Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,305 members, 7,815,553 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:25 PM

6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop (44541 Views)

FCSC: A Country Where 3rd Class Is Considered Above Msc + Bsc (2.1) / Discrimination Against Graduates From State Universities / Australia Government MSc Scholarship For Nigerians- 3rd Class Can Apply (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 3:39am On May 21, 2015
Teagirl:
Where are the first class graduates?? Every body come oh,, let's encourage young Nigerians on the need to read well in school.. If u know ur CGPA finished and u got expelled quote me...

We re right here... busy reading this topic with utmost amusement. I cant recall any 1st class that i graduated with (we were 9 through the entire graduating class) that has struggled with holding lucrative jobs. Last i checked, most of us made it to foreign graduate programs on free rides. But i'll just let some of the folks here enjoy consoling themselves.

9 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Evegreen: 3:50am On May 21, 2015
mrcarter:

Funny seeing 2:2 in this your long essay, only if u know how difficult it's to graduate with 2:2 in some department

k
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 4:04am On May 21, 2015
Don't trust academic grading of Nigeria schools because our educational system is very bad. What Nigerian Universities do is mainly theoretical; only little or no practicals is involved, which is far more necessary. It is like telling someone how to catch a fish and showing someone how to catch a fish (which is more effective?).
I personally believe every faculty of sciences should have a collaboration with international universities so as to furthermore there. I'm saying this because after school, this country has little or nothing to offer them (graduates of faculty of sciences) jobs that relate to their field of study.
A country's development is due to the standard of their institutions and research centres as well as the availability of resources. China is a very good example of such. We're all special in different ways, when just one aspect of so many aspects is used in judging one, you can't know the true potentials of one. So don't judge a graduate by their academic assessment in Nigeria. Thank you.

4 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by bigtt76(f): 4:22am On May 21, 2015
Make all 2:2 and 3rd class graduates trek go Abuja from their respective destinations in protest of this to go and see Buhari angry ....we can make it!

2 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Sanuzi(m): 4:39am On May 21, 2015
na true talk oooooo

Lets Talk:

Mobile/Whatsapp: 07038641600

BBM: 7B663F3A

www.africanwebservice.com

An expert in Blog Design,content management systems (CMS) such as
Webpagemaker,Frontpage, wordpress, joomla, drupal,
ecommerce platforms such as opencart, magento, Abante cart,WHMCS, prestashop.
Blogs:Ghost,serendipity,eggblog
Forums:SMF,Vanilla,phpBB,
Polls and Survey Sites:Limesurvey,littlepoll,piwik
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 5:16am On May 21, 2015
davidylan:

if you were that good, you wont be here complaining neither would you have graduated with less than a 2.1.
You deem it a bluff attacking a man, who your ilk has stylishly avoided war of words with, with your vapid, bland sentence. When will you get out of that hell hole of UBA, braggart? You need more than a sinner's grace to cast asperson on my person. School slaves! Instead of earning a name, you waste away earning salaries in companies. It will soon occur to you at night time that this umbrella you wield is a load.

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by justjify(m): 5:18am On May 21, 2015
CountDracula:
Eeya. Op ur child wil graduate univ wit 3rd class in Jesus name

Now I see why you have an empty skull. Who remove your chain?

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 5:23am On May 21, 2015
StealthIdeals:
You deem it a bluff attacking a man, who your ilk has stylishly avoid war of words with, with your vapid, bland sentence. When will you get out of that hell hole of UBA, braggart? You need more than a sinner's grace to cast asperson on my person.

it is not surprising that you came out with the grade you have. You seem so angry you could barely string coherent sentences together. Relax, calm down then come back and insult me again. Arguing with you is a lost point really... you called me a braggart, even though you're the one who just boasted that you could solve some 500 level math in your sleep. Its up to you to prove yourself. Talk is cheap, insults make you look small. I'm not sure where in UBA you saw me... i havent lived in nigeria for 10 years straight. You must be mixing me up with one of your old friends.

lol there is this funny idea that somehow working for a company is something to be sneered at. The funny thing is that if NNPC or Mobil offered you a position tomorrow, you would do the hypocritical thing and accept it. Have you made a name for yourself yet? I havent heard anything about you... you may need to blow your trumpet louder.

