Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,132 members, 7,825,550 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 05:36 PM

Northern Elders Amnesty Call For Boko Haram: Unpatriotic, Insane And Insulting - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Northern Elders Amnesty Call For Boko Haram: Unpatriotic, Insane And Insulting (2787 Views)

Ango Abdullahi Is On His Own – Northern Elders Forum / "Saraki, Others Right To Block Tinubu's VP Bid" - Northern Elders / North East Development Commission Bill: An Unpatriotic And Unfortunate Bill (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Northern Elders Amnesty Call For Boko Haram: Unpatriotic, Insane And Insulting by Nobody: 2:45pm On May 23, 2015

It amounts to shame that a group of elders will come to the open to advocate for amnesty for Boko Haram terrorists despite the atrocities they have committed against Nigeria people especially the northern citizens and residents.

The Terror of Boko Haram Terrorists
The terrorists have killed over 18,000 souls and even more if one is to count the undocumented lives that have been brutally killed by the terrorists. Young boys and girls have been radicalized, hundreds (if not thousands) of Security agents have been killed through beheading, bullet and bombs. Churches and mosques have been razed. People’s means of livelihood have been lost, communities displaced, families scattered, hundreds of women and young girls ganged raped and “married” against their will, students of both tertiary and secondary schools have experienced deaths, anguish and pains. Future of many cut short and economic activities affected. Today, the once upon a time livable Borno, Yobe and Adamawa states are now a shadow of themselves. The ancient city of Kano, the FCT, Kaduna state and other neigbouring states have experienced their own share of pain, deaths and terror from the boko haram terrorists. Till date, hundreds of people are in the den of the Boko Haram sect.

The Call for Amnesty and Government Approval(2013)
On the 5th of March 2013, the Sultan of Sokoto Alhaji Muhammad Abubakar III joined the call by Northern leaders to demand that President Goodluck Jonathan grant members of Boko Haram , “total amnesty” for the sake of peace in the country. On the 8th of March 2013, President Jonathan on a working visit in Yobe publicly rejected the idea of granting amnesty to the sect. Just a day after, a former Vice Chancellor of the University of Maiduguri and an official spokesman for Borno elders, Prof Nura Alkali reiterated the call for Boko haram amnesty. To him, the sect should be treated and showered goodies like the Niger Delta Militants. According to him “Niger Delta militants were heavily compensated, rehabilitated, and given all kinds of job to do”. The call for amnesty by some Northern elders became so much that President Jonathan finally gave in after having meeting with members of Northern Elders Forum. On April 06, 2013 Jonathan setup a high powered committee to come up with framework on the proposed amnesty.

General Buhari and Northern Elders Expressed Satisfaction:
After President Jonathan setup the committee, the Northern Elders Forun, Arewa Youth Forum, Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF), Balarabe Musa and General Muhammadu Buhari expressed satisfaction and even went on to say that it is panacea for peace. In the words of Buhari “Yes, it is good they have set up a committee and I haven’t seen the terms of reference, but it is the right thing to do. This is not the first time amnesty will be given to … eh.. what shall I call them, a violent group; remember what happened with Alhaji Musa Yar’Adua and the militants. So, this is not the first time. Whatever that will bring peace to the society, we should do it.”

Boko-Haram Rejected the Amnesty Package Reiterates Violence
April 11 2013, One week after President Goodluck Jonathan inaugurated a high level committee to look into the possibility of granting amnesty to the terrorists sect leader Abubakar Shekau responded by saying that it was the government and people that should demand amnesty from Boko Haram terrorists, he even went on to say the Sect are not ready to pardon Nigeria. In his own word as reported by BBC "Surprisingly, the Nigerian government is talking about granting us amnesty. What wrong have we done? On the contrary, it is we that should grant you [a] pardon". “What have we done? If there is room for forgiveness, we are not going to do it until God gives us permission to do it. Have you forgotten your sin, have you forgotten what you have done to us in Plateau, the state you called Jos. We emerged to avenge killings of our Muslim brothers and the destruction of our religion. Was it not in Plateau that we saw people cannibalizing our brothers?”

Not a single person from among the amnesty apostles chastised Abubakar Shakau when he made the rejection statement. Sultan, ACF, NEF, Buhari etc never uttered a word in response.

