met. Unfortunately, they lacked the technical competence at the highest level to enable them deal with opponents that are organized in their tactics and strategy.
Technical deficiency is the bane of Nigerian football. It is the absence of this small ingredient that holds Nigeria back from breaking into the topmost level of global football.
The results from Kaduna, Venezuela, and Canada are all pointers to what are wrong and what needs to be done to take Nigeria to the highest levels in football.
Zenith Basketball league
I visited Ilorin last week. I like the town. It holds great memories for me of my football playing days.
The last time I visited was several years ago when I went to look at the great work going on then with the Kwara State Football Academy project inside the Ilorin Township stadium, a first-class sports complex with an environment and facilities reputed to be some of the best in the country.
When I arrived the city I drove straight to the stadium complex where the Zenith national female basketball league championship was going on.
The entire stadium complete is now a shadow of its old self, unkempt, under-utilized and ugly. You could almost hear the groaning of the stadium everywhere you turned - in the walls, on the fields, around the courts, the environment, everywhere. Everything was in an advanced stage of decay!
I drove in pain to the Indoor Sports hall situated next to the football arena.
It is simply unbelievable that anybody, particularly any government, would watch this architectural masterpiece degrade and degenerate and do nothing about it. What I saw is an embarrassment and a monumental disgrace.
www.dailytrust.com.ng/weekly/index.php/sports/20852-the-eagles-the-falcons-and-matters-arising

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:54am On Jun 22, 2015
Failure Sttributes of Nigerian Coaches.
By: Aderonke Ogunleye-Belloon

