Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,113 members, 7,814,908 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:53 PM

6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop - Jobs/Vacancies (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop (44520 Views)

FCSC: A Country Where 3rd Class Is Considered Above Msc + Bsc (2.1) / Discrimination Against Graduates From State Universities / Australia Government MSc Scholarship For Nigerians- 3rd Class Can Apply (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Mixty: 10:35am On May 21, 2015
themonk:
whats 1.1? never heard of that.
1.1 is first class
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 10:44am On May 21, 2015
Souljaboi1:

From gay shed to 1000LT. The hustle was real bro . I feel you.
Eh, Greatest Ladokite! How things na?
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by olu4life(m): 10:55am On May 21, 2015
Jarus:

I have never met an unemployed First Class (after at least 6 months post-NYSC)
*cough* Bruh I have a friend o. The only job she got was marketing which she had to quit. Thougg she almost got into Kpmg but couldnt make it to the final phase due to long distance and she asked for reschedule. They never got back to her. This was 2years after graduation o. Though, I told her to be prayerful sha
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by stupep: 11:05am On May 21, 2015
majekdom2:
not everyone wants to make good grades, if everyone wants to, you will not have cultist and runs babes all around campus. The deligent shall bear rule, shall stand before kings no matter the class of grade. He would still find a way.

Nonsense!!! Receive brain IJN
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Mixty: 11:08am On May 21, 2015
stupep:

grin grin grin grin No offense to anyone but that got me cracking. grin
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Mixty: 11:08am On May 21, 2015
stupep:

grin grin grin grin No offense to anyone but that got me cracking. grin
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Mexyz(m): 11:11am On May 21, 2015
Holatunde007:
Pls what's is the GPA difference btw 1.1, 2.1, 2.2 and 3rd class.......am a product of poly I can't really comprehend the usefulness of those num u pipu were mentioning, thou I pass my ND with Upper credit and with a GPA of 3.70, what could dis fall under if I were to be in uni?
3.5-4.49=2.1
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by ayofag(m): 11:15am On May 21, 2015
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by aulmatro: 11:17am On May 21, 2015
That's right on point.

Meanwhile check this out: 5 Things Every Student Must Bear In Mind Before Graduation...http://successflame.com/personal-development/5-things-every-student-must-bear-in-mind-before-graduation/
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 11:51am On May 21, 2015
olu4life:

*cough* Bruh I have a friend o. The only job she got was marketing which she had to quit. Thougg she almost got into Kpmg but couldnt make it to the final phase due to long distance and she asked for reschedule. They never got back to her. This was 2years after graduation o. Though, I told her to be prayerful sha
Interesting.

All the ones around me got good jobs, the least being commercial bank jobs.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by olafunny(m): 11:51am On May 21, 2015
CountDracula:
Eeya. Op ur child wil graduate univ wit 3rd class in Jesus name
you are simply an illiterate fool.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by CountDracula(m): 11:53am On May 21, 2015
olafunny:
you are simply an illiterate fool.
Loool. Anoda attention seekin coccydynia
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by ezo4fta(m): 12:36pm On May 21, 2015
Good grades are good when it is truly earned. It is not about having ist class or 2.1 but be ready to defend it. I am a 2.2 product. I got a job of recent. The company invited all applicants dat applied... 1.1,2.1,2.2 and 3rd class. 360 persons applied.the interview was to hold 4 2day. 180 applicant per day( 90 applicant in the morning batch and 90 in the afternoon batch. It was an open oral interview...u hv to answer questions holding a microphone in the presence of 90 persons and 3 interviewers. Alot of guys with 2.1 couldn't answer questions in their field of studies. The interviewers even ask dem how dey got their result. After that, was the written text (oral interview 30marks, application letter in not more than 60 words..10marks,maths 30marks,English 20marks,current affair 10marks. The oral interview is very compulsory...if u didn't pass the oral then no employment. Out of 360 persons, they called only 30 for the training.i am a product of 2.2 and so many 2.1 didn't make it. Stop putting too much hope on ur result rather start working on urself..wat u hv upstairs matters.

