Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,188 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:44 AM

Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? (25238 Views)

Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? / 'eguns' Badagry Indigenes: Post Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by Jackossky(m): 1:03am On May 05, 2018
scholes0:

Eguns are not linguistically Yoruba they are More like Fons of Benin republic in that aspect.
That being said, all those ethnic-groups are more or less similar in every other regard. Even in benin republic, Guns and Yorubas have internixed so extensively in porto novo and environs that it is now mostly hard to say which is which.

So, depending on who is concerned, egun can be seen as a part of the larger Yoruba identity, and they might not.

Thanks for this, though I read that they were from ile ife, then later to the Benin republic, Togo et al before they finally settled at Apa (somewhere in Badagry) and this was before Nigeria was colonised
Therefore making them a certified Yoruba.
I just want to be sure because there RE many controversial answers. Not even Wikipedia coz there are some erroneous content in there

Eg ( it was written that the ogu people considers Condom a taboo)

When I read that part, I had to invalidate all what I have simmered in from there because that assertion is mendacious.

So, the main point is that... The ogu people are also part of Yoruba, right?
Though, they have an ethnic language which is egun, so do others. Even the ilaje, ogbomoso, ikare, ondo and the rest has a distinct *tongue* and are still thus classified as Yoruba.
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by scholes0(m): 1:37am On May 05, 2018
Jackossky:

Thanks for this, though I read that they were from ile ife, then later to the Benin republic, Togo et al before they finally settled at Apa (somewhere in Badagry) and this was before Nigeria was colonised
Therefore making them a certified Yoruba.
I just want to be sure because there RE many controversial answers. Not even Wikipedia coz there are some erroneous content in there

Eg ( it was written that the ogu people considers Condom a taboo)

When I read that part, I had to invalidate all what I have simmered in from there because that assertion is mendacious.

So, the main point is that... The ogu people are also part of Yoruba, right?
Though, they have an ethnic language which is egun, so do others. Even the ilaje, ogbomoso, ikare, ondo and the rest has a distinct *tongue* and are still thus classified as Yoruba.

Well, as per what you read on wikipedia, the thing is that so many authors on wikipedia rely on written literature from other online sources which they themselves have read at one point or the other since most of them aren't eve from the areas which they are writing things about.
It might have beeen true at a particular time that eguns considered contraceptives to be a taboo, or maybe sme of them considered coitus interruptus a taboo. Probably it wasn't all the eguns that practised it but just a group of them ad most likely the practice is not obsolete, but don't discount it completely because it looks odd to you.

If we are to go by the oral history of all the Gbe speaking groups which include Eguns, Fon, Ewe, Mahi, Adja, Popos (Phlas), Kotafons etc - it all points back to Yoruba. except the Minas who mention Ghana as their own point of origin. Now, whether that makes them Yoruba is another issue. In my opinion it does not make them Yoruba IF they have a different and INDEPENDENT identity, so while the Ewes for example reference Ife and Ketu as their points of origin , they are NOT Yoruba.

For Egun, the case is different because together with their oral history they have also intermixed extensively with Yoruba.
A name like Oluwafemi Senayon or Adeola Hunvi is not uncommon in both Badagry or Porto Novo.

1 Like

Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by Jackossky(m): 2:15am On May 05, 2018
scholes0:

Well, as per what you read on wikipedia, the thing is that so many authors on wikipedia rely on written literature from other online sources which they themselves have read at one point or the other since most of them aren't eve from the areas which they are writing things about.
It might have beeen true at a particular time that eguns considered contraceptives to be a taboo, or maybe sme of them considered coitus interruptus a taboo. Probably it wasn't all the eguns that practised it but just a group of them ad most likely the practice is not obsolete, but don't discount it completely because it looks odd to you.

If we are to go by the oral history of all the Gbe speaking groups which include Eguns, Fon, Ewe, Mahi, Adja, Popos (Phlas), Kotafons etc - it all points back to Yoruba. except the Minas who mention Ghana as their own point of origin. Now, whether that makes them Yoruba is another issue. In my opinion it does not make them Yoruba IF they have a different and INDEPENDENT identity, so while the Ewes for example reference Ife and Ketu as their points of origin , they are NOT Yoruba.

For Egun, the case is different because together with their oral history they have also intermixed extensively with Yoruba.
A name like Oluwafemi Senayon or Adeola Hunvi is not uncommon in both Badagry or Porto Novo.