7 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 5:27am On May 21, 2015
davidylan:

it is not surprising that you came out with the grade you have. You seem so angry you could barely string coherent sentences together. Relax, calm down then come back and insult me again. Arguing with you is a lost point really... you called me a braggart, even though you're the one who just boasted that you could solve some 500 level math in your sleep. Its up to you to prove yourself. Talk is cheap, insults make you look small. I'm not sure where in UBA you saw me... i havent lived in nigeria for 10 years straight. You must be mixing me up with one of your old friends.

lol there is this funny idea that somehow working for a company is something to be sneered at. The funny thing is that if NNPC or Mobil offered you a position tomorrow, you would do the hypocritical thing and accept it. Have you made a name for yourself yet? I havent heard anything about you... you may need to blow your trumpet louder.
Read the sentences again. I hope you are not in Indonesia peddling drugs.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 5:35am On May 21, 2015
In summary believe in yourself no matter what your situation is.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Skywalker5(m): 5:55am On May 21, 2015
AreaFada2:

That's not always true.

The best jobs still go to 1.1 & 2.1. Even those jobs that advertise 2.2 minimum may eventually end up employing 2.1 and above only.

A friend graduated from a top UK university with 2.2. He didn't get good jobs. Until he got his MSc.

Bu I also know of a 1.1 girl from a top UK university who struggled to get a job initially (I guess it was her salary expectation) but landed a plum job later on. I was already advising her to go for a PhD before she got the job. Yes, it was still easier to skip MSc with a 1.1 then.

It depends on what you call best job.If you are talking about banks and some big organisations , then you are right but there are lots of SME companies in UK who have non graduates and pay very well.My former manger at my previous job was not a graduate and he was getting paid well.I know a lot of people in IT with no university degree but started as apprentice. All you need is for someone to give you that break and learn.Most organization dont discriminate when it comes to jobs.There are some jobs that needs a graduate and some dont need.In UK,experience counts more than certificate in most jobs. One of the top cyber security firms in the world that has a branch in UK still employs non-graduate as their technical analyst.it's not a required option but a preferred option for some roles.

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Archilouis(m): 6:11am On May 21, 2015
The major disadvantage is the fear of misplacement of priority.

To be extremely smart and dependable and finish a 4-5yr programme on an average or below average grade point tells the interviewer that you succumbed to distraction.

That fear alone is enough to not want to risk it, if the interviewer has a choice.

Most top multinationals, believe they have a choice, because they certainly do pay well above average.

3 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by lasheez(m): 6:19am On May 21, 2015
Look the big deal here shouldn't be overemphasized on the class but rather the department or Faculty.It surprises me when students of arts compare themselves with those of science.Has it been forgotten so soon that after JSSE exams 90% of the best results are those who go to read science based subjects ?So what then is this generalization of those with 2:1,22 and 3 rd class of different departments.For me if you read a course in Engineering and came out with a 3rd class,you can as well be compared with a 2:1 graduate from a department where the stress is not cumbersome.

5 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by falconey(m): 6:22am On May 21, 2015
qreem231:
are u a ladokite?

no I'm a balewite!
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by koife(m): 6:25am On May 21, 2015
Quite true...I finished my first degree with 2.2 but I took a fight back during my MSC and am gunning 4.5 as my final grade after thesis....I hate the uneccesary discrimination that goes on in labour market sphere. I pray something is done fast.