Poor coaching is fiercely attacking football growth in Nigeria.
The country is blessed with abundant untapped, raw and crude football talent which are yet to be refined into good article due to the cluelessness that afflicts majority of the local coaches.
Football coaching, as we all know, has gone scientific and much education is required to keep up with the pace with which global football coaching is moving. I think every player should engage in some self-help by taking some time out and learning their art.
Practically, the Flying Eagles early exit from the 2015 FIFA U-20 World Cup got a lot of people angry. But looking inward, you cannot help but fault the entire technical crew, as the talent in the team was obvious. People always raise their games against the champion and you cannot be successful all the time, but there is much more than winning laurels in coaching with sound technicality and ingenuity.
Nigeria has only graded 400 CAF ‘C’ licensed coaches, Ghana with lower population has graded more than 2, 000 and Egypt more than 8, 000. But Nigeria has fallen far short for no apparent reason, even though the country is replete with many intelligent coaches across board.
Nevertheless, our coaches too should train themselves since it is their profession.
Falcons Coach, Edwin Okon, is the depiction of a typical Nigerian coach. Without any foreign experience, he took the team to the World Cup in Canada. Those who watched the Falcons’ game against Sweden would attest that Okon should have won easily. But he did not use the fresh attackers who sat on the bench all through, for reasons best known to him. While other attackers laboured, the substitution never came. No one needs to be a coach to apply this common sense. Charisma and simple courteous attitude matter a lot in the career of a coach. Passionate coaching without man-management is tantamount to monumental failure.
Their major problems include, but not limited to, selection problems, inability to study opponents, inability to make the right substitutions during competitive games and inflexibility of their mindset in making adjustments as games progress. Often times they find it hard to give clear directives with regard to what a player is expected to do on the field of play.
Some coaches have allegedly taken bribes from football agents to inject the players the agents want to sell into the team. Some coaches also allegedly introduce players to agents and force players to sign for their agents. The malaise should stop or better talent will wait in vain to get their chance to play in the national teams.
As a coach, Stephen Keshi won the AFCON trophy in 2013. But he made the success look like a fluke when Nigeria failed to defend the title this year. He practically disintegrated the same team that he built less than 24 months ago to start re-building all over again.
We have had enough abuse of the words “going back to the drawing board” as there is no drawing board anywhere. Rather, coaches must draw themselves to be useful.
Sentiments should be taken out of selection processes. ‘This one no call me or greet me when my wife born, I no go carry am for my team,’ is literally a regular feature in coaches’ behavior to players and it is certainly bad for football.
By and large, the country is not deficient in talent but deficient in technically experienced coaches. In truth, players can attain success and then become unruly. But it is the duty of the coach to curb the player or find a better alternative among the pool of talent at his disposal.
A coach loses it the moment he/she cannot manage the ego of his/her players.
The League Management Company should ensure that all head coaches of football clubs are CAF-licensed in accordance with the LMC statutes. Only then can the players be guaranteed of quality coaching.
Administrators also take the blame for the coaches’ falling in standards. It is undeniable that the Pinnick Amaju-led NFF recently took some local coaches to England for Capacity Training. As much as this effort is commendable, it is still not enough. The NFF should provide the enabling atmosphere and resources to ensure coaches get the necessary badges as there is no shortcut to coaching. It is expedient on the NFF to help get FIFA-badged coaches to join the technical crews of teams in the domestic football.
To be continued in the next post...
nationalmirroronline.net/new/failure-attributes-of-nigerian-coaches/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:03am On Jun 22, 2015
Failure Attributes of Nigerian Coaches.
By: Aderonke Ogunleye-Belloon.
Poor coaching is fiercely attacking football growth in Nigeria.
The country is blessed with abundant untapped, raw and crude football talent which are yet to be refined into good article due to the cluelessness that afflicts majority of the local coaches.
Football coaching, as we all know, has gone scientific and much education is required to keep up with the pace with which global football coaching is moving. I think every player should engage in some self-help by taking some time out and learning their art.
Practically, the Flying Eagles early exit from the 2015 FIFA U-20 World Cup got a lot of people angry. But looking inward, you cannot help but fault the entire technical crew, as the talent in the team was obvious. People always raise their games against the champion and you cannot be successful all the time, but there is much more than winning laurels in coaching with sound technicality and ingenuity.
Nigeria has only graded 400 CAF ‘C’ licensed coaches, Ghana with lower population has graded more than 2, 000 and Egypt more than 8, 000. But Nigeria has fallen far short for no apparent reason, even though the country is replete with many intelligent coaches across board.
Nevertheless, our coaches too should train themselves since it is their profession.
Falcons Coach, Edwin Okon, is the depiction of a typical Nigerian coach. Without any foreign experience, he took the team to the World Cup in Canada. Those who watched the Falcons’ game against Sweden would attest that Okon should have won easily. But he did not use the fresh attackers who sat on the bench all through, for reasons best known to him. While other attackers laboured, the substitution never came. No one needs to be a coach to apply this common sense. Charisma and simple courteous attitude matter a lot in the career of a coach. Passionate coaching without man-management is tantamount to monumental failure.
Their major problems include, but not limited to, selection problems, inability to study opponents, inability to make the right substitutions during competitive games and inflexibility of their mindset in making adjustments as games progress. Often times they find it hard to give clear directives with regard to what a player is expected to do on the field of play.
Some coaches have allegedly taken bribes from football agents to inject the players the agents want to sell into the team. Some coaches also allegedly introduce players to agents and force players to sign for their agents. The malaise should stop or better talent will wait in vain to get their chance to play in the national teams.
As a coach, Stephen Keshi won the AFCON trophy in 2013. But he made the success look like a fluke when Nigeria failed to defend the title this year. He practically disintegrated the same team that he built less than 24 months ago to start re-building all over again.
We have had enough abuse of the words “going back to the drawing board” as there is no drawing board anywhere. Rather, coaches must draw themselves to be useful.
Sentiments should be taken out of selection processes. ‘This one no call me or greet me when my wife born, I no go carry am for my team,’ is literally a regular feature in coaches’ behavior to players and it is certainly bad for football.
By and large, the country is not deficient in talent but deficient in technically experienced coaches. In truth, players can attain success and then become unruly. But it is the duty of the coach to curb the player or find a better alternative among the pool of talent at his disposal.
A coach loses it the moment he/she cannot manage the ego of his/her players.
The League Management Company should ensure that all head coaches of football clubs are CAF-licensed in accordance with the LMC statutes. Only then can the players be guaranteed of quality coaching.
Administrators also take the blame for the coaches’ falling in standards. It is undeniable that the Pinnick Amaju-led NFF recently took some local coaches to England for Capacity Training. As much as this effort is commendable, it is still not enough. The NFF should provide the enabling atmosphere and resources to ensure coaches get the necessary badges as there is no shortcut to coaching. It is expedient on the NFF to help get FIFA-badged coaches to join the technical crews of teams in the domestic football.
nationalmirroronline.net/new/failure-attributes-of-nigerian-coaches/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:17am On Jun 22, 2015
Super Eagles Forward Odion Ighalo Survived Car Crash En route His Home on Saturday Night From Ikeja After Attending a Function.
The Watford striker who came out of the car unhurt however thanked God for saving the life of everybody in the car.
Ighalo explained to Comple tesportsnigeria.com exclusively on Sunday that a wreckless driver who took to a one way lane hit his car and and absconded.
“A (danfo) came out from a one way lane and hit my car and took to his heels.
Thank God no lives were lost,” Ighalo said.
Ighalo who attended a thanksgiving service in his Church on Sunday also donated alms.
“I’m thanking God for my life and I give all glory to God for his protection,” the Watford striker who netted 20 times for club has been linked with Norwich, West Brom and Swanse City.
http://www.completesportsnigeria. com/ighalo-suffers-car-crash- in-lagos/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:30am On Jun 22, 2015
Nigeria is No Longer a Football Power House - Okocha.
Former Super Eagles captain, Austin Okocha, has lamented the declining standards of Nigerian football, insisting the country can no longer be considered a football powerhouse.
Okocha, who was speaking on the poor performance of the Flying Eagles and the Super Falcons at the FIFA Under-20 World Cup and the FIFA Women’s World Cup respectively, told reporters in Lagos on Saturday that the country should develop the sport at the grassroots.
He said, “We should first of all accept the fact that we are struggling at the moment. We need to sacrifice a few years and maybe go back to the grassroots and start from there. I don’t think we will benefit from being stubborn about it, claiming that we are still what we used to be.
“We are paying the price for failing to invest in the grassroots. If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. We just need to speak to ourselves and accept that we are no longer the football powerhouse that we used to be. We should put things in order.”
The former Bolton Wanderers midfielder said the country’s football had been suffering partly because the football authorities had neglected knowledgeable and experienced ex-internationals.
Okocha said, “It’s all about getting us involved. Showing interest and showing respect to some of us. If I may be a bit brutal, I think we are being neglected. As long as we don’t appreciate what we’ve got, we will keep suffering. Except we want to go out there and get foreigners. If we want our people, we should get the right people.”
The Chairman of the Delta State FA added, “There is no need for me to think I know it all. I’ve started from where it is hot, which is the state FA. I’m sacrificing my time and ideas to try and put things in order in the Delta State FA and see if I can grow from there – and maybe one day I can head the technical committee at the national level.”
http://www.punchng.com/sports /nigeria-no-longer-a-football- powerhouse-okocha/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:25am On Jun 22, 2015
Nigeria: Should Mikel Be Dropped From S'eagles?
By Augustine Akhilomen
Lagos — This is not the best of times for Super Eagles midfielder, John Mikel Obi. The player, who has been a regular in the Super Eagles line-up, was overlooked by Coach Stephen Keshi in the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying match against Chad in Kaduna.
This is the first time the player would be dropped in as many years. Though, his commitment to the national team has come under scrutiny several times, the player has always made his way into the national team for the mere fact that he plays for Chelsea.
Even at Chelsea, things are not looking bright for the player, as it seems he is on his way out, as reports have it that he may be heading to Turkey, likely to join Galatasarray.
Is this an indication that the player performance is on the downward trend of the player who has managed just four goals in 64 appearances for the Super Eagles.?
"I don't have problem with Mikel. I spoke with him before I invited his co players for this game (CHAD). We don't need him at this moment. In September we might need his services if he is available," Keshi said when asked why Mikel was overlooked for the Chad game.
It's not only Mikel that was dropped by Keshi. Efe Ambrose, Elderson Echiejele and Emmanuel Emenike were other regulars that Keshi did not invite.
The 2013 Africa Cup of Nations was Mikel's eye-catching moment where his skills, energy and defensive prowess contributed to the team crowned champions of Africa in 2013 in South Africa. No doubt, the former Lyn Oslo star was just in his best element and couldn't be ignored.
But of late, Mikel has not only failed to lift his game, but his commitment to the team has been called to question.
Ex international, Henry Nwosu (MON) believes that Mikel has a place in the team despite his poor attitude to national duty.
"I saw Mikel in 2005 during the FIFA World Youth Championship and I said to myself that this is a great talent for Nigeria and another Henry Nwosu. But after that competition, he joined Chelsea and was not the same Mikel I saw in 2005.
"Mikel is the architect of his own problem because he has failed to up his game like every good player does. No doubt, he's a great player with so much energy and work-rate. However, he hasn't really shown his true potentials in the colours of the Super Eagles.
"Besides, his level of mobility with the ball hasn't been impressive and he should learn to move the ball forward and not backward. In fact, that has also added to his poor goal ratio for both club and country, something which I believe can be corrected if he truly wants to be counted among the best players in the world."
Atlanta Olympic gold medalist, Joseph Dosu, has questioned Mikel Obi's commitment to national call and pointed out that he does not deserve to be in the Super Eagles midfield.
"It is the best thing that Keshi has done since he started coaching Eagles. Keshi knows why he didn't invite Mikel. Mikel could never have played for Nigeria when we played. When you talk about midfield, I wonder which position in the midfield Mikel plays in.
"In our days, Mikel would not even be invited. Mikel does not have the quality to play in my midfield. Mikel can't distribute, entertain or change the direction of the game. I don't see any reason why he should be playing in our midfield."
However, is Keshi's decision to drop Mikel a good one? Will it be idea enough to inject Rabiu Ibrahim or Kelechi Iheanacho into the heart of the midfield in a bid to give the team a new face-lift?
Mikel remains the only player to have maintained a regular shirt in the heart of the Super Eagles midfielder under different coaches.
Former Super Eagles left-full back, Ifeayi Udeze posited that Keshi's decision to drop Mikel shouldn't be questioned.
"He's the Coach, he has his reasons and I don't know why he didn't invite Mikel, though I feel Mikel is supposed to be in the team. But I think he has his reasons which are best known to him.
allafrica.com/stories/201506210188.html?viewall=1
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:32am On Jun 22, 2015
Keshi is Right Choice for Eagles, Says Ujah

