Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,617 members, 7,809,264 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:58 AM

Christian Girls And Modesty. Whats Your Take On This? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christian Girls And Modesty. Whats Your Take On This? (4272 Views)

The Godly Dressing And Modesty Of A Holy Christian / 5 Reasons Why Many Christian Girls Remain Single / MODESTY - Marks Of A True Christian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christian Girls And Modesty. Whats Your Take On This? by Nobody: 4:38pm On Feb 12, 2009
I am a young christian girl. I have always been fascinated with the way muslim women dress. I was so curious about islam that I became a commitee member for the muslims students asociation at university.
Re: Christian Girls And Modesty. Whats Your Take On This? by Lady2(f): 6:44pm On Feb 12, 2009
R u Nigerian?

Because growing up (before I moved to the U.S.) Christians covered up from head to toe. Maybe they're not doing so now, but they should. I cover up, actually one day I wore rubbish to Mass, and got sent home. We are to cover up, and be modest in our dressing. This whole showing of extra skin is an error of society.

That's why I prefer wearing traditional wear, not just in mass but in my everyday life. Wish I could afford it though, but making an effort to increase my wardrobe so it will be easier, I guess I could afford it if I didn't spend every dime on shoes, lol.
But with traditional wear we easily cover up, and honestly that is beautiful. I do admire muslim ladies for their choice to cover up, and it really should be that, a choice, and Christian women should choose to cover up too.
With the exception of covering the face and neck and all that, as if we have no identity, if so men should cover up too, equality of the sexes
Re: Christian Girls And Modesty. Whats Your Take On This? by Image123(m): 6:59pm On Feb 12, 2009
@BabeX
I think its a matter of how much the devil has spent time and resource dealing with the christian faith and pulling down the walls around us with a cloak of 'liberty'.You keep doing what is decent and pure and lovely and of good report,that not even the devil can counter.And keep praying for and correcting your christian friends.I should say however that the muslimms have learnt their dressing from tradition,which has become a culture in thre middle east.Their dressing is similar to the way christian women used to dress.The way their mother Sara taught them
Re: Christian Girls And Modesty. Whats Your Take On This? by Gamine(f): 7:23pm On Feb 12, 2009
Covering up has nothing to do with contents of the heart. . .

if it appeals to you, no one stops you wearing the hijab and co

Just know that Modesty is not equal to righteousness,

Even though a Righteous person would be moderate in all things.
Re: Christian Girls And Modesty. Whats Your Take On This? by paule: 7:23am On Feb 13, 2009
BabeX, I must admit that this bothered me as a young Christian that grew among Muslim, I latter realised that dressing is about motive(inward) and not outward, since God looks at the heart but we judge from our eyes (1 Sam 16). They are some Muslim sisters that cover up but inwardly wish to dress lose and they are some that behave immorally (in the secret). However some are still decent. Please let nothing spoil your faith and be persuaded in your mind for anything not done by faith is sin (Rom 14:end). If you feel by waring hajib or whatever you are holy ride on but the important thing be saved and thrive to be more like Jesus everyday (Heb 12:1-2)
Re: Christian Girls And Modesty. Whats Your Take On This? by tpia: 8:10am On Feb 13, 2009
Re: Christian Girls And Modesty. Whats Your Take On This? by Nobody: 12:44pm On Feb 13, 2009
Thanks for all the replies.
tpia:

If you feel like covering up there are plenty of churches that do so. eg Deeper Life, some CACs, etc. They (especially Deeper Life) may also have a higher percentage of males who are only interested in hand holding and nothing else.

Or you could live in the northern part of Nigeria. There are some Christian northerners who cover up though not with the full hijab.

Apostolic Faith also has strict standards for the members.

If you're only attracted to Muslim brothers and want to marry one while remaining Christian, then pray well sha.

Im in Lagos.
I dont think I can marry a muslim brother. Its tempting but how much of my faith would I have to compromise?

paule:

BabeX, I must admit that this bothered me as a young Christian that grew among Muslim, I latter realised that dressing is about motive(inward) and not outward, since God looks at the heart but we judge from our eyes (1 Sam 16). They are some Muslim sisters that cover up but inwardly wish to dress lose and they are some that behave immorally (in the secret). However some are still decent. Please let nothing spoil your faith and be persuaded in your mind for anything not done by faith is sin (Rom 14:end). If you feel by waring hajib or whatever you are holy ride on but the important thing be saved and thrive to be more like Jesus everyday (Heb 12:1-2)

Its true, its the inside that matters and not the outside.

~Lady~:

R u Nigerian?

Because growing up (before I moved to the U.S.) Christians covered up from head to toe. Maybe they're not doing so now, but they should. I cover up, actually one day I wore rubbish to Mass, and got sent home. We are to cover up, and be modest in our dressing. This whole showing of extra skin is an error of society.

