Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,739 members, 7,817,038 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:15 AM

King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] (75195 Views)

Ooni Of Ogunwusi & King Jaja Of Opobo Pictured / Epic Photo Of King Jaja Of Opobo / Hero:king JAJA OF OPOBO Full Biography,history Battle With The British(pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by samsard(m): 8:41am On May 21, 2015
Ozize:

Mr. Man, I guess you didnt even know that blacks were not the only people selling themselves out, Europeans did, the Arabs also did. By the way, you claim we were primitive but what's your proof. Its probably gotten from reading one sided subjective history books written by bourgeiose Europeans. Read about true African history and stop flaunting your ignorance.
Have you ever seen me reading history books written by the so called European bourgeiose? if no then keep your trash where it belongs. And your use of the word bourgeiose shows your bias already. And I am well aware of the fact that virtually every race has sold it's brothers into slavery but obviously the repercussions of the black man's actions are still being felt up till this moment
Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by donspero(m): 8:41am On May 21, 2015
King jaja was a fraud star, manipulated pple into thinking he was a saint,but while he did was sale his own pple to fill his own pocket... Funny how must of this celebrated pple around the world are wolf's in sheep clothing.

3 Likes

Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by samsard(m): 8:43am On May 21, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Slavery is as old as man. People all over the world have enslaved and sold others. Trans atlantic slavery is just a recent memory/record of slavery. Just trying to correct the impression that blacks are semi primitive cos of slavery. Whites have sold whites,blacks have sold blacks. Unfortunately,the Western media keeps pushing black on black slavery above the rest.
I saw an argument that seemed to portray blacks as being somehow morally superior which I was obviously trying to counter.
Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by peleson: 8:45am On May 21, 2015
We don't have empirical evidence those were his wives! Women then wore clothes just as the king himself wore! The king has a white bloodline! King Jaja the 5th!

1 Like

Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by baralatie(m): 8:45am On May 21, 2015
the picture is a fake
Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by Cryxtal(f): 8:45am On May 21, 2015
Beremx:
God bless whoever invented Bra. I just can't imagine walking without a bra. I just can't imagine that!
I tell you
Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by MKO4ever(m): 8:46am On May 21, 2015
lonelydora:

I see no hour glass shape in any of them

Some of them look like male. and that King had already damaged their booby finished

1 Like

Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by BOWOTO(m): 8:46am On May 21, 2015
Nicepoker:
are u A racist?
No sir.
Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by Ihuomadinihu: 8:46am On May 21, 2015
samsard:
I saw an argument that seemed to portray blacks as being somehow morally superior which I was obviously trying to counter.
Wearing clothes doesn't exemplify superiority either. What you accuse blacks of,were already encountered in Western civilization.
Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by bornmekus: 8:47am On May 21, 2015
saintneo:
The tallest of the wives, the second standing from the right has a modern babe's body. Flat tummy, good bréãsts, tall, an hourglass shape; she could pass for a model.
King Jaja has eyes for good women.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2432273_jaja_jpeg070321c466aff3fbdab1b2765b26a296
Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by invincible007(m): 8:47am On May 21, 2015
Oh yeah, thanks to civilization. But, the same civilization +fashion is slowly crossfading the mode of dressing back to this era. Haven't you guys heard of girls posing Braless. All Boomerang.
Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by BOWOTO(m): 8:47am On May 21, 2015
Dollyak:

I am sorry but your statement screams ignorance. I wonder if you hold the same thought towards your family.

Ignorance is bliss.
Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by lomprico(m): 8:49am On May 21, 2015
baby124:
Igbo grand mother's cheesy. Where are those tribal it's. If you like come and deny. Later when a new thread springs up you will claim king jaja was Igbo.
He is actually igbo. A slave boy sold in opobo. Do ur research.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by BOWOTO(m): 8:49am On May 21, 2015
BlackOnassis:

but these are not girls now. these are women, probably middle-aged women.
Maybe, but let's thank God for civilization.
Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by Ihuomadinihu: 8:53am On May 21, 2015
peleson:
We don't have empirical evidence those were his wives! Women then wore clothes just as the king himself wore! The king has a white bloodline! King Jaja the 5th!
From the little we know,women tied wrapper. One for the chest and one for the waist. It was optional not to cover the bosom. Wearing Elizabethan gowns does not make you superior or advanced. Ironically,people with the greatest civilization wore little or no clothes. Read up on Eqyptian,Mespotamia and Indus valley civilization. This European civilization reaped off from others after descending from the Caucus mountains/central asia.
It's even more ironic that white people are going back to nudity after asking Africans to cover up. How Shameful!

1 Like

Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by DBlackCeazer(m): 9:01am On May 21, 2015
nwaanambra1:

wao! thats good to know. are they still among the ruling class in their region? are they still recognised as princes and princess in their region? where they able to maintain their great grand fathers wealth [back then king jaja was almost richer than the queen of england].

pls do they still have personal details of king jaja?
wao!ok,answer to first question is no,Mr. Jaja works with NPA,only thing that links him to royalty is his lastname,he is like every other working man.He is quite comfortable,but its his hard work that earned him his status.A few rich siblings,but its def. from their own work.

1 Like

Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by Abagworo(m): 9:01am On May 21, 2015
Jaja was an Igbo from Amaigbo in Imo State sold to slavery but rose to become free as a result of his business acumen. When he fell out with his hosts he founded Opobo alongside his allies from Bonny . Opobo speaks Igbo till today even though some people are trying to rewrite history and impose Bonny language on them.

