Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,469 members, 7,816,112 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:12 AM

Girl Dies After Lying To Doctors She's A Virgin When She Was Pregnant & Bleeding - Health (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Girl Dies After Lying To Doctors She's A Virgin When She Was Pregnant & Bleeding (44954 Views)

Photos: Malnourished Child Brutally Tortured, Abused And Left Lying On The Stree / Nigerian Woman Who Was Pregnant For 3 Years Finally Gives Birth. Photos / Teacher Makes Girl Sit On Hot Water Container In Lagos, Girl Dies (Graphic Pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Girl Dies After Lying To Doctors She's A Virgin When She Was Pregnant & Bleeding by Lagusta(m): 11:19am On May 19, 2015
ronald4lif:
In saner climes, that doctor risk losing his licence for negligence of duty. He ought to carry out appropriate medical test and not rely on the patient's account. A doctor should diagnose ailment before proceeding with any treatment and not rely on patients account of symptoms. He really have a lot to answer.

DrAify and KingTom, what are your take on this.

Good!!!!!!

But what if the patient refused treatment and physical examination
Re: Girl Dies After Lying To Doctors She's A Virgin When She Was Pregnant & Bleeding by bangele: 12:08pm On May 19, 2015
I guess so was scared of her parents and the society
Re: Girl Dies After Lying To Doctors She's A Virgin When She Was Pregnant & Bleeding by ELBAND: 1:32pm On May 19, 2015
Eeyaa cry cry cry cry
Re: Girl Dies After Lying To Doctors She's A Virgin When She Was Pregnant & Bleeding by Nobody: 3:12pm On May 19, 2015
ronald4lif:
In saner climes, that doctor risk losing his licence for negligence of duty. He ought to carry out appropriate medical test and not rely on the patient's account. A doctor should diagnose ailment before proceeding with any treatment and not rely on patients account of symptoms. He really have a lot to answer.

DrAify and KingTom, what are your take on this.
you are right on the need for d doc to have made a proper diagnosis before opening a patient up, but he'll only have that time when the patient comes in stable (not a high probability that the patient could die within the hour). Otherwise, in a country like Nigeria, where we do not have facilities readily available, in or out of the theatre to affirm or refute clinical diagnosis (making diagnosis based on info gotten from interacting with the patient and the doc's. Subjective observations), a doc will often have to do without tests results in other to save a patient's life. He therefore acted within the scope of the profession, atleast in the setting where he found himself.
Re: Girl Dies After Lying To Doctors She's A Virgin When She Was Pregnant & Bleeding by naijaclinic: 4:04pm On May 19, 2015
This goes to show how hated doctors are in this climate.

Many hospitals have USS centers miles away from the emergency room. As a policy, the doctor on call will be held responsible if a patient dies while travelling for USS during a clear emergency. Principle is theatre first, questions later. Better a negative lap than a confirmed diagnosis on a dead patient on the scan table.(Talking from experience). Overseas they have a small handheld machine called FAST. So all our European and American critics should contribute and send to us.

When a patient says I'm a virgin, it is the ultimate lie. If she says "I can't remember when last I had sex" , the doctor can still continue to pursue his suspicions. If she says am a virgin, then I must be looking for Mary 2 to order a PT. Especially when it is clear to all that she is dying. I would least expect her to lie under such grave circumstances. So she nailed her coffin.

Many centers have Labs and scan centers that function minimally at night and weekends. So JOHESU pple castigating doctors should work on ensuring 24 hrs full services. (Where I trained, you only get PCV, PT, MP and RVS beyond 4pm or on weekends).

Finally I always say Nigerian patients do not understand the limitations of doctors and health facilities. If they did, they will not present late in the day, present on weekends, present when death has brushed by or lie to health workers.