That's why I prefer wearing traditional wear, not just in mass but in my everyday life. Wish I could afford it though, but making an effort to increase my wardrobe so it will be easier, I guess I could afford it if I didn't spend every dime on shoes, lol.
But with traditional wear we easily cover up, and honestly that is beautiful. I do admire muslim ladies for their choice to cover up, and it really should be that, a choice, and Christian women should choose to cover up too.
With the exception of covering the face and neck and all that, as if we have no identity, if so men should cover up too, equality of the sexes

Yes Im Nigerian.
Re: Christian Girls And Modesty. Whats Your Take On This? by tpia: 12:28am On Feb 15, 2009
Re: Christian Girls And Modesty. Whats Your Take On This? by Lady2(f): 8:59am On Feb 16, 2009
tpia:

you're welcome.

You might have to convert eventually, depending on the brother. Or at the very least, compromise by not attending church all the time.

Then the kids will probably have Muslim names and be raised Muslim as well as Christian.

Not to mention the ever present issue of multiple wives though that could happen with a "Christian" as well.

the children have to be raised as muslims, that's why muslim women are not permitted to marry non-muslim men, as it is their belief that the children should take on their father's religion.
but muslim men can marry non muslim women.

So the whole purpose is just to promote Islam. A woman is denied the right to marry whomever without restrictions because they want to promote Islam, and they say Islam respects women how?
Re: Christian Girls And Modesty. Whats Your Take On This? by Ify3: 4:14pm On Feb 16, 2009
BabeX,
Of a truth how you dress does not matter, but it matters. You're not just an ordinary person but a Christian (Christ-like) - both inwardly and outwardly you have to be decent, not causing the little ones to sin (those that are not strong in the Lord).

It is a pity that the church is going worldly instead of the world becoming churchly. Instead of the church teaching the world to emulate their way, they are now buying the behaviours and cultures of the world, that is why our sisters and brothers wear anything they like to church e.g. mini-skirt, leggings, show-belle, show-breast, show-chest, etc.

It is a believable fact that Christians are to be salt of the world. But when the salt loses its taste what will happen to it? It will be thrown away and trample upon!

Christians are also the light of the world which cannot be hidden. And when the light is put off, what will happen? Darkness will cover the place.

My dear sister, be an evangelist by all means - your behaviour, dressing, talking, teaching, etc.
The Power of God will be with you - Amen.
Re: Christian Girls And Modesty. Whats Your Take On This? by anwo247: 11:27pm On Feb 16, 2009
paule:

Every normal human being takes action based on the thought that emanates from the heart. If it not so, then, the psychologist will declare you as mad. That means that your heart cannot think diferently and your outward actions exhibits differently.

If I think of dreadlock, I will make it on my head. I will be a mad person if am thinking of dreadlock and cutting my hair decently low as a man.

EXCEPT a mad man, all our outward actions are from the heart. a mad man conradicts his action that is why he is declared mad.

The demonic kingdom sells to us we buy, but we find it difficult to sell to demonic kingdom. Many churches but few christians, because of worldliness.
In any case, God himself has said it from begining that many are called but few are chosen. By their fruit you shall know them.

If a woman of God wants to preach to you and she is wearing open--belle clothes in the altar, how will the church look at you?If a man of God wears sleeveless  with dreadlock like bobmarley and jump up and say every body shout hallelujah on the altar, how will the church see him? ofcourse you already know how God sees him.

All this open--belle dressers to church, they should tell the wife of their General oversear/founder to dress open-belle and preach in television,inshort, they can try to be totally naked, provided """"their heart is clean"""". They all know it's wrong.
Re: Christian Girls And Modesty. Whats Your Take On This? by Treetop20(m): 11:31pm On Feb 16, 2009
covering it up has nothing to do with anything
a muslim girl i know who acts like she is the
most godly woman on earth, i saw a video of her
and her bf getting it on even after telling me
she's a virgin.
Re: Christian Girls And Modesty. Whats Your Take On This? by ifele(m): 2:37am On Feb 17, 2009
Christians have the Satanic dress code

While Muslim have the Divine and Godly dress code
Re: Christian Girls And Modesty. Whats Your Take On This? by Sissy3(f): 5:19am On Feb 17, 2009
ifele:

Christians have the Satanic dress code

While Muslim have the Divine and Godly dress code

u seriously need a reality check sad
Re: Christian Girls And Modesty. Whats Your Take On This? by Lady2(f): 12:10am On Feb 18, 2009
Every normal human being takes action based on the thought that emanates from the heart. If it not so, then, the psychologist will declare you as mad. That means that your heart cannot think diferently and your outward actions exhibits differently.