*. Agent insists Big Boss to see through contract with NFF
George Okoh in Makurdi
Nigerian international and SV Werder Bremen latest signing and attacker, Anthony Ujah, has described Coach Stephen Keshi as the right choice for the Super Eagles.
Ujah disclosed yesterday in Otukpo that the number of times he was invited to the Super Eagles camp availed him the opportunity to fully know and understand the former Super Eagles captain.
According to him, "as far as I know, Coach Keshi remains invaluable asset to the growth and development of Nigerian football.
"Though some might disagree with my views, but the fact remains that those of us who have had the opportunity of working closely with him, honestly see him as a highly gifted tactician and a detribalised Nigerian.
"One other positive attribute of Coach Keshi is the father-figure role he plays in the lives of his players. In camp, he takes everyone of us as his children and scolds us if we are found wanting.
"Most important is the fact that he gives everyone the platform to prove his capabilities and potentials; and if you are good, he gives you an opportunity to play, he doesn't care if you are a local or foreign-based footballer.
"The truth is that there is always low and high times in everything about life, even the best coaches in the world go through that experience but that will not in any way demean their capabilities to deliver. That is why I urge Nigerians to support his second coming as coach to enable him succeed," concludes Ujah.
Meanwhile, Keshi has said that he remains committed to his job as Super Eagles coach and is ready to see through his contract with the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) despite rumours to the contrary.
Keshi has been linked with the vacant job of Cote d'Ivoire national team and despite being among the short list, his agent, Emmanuel Ado, said his client is happy to lead the Super Eagles.
"Following calls by some journalists that my client Mr. Stephen Keshi and others like Giovanni Trapattoni, Domenech etc have been short listed by the Cote D'Ivoire Football Federation to replace former coach Herve Renard,I will like to make the following statements,” Ado disclosed on his Facebook page.
“My client is very happy with his job as the head coach of the Super Eagles of Nigeria.He has a two- year contract with the Nigeria Football Federation.And as a professional,he will see out his contract.
“My client feels highly honoured to be shortlisted by Cote d'Ivoire - a great footballing country. Like you all know he has a very good relationship with Cote d'Ivoire since his playing days. It is a relationship that he cherishes and would continue to cherish all the days of his life.
“We want to use this opportunity to call on all stakeholders and indeed all Nigerians to deny enemies of peace the chance they are looking for to cause distractions. We don't need these distractions.”
www.thisdaylive.com/articles/keshi-is-right-choice-for-eagles-says-ujah/212801/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:35am On Jun 22, 2015
Nigeria: Keshi Happy to Be Shortlisted for the Elephants Job but ...
Super Eagles boss, Stephen Okechukwu Keshi, has said contrary to news making the rounds that he has applied for the job of Manager of the Elephants of Cote 'D Ivoire, he is rather very happy with managing the Nigerian national team; Super Eagles who defeated the Ivorien national side on the way to the SA 2013 triumph.
Speaking through his Manager, Emmanuel Addo, Keshi cautioned that enemies of Nigerian football should always look for positives instead of the other way round as the country tries to redefine the way forward for the national team. With a recently signed two years contract, Keshi says he will never detract from set goals between him and the NFF leadership.
On the flipside, the longest serving national team captain declared that he was happy to be shortlisted for the Elephants job by football authorities in that country and it goes to show the quality of the Nigerian bench.
Addo, finally on behalf of Keshi urged all well meaning Nigerian football followers not to allow enemies of the game to continue to cause distraction between the federation and its esteemed staff, noting that there are profiteers from the unholy acts.
allafrica.com/stories/201506220901.html?viewall=1

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:41am On Jun 22, 2015
Eagles Have Cliques, are Not Friends Reveals NFF Boss.

