Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,720 members, 7,809,734 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:06 PM

I Conceded Defeat To Prevent Crisis – Jonathan (punch) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Conceded Defeat To Prevent Crisis – Jonathan (punch) (25228 Views)

Houseboy, Driver's Names Used To Open $15m Accounts For Patience Jonathan- Punch / Real Reasons I Conceded To Buhari —jonathan / Why I Conceded Defeat To Buhari – Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Conceded Defeat To Prevent Crisis – Jonathan (punch) by Islie: 1:32am On May 21, 2015
President Goodluck Jonathan on Wednesday said he conceded defeat to Muhammadu Buhari in the March 28 presidential election because of his desire to keep the country away from conflict.

He said having been involved in solving many problems in African countries for more than five years, he knew the enormity and cost of conflicts and would not want Nigeria to witness such.

A statement by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Dr. Reuben Abati, quoted the President as speaking while receiving members of the African Ambassadors’ Group, who were on a farewell and solidarity visit to his boss at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

He said he would always be committed to strengthening democracy in Nigeria and Africa.

Jonathan added that his decision to concede defeat was to show example to the world that democracy could survive and thrive in Africa without conflict.

The President said, “I believe that character matters in leadership. And it is not just about who becomes the President of a country, but somebody has to be there and the person needs the support of all to succeed.

“I made a choice to keep the country away from conflict.

“I have always advised other African leaders that we will need to have a country before we can have the ambition to become President.

“We don’t have to expose our people to deaths because we want to stay in power. Some people hold on to power, may be, for fear of the unknown.”

The President recalled working extensively for more than five years with other African leaders to forestall crisis in some African countries, especially in the West African sub-region.

He also said he led peace efforts in some of the countries like Cote ‘d’Ivoire, Mali and Guinea Bissau.

“I have been involved in solving many problems in African countries for more than five years and I know the enormity and cost of conflicts, especially on the citizenry. We cannot afford that in Nigeria.

“If we were to have a political conflict in Nigeria, I am not sure the sub-region will be able to accommodate our citizens.

“My commitment is to always put the country before my personal ambition and that is what I have demonstrated,” he added.

Jonathan then called on the global community and Nigerians to support the incoming government of Buhari.

He said the incoming government would need the cooperation and commitment of the global community and Nigerians to effectively deliver on its promises to the people.

“The President-elect is not new to governance in Africa so I want you to show the same commitment to him as you have to me. The President-elect knows that our commitment is always to project Africa. I am urging you to extend the same warmth and solidarity you have shown to me to him,’’ he said.

The President further enjoined African leaders to encourage trade within the continent by building infrastructures and institutions that could promote trade and relationships.

In his remarks, the Dean of Diplomatic Corps in Nigeria, Oubi Bochir, commended Jonathan’s high sense of patriotism, statesmanship and transparency in the last general elections.

He noted that the President won the heart and minds of all Nigerians and Africans after the elections.

http://www.punchng.com/news/i-conceded-defeat-to-prevent-crisis-jonathan/

Cc lalasticlala

20 Likes

Re: I Conceded Defeat To Prevent Crisis – Jonathan (punch) by Vikkie14: 1:37am On May 21, 2015
We concur.

You are a Leader with CLASS.

89 Likes 7 Shares

Re: I Conceded Defeat To Prevent Crisis – Jonathan (punch) by Vikkie14: 1:45am On May 21, 2015
And that Simple but Hard Act makes you the Most Democratic President Africa had ever witness. You really act in the Spirit of Sportmanship.

Don't worry, we will vote for you to win the Nobel Peace Prize and the MO Ibrahim Award. Do you know why?

You Deserve It Sir.

84 Likes 8 Shares

Re: I Conceded Defeat To Prevent Crisis – Jonathan (punch) by ionsman: 2:13am On May 21, 2015
Vikkie14:
And that Simple but Hard Act makes you the Most Democratic President Africa had ever witness. You really act in the Spirit of Sportmanship.