If I think of dreadlock, I will make it on my head. I will be a mad person if am thinking of dreadlock and cutting my hair decently low as a man

While this may be true, you cannot tell me there are girls who cover up but in secret are vulgar and wild. The outward appearance does not always reveal the heart. I may smile at you, but in my heart I may hate you. This is very true and is proven by humans, psychologists cannot deny that.

Not everyone who covers up is doing it because it is the right thing to do and it is what their heart believes. Most muslim girls I know cover up because they don't want their family to think they are wild, but come to Florida A&M University and I will point them out to you. Those girls party hard, and I don't mean in moderation or causally, I mean they PARTY with sex oozing out of their pores and guys taking them home. Believe me just because a girl covers up doesn't mean that that's what's in her heart.
Re: Christian Girls And Modesty. Whats Your Take On This? by anwo247: 5:32pm On Feb 18, 2009
I am a christian, and i dont know about moslem. The person that ask the question said she has converted that is why i am interested.

I am not saying that once you cover yourself well, it means you are righteous. It is the same thing to say that once someone preaches well, then he is righteous. No. But does that make preaching a bad thing Shakespear said that there is not art to find the mind construction in the face. that is true and that is literature.

However, it may please you to know that there is something our Bible calls. ""harlot atire"" have you ever heard of that? for take you may start from Proverb 7 and read through the whole chapter and start your links from there. This means that there is a particular form of dress that accords to "" harlot atire"" I will like you to describe to me how you think harlot attire looks like. We are talking Bible here, not human liberation, women liberation or man liberation. But ordinances of our Lord who already liberated and redeemed mankind from eternal death through the death and resurrection of his only begotten son, Jesus Christ.

Because no singular good can make one to be righteous does not mean that it does not matter to do that good. Decency and modesty is the word of the Bible concerning a woman's dressing. Read.

How come that christians, when going to the office cannot open their belly but when going to the church they open their belly No rule and no one to caution them

You are free to chose your way of dressing. Our God is not mocked, whatsoever any of us sow, that we shall reap. I like to encourage all of us to emulate decency. We christians need to encourage each other and not busy immitating the demonic fashion of the world that originated from the marine kingdom. We should not advertise the devils agenda.
Re: Christian Girls And Modesty. Whats Your Take On This? by Image123(m): 11:21am On Feb 19, 2009
Pro 7:10 And, behold, there met him a woman with the attire of a harlot, and subtle of heart.

1Ti 2:9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with braided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array.
Re: Christian Girls And Modesty. Whats Your Take On This? by Nobody: 3:07pm On Feb 19, 2009
Your replies are very insightful.
I believe that the way christian women ought to dress is a bit vague.
The outward appearance does not indeed reflect what is in ones heart. And I believe that the mistake some ppl including myself make is assuming that a woman that covers up is indeed holy or pure. This really may not be the case
Modesty is important and I was thought that a woman should dress in a way that will not cause others to sin i.e lust of the eyes.

Image123:

Pro 7:10 And, behold, there met him a woman with the attire of a harlot, and subtle of heart.

1Ti 2:9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with braided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array.

This is the manner in which women that attend deeper life dress.
Does this instruction apply to us modern day christians? Because if it does then I believe women should not wear gold or put braids in their hair.
This is still vague to me.
Re: Christian Girls And Modesty. Whats Your Take On This? by benedictac(f): 3:21pm On Feb 19, 2009
clothe to me means cover. when a lady dresses it is expected of her to cover up not necessary covery her head to toe. you can do all these and still not be right before God. The Bible says we should be moderate in everything we do. so whenever you as a lady dresses take a look at the mirror and be sincere to yourself if what you are wearing is good in the sight of your creator.

If you feel is good then go ahead. Afterall God will never force a man to go again his (the man's) wishes.

Anyway dressing like a muslim or otherwise is a way of dressing.

God will help us.
Re: Christian Girls And Modesty. Whats Your Take On This? by JJYOU: 3:23pm On Feb 19, 2009
1 Peter 3:1-9 (New Living Translation)

1 Peter 3
Wives
1 In the same way, you wives must accept the authority of your husbands. Then, even if some refuse to obey the Good News, your godly lives will speak to them without any words. They will be won over 2 by observing your pure and reverent lives.