President of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), Amaju Pinnick, has revealed that there are cliques in the Super Eagles, the players are not friends and they lack discipline.
Pinnick touched on a wide-range of issues on a television programme on Monday morning.
“I noticed that the players are not friends, there are various cliques and all of these stuff,” revealed Pinnick.
“They should love themselves.
“There is a level of indiscipline and this impacts negatively on the performance of the team.”
Keshi not quitting for Cote d'Ivoire
He also spoke on the latest cases of indiscipline involving skipper Vincent Enyeama and Ogenyi Onazi, insisting nobody is bigger than Nigeria.
Onazi was fined $5,000 for his sending off against Chad in an AFCON qualifier and Enyeama will on Tuesday face the NFF disciplinary committee after his statement questioning the safety of Kaduna for the match.
“Will you do that at your club?” he asked about the needless red card Onazi bagged.
“Enyeama made careless and provocative statements about Kaduna and we felt very bad about it. It cost us as it heightened the security situation in Kaduna.”
He said the executive committee will soon take a decision on the Flying Eagles and the Super Eagles after they both crashed out of their various World Cups this month.
Pinnick further disclosed that the NFF are probing the reported application of Stephen Keshi to coach Cote d’Ivoire.
“We will look into it. Let’s wait and see,” he said.
“But it will be suicidal to say he wants to seek employment somewhere else when we are not owing him.”
africanfootball.com//news/540125/Eagles-have-cliques-are-not-friends-reveals-NFF-boss

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 2:13pm On Jun 22, 2015
What Must the Buhari Government Do for Nigerian Football?
How can the new administration in Nigeria best serve the Super Eagles and the national game as a whole?
The Super Eagles’ 2-0 win over Chad last weekend in President Muhammadu Buhari’s native Kaduna State ushered in a new era for Nigerian football. Not only was it the first senior competitive international under the administration of the new Head of State, it also coincided simultaneously with the campaigns of the Flying Eagles and the Super Falcons in New Zealand and Canada respectively.
So what does the future hold for Nigerian football and what should the new government do for the good of the nation’s sport?
The pervading notion of Nigeria as the ‘Giant of Africa’ is undermined by the fact that basic structures that aid the growth of football are not very solid.
For a start, grassroots football is not well promoted and this needs to be addressed in order to continue producing potential talents for the future.
The Nigerian Premier League needs to be revamped as Nigerian clubs are not doing well enough in continental showpieces and have been overtaken by teams from other countries.
Two-time African champions Enyimba have been nowhere to be found on the continent since their CAF Champions League triumph in 2003 and 2004. Shooting Stars, who were the first Nigerian club to win a continental trophy back in 1995, have found themselves in the Second Division in recent times. Nigerian clubs have what it takes to match other African sides that have dominated in recent times such as Al-Ahly, Zamalek, TP Mazembe, Raja Casablanca, Esperance and Etoile du Sahel among others. After all, Nigerians such as Michael Eneramo, William Okpara, Julius Aghahowa all performed well while plying their trade for some of these teams.
The government of Buhari should do more to encourage private ownership of clubs rather than state ownership. There should also be increased sponsorship in the league. Mediums such as SuperSport and Goal Nigeria have done a tremendous job in delivering excellent coverage of the league, but more can be done to encourage fans to flock stadiums each weekend.
Stadia across the country also need serious upgrades. Prominent players should be able to return home at the climax of their careers rather than going to USA, Australia, China and elsewhere.
Could the likes of Yakubu ever be tempted to end their careers in Nigeria?
South Africa star Benni McCarthy ended his career at home with Orlando Pirates in 2013 after spending 14 trophy-laden years in Europe.
Others include Cameroon centre back Raymond Kalla who called it a day with Union Douala as well as Tunisian defender Khaled Badra who returned to Esperance late in his career.
The NFF has projected a bad image of Nigerian football over the years with internal conflicts which invoke the wrath of Fifa. Never again must the Nigerian game be brought into disrepute by Fifa threatening sanctions following misdemeanours by the game’s administrators.
The Super Eagles are the pride of Nigerian football, and they must be remunerated when due.
It’s wrong not to be able to compensate players who have sacrificed themselves for their beloved country. Refusal to pay bonuses shouldn’t be an issue for the NFF. Nigeria is not like Cameroon, Togo, Benin among other countries that face an uphill task to remunerate their star players. The administration needs to remove all the bad eggs that turn funds meant for the development of the Super Eagles-and Nigerian football as a whole-into their private pockets.
Nigeria deserves to be on top of the food chain of African football. The likes of South Africa and the North African countries as well as some of Nigeria’s West African neighbours should not be the ones taking the lead.
Nigeria is endowed with enormous resources that should put it at the top.
Failure of the Buhari government to enhance the development of football in Nigeria by a greater margin might see the country falling down the order in the food chain of African football while those that shouldn’t be a match from the proclaimed ‘Giants of Africa’ might seize the limelight.
m.goal.com/x/en-ng/news/12954902

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 2:18pm On Jun 22, 2015
Nigeria Federation: Keshi Will Honor 2-year Contract

ABUJA, Nigeria— The Nigeria Football Federation said it has been assured that coach Stephen Keshi will honor his two-year contract despite being named as a candidate to take charge of African champion Ivory Coast.
The NFF said Keshi, who signed a new contract in April, is "very happy" with his job in Nigeria.
Keshi was on a list of more than 50 candidates published recently by the Ivorian federation to take over from Frenchman Herve Renard.
But in a weekend statement, the NFF said Keshi's manager, Emmanuel Addo, had given assurances that "as a professional, he (Keshi) will see out his contract."
Keshi coached Nigeria to the 2013 African Cup of Nations title, but has had a turbulent time in charge. He resigned in 2013 and was fired last year. He was reinstated both times.
Keshi's success in leading Africa's most populous country to its first continental title in 19 years, and into the second round at the World Cup in Brazil, was tempered when Nigeria failed to qualify for the 2015 African Cup to defend its title.
Keshi, a former national-team captain, went through a long contract negotiation process before agreeing to a new deal two months ago. He had previously been critical of the NFF for the way it treated him but still agreed to return.
Addo said Keshi was pleased to be considered as a candidate by Ivory Coast but would be staying with Nigeria, with the 2017 African Cup and 2018 World Cup qualifying competitions ahead.
Addo didn't say if Keshi had applied for the Ivorian job amid reports that the NFF was investigating if Keshi approached the Ivory Coast federation.
www.sunherald.com/2015/06/22/6288624/nigeria-federation-keshi-will.html

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 2:22pm On Jun 22, 2015
Nigeria: Five Lessons From Eagles 2017 AFCON Qualifier Against Chad