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Kristokx(m): 6:37am On May 21, 2015
CountDracula:

People can be so unreasonable what's your reason for making this statement Mtchew if u no get wetin to talk can't u just read and move on must u comment

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by CountDracula(m): 6:40am On May 21, 2015
Kristokx:

People can be so unreasonable what's your reason for making this statement Mtchew if u no get wetin to talk can't u just read and move on must u comment
Why did u hav to mention me? Wat benefit hav u gotten from all d trashtalk u jus did? U same some people are unreasonable, well newsflash; ure one of dem...
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by menshealth1234: 6:50am On May 21, 2015
END PREMATURE EJACULATIONN NOW!!!
Are you unable to last more than a few minutes in bed?
Have you ever felt embarrassed after having sexxx?
Has a woman ever made fun of you because of your poor "performance" in
bed?
Has a woman ever dumped you because you didn't satisfy her in bed?
Do you lack sexual confidence when you are around women?
IF YES, Then Logon To W WW. E N D P E . T K

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by tabolaji: 6:51am On May 21, 2015
haibe:
If I were an employer.. I would give everyone an equal chance.. An online test on the company website is a good way to cut down the numbers for those that will make the interview. This is better than giving only a few the chance....Good points OP

Do you know how that will impact your website? The reason employers request for certain grades is to cut the cost of conducting the recruitment exercise.

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by haibe(m): 6:55am On May 21, 2015
Archilouis:
The major disadvantage is the fear of misplacement of priority.

To be extremely smart and dependable and finish a 4-5yr programme on an average or below average grade point tells the interviewer that you succumbed to distraction.

That fear alone is enough to not want to risk it, if the interviewer has a choice.

Most top multinationals, believe they have a choice, because they certainly do pay well above average.
I bet u didn't finish in a serious federal university in Nigeria, if not u wont be saying this.. I know people that are far more experienced and intelligent than me in my field but finished with lower grades than me .. till today, they still put me through a lot in my field and I can never discriminate against them but when an employer sees them, he assumes I am better than them all because of these paper works we did in school. . Thats a warp mentality.

You won't appreciate some 3rd classes until u realise how far they are better than u.. some finished with this grades because they were hustling a lot for their school fees and feeding while in school, while some were just unfortunate (I know someone who had 59, 49 69s in majority; just one mark to get A B or C).. if this one mark was in place, he would surely finish with a 2:1.. Prejudice is just too bad because you may easily ignore a game changer in your organisation.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by haibe(m): 6:57am On May 21, 2015
tabolaji:

Do you know how that will impact your website? The reason employers request for certain grades is to cut the cost of conducting the recruitment exercise.

How will it impact please? And what costs are you talking of that wont also be incurred when you score several candidates in hard copy.. what costs please
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Lacoolmley: 7:04am On May 21, 2015
So by implication, you are saying those that made 1st class had no family issues, financial issues, etc. These ones have proven that they can have all those issues and still come out in flying colours. If someone says he is smart and then leaves his books to go have fun or improve his social status on campus, how is that anyone's business. At the end of the day he comes out and says he is smarter than those with 1st class. I am not saying 2.2 and 3rd class graduates are not smart, but when it comes to academic success, they should just accept that they didn't do well at that time of their lives and move on rather then try to belittle the academic achievement of the first class graduate.

4 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Jman06(m): 7:11am On May 21, 2015
Companies know better that it takes a lot of sacrifice and self discipline to graduate with a 1st class or 2-1, hence the priority on such graduates.
The reasoning is that if a graduate could be hardworking enough to maintain a 1st class or a 2-1 from 100level up to graduation, then he/she has the discipline required to succeed at workplace.
If you are still an undergrad and reading this, pls work hard to make the best possible grade. If not for anything, you will stand a chance to be called for tests/interviews.
For those with 2-2 or 3rd class, you can make yourselves more employable by garnering extra qualifications eg post grad qualifications, trainings in ICT, starting from little jobs that would add more work experiences to your CV etc.

3 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by cpapa: 7:14am On May 21, 2015
CountDracula:
. wats Ur child will graduate uni with 3rd class u Cant even speak well.