Don't worry, we will vote for you to win the Nobel Peace Prize and the MO Ibrahim Award. Do you know why?

You Deserve It Sir.
Other African leaders did it before him. Enough of this Gej ass-licking. angry

140 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Conceded Defeat To Prevent Crisis – Jonathan (punch) by satelliteDISH(m): 2:29am On May 21, 2015
Vikkie14:

You Deserve It Sir.
The truth is he wants to prevent probe from GMB.

77 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Conceded Defeat To Prevent Crisis – Jonathan (punch) by Vikkie14: 2:32am On May 21, 2015
ionsman:

Other African leaders did it before him. Enough of this Gej ass-licking. angry
Lol... Man, You dont get it.
Which African Leader did what he did? You are not a good student of history. This isn't about Complimenting alone but also Commending.
Imagine if he didn't concede defeat, Nigeria will be in chaos by now. Nigeria will have Implode. And you know, WHEN NIGERIA SNEEZES, EVERY AFRICAN COUNTRIES WILL CATCH THE COLD. We would have been another Syria, Libya.
And don't forget the Western Prophesy of "Nigeria will break in 2015".
If you don't know, American Marines were stationed in Ghana incase of their evil prophesy coming to fruition.

We only thank God and the prayerful Nigerians who makes thing as they were today.

Even if any African leader had conceded defeat, which of them had called his opponent "prior-to" and "post" Winner Announcement?

If every other African Leaders have "OUTSTAND" him, he "STAND OUT" among them.

102 Likes 13 Shares

Re: I Conceded Defeat To Prevent Crisis – Jonathan (punch) by Vikkie14: 2:41am On May 21, 2015
satelliteDISH:

Error: No or Bad Signal.

25 Likes

Re: I Conceded Defeat To Prevent Crisis – Jonathan (punch) by jumobi1(m): 2:51am On May 21, 2015
You conceeded because you lost. Not conceeded will be a bad thing to do. No cookie for doing the expected. The masses voted you out.

115 Likes 9 Shares

Re: I Conceded Defeat To Prevent Crisis – Jonathan (punch) by nationwide1(m): 3:16am On May 21, 2015
What a golden heart!

"... I conceded defeat to keep Nigeria away from conflict."

...You need to have a country before having the ambition to become the president ".

God bless President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan.

40 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Conceded Defeat To Prevent Crisis – Jonathan (punch) by Nobody: 3:19am On May 21, 2015
And if you don't concede what would happen? Nothing. Buhari would have called you to let you know you've lost woefully and you need vacate the Aso rock ASAP. And that you shouldn't try to relocate abroad till we know how that $20b parol take happen.

I would like to see look on the face of those jobless guys trekking for GEJ when they hear how much he and his corrupt government stole from Nigeria.

If you like quote me I don't give a shii

59 Likes

Re: I Conceded Defeat To Prevent Crisis – Jonathan (punch) by Nobody: 3:49am On May 21, 2015
Robbish! He's just looking for another job

19 Likes

Re: I Conceded Defeat To Prevent Crisis – Jonathan (punch) by Nobody: 4:07am On May 21, 2015
jumobi1:
You conceeded because you lost. Not conceeded will be a bad thing to do. No cookie for doing the expected. The masses voted you out.

Those that refused to concede were also voted out by the masses but they deliberately hold on to power and if you are a good student of history then u should know the outcome and how those affected countries are faring!

Every rational mind will surely appreciate GEJ for the nobel and honorable path he took.

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Conceded Defeat To Prevent Crisis – Jonathan (punch) by Ellashow: 4:08am On May 21, 2015
Mr President, you conceded defeats because you lost...simple

Stop sugar coating your defeats. Trouble only looms when defeated and you refused to step down and go the Gbagbo route.

Enough of all this 'herotic' talk, go and rest, you've tried. ah

46 Likes

Re: I Conceded Defeat To Prevent Crisis – Jonathan (punch) by eleojo23: 4:10am On May 21, 2015
The fact remains that GEJ's reaction to the election results was better than that of Buhari when he lost in the last election.