The beauty of Jaja's story is that it happened in modern age where history has started being recorded.
Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by emma510: 9:01am On May 21, 2015
donspero:
King jaja was a fraud star, manipulated pple into thinking he was a saint,but while he did was sale his own pple to fill his own pocket... Funny how must of this celebrated pple around the world are wolf's in sheep clothing.

Another ignorant one, King Jaja never sold any one that does not deserve to be sold and the decision to sell in collectively made. He was a slave himself. Back in those days people that are witches, thieves, deviants were sold into slavery, better than firing squad, check well your great great grandfather may be one of the fraudsters sold back in the day.

3 Likes

Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by Dollyak(f): 9:04am On May 21, 2015
BOWOTO:

Ignorance is bliss.
I am glad you agree to your weakness, that's the first step. Now, go and change.
Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by Nobody: 9:07am On May 21, 2015
Beremx:
God bless whoever invented Bra. I just can't imagine walking without a bra. I just can't imagine that!

that's because you ve been wearing it ever since you developed ****. I bet if you were living then, you'd be as comfortable as you are now. Or even more (That why you take them off at night)
Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by LasoulMacuby(m): 9:11am On May 21, 2015
Chai! Chai! Chai!
Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by TheRealAdonye(m): 9:11am On May 21, 2015
The only Opobians with Igbo ancestry are the DIRECT descendants of King Jaja which compared to the rest of the Opobo people are very small.
I have nothing against the language, Hell, I even speak it. However, saying you don't expect them to take up the language of where they live and what was spoken by their Ancestor, our Ancestor, The language they name their children with (My name is an Ibani one but my father doesn't speak a word), The language they give Titles in (Senibo, AmaopuSenibo, Alabo and Amanyanabo are all Ibani) etc is insulting to say the least.
Ihuomadinihu:
No igbo dialect is mainstream apart the ones adopted as central igbo dialects. There are opobians with igbo ancestry,i don't expect them to take up Ibani language.

2 Likes

Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by faithogos(f): 9:12am On May 21, 2015
As dey we're, if dey we're on bra n gud cloth, dey r angels! because dey we're d best in der tym. So dis is real? No 1da in UST cultural day recently in Rivers state, one of der gals was dressed like king Jaja's wives n it was so 1dafu n she stood out in d public.

Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by obi123: 9:13am On May 21, 2015
those are breasts that have nursed,i respect how they are very comfortable with their bodies.
Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by BOWOTO(m): 9:14am On May 21, 2015
Dollyak:

I am glad you agree to your weakness, that's the first step. Now, go and change.

You should have just ignored my post and move on, I dunno why you're disturbing yourself. Leave me!
Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by BOWOTO(m): 9:15am On May 21, 2015
obi123:
those are breasts that have nursed,i respect how they are very comfortable with their bodies.
Comfortable? This was their royal attire.
Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by Ihuomadinihu: 9:15am On May 21, 2015
TheRealAdonye:
The only Opobians with Igbo ancestry are the DIRECT descendants of King Jaja which compared to the rest of the Opobo people are very small.
I have nothing against the language, Hell, I even speak it. However, saying you don't expect them to take up the language of where they live and what was spoken by their Ancestor, our Ancestor, The language they name their children with (My name is an Ibani one but my father doesn't speak a word), The language they give Titles in (Senibo, AmaopuSenibo, Alabo and Amanyanabo are all Ibani) etc is insulting to say the least.
Am talking about the ones with real igbo ancestry. My comment doesn't have anything to do with people that spoke the ibani language originally. Jaja was not the only Igbo in opobo though.

3 Likes

Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by obi123: 9:15am On May 21, 2015
BOWOTO:

Comfortable? This was their royal attire.

non the less comfortable
Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by AreaFada2: 9:17am On May 21, 2015
ichidodo:
Ofcourse yes,He was an igbo from our own river basin,how do you suppose he became a big chief middleman with exclusive european trading rights on firearms,firewhisky,slaves and palmoil?Only a strategic business thinker can have extensive contacts reaching deep into the igbo heartland down to the coast across different clans and trade routes up to the ports of Liverpool,Rotterdam,Southampton,Lisbon etc.Even to this day,his birthplace people and region are still in the business of supplyin 100% of Nigeria's palm oil need.
. Word. But the palm oil need 100% is not accurate. Nigeria's first NIFOR and HQ is near Benin on Edo state. Palm is popular plantation on Edo down to Delta. Urhobo traditionally process palm oil. Banga soup is very popular there still. Yes. East produces more palm oil than elsewhere.
Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by emma510: 9:18am On May 21, 2015
donspero:
@ donspero
They only sold thieves, deviants and fraudsters, ur great great grandfather may be one of them.

2 Likes

Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by Dronedude(m): 9:23am On May 21, 2015
VickyRotex:
Seriously? And those women were comfortable that way? angry

Thanks to Civilization undecided

You would have been comfortable then.

2 Likes

Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by braine(m): 9:23am On May 21, 2015
saintneo:
The tallest of the wives, the second standing from the right has a modern babe's body. Flat tummy, good bréãsts, tall, an hourglass shape; she could pass for a model.
King Jaja has eyes for good women.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2432273_jaja_jpeg070321c466aff3fbdab1b2765b26a296

the quality of this photo amazes me. Seems to be clearer than modern day black n white.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! / Wells Carlton Hotel Staff Prostrate To Welcome Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi / Ooni Adeyeye-Ogunwusi Remarries As Marriage Crashes - SDK (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.