3 [size=18pt]Don’t be concerned about the outward beauty of fancy hairstyles, expensive jewelry, or beautiful clothes. 4 You should clothe yourselves instead with the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God. 5 This is how the holy women of old made themselves beautiful.[/size] They trusted God and accepted the authority of their husbands. 6 For instance, Sarah obeyed her husband, Abraham, and called him her master. You are her daughters when you do what is right without fear of what your husbands might do.
Re: Christian Girls And Modesty. Whats Your Take On This? by Image123(m): 12:40pm On Feb 20, 2009
@BabeX
I didnot quote any denomination's book.i quoted the Bible.I believe the instructions in the Bible applies to all Christians.The Bible says it,I believe it and that settles it.
Re: Christian Girls And Modesty. Whats Your Take On This? by tpia: 12:43pm On Feb 20, 2009
Re: Christian Girls And Modesty. Whats Your Take On This? by Image123(m): 4:21pm On Feb 20, 2009
@tpia
You're acting paranoid.That's a Bible quote in NLT version.The guy has not saaid anything depicting making slaves of women
Re: Christian Girls And Modesty. Whats Your Take On This? by JJYOU: 5:49pm On Feb 20, 2009
tpia:

Note however, Abraham also listened to his wife even when she made questionable decisions and didnt lord it over her. God specifically told Abraham to listen to his wife on at least one occasion, if I remember correctly.
marraige is not a war zone as most of you want it. the thread is not about men and marraige. the bible is a very balanced book in vs 7 it talked to husbands
1 Peter 3: 7 (New Living Translation)

Husbands

1 Peter 3:7 [size=1[/color]8pt]In the same way, you husbands must give honor to your wives. Treat your wife with understanding as you live together. She may be weaker than you are, [color=#000099]but she is your equal partner in God’s gift of new life. Treat her as you should so your prayers will not be hindered[/size].
Image123:

@tpia
You're acting paranoid.That's a Bible quote in NLT version.The guy has not saaid anything depicting making slaves of women

thanks God bless you
Re: Christian Girls And Modesty. Whats Your Take On This? by tpia: 8:28pm On Feb 20, 2009
Re: Christian Girls And Modesty. Whats Your Take On This? by Image123(m): 11:07pm On Feb 21, 2009
@tpia
Its when I hear the word "didn't lord it over her".Your reply to jjyou was off point and preemptive.You know it so lets not waste time about it.
Re: Christian Girls And Modesty. Whats Your Take On This? by JJYOU: 12:25am On Feb 22, 2009
tpia:

seriously, what it with some naija men and their extreme touchiness over the issue of women? Yet most of you insist your views arent middle eastern ones. Whats the difference?

God help you people sha. A woman cant even talk to you without you developing some kind of complex. So the only part of Abraham's life with Sarah that you want to hear is the one you quoted. Anything else like the parts saying he listened to his wife, is anathema to your ears.

smh.

and yet this is one of the people following and saluting deepzone as she rants through life in her mafia mission. I wonder why you dont preach this your sermon to her?
you are the one displaying touchiness here.  this thread is about dressing modestly but you are trying to turn into your men hating thread. you may want to read the topic again and get back to telling us your take on this. by the way you can see what some people are saying on this thread too https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-237208.0.html#msg3493972

i see you are not happy i love funmi. too bad. she is a brilliant girl you possibly would love if you stop taking her too seriously. i like clever minds and most of all i love her zeal.  how could that possibly upset you?

i love people like sisi, nwando, karma, gamine, topup,AJ, heatfussion, adeboo and others you know are strong women in their own right. do you hate me some more for this?

i may personally not fight but i will defend the right of any person to air their views on this platform that is why i will still love you.
Re: Christian Girls And Modesty. Whats Your Take On This? by osisi2(f): 12:36am On Feb 22, 2009
The Bible expressly tells Christian women to be modest in dressing.
Modesty doesn't necessarily mean tying a scarf 24 hrs a day.
A Christian woman shouldn't have her boobs hanging out for all to see.
Anyone truly led by the spirit of God should know not to dress like a LovePeddler.
Re: Christian Girls And Modesty. Whats Your Take On This? by JJYOU: 12:52am On Feb 22, 2009
**osisi:

The Bible expressly tells Christian women to be modest in dressing.
Modesty doesn't necessarily mean tying a scarf 24 hrs a day.
A Christian woman shouldn't have her boobs hanging out for all to see.
Anyone truly led by the spirit of God should know not to dress like a LovePeddler.
too many male and female jezebel about. see this https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-237208.0.html#msg3493972
Re: Christian Girls And Modesty. Whats Your Take On This? by tpia: 3:13am On Feb 22, 2009
Re: Christian Girls And Modesty. Whats Your Take On This? by tpia: 3:23am On Feb 22, 2009
Re: Christian Girls And Modesty. Whats Your Take On This? by KarmaMod(f): 3:26am On Feb 22, 2009
Image,

I believe tpia's response has to do with this part of JJYOU's quote

They trusted God and accepted the authority of their husbands. 6 For instance, Sarah obeyed her husband, Abraham, and called him her master. You are her daughters when you do what is right without fear of what your husbands might do.

UNless you wanna claim that you didnt see that part under the bolded words. Not sure why some of you like looking for people's trouble.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Paula White Sues Pastor For Stealing Her Church Members / Group Version Of Nairaland Bible Quiz-for Everyone,especially You / 4 Reasons Why Atheists Create And Use Multiple Fake ID Monikers On Nairaland.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.