True, even 'I' for example can attest to that.
But I am very sure that the practice of the 'withdrawal method' is now obsolete.
Though, few might still be using it but it isn't idiosyncratic to them.
Jeez... I lose my respect for Wikipedia.
Wikipedia was of the opinion that the ogu peope are different from Yoruba but accepted that the awori people are a sub group of the Yoruba people.
Then, i took my 'self enlightenment' further and discovered that it wasn't true.
Maybe it's what I want to hear, maybe not.. SINCE I am assured of great minds on Nairaland, then I think I can have a concrete answer to hold on to.
Facts to backup my claims and repute any other controversial one.

For example,
The link below asserts that ogu people were originally from ile ife. Here is an excerpt

'The Ogu people are historically reputed to have migrated from the ancient Ketu,(part of Oduduwa’s Kingdom) and they left Ile-ife around the mid-13 th .Century, for Accra in Gold Coast. The Ga/Ewe(Aja-Ogu) speking group of today´s Ghana are indeed the kith and kin of the Ogu of Badagry. The history of Badagry has a fascinating tradition of Kingship (Wheno-Aholu) and local administration.'

Source :
http://association-of-lagos-state-origin-hamburg-ev.com/contents/people
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by scholes0(m): 2:35am On May 05, 2018
Jackossky:

True, even 'I' for example can attest to that.
But I am very sure that the practice of the 'withdrawal method' is now obsolete.
Though, few might still be using it but it isn't idiosyncratic to them.
Jeez... I lose my respect for Wikipedia.
Wikipedia was of the opinion that the ogu peope are different from Yoruba but accepted that the awori people are a sub group of the Yoruba people.
Then, i took my 'self enlightenment' further and discovered that it wasn't true.
Maybe it's what I want to hear, maybe not.. SINCE I am assured of great minds on Nairaland, then I think I can have a concrete answer to hold on to.
Facts to backup my claims and repute any other controversial one.

For example,
The link below asserts that ogu people were originally from ile ife. Here is an excerpt

'The Ogu people are historically reputed to have migrated from the ancient Ketu,(part of Oduduwa’s Kingdom) and they left Ile-ife around the mid-13 th .Century, for Accra in Gold Coast. The Ga/Ewe(Aja-Ogu) speking group of today´s Ghana are indeed the kith and kin of the Ogu of Badagry. The history of Badagry has a fascinating tradition of Kingship (Wheno-Aholu) and local administration.'

Source :
http://association-of-lagos-state-origin-hamburg-ev.com/contents/people

Sorry I meant to say that the practice is now obsolete, not the other "not obsolete"
Forget about Aworis, they are Yoruba through and through. The person mentioning Aworis and Eguns in the same sentence discussing their identity does not know what he is talking about.

Are you egun? And what is your personal conviction about the Eguns as a whole?

1 Like

Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by Jackossky(m): 11:18am On May 05, 2018
scholes0:

Sorry I meant to say that the practice is now obsolete, not the other "not obsolete"
Forget about Aworis, they are Yoruba through and through. The person mentioning Aworis and Eguns in the same sentence discussing their identity does not know what he is talking about.

Are you egun? And what is your personal conviction about the Eguns as a whole?
Yep, I am.
Though I live my early life in the east, coming back to lag was a turning point. I mean, that's my hometown.
I regard myself as a full blooded Yoruba 'person' and I see myself as such.
You know, some says NO! Egun is not Yoruba, I mean, some people who one can regard as connoisseurs, even some of my peers
Though I do rebuff them but then, I said... Let me be sure, I shouldn't be living in a state of skeptical mental ignorance.

I once called an elder in my family to confirm this annotation, he attested to it and said that ogu people are also part of Yoruba.

Now, here is my conviction.
I do think ogu is part of Yoruba, almost everyone in my hometown are well versed in Yoruba and Egun 'sic'
I have hardly come across one (an Egun man) who can't speak Yoruba. Though there are difference in both language when compared, there are some slight similarities though. This can also be said from those in other part of Yoruba climes
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by scholes0(m): 11:58am On May 05, 2018
Jackossky:

Yep, I am.
Though I live my early life in the east, coming back to lag was a turning point. I mean, that's my hometown.
I regard myself as a full blooded Yoruba 'person' and I see myself as such.
You know, some says NO! Egun is not Yoruba, I mean, some people who one can regard as connoisseurs, even some of my peers
Though I do rebuff them but then, I said... Let me be sure, I shouldn't be living in a state of skeptical mental ignorance.

I once called an elder in my family to confirm this annotation, he attested to it and said that ogu people are also part of Yoruba.