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by AreaFada2: 12:44pm On May 21, 2015
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
Skywalker5:

It depends on what you call best job.If you are talking about banks and some big organisations , then you are right but there are lots of SME companies in UK who have non graduates and pay very well.My former manger at my previous job was not a graduate and he was getting paid well.I know a lot of people in IT with no university degree but started as apprentice. All you need is for someone to give you that break and learn.Most organization dont discriminate when it comes to jobs.There are some jobs that needs a graduate and some dont need.In UK,experience counts more than certificate in most jobs. One of the top cyber security firms in the world that has a branch in UK still employs non-graduate as their technical analyst.it's not a required option but a preferred option for some roles.
. Again you're quoting few cases which are exceptions these days. How many openings are there for apprentices in top telco companies? Don't 4get that until mid 90s, graduates were not that many. If some had technical training with Sky or BT 25 years ago, that was quite normal then. Most firms have graduate schemes now but very few apprentice scheme. Even most recruitment agencies and estate agents now require a degree. Just browse monster or guardian jobs. In any case, the topic wasn't about whether there is any need to go to uni or not but about degree class. If one thinks doing MCSE is enough to land well-paying IT jobs, why do a degree then?
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Agbegilodo: 1:17pm On May 21, 2015
Mixty:

Did you read the article at all? I am sure you are one of those dumb ass people who will quickly jump to writing answers without reading the question. The Op graduated with a strong 2.1 and is gainfully employed.
See has 2:2 peeps dey gang up against me o.....

2 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Skywalker5(m): 1:38pm On May 21, 2015
AreaFada2:
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]. Again you're quoting few cases which are exceptions these days. How many openings are there for apprentices in top telco companies? Don't 4get that until mid 90s, graduates were not that many. If some had technical training with Sky or BT 25 years ago, that was quite normal then. Most firms have graduate schemes now but very few apprentice scheme. Even most recruitment agencie[/b]s and estate agents now require a degree. Just browse monster or guardian jobs. In any case, the topic wasn't about whether there is any need to go to uni or not but about degree class. If one thinks doing MCSE is enough to land well-paying IT jobs, [b]why do a degree then?

In countries like UK, you don't need a degree to get a job (well not all jobs).You are using telecom companies as examples. Those ones are different.what about other SME companies?I know a technical analyst without a degree or certification who works for a cyber security firm. Its everywhere. i use IT as an example because that's the field i know but i also know project managers who don't have degrees in UK. During interview, they evaluate you and see if you are a good fit for roles.
Recruitment agencies don't require degrees. That's the mistake most Nigerians that graduate in the UK make and they complain that they don't get jobs. You'll see a Nigerian with CV full of certifications and schools but no experience.Certificate is preferred but not required. Recruitment agencies will look for experience first which is why most people go for apprenticeship. You don't need to be a graduate to find apprenticeship jobs.Any college student can apply.

Now i am not saying you dont need a degree to work in places like Lloyds bank or Virgin Atlantic. what i am saying is that you can still get an ideal job or professional job without degree.You just have to prove that you know what you are doing and can fit in.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by mikolo80: 2:08pm On May 21, 2015
haibe:
If I were an employer.. I would give everyone an equal chance.. An online test on the company website is a good way to cut down the numbers for those that will make the interview. This is better than giving only a few the chance....Good points OP
500 000 apply for nnpc job,bank interview causes go slow in lagos,immigration applicants filled all the stadia in nigeria.

as a small business do you think you can afford the bandwith/server required to sift through this mass of job seekers without running your human resource budget aground

they should just accept their fate and enter farm or go learn handwork

its not fair but thats the life that we living(survival of the 2.1 and above)
its sad but it is what it is ,a fricking time bomb

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nasri100(m): 3:34pm On May 21, 2015
mikolo80:
500 000 apply for nnpc job,bank interview causes go slow in lagos,immigration applicants filled all the stadia in nigeria.

as a small business do you think you can afford the bandwith/server required to sift through this mass of job seekers without running your human resource budget aground

they should just accept their fate and enter farm or go learn handwork

its not fair but thats the life that we living(survival of the 2.1 and above)
its sad but it is what it is ,a fricking time bomb

Who should enter farm and work? The 2:1, 2:2 or 3rd class? Smh. Nigerian mentality. If you a graduate with a degree and cant pull your own weight, you an embarrassment.

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Skywalker5(m): 3:38pm On May 21, 2015
Nasri100:

Who should enter farm and work? The 2:1, 2:2 or 3rd class? Smh. Nigerian mentality. If you a graduate with a degree and cant pull your own weight, you an embarrassment.