Irrational Comparism of BH Terrorists and Niger Delta Militants
The Niger Delta “Militants” were interested in better welfare for the citizenry in the Niger Delta region though some of them were politically empowered to pursue an agenda. In spite of that they never terrorise the locals, they never bombed schools, raped women and young girls, burn down community nor did they seek to impose an ideology on the locals. Their operation was restricted to attacking oil facilities, kidnapping foreign and local oil workers for a ransom (which is criminal), fighting for superiority among themselves and exchanging bullets with security agencies. Militant leaders were willing to negotiate with government and even embraced amnesty package.
Boko Haram on the other hand are 100% terrorists that practice and advocates full terrorism. They neither seek for the well-being of the North East nor demand for improved economic conditions. They are in the same league as ISIS and are poised to waste as many souls as possible to achieve their Islamic Caliphate. It is illogical and insult to the sensibilities of Nigerians comparing both groups.

The Recent Amnesty Call By Northern Elder
The demand by the Northern Elders led by exChief Justice Muhammed Uwais and exSGF Babangana Kingibe for Amnesty to be granted by Boko Haram is unpatriotic, despicable, regrettable and highly condemnable. It is synonymous to legitimize and reward terror while the dead and brutalized seek for justice. President-elect Muhammadu Buhari should not even contemplating on heeding their prayers. He should be reminded that he made promise in Chattham House, London on February 26 2015 that he has no plan of granting the sect amnesty. In his own word “I think I will not go to that office with that promise. I have said in my address how, at least 13,000 Nigerians have been killed by Boko Haram, how millions of them have been displaced and are now kept in different camps called Internally Displaced Persons camps.
“Schools have been burnt, there is so much disruption to normal life; people cannot farm and where they are able to farm, they cannot harvest. So, granting amnesty to Boko Haram will be unfair to the system.”

We shall hold him accountable to his words because Nigerians will not tolerate such unholy idea.

The Government Should Attend To Victims of BokoHaram Terror
That said, it is the responsibility of the government to rehabilitate the innocent victims of Boko Haram terror so as to reintegrate them back into the society. However, there should be nothing like “Special Fund” for North East terror victims. All support and rehabilitation should be through the statutory quarters like NEMA, NHRC, and Ministry of Special Duties etc. Most importantly, government should step up effort to apprehend sponsors of the sect and bring them to justice.

May the souls of the slain Rest in Peace.
Source: http://www.solomontonye.com/2015/05/northern-elders-amnesty-call-for-boko.html

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Northern Elders Amnesty Call For Boko Haram: Unpatriotic, Insane And Insulting by UnknownT: 3:01pm On May 23, 2015
I have nothing against FG giving them Amnesty if it will bring peace to the NE but the amnesty should come from the revenue(Agriculture,Solid Minerals and "Lake Chad's Oil") accruing to the FG from the NorthEast they are devastating. The ND militants were settled with money coming from their region so I expect FG to do the same to the NE BH

4 Likes

Re: Northern Elders Amnesty Call For Boko Haram: Unpatriotic, Insane And Insulting by Nobody: 3:02pm On May 23, 2015

2 Likes

Re: Northern Elders Amnesty Call For Boko Haram: Unpatriotic, Insane And Insulting by Nobody: 3:04pm On May 23, 2015
UnknownT:
H
H for Haram?

3 Likes

Re: Northern Elders Amnesty Call For Boko Haram: Unpatriotic, Insane And Insulting by Nobody: 3:06pm On May 23, 2015
This is the usual route to compensate their boys for making sure they tarnish GEJ government. The fight has to continue, they all must also die.

1 Like

Re: Northern Elders Amnesty Call For Boko Haram: Unpatriotic, Insane And Insulting by Nobody: 3:08pm On May 23, 2015
Buhari daura kastina boko haram alqueada alshabaab taliban ISIL hezbollah hamas paris attack chibok grls etc = I s l a m

And now dis same old beasts want amnesty for dis terrorists, make dem use dem groundnut pyramid money do am
Not ma oilye money

3 Likes

Re: Northern Elders Amnesty Call For Boko Haram: Unpatriotic, Insane And Insulting by UnknownT: 3:09pm On May 23, 2015
slimmy05:
df
df for DeFeat or DeFend?
Re: Northern Elders Amnesty Call For Boko Haram: Unpatriotic, Insane And Insulting by Nobody: 3:09pm On May 23, 2015
OREMUSSANCTUS:
Buhari daura kastina boko haram alqueada alshabaab taliban ISIL hezbollah hamas paris attack chibok grls etc = I s l a m

And now dis same old beasts want amnesty for dis terrorists, make dem use dem groundnut pyramid money do am
Not ma oilye money
There is no way amnesty can be granted to them. It is not possible. Granting them amnesty is synonymous to rewarding terrorism and encouraging murder and oppression.