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by sharubutu(m): 7:15am On May 21, 2015
CountDracula:
Some people talk as if they reason with their anus. You're one of such.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by ThoniaSlim(f): 7:20am On May 21, 2015
Lacoolmley:
So by implication, you are saying those that made 1st class had no family issues, financial issues, etc. These ones have proven that they can have all those issues and still come out in flying colours. If someone says he is smart and then leaves his books to go have fun or improve his social status on campus, how is that anyone's business. At the end of the day he comes out and says he is smarter than those with 1st class. I am not saying 2.2 and 3rd class graduates are not smart, but when it comes to academic success, they should just accept that they didn't do well at that time of their lives and move on rather then try to belittle the academic achievement of the first class graduate.

God bless you! It gets on my freaking nerves when people make it look like your first class wasn't earned or is nothing due to their own personal insecurities!
I graduated top of my class and I can tell you it wasn't easy! Yes I was abroad but still I had to juggle between classes and a part time job. I basically had no social life especially in my final year!

I'm not saying those with less than a 2:1 aren't smart but seriously if you still in school, I beg you aim high! The opportunities and doors it opens is amazing. I'm on my third job since I graduated in 2013 and the opportunities keep coming that I'm the one turning them down.

6 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 7:23am On May 21, 2015
haibe:
"(sometimes discrimination against) distinct treatment of an individual or group to their disadvantage; treatment or consideration based on class or category rather than individual merit; partiality; prejudice; bigotry"

I got that from the dictionary. . Are u still insisting treating 3rd class graduates differently from 1st class is not discrimination? Dude it may be their choice but their choice is such that discriminates againts these class of people (2:2 3rd class Pass).. So what are you arguing here again, is it english language that is the problem? That you wont employ a third class is because you have pre-judged he doesnt have what it takes.. all this falls under the definition of discrimination as you can see above.

as I said earlier, one has not the right to tell an employer who or who not to employ. Sadly, you will find a disclaimer with " we are an equal opportunity employer ". This cancels out your discrimination argument already.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by haibe(m): 7:24am On May 21, 2015
majekdom2:
as I said earlier, one has not the right to tell an employer who or who not to employ. Sadly, you will find a disclaimer with " we are an equal opportunity employer ". This cancels out your discrimination argument already.
okay I see english is ur problem. . You may need to do a reasearch on the word discrimination
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Souljaboi1: 7:24am On May 21, 2015
falconey:
I'm an undergraduate in a science and technology university.

Its my school tradition to employ 1st class grads automatically as G.A.

B-TECH 2.2 and 3rd class are fire!!! I guess the discrimination is on B.S.C grads. Thou the OP didn't specify.

Sind Sie Ladokite ?
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 7:45am On May 21, 2015
haibe:
I bet u didn't finish in a serious federal university in Nigeria, if not u wont be saying this.. I know people that are far more experienced and intelligent than me in my field but finished with lower grades than me .. till today, they still put me through a lot in my field and I can never discriminate against them but when an employer sees them, he assumes I am better than them all because of these paper works we did in school. . Thats a warp mentality.

You won't appreciate some 3rd classes until u realise how far they are better than u.. some finished with this grades because they were hustling a lot for their school fees and feeding while in school, while some were just unfortunate (I know someone who had 59, 49 69s in majority; just one mark to get A B or C).. if this one mark was in place, he would surely finish with a 2:1.. Prejudice is just too bad because you may easily ignore a game changer in your organisation.
In the US, scoring 49 and 59 will earn u an F grade. 69 is a D grade, lower than a C (or C-).
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 7:45am On May 21, 2015
shadowgwalker:
guy abeg read the article. Stop disgracing Nigerians.
if you are an individual with great understanding skills, you will understand, I meant the topic itself is misleading as I don't see any discrimination. It's an employer's choice, all these rants on here would solve any poo. This pity seeking mentality is why some are still where they are.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Air Force : Successful Candidates For 2017 Recruit Training - Batch B / Nigerian Customs Recruitment 2015 / Nigerian Immigration Service Recruitment 2011

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.