We all know the unfortunate events that followed his failure to accept the results even when it was clear that he lost.

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Conceded Defeat To Prevent Crisis – Jonathan (punch) by Burger01(m): 5:03am On May 21, 2015
Before nko? You didn't want to concede defeat? Na Gbagbo style go be your lot because majority of naija people don get tired of you and everything you stood for. Btw, what you did was the way the game should be played. You are appreciated for that and the fact you stated 'no human blood is worth your ambition'.

Happy retirement from the presidency #ProfessorOneChancesmiley

15 Likes

Re: I Conceded Defeat To Prevent Crisis – Jonathan (punch) by Burger01(m): 5:14am On May 21, 2015
satelliteDISH:

Don't mind them. ProfessorOneChance is doing everything possible to get soft landing for all his atrocities. He won't give a damn about his thieving cabinet, his 100naira per post internet rats, his deceivers, his scammers et al. All he wants is a peaceful and manageable post election life while his senseless, deluded supporters and the incorrigible saTANists are there hating and dying slowly from hatingsmiley

19 Likes

Re: I Conceded Defeat To Prevent Crisis – Jonathan (punch) by modath(f): 5:23am On May 21, 2015
Thank you for moving out of a leased appt when your payment expired... Thank you.

We appreciate you for averting a "crisis" and leaving an economic "crisis" for us to manage for the forseable future.

We thank you for respecting the choice of the majority and doing the needful instead of waiting to be "gbagboed" out since you were the best president EVER!!!.

I don't think this man reviews his thoughts & doesn't hear himself when he comes up with all this kind of ish!! undecided

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Conceded Defeat To Prevent Crisis – Jonathan (punch) by omenka(m): 5:29am On May 21, 2015
Seems this guy knows this is the only thing he's ever done right since he forced his way into our consciousness.

Mr Jonathan, we know. Thank you. Now what should we do; give you a Nobel Prize, yeah??

Smh.

23 Likes

Re: I Conceded Defeat To Prevent Crisis – Jonathan (punch) by texazzpete(m): 5:33am On May 21, 2015
No, Mr President. You conceded because you lost by a very clear, unassailable margin.
I know you're used to shady Maths where 16 is greater 19, but there was absolutely no way out of this one.

Going to the tribunal with a petition would have just stripped off a million votes from your akwa ibom and Rivers tally.

It's a sad day when people act like they deserve a cookie for doing what they are supposed to do. Maybe I should get an award every time i stop at a traffic light?

Nigerians deserve an explanation why you conceded defeat to oil bunkering, pipeline vandalisation, corruption, subsidy cabals and, until the latter part of your presidency, Boko Haram.

We need to know why power generation has dropped to 2000MW as at yesterday. Your minister blames it on gas pipeline vandalism. Why did you concede defeat to those vandals even after spending billions of our money on pipeline protection contracts with ex-militants, OPC etc?

45 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Conceded Defeat To Prevent Crisis – Jonathan (punch) by blackmantis: 6:50am On May 21, 2015
Why did you contest in the first place?

You had promised you would do only one term only to turn around and fail to keep to your word.

You did not want any opposition to your candidacy that is why you didnt allow free and fair presidential primaries in your party.

Now you lost you say you conceded defeat to avert crisis. You did not conceed, you were voted out.

21 Likes

Re: I Conceded Defeat To Prevent Crisis – Jonathan (punch) by starlight101(m): 7:04am On May 21, 2015
YOU ARE A LEGEND

8 Likes

Re: I Conceded Defeat To Prevent Crisis – Jonathan (punch) by kazmanbanjoko(m): 7:04am On May 21, 2015
Nigerians passionately hate you sir. (includin me)

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Conceded Defeat To Prevent Crisis – Jonathan (punch) by ijustdey: 7:10am On May 21, 2015
After ruining the economy and he says he has to leave power because he doesn't want to cause crisis.......