1 Like

Re: Northern Elders Amnesty Call For Boko Haram: Unpatriotic, Insane And Insulting by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 3:11pm On May 23, 2015
No comment
Re: Northern Elders Amnesty Call For Boko Haram: Unpatriotic, Insane And Insulting by customized07: 3:12pm On May 23, 2015
They are the boko haram, they need the money. In a sane world, people are jailed for suggesting amnesty for terrorists.

2 Likes

Re: Northern Elders Amnesty Call For Boko Haram: Unpatriotic, Insane And Insulting by Nobody: 3:32pm On May 23, 2015
customized07:
They are the boko haram, they need the money. In a sane world, people are jailed for suggesting amnesty for terrorists.
If they have their way they will call for amnesty for ISIS

1 Like

Re: Northern Elders Amnesty Call For Boko Haram: Unpatriotic, Insane And Insulting by Sweetguy25: 3:42pm On May 23, 2015
The son of one of the elders who called for amnesty is an ISIS terrorist.
To imagine that such a man was once a judge who has sentenced hundreds of people to death for committing lesser crimes. . . . . I don't even know what to say

1 Like

Re: Northern Elders Amnesty Call For Boko Haram: Unpatriotic, Insane And Insulting by Nobody: 3:46pm On May 23, 2015
The way I see it, those men calling for amnesty for terrorists are either seeking to make fortune or they are the brain and sponsor of the whole thing hoping to make profit from their hustle
Sweetguy25:
To imagine that such a man was once a judge who has sentenced hundreds of people to death for committing lesser crimes. . . . . I don't even know what to say

1 Like

Re: Northern Elders Amnesty Call For Boko Haram: Unpatriotic, Insane And Insulting by abduljabbar4(m): 3:49pm On May 23, 2015
They deleted it but you still created another one.
Mods why didn't you ban this guy when you easily ban people for breaking your rules? Read his post on this thread and read this one

Re: Northern Elders Amnesty Call For Boko Haram: Unpatriotic, Insane And Insulting by Sweetguy25: 3:55pm On May 23, 2015
barcanista:
The way I see it, those men calling for amnesty for terrorists are either seeking to make fortune or they are the brain and sponsor of the whole thing hoping to make profit from their hustle

Its absolutely shocking. This country is such a joke

1 Like

Re: Northern Elders Amnesty Call For Boko Haram: Unpatriotic, Insane And Insulting by Nobody: 3:58pm On May 23, 2015
abduljabbar4:
Are you the one that removed it? Well antispambot hid it and the mod restored it. Is there anything wrong with the thread or its content?

1 Like

Re: Northern Elders Amnesty Call For Boko Haram: Unpatriotic, Insane And Insulting by Nobody: 4:00pm On May 23, 2015
Only Nigeria will you see display of open sympathy for terrorists by group of old dude parading themselves as elder statesmen
Sweetguy25:

Its absolutely shocking. This country is such a joke

2 Likes

Re: Northern Elders Amnesty Call For Boko Haram: Unpatriotic, Insane And Insulting by Nobody: 4:03pm On May 23, 2015
Fear NORTH my people

2 Likes

Re: Northern Elders Amnesty Call For Boko Haram: Unpatriotic, Insane And Insulting by abduljabbar4(m): 4:05pm On May 23, 2015
barcanista:
Are you the one that removed it? Well antispambot hid it and the mod restored it. Is there anything wrong with the thread or its content?
For the second time I'm agreeing with you cos the same thing came to my mind but what about Asari dokubo war threats? What do you have to say about that? Imagine somebody like Asari living comfortably after all those threats.
@topic, yes, infact Boko haram have no good reason for figting even shekau cannot give you a good reason unlike the Niger delta militants.
Re: Northern Elders Amnesty Call For Boko Haram: Unpatriotic, Insane And Insulting by abduljabbar4(m): 4:09pm On May 23, 2015
Imagine somebody daring his own arrest
Re: Northern Elders Amnesty Call For Boko Haram: Unpatriotic, Insane And Insulting by RockMaxi: 4:14pm On May 23, 2015
Those people you call elders may only be representing their own personal and hidden agenda. True elders will never give their support to a visionless and demonic BH not after they have revealed their demonic tendency.

