Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,862 members, 7,810,291 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:49 AM

King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] (75100 Views)

Ooni Of Ogunwusi & King Jaja Of Opobo Pictured / Epic Photo Of King Jaja Of Opobo / Hero:king JAJA OF OPOBO Full Biography,history Battle With The British(pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by rabimlomo: 10:34am On May 21, 2015
VickyRotex:
Seriously? And those women were comfortable that way? angry

Thanks to Civilization undecided

We are going back to those times in terms of dressing cheesy

1 Like

Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by centjamie(m): 10:36am On May 21, 2015
ERODEDEAST:
Ayeeeee Jaja Jawara

Taa!!! Obote

No be the same person
Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by Gamesmart: 10:37am On May 21, 2015
customized07:
The women look like men, why?

Because the have no weave-on.
Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by Gamesmart: 10:43am On May 21, 2015
amnesty7:
No wonder some parts of Nigeria worship the White Man. If as recent as 1870s the elite's wives were dressing like this, what of their common people?

This confirms that Ijaw women did not use to wear upper clothes until the white man came.

Thank God for the white man. Imagine we had to watch Patience Jonathan topless. shocked shocked shocked

Nigeria's population would probably have halved from 170m as many would just commit suicide.
Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by Abba999(f): 10:48am On May 21, 2015
TheRealAdonye:
That's true. Our Igbo isn't mainstream but we hear other dialects.
And the Igbo we speak was formed because of the trade in Palm oil with the people of Ndoki and Azumini. We learnt the language because of trade.

The main language in Opobo is supposed to be Ibani which is akin to what is spoken by the Kalabari but Alas, almost everyone speaks our dialect of Igbo now.
However, a conscious effort is being made to bring back Ibani as a language understood and spoken by Opobians.

You think you can rewrite history. Keep twisting your ancestors into nothing. undecided
Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by Ibrahimmrfish(m): 10:48am On May 21, 2015
Just 1870 and they still walk naked and they have d nerve,to call others primitive.
Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by saintneo(m): 10:49am On May 21, 2015
juliusogedengbe:

nna d first one standing from the left......hmmmm. dat girl, sorry woman look like ojuju sha ooo

Nnaaa mehn!
Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by Nobody: 10:52am On May 21, 2015
[quote author=VickyRotex post=33941609]Seriously? And those women were comfortable that way? angryqoute

Thanks to Civilization :- thanks to civiligation indeed. scroll down and see

U see, Islamic women have been civilised decades before this, they cover all part of their precious body.

How I wish he was a Muslim, dis would have not happened to dis women.
Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by saintneo(m): 10:52am On May 21, 2015
eightsin:

No we weren't looking at d same pic. The tallest is 2nd from the left n not right. She got nice boobs.. des cucumber boobs.

Thanks .... corrected .... kinda always forget how picture orientation stuff are labelled.
Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by Geesanni: 10:52am On May 21, 2015
TELL UR PPLE MK DEM NO DEY LIE AGAIN.HELL FIRE IS REAL,ALL LIARS SHALL GO TO HELL FIRE
ichidodo:
Bad belle is allowed...
Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by somegirl1: 10:54am On May 21, 2015
baby124:
Oh, Igbo women are naturally light skinned wink. I feel like mocking the tribalists today

Were Jaja's wives Igbo?

1 Like

Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by Abba999(f): 10:54am On May 21, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:
No igbo dialect is mainstream apart the ones adopted as central igbo dialects. There are opobians with igbo ancestry,i don't expect them to take up Ibani language.

kiss Darling thank you for exposing that 'ignoramus" lipsrsealed

This is one useless thing about black people especially Nigerians, they'll do their best in ethnic propaganda. undecided

1 Like

Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by Nobody: 10:58am On May 21, 2015
zendy:

Some people may not know it but King Jaja of Opobo was an Igbo slave from Orlu in present day Imo state who was sold into slavery. I read somewhere that they still speak some form of Igbo in Opobo.
. Stop misquoting history. He was from AMAIGBO in present day Imo state
Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by prophetfire: 10:59am On May 21, 2015
MrBasketball:
Clown grin
what's your interest?Is the bre'ast your own?
Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by somegirl1: 11:00am On May 21, 2015
TheEqualizer:

Ha!

No, Ibos were the only nak3d ones. Others have been wearing clothes since time immemorial. And this thread also proves that. Or do you want me to post the pictures of other tribes in Nigeria, in 1870, and compare them to this one and other pictures of Ibos?

Opobo is Igbo land now because it suits your agenda and would revert to being Rivers Ijaw in a political thread. Funny.