By Mansur Abubakar
Kaduna — Nigeria kicked off their quest for a fourth African Cup of Nations trophy with a 2-0 win over Chad last weekend at the Ahmadu Bello stadium in Kaduna. Here are five lessons from the encounter against Les Sao.
Nigerians will always love Eagles - After last year's failure to qualify for the 2015 AFCON in Equatorial Guinea and other lacklustre displays afterwards, many would have assumed that most Nigerians had given up on the team but whoever was at the Ahmadu Bello stadium on match day against Chad would testify that love for Eagles hasn't waned a bit across the country.
Loyal fans still travelled all the way from Lagos, Ibadan, Maiduguri and Jigawa just to show their support for their beloved team. The official spectators figure was 24,650 with many other fans who got in through illegal means.
First half evoked bad memories - As Coach Stephen Keshi rightly said in an interview with journalists after the match, the unimpressive first half showing was mainly down to anxieties which in my opinion was caused by fear of the massive disappointment suffered by the team last year.With Ahmed Musa, Vincent Enyeama, Gbolahan Salami, Babatunde Michael and Ogenyi Onazi among the starters (were all part of the shocked team from last year) there was bound to be some trepidation on the part of the players who craved for stability instead offensive play in case something goes wrong. Nigerians were glad the second half of the game turned out different.
Rabiu Ibrahim can be the new playmaker - No player savoured the occasion at the ABS like the AS Trencin star who finally made his return to the team after a long break. And to be introduced in front of his local Kaduna fans was no doubt a momentous feeling for Ibrahim who also turned out to be one of the best performers. The biggest compliment for the creative midfielder came from the gaffer himself who said "In the first half there is a lot of precautions, mistakes and anxieties but in the second half we have to work on the positioning and the introduction of Rabiu (Ibrahim) and (Odion) Ighalo changed the game and we were able to win. We hope to work on that to ensure that we play well from the first half." That is to say the player from now on will play a big part in Keshi's campaign to qualify for the next AFCON.
Ighalo finally breaks jinx - Ahead of this game, Ighalo said his singular wish was to score his first international goal for Nigeria after three scoreless appearances. And the Watford player not only got a goal but was also on hand to assist Gbolahan Salami for Nigeria's opener against a stubborn Chadian defence. From the game, everyone could see that Ighalo has desire and is hungry for goals and success which is a prerequisite for reaching the top. Hopefully Nigerians will get to see more of the player in the next coming games before he is labelled the 'next Yekini'
Pitch and Security - The only downside to what was a memorable experience for most fans was the bumpy pitch and security breaches. Eagles captain Vincent Enyeama, a week before the match complained about the state of the ABS pitch and unfortunately nothing was done about it and during the game one could clearly the players struggling to get hold of the ball. Furthermore, some fans ran into the pitch after the second goal was scored and they did same at the end of the match, meaning security was porous.
allafrica.com/stories/201506221356.html?viewall=1

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 2:25pm On Jun 22, 2015
Nigeria: 'Some NFF Board Members Want Keshi to Fail'
By Tony Ezimakor
A plot to force Stephen Keshi to quit his job as Head Coach of the Super Eagles has been uncovered by Daily Independent.
A source at the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) revealed that some NFF board members are still nursing grudges against Keshi over the manner he 'arm twisted' them to reclaim the job, and would stop at nothing to stop him.
According to the source, a portent tool in the hands of Keshi's 'assailants' include certain clauses in his contract to allow unfettered control of a nonexistent technical department to dictate to the coach on every matter ranging from team selection, training regime and other sundry issues.
"I can tell you that some board members will stop at nothing until Keshi goes. They are the people putting pressure on the coach over the use of a non league player. What we see now is a situation where everybody is putting unnecessary pressure on the coach in the name technical department.
"They forget that football is not run that way. What if he fielded the boy in question and he scored a hattrick, will anybody ask where the boy is from. This is all part of a ploy to put pressure on him, force him to make mistake and use that to ease him off," said the source.
The matter also took a nudge at weekend following reports that Keshi's name featured among coaches that applied to Coach Cote d' Ivoire.
The source expressed fears that those seeking his exit may lash on this development to further their interest.
Meanwhile, Keshi has denied applying to coach the Elephants, saying, "he is happy managing the Super Eagles."
He said in statement signed by his manager, Emmanuel Ado that he had a two-year contract with the NFF, which he promised to see out.
He, therefore, cautioned enemies of Nigerian football to always look for positives as the country tries to redefine the way forward for the Eagles.
With a recently signed two years contract, Keshi says he would never detract from the set goals between him and the NFF.
He said that he was happy to be shortlisted for the Elephants job by football authorities in that country and it goes to show the quality of the Nigerian bench.
"I feel highly honored to be short listed by Cote D'Ivore- a great footballing country. Like you all know I have a very good relationship with Cote D'Ivore since my playing days. It is a relationship that he cherishes and would continue to cherish all the days of his life."
Addo, finally on behalf of Keshi urged all well meaning Nigerian football followers not to allow enemies of the game to continue to cause distraction between the federation and its esteemed staff, noting that there were profiteers from the unholy acts.
allafrica.com/stories/201506221030.html?viewall=1

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 6:18pm On Jun 22, 2015
Odion Ighalo Does Not Rule Out Watford Exit.
EXCLUSIVE: The Nigerian has not closed the door on leaving the EPL new boys after scoring 20 goals last season to ensure he is being courted by new clubs
By Shemmy Sholabomi
Striker Odion Ighalo has not completely ruled out a departure from Watford who will play in the English Premier League next season depending on the way contract negotiations go, he has told Goal.
The 25-year-old Nigerian scored 20 goals in the Championship to help the team secure promotion to the lucrative Premiership last term.
Two weeks ago he scored his first senior goal for the Super Eagles as they defeated Chad 2-0 in their opening 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying game in Kaduna and is high on confidence.
Swansea have been reported to be keen on securing the striker’s signature.
“I have two years contract with Watford. But in football you can never say never. Things happen just in a minute,” Ighalo told Goal.
“I love the club and I love the fans too. They love me too and I am happy and the fans really helped me to settle down fast in Watford.
“Although, we are still negotiating for a new contract for the Premier League because the club is still talking to my agent.
“If they come to a conclusion fine, if not then we will see what happens. I know some teams are interested in me but we will see what happens at the end of the day,” he said.
If he stays with the newly promoted side, Ighalo’s mission would be to help them consolidate their place at the top.
“I would say my target for the season is Watford to remain in the Premiership because I know it won’t be easy. But I am determined to help the club with the rest of my teammates to remain in the Premiership, that would be great for us,” he concluded.
m.goal.com/x/en-ng/news/12961282