Re: Northern Elders Amnesty Call For Boko Haram: Unpatriotic, Insane And Insulting by Nobody: 4:20pm On May 23, 2015
abduljabbar4:

For the second time I'm agreeing with you cos the same thing came to my mind but what about Asari dokubo war threats? What do you have to say about that? Imagine somebody like Asari living comfortably after all those threats.
@topic, yes, infact Boko haram have no good reason for figting even shekau cannot give you a good reason unlike the Niger delta militants.
Asari's pre-election war threat is same with the various threat by Junaid Muhammed and even Rotimi Amaechi. I don't subscribe to threatening people because I believe in freewill. It however does not translate to terrorism
Re: Northern Elders Amnesty Call For Boko Haram: Unpatriotic, Insane And Insulting by Nobody: 4:30pm On May 23, 2015
RockMaxi:

Those people you call elders may only be representing their own personal and hidden agenda. True elders will never give their support to a visionless and demonic BH not after they have revealed their demonic tendency.

unfortunately, those men control the minds of some of the people and are seen as political and religious leaders up North
Re: Northern Elders Amnesty Call For Boko Haram: Unpatriotic, Insane And Insulting by abduljabbar4(m): 4:49pm On May 23, 2015
barcanista:
Asari's pre-election war threat is same with the various threat by Junaid Muhammed and even Rotimi Amaechi. I don't subscribe to threatening people because I believe in freewill. It however does not translate to terrorism
Amaechi never threatened to kill anyone.
Re: Northern Elders Amnesty Call For Boko Haram: Unpatriotic, Insane And Insulting by Nobody: 4:51pm On May 23, 2015
OREMUSSANCTUS:

Not ma oilye money
OH!! Now you knw? I thought you people use to say igbos want your oil that's why igbos are calling you pple to join them in the fight for biafra. Now my question Is, who needs your oil the most?

1 Like

Re: Northern Elders Amnesty Call For Boko Haram: Unpatriotic, Insane And Insulting by Nobody: 4:51pm On May 23, 2015
Amnesty for criminals has to stop under the new government, starting from the Niger Delta criminals to the potential ones in Biafra and opc. Every criminal must face justice.
We are tribal hypocrites in this country, the same way the OP sees nothing wrong with amnesty for his kinsmen is the same way these selfish northern leaders see it.

2 Likes

Re: Northern Elders Amnesty Call For Boko Haram: Unpatriotic, Insane And Insulting by Nobody: 4:52pm On May 23, 2015
biafra is the way and the truth .

as a niger deltan , biafra is the only option .

we are stepping ahead .

1 Like

Re: Northern Elders Amnesty Call For Boko Haram: Unpatriotic, Insane And Insulting by Pavore9: 4:53pm On May 23, 2015
The call is arrant nonsense!
Re: Northern Elders Amnesty Call For Boko Haram: Unpatriotic, Insane And Insulting by cjrane: 4:55pm On May 23, 2015
grin grin grin

They can even call for Boko haram to rape more and kill more. They can call for them to be admitted into federal civil service and paid. Na dem sabi
Re: Northern Elders Amnesty Call For Boko Haram: Unpatriotic, Insane And Insulting by Nobody: 4:58pm On May 23, 2015
Sweetguy25:
That is one nigeria for you.
Re: Northern Elders Amnesty Call For Boko Haram: Unpatriotic, Insane And Insulting by Nobody: 5:00pm On May 23, 2015
abduljabbar4:
Mods why didn't you ban this guy when you easily ban people for breaking your rules? Read his post on this thread and read this one
Hey awusa man, you are not making any sense!!
Re: Northern Elders Amnesty Call For Boko Haram: Unpatriotic, Insane And Insulting by Nobody: 5:06pm On May 23, 2015
barcanista:
There is no way amnesty can be granted to them. It is not possible. Granting them amnesty is synonymous to rewarding terrorism and encouraging murder and oppression.
The Niger Delta criminals nko? Please spare me the course. A criminal is a criminal

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

El-rufai Declares Free Education In Kaduna / Picture Of The Lion Killed In Jos Today / # Live Update Of Nnamdi Kanu's Case#

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.