3 Likes

Re: Girl Dies After Lying To Doctors She's A Virgin When She Was Pregnant & Bleeding by Nobody: 8:20pm On May 19, 2015
Cutehector:
eh heaven na.. After death isn't it judgement? Whr will d judgment take place? In hell? Smh
Lol take a chill pill. Hian
Re: Girl Dies After Lying To Doctors She's A Virgin When She Was Pregnant & Bleeding by Dementor(m): 10:16pm On May 19, 2015
I'm a final year medical student. I have been taught that the above symptoms in a sexually active lady is a ruptured ectopic until proven otherwise. So a pregnancy test and ultrasound scan would have laid issues to rest and maybe she'll just lose a tube. But the young lady in question claimed she was a virgin. We all know virgins are not sexually active. So pursuing a diagnosis of ruptured ectopic is somehow. If it were in my centre, which is a tertiary centre maybe it would have been spotted. But I dunno if the hospital or health centre had a working USS machine or PT test kit at that time of the night. Yes, in most Nigerian hospitals, the doctors have to rely on their clinical acumen only. I won't rush to blame the Doctor, patients should always tell the truth to people that matter, their health care providers.
Doctors claiming to practice abroad who always bash Nigerian Doctors on Nairaland over misdiagnosis on twitter should cease and desist. You all worked previously in Nigeria before leaving for greener pastures. You know why you left, you know the situation here, because you're now in an ideal setting where everything works doesn't make you a better Doctor than those saving lives with their bare hands over here. In my hospital, Doctors have to improvise daily to make sure patients get better. You have to give them kudos. I can bet my kidneys that you would probably do worse if you were here.
Lastly, pressure should be put on the incoming Government to invest in their hospitals. The situation is appalling. My teaching hospital is one of the 'so-called' best in the South-south. There's no MRI, the CT-scan machine is bad. The X-Rays are of poor quality. Patients have to rely on private diagnostic facilities in town. The pharmacies do have all the drugs in stock, the labs are always coming up with spurious values. It won't cost up to what the Senators are consuming in a year to upgrade at least one teaching hospital per geopolitical zone to world class status. *drops mike* haha

1 Like

Re: Girl Dies After Lying To Doctors She's A Virgin When She Was Pregnant & Bleeding by elderhimself(m): 10:59pm On May 19, 2015
Shey una see wetin virginity dae cause And all these will be forming like virginity is the key to heaven............. I weep for some dumb souls
Re: Girl Dies After Lying To Doctors She's A Virgin When She Was Pregnant & Bleeding by idu1(m): 7:36pm On May 20, 2015
naijaclinic:
This goes to show how hated doctors are in this climate.

Many hospitals have USS centers miles away from the emergency room. As a policy, the doctor on call will be held responsible if a patient dies while travelling for USS during a clear emergency. Principle is theatre first, questions later. Better a negative lap than a confirmed diagnosis on a dead patient on the scan table.(Talking from experience). Overseas they have a small handheld machine called FAST. So all our European and American critics should contribute and send to us.

When a patient says I'm a virgin, it is the ultimate lie. If she says "I can't remember when last I had sex" , the doctor can still continue to pursue his suspicions. If she says am a virgin, then I must be looking for Mary 2 to order a PT. Especially when it is clear to all that she is dying. I would least expect her to lie under such grave circumstances. So she nailed her coffin.

Many centers have Labs and scan centers that function minimally at night and weekends. So JOHESU pple castigating doctors should work on ensuring 24 hrs full services. (Where I trained, you only get PCV, PT, MP and RVS beyond 4pm or on weekends).

Finally I always say Nigerian patients do not understand the limitations of doctors and health facilities. If they did, they will not present late in the day, present on weekends, present when death has brushed by or lie to health workers.
u r just beating about the bush.
Just say the truth no one ll harm you here.

The docs that handle that girl r silly....
I wonder how most of them manage to graduate from their various schools.
The female ones are most dumb...

What happened was a simple case of complicated pregnancy.
What's wrong in doing a simple pregnancy test...

1 Like

Re: Girl Dies After Lying To Doctors She's A Virgin When She Was Pregnant & Bleeding by Gemc3(f): 3:15pm On May 21, 2015
If they suspected an ectopic pregnancy, they could have done a simple pregnancy test.. . . . . . Most doctors know that not all patients are comfortable with telling them the truth.
Re: Girl Dies After Lying To Doctors She's A Virgin When She Was Pregnant & Bleeding by eyinjuege: 7:04pm On May 21, 2015
heykims:

I don't agree sir.
A patient tells u she is a virgin, and u the 'almighty doctor' will still insist that it is pregnancy? I wonder what history of aetiology is meant for if not to rule out probable causes...

Haaahaaha.
Real clinical emergency practice will soon teach you never to decide with your history. Your rely more on YOUR signs. A pt pale, young lady in shock with sudden abdominal tenderness often points at something until proven otherwise and its not ruptured appendicitis.
In a judgemental society such as ours, where everyone wants to be perceived as holier than thou, women have been lying about their sexual history since forever and will continue to do so.
Re: Girl Dies After Lying To Doctors She's A Virgin When She Was Pregnant & Bleeding by Garbanjibrilla(m): 7:02am On Sep 06, 2020
This is what we called life, after death=is god will it so be

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

China Reports Outbreak Of H5N1 Bird Flu / 10 Causes Of Mouth Odour / For Men Only

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.