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 5:39am On Jun 23, 2015
Indiscipline Bane of Eagles – Pinnick.
President of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), Amaju Pinnick, has revealed that there are cliques in the Super Eagles, adding that the players were not friends and they lacked discipline.
Pinnick who was speaking on a television programme Monday morning touched on a wide-range of issues affecting the national team.
“I noticed that the players are not friends, there are various cliques and all of these stuff,” revealed Pinnick, adding, “they should love themselves.
“There is a level of indiscipline and this impacts negatively on the performance of the team.”
He also spoke on the latest cases of indiscipline involving skipper Vincent Enyeama and Ogenyi Onazi, insisting nobody is bigger than Nigeria.
Onazi was fined $5,000 for his sending off against Chad in an AFCON qualifier and Enyeama will on today face the NFF disciplinary committee after his statement questioning the safety of Kaduna for the match.
“Will you do that at your club?” he asked about the needless red card Onazi bagged.
“Enyeama made careless and provocative statements about Kaduna and we felt very bad about it. It cost us as it heightened the security situation in Kaduna.”
He said the executive committee will soon take a decision on the Flying Eagles and the Super Falcons after they both crashed out of their various World Cups this month.
Pinnick further disclosed that the NFF are probing the reported application of Stephen Keshi to coach Cote d’Ivoire.
“We will look into it. Let’s wait and see,” he said.
“But it will be suicidal to say he wants to seek employment somewhere else when we are not owing him.”
www.vanguardngr.com/2015/06/indiscipline-bane-of-eagles-pinnick/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 5:44am On Jun 23, 2015
Nigeria Can Win 2018 FIFA World Cup, says Elegbeleyeon March 24, 2015.
Abuja – Gbenga Elegbeleye, Director-General, National Sports Commission (NSC), said on Tuesday expressed optimistic that Nigeria could win the 2018 FIFA World Cup to be hosted by Russia.
Elegbeleye said this at a reception organised in honour of the victorious Flying Eagles by NSC.
Gbenga Elegbeleye
He said the current Flying Eagles could win the World Cup when they graduate to Super Eagles in the near future.
The Flying Eagles won all their matches at the just-concluded Africa Youth Championship (AYC).
The team defeated host Senegal in the final to lift the cup for the seventh time.
“About 11, 12 years ago in my house in Akure, I remember Coach Manu Garba, telling me that Nigeria can win the World Cup in 15 years.
“I am still holding to that statement. He said in 15 years Nigeria can develop a team that can win the World Cup.
“So, when he won the Under-17 World Cup, I laughed. Now your team has won the under-20 African Championship and preparing to go for the Under-20 World Cup.
“Twelve years ago should be 2018. So, I can see these young stars as probably the team that will win World Cup for Africa”, he said.
Amaju Pinnick, Chairman, Nigeria Football Association (NFA) said the team would receive all the support it needed to win the World Cup.
Pinnick who was represented by Mrs Dilichukwu Onyedimma, an NFA board member commended the NSC and President Goodluck Jonathan for supporting the football house in its endeavours.
He said the support was partly responsible for the successes achieved in football in the country.
He said that the success would continue until the Flying Eagles lifted the under-20 World Cup to be hosted by New Zealand.
Taiwo Awoniyi, who spoke on behalf of the team, commended the NFA, NSC and Jonathan for their support for the team.
“Our plan was to qualify and win the nations cup which we just did. Our coaches are the secret of our success.
“Without them there won’t be us and without us there won’t be them,’’ Awoniyi said.
Manu Garba, the coach of the team urged the Federal Government to help the team to actualise its aim of winning the Under-20 World Cup by supporting it the more.
He called for the setting up of a ‘refreshing’ camp for the team in preparation for the World Cup.
Garba expressed the hope that the bulk of the Flying Eagles players would form the integral part of the future Super Eagles.
Godfrey Gaiya, the Chairman, House of Representatives Committee on Sports, told the players that the National Assembly would host them.
“You remember the last time the Super Eagles came back from South Africa with the Nations Cup; the House of Representatives deemed it fit to welcome them to the gallery of the National Assembly.
“That was the first time such a thing actually happened in the history of legislation in this country. I can assure you that your have equally done us proud.
“It will not be out of place with the permission of the NSC D-G and leadership of NFA, to give you a date,’’ Gaiya said. (NAN)
www.vanguardngr.com/2015/03/nigeria-can-win-2018-fifa-world-cup-says-elegbeleye/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 5:58am On Jun 23, 2015
NFF Goofed Over Enyeama –Ex-Players.
’Tana Aiyejina

Former Nigerian footballers Ambrose Duru and Segun Oguns have said the Nigeria Football Federation erred in the way they have handled an issue involving Super Eagles captain Vincent Enyeama.
The goalkeeper faces the football body’s disciplinary committee on Tuesday (today), after raising concerns over the safety of Kaduna for their 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Chad on June 13.
Enyeama apologised over his comments, saying he didn’t mean to “bring down the good people of Kaduna because they are very hospitable people. I want to say sorry to the people of Kaduna and the governor of the state as well.”
However, the federation issued him a query over the comments. The Lille keeper reportedly tore the letter in front of the NFF officials.
“Enyeama made careless and provocative statements about Kaduna and we felt very bad about it. It cost us as it heightened the security situation in Kaduna,” Pinnick Amaju, NFF boss, was quoted as saying on a television programme on Monday.
Ex-Julius Berger captain Duru said the NFF had not handled the matter properly, saying it could lead to a feud in the team.
“I feel we shouldn’t treat Enyeama this way because it might affect the national team. He’s done well for Nigeria but he made a mistake and apologised, so he should be forgiven. The federation is unnecessarily exposing him,” Duru said.
“They are trying to create enmity and this could divide the team. It can also instigate the northerners against the southern players. The NFF got it wrong on this issue. If they want to punish the player, they should, rather than making him look like an enemy of the north.”
Oguns, an ex-Eagles fringe keeper, described the issue as a “distraction.”
He stated, “As far as I am concerned, it’s not an issue because as captain of the team, Enyeama has a right to speak on behalf of the players. This issue has been over exaggerated. I felt since the NFF president had reacted, it should have ended.
“If Enyeama is to face a disciplinary committee, why haven’t state governors that said the North is unsafe faced disciplinary committees? Why is Enyeama’s case different? If they are tired of the player, they should tell him to quit the national team. He has done very well for the nation.”
www.punchng.com/sports/nff-goofed-over-enyeama-ex-players/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 6:04am On Jun 23, 2015
Asamoah Gyan: John Obi Mikel will 'definitely' be playing at Al Ain next season.
The Chelsea midfielder has been linked with a move away from Chelsea this summer
Ed Dove
Ghana superstar Asamoah Gyan understands that John Obi Mikelwill 'definitely' be switching to United Arab Emirates side Al Ainthis summer, with the midfielder having been linked heavily with a transfer away from Chelsea.
The Nigeria midfielder moved to Stamford Bridge in 2006, and has since become one of the most successful African stars of his generation.
However, his time with the Pensioners looks to be coming to an end, with both Al Ain and Turkish giants Fenerbahce linked with a move for the Super Eagle, according to the Express.
Speaking to Metro TV [via the National], Gyan has expressed his desire for Mikel to come and join him in Abu Dhabi.
“I heard it this week that he has agreed terms with Al Ain and will most definitely be playing for us next season,” the striker began, “it’s great news for us because Mikel Obi is a very good player and very experienced.
“It will be exciting playing with him in the same team, because I believe both of us, with the help of our other colleagues, can do more for the club.”
The striker’s success in the Middle East, since leaving Premier League Sunderland in 2011 may well encourage Mikel to consider a switch to the UAE.
Gyan is a three-time UAE Pro League champion, having won his most-recent domestic crown earlier this year. He also won the President’s Cup in 2014, as well as the Arabian Gulf Super Cup in 2012.
On an individual level, the forward is a three-time UAE Pro League Top Scorer, while he also won the golden boot in the AFC Champions League in 2014.
However, the striker is yet to lift the grandest continental club prize in Asian football, and his wait will continue, with the UAE giants having been dumped out of this year’s competition by fierce rivals Al-Ahli in the Round of 16.
Mikel has struggled for first-team football since his mentor Jose Mourinho returned to Stamford Bridge.
The Portuguese coach brought Nemanja Matic to Stamford Bridge, but the Serbian’s arrival has further reduced the midfielder’s playing time.
This season, the 28-year-old managed only six starts in the EPL as the Blues lifted the English championship.
m.goal.com/x/en-ng/news/12969452