That's why there is so much unemployment in Nigeria. They feel they have to work for someone because of 1st class and 2.1
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Tjayjosh(m): 3:43pm On May 21, 2015
ThoniaSlim:

God bless you! It gets on my freaking nerves when people make it look like your first class wasn't earned or is nothing due to their own personal insecurities!
I graduated top of my class and I can tell you it wasn't easy! Yes I was abroad but still I had to juggle between classes and a part time job. I basically had no social life especially in my final year!

I'm not saying those with less than a 2:1 aren't smart but seriously if you still in school, I beg you aim high! The opportunities and doors it opens is amazing. I'm on my third job since I graduated in 2013 and the opportunities keep coming that I'm the one turning them down.
"what you are emotionally is what you are!" may be too strong a statement to true, but its close. Let me be straight. What the op is saying in this context is that no matter hw intelligent a person is, when he gets emotionally upset he cannot think in an orderly fashion. Emotion can break his concentration and stifle his creativity. Some people's minds are totally dominated by their emotion. How you deal with your problem is different from the way other pple do. Am surprised that you graduated top of your class and still do not know that nobody is exactly like you in this world.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by ThoniaSlim(f): 5:05pm On May 21, 2015
Tjayjosh:

"what you are emotionally is what you are!" may be too strong a statement to true, but its close. Let me be straight. What the op is saying in this context is that no matter hw intelligent a person is, when he gets emotionally upset he cannot think in an orderly fashion. Emotion can break his concentration and stifle his creativity. Some people's minds are totally dominated by their emotion. How you deal with your problem is different from the way other pple do. Am surprised that you graduated top of your class and still do not know that nobody is exactly like you in this world.

On the internet you can be whatever you want. Still amazes me that some people choose to be st*upid.

The fact you started a sentence with "AM" instead of "I AM" or "I'M" is appalling and I suppose you're a graduate? Shocking! shocked

By the way, you questioning my grades doesn't change it and the opportunities that I get as a result of it. So fade away dobby! cool grin

3 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by PreciousGem(f): 5:27pm On May 21, 2015
@op I don't know what state u are but in my state they prefer 2.2 and 3rd class more than those with very good and excellent result.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by mikolo80: 6:11pm On May 21, 2015
Nasri100:

Where you de work? Jets start from there. No lie o

and our graduates are not embarrassments ,they are simply doing what they were programmed /trained to do and admirably if you're being objective
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nasri100(m): 6:26pm On May 21, 2015
mikolo80:

and our graduates are not embarrassments ,they are simply doing what they were programmed /trained to do and admirably if you're being objective

19, 300 Level, studying Industrial Physics. CGPA is 3.90. Also a paid writer for Information Nigeria, Premium Times and Pulse Ng. More details?
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nasri100(m): 6:34pm On May 21, 2015
mikolo80:

And I quoted you earlier because of your ludicrous assertion. I am not even out of the school system but advising people below 2:1 to seek menial jobs is quite deluded with no adequate proof or backup to it. Yeah they miss out on top-notch companies like Chevron, KPMG e.t.c. Aside that, you telling me other companies don't ask for 2:2 and below?

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Mixty: 6:36pm On May 21, 2015
PreciousGem:
@op I don't know what state u are but in my state they prefer 2.2 and 3rd class more than those with very good and excellent result.
You must have come from an extremely backward state for them to prefer 2.2 and 3rd class. I am sure the jobs are low paying and possibly menial/ slave work. The 2.1 and first class graduates have all gone to the more developed states to seek for better opportunity.
What state is that? Zamfara, Borno, Yobe?

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nasri100(m): 6:53pm On May 21, 2015
Mixty:

You must have come from an extremely backward state for them to prefer 2.2 and 3rd class. I am sure the jobs are low paying and possibly menial/ slave work. The 2.1 and first class graduates have all gone to the more developed states to seek for better opportunity.

I don't agree with her post, but what about the Bankers, 2:1 collecting 24k per month. You didn't come across the topic on Nairaland?
Stop tagging Nigeria as a perfect country.

If my certificate (Industrial Physics 2:1) won't fetch me atleast 150k a month, (anything less is a farce), I would gladly become an entrepreneur, actually what I plan to do after school.