Now, here is my conviction.
I do think ogu is part of Yoruba, almost everyone in my hometown are well versed in Yoruba and Egun 'sic'
I have hardly come across one (an Egun man) who can't speak Yoruba. Though there are difference in both language when compared, there are some slight similarities though. This can also be said from those in other part of Yoruba climes

Ultimately, identity is a matter of personal conviction.
No matter what others say or think, if you identify as Yoruba, you are one.

It might also interest you to take the note that no ethnic group on this globe is 100% homogeneous- For example there are some Egbiras who now see thenselves as Yoruba , there is this Aba egbira beside my village- they came as Ebiras but are now with their children and grandchildren nothing but Yoruba. The only thing which remains of their now 'obsolete; identify is the name of their village “aba Egbira”

Ethnicity is a fluid concept, and Yoruba is an ethnic group that absorbs and acculturates.
Personally, as far as Nigeria is concerned, Eguns are Yoruba. But then, those who chose not to be are not.
Very simple.

4 Likes

Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by Jackossky(m): 7:51pm On May 05, 2018
scholes0:

Ultimately, identity is a matter of personal conviction.
No matter what others say or think, if you identify as Yoruba, you are one.

It might also interest you to take the note that no ethnic group on this globe is 100% homogeneous- For example there are some Egbiras who now see thenselves as Yoruba , there is this Aba egbira beside my village- they cane as Ebiras but are now with their children and grandchildren nothing but Yoruba. The only thing which remains of their now obsolete identiy is the name of their village “aba Egbira”

Ethnicity is a fluid comcept, and Yoruba is an ethnic group that absorbs and acculturates.
Personally, as far as Nigeria is concerned, Eguns are Yoruba. But then, those who chose not to be are not.
Very simple.

True. It's a matter of conviction but that doesn't mean one has to neglect glaring evidence and historical analysis
A black American might be convicted of being an 'inborn' American but then, when historical facts are presented, they might beg to differ.
One's root is ultimate and shouldn't be taken with levity.
If I claim to be a Yoruba, then I should be able to back it up with enough substantiations.
Truth be told, I am a Liberal. If at the end I find out am not a Yoruba, I will accept and won't hinge on convictions.
I want a situation whereby one can tell me; Hey man, you are an ogu and you ain't a Yoruba, and I will be able to defend myself with veracious claims to buttress why I made that statement.
I hope you get what I am trying to pass across?
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by googi: 3:36am On May 06, 2018
Which can quession be dis?

Emeka, I think Egun and Awori are Ibo.
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by Kingscollege(m): 9:32am On Sep 16, 2019
the Yoruba's are Ogun ,ondo ,ekiti ,Oyo,osun Lagos ,kwara and some part of kogi state
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by sylve11: 10:05am On Aug 20, 2023
Jackossky:

True. It's a matter of conviction but that doesn't mean one has to neglect glaring evidence and historical analysis
A black American might be convicted of being an 'inborn' American but then, when historical facts are presented, they might beg to differ.
One's root is ultimate and shouldn't be taken with levity.
If I claim to be a Yoruba, then I should be able to back it up with enough substantiations.
Truth be told, I am a Liberal. If at the end I find out am not a Yoruba, I will accept and won't hinge on convictions.
I want a situation whereby one can tell me; Hey man, you are an ogu and you ain't a Yoruba, and I will be able to defend myself with veracious claims to buttress why I made that statement.
I hope you get what I am trying to pass across?

I like you.

If you have been to Benin Republic before and have interacted with the Egun people who stays there, you'd know that the Egun people aren't Yorubas. The Egun people tell you their history upfront.... cool
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by Christistruth03: 12:43pm On Aug 23, 2023
sylve11:

I like you.

If you have been to Benin Republic before and have interacted with the Egun people who stays there, you'd know that the Egun people aren't Yorubas. The Egun people tell you their history upfront.... cool

The Egun descended from Oduduwa of Ile Ife through the Olupopo Oduduwa's Son

They are Akan Language speakers of Yoruba Ancestry

They include the Egun ,Ewe of Togo and Ghana and the GA tribe of Ghana they are different clans of the same People that the Yoruba call the Egun

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vanguardngr.com/2019/03/yoruba-in-badagry-are-from-ile-ife-not-ghana-high-chief-wawu/amp/

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Benue Bans Men From Spending More Than N100, 000 On Traditional Marriage / Enitan Ogunwusi, Ooni Of Ife Cuts 3 Cakes At 44th Birthday (PHOTO) / The Igala Kingdom: Their Culture, Beliefs, Marriage, And History

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.