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 3:06pm On Jun 23, 2015
Keshi Arrives to Defend Himself Against NFF Allegations.
The Federation had said the coach needs to explain how his name surfaced in the list of coaches to be recruited for the coaching job of the Elephants.
By Shemmy Sholabomi
Brimming with smiles and looking unpertubed, Nigeria coach Stephen Keshi breezed into the NFF Secretariat at 11.50 am on Tuesday to answer a query over his application to become head coach of the Cote d’Ivoire national team despite being on a two-year contract with Nigeria.
On arrival, he proceeded straight to the Board Room of the NFF to meet with the Barrister Green-led NFF Disciplinary Committee.
The 1st Vice President of the Federation, Barrister Seyi Akinwumi had said Keshi has a case to answer and needs to explain how his name surfaced in the list of coaches to be recruited for the coaching job of the Elephants.
"Keshi has been queried and has to appear before the Disciplinary Committee of the NFF for allegedly applying for the Cote d' Ivoire national team job.
"Looking at it morally how will he (Keshi) feel if you see today in the newspapers advertisement for the Super Eagles' Chief Coach job. That is what he needs to explain.
"I heard that he said that he didn't apply so let him come and defend himself before the Disciplinary Committee.
"We cannot pre-judge him. Sometimes things are not as they seems to be. Maybe he (Keshi) didn't apply for the Cote d' Ivoire job. Maybe somebody just use his name. It could be anything. I think we should just wait till tomorrow (today) to hear what Keshi explanations would be.
"What is important is that we (the NFF) must give him fair hearing. He is a Nigerian and he is our coach. So let's give him fair hearing. Let him explain himself.
"The NFF President Amaju Pinnick has assured everyone and I am also assuring that we would be fair. We are not witch-hunting. If he is found not guilty tomorrow (today) we are moving on to the next plan of the Super Eagles. It is nothing personal but it is not right that we should see something like that and keep quiet. So it is not witch-hunting.”
Goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama is also expected to face the panel of enquiry after playing up security fears about Kaduna hosting the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying game against Chad. However, he had not arrived at the NFF office in Abuja as at press time.
m.goal.com/x/en-ng/news/12984082

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:10pm On Jun 26, 2015
Stoke Fans Want Odenwingie Stay.
By Johnny Edward:
Nigerian striker Osaze Odemwingie has been tipped to to get a new contract at the Britannia Stadium following the the results of a recent poll by Vital Stoke community.
The 33-year-old forward, who scored five goals in 15 games before rupturing his cruciate ligament last year, remains a favourite of Stoke fans, 85% of them voting that the club should give him a two-year deal, while 12% say he should only be given a pay-as-you play deal.
The remaining 3% of fans feel the Nigerian should depart the Potteries as in his absence Mark Hughes’ side achieved their highest points total for the second season in a row.
Stoke have already made moves in the transfer window as they have brought in striker Joselu from Hannover.
The former West Brom forward was named on the Potters retained list but has yet to receive a new contract at the Britannia Stadium.

www.completesportsnigeria.com/stoke-fans-want-odenwingie-stay/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Nobody: 4:58pm On Jun 26, 2015
If Super Eagles Coach Stephen Keshi applied for the Les Éléphants job it was illegal, former Eagles Captain and Keshi’s teammate Sunday Oliseh told www.footballlive.ng.
” Its illegal to seek another job as a coaCh if you’re employed by another association but let’s not jump guns, can anybody really tell if he applied?

However though Oliseh feels Keshi is under undue pressure from his employers and stated the Nigeria Football Federation ignore the recent developments and focus on providing an enabling working atmosphere for the Coach.

In a very strong statement, Oliseh who has also served as a member of Fifa’s technical study group says identified the Federation’s inability to find a ‘credible’ replacement for Keshi on the job as a vital reason to condone the 53-year-old.