7 Likes

Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by Nobody: 11:00am On May 21, 2015
Ibrahimmrfish:
Just 1870 and they still walk naked and they have d nerve,to call others primitive.
. 1870 is not JUST. Can you post pictures of your ancestors then for us to see
Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by femi4: 11:04am On May 21, 2015
Beremx:
God bless whoever invented Bra. I just can't imagine walking without a bra. I just can't imagine that!
Its already in my imagination
Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by femi4: 11:05am On May 21, 2015
Ishilove:
Why is it that 90% of the posters on this thread are men?

Men ehn, una no dey use eye see boobs. Una must vibrate. Mscheeeew.
You no go understand, just try and be man for 1hr
Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by Nobody: 11:11am On May 21, 2015
VickyRotex:
Seriously? And those women were comfortable that way? angry

Thanks to Civilization undecided
thanks to civilization indeed.

Muslim women have been civilised decades b4 dis era. they have been covering since before this time.

how I wish he was a Muslim, this would have not happened to this women.
Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by Abba999(f): 11:13am On May 21, 2015
robosky02:

come who posted this RUBBISH

thats misleading

king JAJA was very rich and was acclaimed to be the first richest nigerian the Bight of Biafra due to his trading in palm oil and slaves as at then

in fact when those women were neked JAJA wives were dressing link the queen of england.

see true picture below and go to for details...

https://www.nairaland.com/2313480/amazing-pictures-nigerias-past

And please there were no Nigeria as at then. What existed then was the Bight of Biafra.

3 Likes

Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by robosky02(m): 11:18am On May 21, 2015
Abba999:

And please there were no Nigeria as at then. What existed then was the Bight of Biafra.

please remove all this your biafran talk here.

it was actually the coastal states as in niger delta which is now part of nigeria
Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by ddefoe: 11:23am On May 21, 2015
robosky02:

welcome to Opobo our inlaw.
thank u my inlaw! God bless u
Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by Abba999(f): 11:26am On May 21, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Nigerians were all going around naked. The oldest fabrics in Africa were only found in Mali,Burkina faso and the South east,that explains the people that were going around naked before they learnt how to weave clothes from Malians and Igbos. I think i have had enough of your tribalistic bigotry from the other thread. No reasonable person wallows in ignorance after being trashed repeatedly.

Darling, just ignore him, he's one of those "ignoramus" lipsrsealed lipsrsealed in NL. undecided
Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by otr1(m): 11:27am On May 21, 2015
At about the time this picture was taken, it's been about 2 centuries since slaves in my Hometown stopped dressing like these women men.
*spits*
Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by Ibrahimmrfish(m): 11:31am On May 21, 2015
ubecharles:
. 1870 is not JUST. Can you post pictures of your ancestors then for us to see

No photo at that time in the north,but every person with functioning brain known that 80% of northern tribes have been wearing clothes,for more than a thousand year.Why do you think we have the second largest slaves population after America, they were use in Cotton plantation. We use to have the largest textile industry pre-colonize sub Sahara Africa. So yes 100% sure my ancestors don't look like this.
Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by Abba999(f): 11:39am On May 21, 2015
robosky02:

please remove all this your keep biafran talk here.

it was actually the coastal states as in niger delta which is now part of nigeria

shocked shocked shocked na so e pain yo reach grin cheesy grin
(In Baba Oso' voice) If u like "go&die"!!! that's what your history says! Deal with it tongue

1 Like 1 Share

Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by zendy: 11:51am On May 21, 2015
ubecharles:
. Stop misquoting history. He was from AMAIGBO in present day Imo state

The book that I read about king Jaja was written before the creation of Imo state. As at that time,there were no states or Local Governments. What we had was districts or divisions. Amaigbo was in old Orlu division which comprised Oru,Njaba,Isu and others.
Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by ishiamu(m): 11:54am On May 21, 2015
Beremx:
God bless whoever invented Bra. I just can't imagine walking without a bra. I just can't imagine that!

Cos you got a flacid breast, way past its limit

1 Like

Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by shizzleStar: 12:22pm On May 21, 2015
booqee:
eewww

sheybi ibo girls are naturally fair... grin
yes they are. If you had a functional brain, you would observe that the picture was taken in the late 18th century when even having a black and white camera was a luxury.... alas you are genetically too stewpid to realise that
Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by Nobody: 12:23pm On May 21, 2015
braine:

the quality of this photo amazes me. Seems to be clearer than modern day black n white.
. Pin hole camera
Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by shizzleStar: 12:25pm On May 21, 2015
ishiamu:

Cos you got a flacid breast, way past its limit
lwkmd grin
Nice siggy bruv. Viva los Blancos. Hala Madrid!!! cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! / Wells Carlton Hotel Staff Prostrate To Welcome Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi / Ooni Adeyeye-Ogunwusi Remarries As Marriage Crashes - SDK (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.