Hasn't he caused enough crisis for Nigerians
From fuel scarcity, lack of light to enough rot and embezzlement of the treasury.......
Mtcheww

17 Likes

Re: I Conceded Defeat To Prevent Crisis – Jonathan (punch) by Sholah96(m): 7:13am On May 21, 2015
Are u kidding me? Or just showed off in d presence of those ambassadors?
...And u still dey query Baba's victory?
Although GEJ is such a cool fellow, he did the same when Iyiola Omisore was defeated.

1 Like

Re: I Conceded Defeat To Prevent Crisis – Jonathan (punch) by luvinhubby(m): 7:25am On May 21, 2015
God bless you GEJ, without your simplicity & humility in playing politics devoid of bitterness, Nigeria would have ceased to exist by now. Worthy also to note that in 5yrs as head of state, there was no political killing in Nigeria, unlike that of your predeccesor.

Hoping that the rest of Nigerian & indeed African politicians, including incoming administration, will emulate your statesmanship & brand of politics without bloodshed.
Thank you & God's speed in your future endeavours.

Signed
Luvinhubby.

8 Likes

Re: I Conceded Defeat To Prevent Crisis – Jonathan (punch) by ionsman: 7:34am On May 21, 2015
Vikkie14:
Lol... Man, You dont get it.
Which African Leader did what he did? You are not a good student of history. This isn't about Complimenting alone but also Commending.
Imagine if he didn't concede defeat, Nigeria will be in chaos by now. Nigeria will have Implode. And you know, WHEN NIGERIA SNEEZES, EVERY AFRICAN COUNTRIES WILL CATCH THE COLD. We would have been another Syria, Libya.
And don't forget the Western Prophesy of "Nigeria will break in 2015".
If you don't know, American Marines were stationed in Ghana incase of their evil prophesy coming to fruition.

We only thank God and the prayerful Nigerians who makes thing as they were today.

Even if any African leader had conceded defeat, which of them had called his opponent "prior-to" and "post" Winner Announcement?

If every other African Leaders have "OUTSTAND" him, he "STAND OUT" among them.
Aden Abdullah Osman conceded defeat.
Abdoulaye Wade conceded defeat.
Kenneth David Kaunda conceded defeat.
Rupiah Bwezani Danda conceded defeat.

I guess you can now stop talking about Gej.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Conceded Defeat To Prevent Crisis – Jonathan (punch) by chronique(m): 7:36am On May 21, 2015
God bless Him for making that sacrifice. There are greater stuffs ahead for Him.

5 Likes

Re: I Conceded Defeat To Prevent Crisis – Jonathan (punch) by Nobody: 7:36am On May 21, 2015
He is a president that needs our love always, kudos Mr President

3 Likes

Re: I Conceded Defeat To Prevent Crisis – Jonathan (punch) by ionsman: 7:36am On May 21, 2015
starlight101:
YOU ARE A LEGEND
Legend of Otuoke community.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Conceded Defeat To Prevent Crisis – Jonathan (punch) by Nobody: 7:37am On May 21, 2015
He is a president that needs our love always, kudos Mr President.

2 Likes

Re: I Conceded Defeat To Prevent Crisis – Jonathan (punch) by size40: 7:41am On May 21, 2015
Mr President lied. He had no choice than to accept defeat.

15 Likes

Re: I Conceded Defeat To Prevent Crisis – Jonathan (punch) by size40: 7:44am On May 21, 2015
Mr President lied. He had no choice than to accept defeat. Mr GEJ knows what would have befallen him if he had not accepted defeat when majority of both Nigerians and world leaders no longer back him up

12 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Yahaya Bello's Manifestoes Comes First In 12 Presidential Aspirants - Channels / President Tinubu Appoints 8 New Permanent Secretaries / Bombing Of Kaduna Residents Decided By God Else It Wouldn’t Have Happened -Tinub

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.