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by takleboy(m): 7:17pm On May 21, 2015
Xfire is around watching from 3D, let see how he responds to some of these comments. Iam Waiting by o
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by PreciousGem(f): 7:17pm On May 21, 2015
Mixty:

I won't tell u d state so u don't over criticized it but truth be told am very angry with that state cos its my state and with my 2.1 upper distinction am yet to get a job because of the way they do things.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Mixty: 7:26pm On May 21, 2015
PreciousGem:

I won't tell u d state so u don't over criticized it but truth be told am very angry with that state cos its my state and with my 2.1 upper distinction am yet to get a job because of the way they do things.
Your English is damn poor mehn..You will find it hard to get a a good job if you can't string a good sentence undecided
Besides, what school awards students "Upper Distinction"

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by AreaFada2: 7:52pm On May 21, 2015
Skywalker5:

In countries like UK, you don't need a degree to get a job (well not all jobs).You are using telecom companies as examples. Those ones are different.what about other SME companies?I know a technical analyst without a degree or certification who works for a cyber security firm. Its everywhere. i use IT as an example because that's the field i know but i also know project managers who don't have degrees in UK. During interview, they evaluate you and see if you are a good fit for roles.
Recruitment agencies don't require degrees. That's the mistake most Nigerians that graduate in the UK make and they complain that they don't get jobs. You'll see a Nigerian with CV full of certifications and schools but no experience.Certificate is preferred but not required. Recruitment agencies will look for experience first which is why most people go for apprenticeship. You don't need to be a graduate to find apprenticeship jobs.Any college student can apply.

Now i am not saying you dont need a degree to work in places like Lloyds bank or Virgin Atlantic. what i am saying is that you can still get an ideal job or professional job without degree.You just have to prove that you know what you are doing and can fit in.

I know people who work in those agents and the qualification needed were clear before they applied.

Clearly, if a person has no degree but has 5 or 10 years experience in a similar role, he's likely going to be considered as 10 years can even be equated with a master's degree.
Roles that do not do compulsorily require specific acedemic degrees (like Vet, Med, Pharm, Nursing, Educ, etc) can be sometimes flexible.
Nobody is saying you cannot get jobs without a degree. Even people are working in 9ja without degrees.

But clearly, a sound degree gives an average person more options.

I trained fully in Europe, both initial degree and later in a profession that gives you quasi an automatic employment.
I'm very familiar with how previous coursemates (British, Irish, Scandinavians, continental Europeans,Japanese, Americans, etc) searched for work. I was even the only 9ja bred Nigerian during my degree course. So the idea of Nigerians making mistake about job search is a generalisation. True most of my ex-coursemates work in blue chip companies as far as I know.

There were many career fairs in my university, with both blue chip and SMEs attending. Those who got 2.1 or 1.1 and a few with a very high 2.2 got those jobs on graduation.

I remember the struggle of many 2.2 former coursemates, even from a Russel group university.

As for experience, I did summer internship in a hospital. Mos of my foreign colleagues were enjoying their holiday. Even though I didn't even work with the degree before progressing to other training.

Most academically minded Nigerians abroad are more enlightened about preparation/job search than you think.

In seminars and other fora for CPD, there are always Nigerians there.

For example, many TOP hospital managers I know have a decent degree in sociology, philosophy, management, etc. Only some older ones didn't have.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by mikolo80: 9:01pm On May 21, 2015
Nasri100:

And I quoted you earlier because of your ludicrous assertion. I am not even out of the school system but advising people below 2:1 to seek menial jobs is quite deluded with no adequate proof or backup to it. Yeah they miss out on top-notch companies like Chevron, KPMG e.t.c. Aside that, you telling me other companies don't ask for 2:2 and below?
Like I alluded to our graduates are doing well at what they are trained to do(cannon fodder for the capitalist system) aka very insanely cheap labor.
They told me I carry shoulder up(former officer cadet pride)

I am telling you(alone civilian graduate to be) you de carry shoulder up

if I had listened I would not have sat home for almost 4years

I would be a boss(selling ordinary recharge card or kerosene)

instead I am a minion in a library trying to start kerosene biz that I could have done and been farming 4times what I am now so if you like keep saying you're a graduate so you won't do menial Jobs that pay na slave work like op own de wait una

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Elf/total Is Recruiting Now! [from Today's Papers] / Air Force : Successful Candidates For 2017 Recruit Training - Batch B / Nigerian Customs Recruitment 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.