” Personally I feel its much to do about nothing, but my concern is if you kick Keshi out who is credible enough to coach the Super Eagles. But why not make him very comfortable provide him all the necessities to make his job smooth. He’s a personality and we all know he’s not perfect but then again who is?” the former Eagles captain posited.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:05pm On Jun 26, 2015
Enyeama Lied –NFF
The Nigeria Football Federation has described as untrue claims by Super Eagles Captain Vincent Enyeama that he was not invited to appear before its disciplinary committee.
The Eagles captain was widely reported to have shunned the committee, which sat on Tuesday in the Nigerian capital of Abuja.
Enyeama responding to the claims said that he was not officially invited to appear before the committee, but that the NFF only sent him a query urging him to desist from making such statements.
However, NFF spokesperson, Ademola Olajire, said:”I can assure you on good authority that Enyeama was sent an invitation letter by the NFF.
“The invitation to appear before the committee was sent to him through the channel that we normally send him invitations to Super Eagles matches.
“The disciplinary committee is a judicial body, so whether Eneyama appears or not they would make their decision.”

dailyindependentnig.com/2015/06/enyeama-lied-nff/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:33pm On Jun 26, 2015
Daninya11:
If Super Eagles Coach Stephen Keshi applied for the Les Éléphants job it was illegal, former Eagles Captain and Keshi’s teammate Sunday Oliseh told www.footballlive.ng.
” Its illegal to seek another job as a coaCh if you’re employed by another association but let’s not jump guns, can anybody really tell if he applied?

However though Oliseh feels Keshi is under undue pressure from his employers and stated the Nigeria Football Federation ignore the recent developments and focus on providing an enabling working atmosphere for the Coach.

In a very strong statement, Oliseh who has also served as a member of Fifa’s technical study group says identified the Federation’s inability to find a ‘credible’ replacement for Keshi on the job as a vital reason to condone the 53-year-old.

” Personally I feel its much to do about nothing, but my concern is if you kick Keshi out who is credible enough to coach the Super Eagles. But why not make him very comfortable provide him all the necessities to make his job smooth. He’s a personality and we all know he’s not perfect but then again who is?” the former Eagles captain posited.

[b][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
Former Super Eagles Coach, James Peters has said that Super Eagles Chief Coach Stephen Keshi has not committed any crime if he actually applied for a coaching job with the Cote d’ Ivoire Football Association if such clause is not included in the contract he signed with the Nigeria Football Federation and should not be castigated for doing so.
“As far as I am concerned and as far as this country is concerned, there is freedom of speech, there is freedom of association and there is freedom of nearly everything. If Keshi decides to apply to Ivory Coast to apply for a job it is not a crime.
“Maybe Keshi is not satisfied with what he was given here (in Nigeria by the Nigeria Football Federation) that is why he is looking elsewhere for a better and a greener pastures for his family. There is nothing wrong for a coach to apply for job anywhere even when he is working somewhere.
“I don’t find anything wrong with that. If he has applied and if he takes the job he will come back here (the NFF) honourably and say sir thank you very much for employing me. I think I got a better offer somewhere and I want to go and take up that job.
“The problem here is that you must always guide against anything like the raining day. That is why you need to have a sound technical department in the Nigeria Football Federation. If you have a sound technical department with qualified and able coaches they can always step in at any giving time when somebody leaves his job half way or suddenly. I have done that before when I stepped in for another coach, so there is nothing new in that.
“All over the world you are allowed to apply for a job so this action is uncalled for. If Keshi gets a job today and goes, the NFF should ask somebody in the technical department to take over. If he does not get the job he continues. If Keshi apply for a job will he come and tell his employers that he has applied? He won’t. You applied to get a job. If you get it fine, if you don’t you continue with your job. That is how I look at it. I don’t see anything wrong with him applying for a job anywhere.
“But if he did it, it is a very bad thing, but they should not take this as a major issue. It is not an issue. They should not castigate Keshi for applying. What they should do is that they should look at him whether he is doing his work correctly or he is not doing it correctly. If he is not doing it correctly then you can take the right action. When he was signing contract with the Nigeria Football Federation, did he say he will not apply for another job again.
“Is it in the contract? If it is in the contract that he said he won’t apply for another job again as long as you give him hob here (as Eagles Chief Coach) then if he applies you can hold him liable. But if he did not say anything like that in his contract then he is free to apply anywhere.
“There were many coaches who came to this country that were working for the Football Federation and still applied to other places for jobs. But we didn’t bother because we have to first finish your job. If such coach signed for two years he must finish the contract or pay us back the remaining period left to complete his terms of contract before he would be allowed to go,” Peters explained.[/b]

thenationonlineng.net/new/application-for-ivory-coast-job-keshi-has-not-committed-any-crime-peters/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:56pm On Jun 26, 2015
[b]I’ll Recommend Keshi For Sack –Igbokwe
By Augustine Akhilomen - Lagos
The fate of Super Eagles Head Coach, Stephen keshi, over allegation that he applied for the vacant post of the Cote d’ Ivoire national team may have been sealed, if feelers from the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) are anything to go by.
The Vice chairman of the NFF’s Disciplinary Committee, Barrister Iyke Igbokwe, said that the coach would be recommended for sack, if findings revealed that he applied for the job.
Keshi, who appeared before the Committee on Tuesday, has, however, denied applying for the job.
Barrister Iyke Igbokwe and Keshi
However, Igbokwe said that Keshi would be shown the exit door, if it was proved beyond reasonable doubt that he applied for the job.
”If he applied for the Cote d’ Ivoire job then the element of trust is gone. You can’t apply for the Ivorien job in the middle of a Nations Cup qualifying run. I would advise the NFF to sack him because this is an insult on the nation,” he said during a radio programme.
He revealed that Super Eagles goalkeeper, Vincent Enyeama, would not go unpunished for failing to appear before the NFF Disciplinary Committee hearing on Tuesday.
“Without Keshi or Enyeama Nigeria football will move on but we must instill discipline in the system. After all, before Enyeam, there was Ike Shorunmu, Peter Rufai, Best Ogedengbe and there was even Emmanuel Okpala.”
Igbokwe said that Nigeria can do without Keshi.
Meanwhile, former Assistant General Secretary on the Technical Matters, James Peters, says he does not see anything wrong if Keshi applied for another job, despite having a contract with the NFF.
Peter, who is unhappy with the whole scenario, blamed the NFF for not having a sound technical department that could have taking care of such issues.
“I don’t see anything wrong about him applying for another job.
“That is why we need a sound Technical department in the NFF with qualified Coaches who can act on interim bases in the absence of a substantive Coach,” Peters said.
In a seeming show of solidarity, James Peters appealed to the federation to tread softly on Keshi’s case.
”This should not be blown out of proportion, he shouldn’t be castigated.”t[/b]

dailyindependentnig.com/2015/06/ill-recommend-keshi-sack-igbokwe/

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (161) (Reply)

Difference Btw Handicap 0:1 And Handicap 1:0 / Official NPFL Thread. (nigerian Professional Football League) / Are World Wrestling Entertainment Fights Real or Just Acting?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 223
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.