Stats: 3,151,790 members, 7,813,609 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:50 PM

General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 - Travel (51) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 (1044981 Views)

General German Visa Enquiries Part 3 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General German Visa Enquiries Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) ... (511) (Go Down)

Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by cabayes: 3:46am On Jun 26, 2015
bellong:

Well, it is not too late for him.

Do you have any experience in Geology?

Not really .just less than a year internship in a related field and Nysc experience (department of works in a local government).

The truth is that if I can't afford it ..its better I look elsewhere. I have an admission in the UK and I thought Australia would be easier.
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by bellong: 3:51am On Jun 26, 2015
cabayes:

Not really .just less than a year internship in a related field and Nysc experience (department of works in a local government).

The truth is that if I can't afford it ..its better I look elsewhere. I have an admission in the UK and I thought Australia would be easier.

If you can ace a 20 point in English test, you can go for PR. Department of works is related depending on what you did in the department. Engineering geology is still a subset of geology.
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by Nobody: 3:56am On Jun 26, 2015
cabayes:

You mean UK will give u a post study visa and N7M will suffice?
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by cabayes: 4:04am On Jun 26, 2015
ferdimako:

You mean UK will give u a post study visa and N7M will suffice?

Lol. Didn't mean it that way. I meant I would be paying twice of that in Australia just on tuition only. Flinders charges 30k annually which is 9million naira for 2 years. My point is that its not cheaper studying in Australia than in the UK.
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by NNBB2012: 4:05am On Jun 26, 2015
bossladymo1:

Which agent said getting PR from Naija is not possible? That's a big lie! Do you know how many people on this thread travelled as PRs? He should just tell you he cant do it.

What were the reasons he gave?

The truth is that some of these agents do not know much about PR and they are more interested in the money they will get from prospective students. Ideally, the students are not supposed to pay them agency fees because they get commission from schools on any student that successfully make it to Australia through them. It may be difficult to give what you don't have.
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by Nobody: 4:09am On Jun 26, 2015
cabayes:

Lol. Didn't mean it that way. I meant I would be paying twice of that in Australia just on tuition only. Flinders charges 30k annually which is 9million naira for 2 years. My point is that its not cheaper studying in Australia than in the UK.
It is a known fact...but after two years of study ur post study visa is almost a guarantee. UK may kick u out!
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by cabayes: 4:09am On Jun 26, 2015
bellong:

If you can ace a 20 point in English test, you can go for PR. Department of works is related depending on what you did in the department. Engineering geology is still a subset of geology.

Yes but there is a huge difference between civil engineers and engjneering geologists.
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by bellong: 4:27am On Jun 26, 2015
cabayes:

Yes but there is a huge difference between civil engineers and engjneering geologists.

You fail to get my point. The point is that experience can still work for you. I am not comparing profession or discussing construction.
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by lilspiceyy(f): 4:55am On Jun 26, 2015
Finally,finally and finally in perth grin. Thank you Lord it's your doing. Perth is beautifuller (don't mind my English just expressing myself).

Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by Ifexsco: 5:59am On Jun 26, 2015
Bros, in as much as I don't hv much exp in English exams, I beg to differ frm your views. I took TOEFL late 2012 and IELTS 10 July 2014 at Abuja. I had 8, 8, 7.5 , 7. The conduct of the exam was quite professional and I was able to get my result online after the said 10 days. The hard copy took a little while to arrive. Having said that, I think the main thing is to prepare well for the exam and avert any need of remark etc. Agreed that BC and IELTS may have their lapses, but I don't think that calls for your coming here to get people biased. They don't gain anything by failing you. I am of the school of thought that any exam I prepare well for, I will pass. I had to buy the IELTS material frm BC at 4k. quote author=ewagbamio post=35158215]
I wasn't planning on coming here to vent but I suspect i'm already doing just that, but scrollmeout and other members of this efamily, I'l simply state it as I see it: Don't take the IELTS if you can avoid it. Take PTE, take anything else that will serve the same purpose. I wish I have seen a write up like this earlier, I might have been saved from this rubbish.

I do not have issues with the content of the test as it appears fair enough to me but on account of the reasons stated below, I'd suggest you stay clear of IELTS whenever possible or at least look objectively at the other options before making a choice:

1. IELTS is very subjective, the speaking component that is. but then this is my opinion and there are bound to be equally valid counter arguements
2. The English testing business is just that, a big business and IELTS's market position is so dominant that it is almost a monopoly. As such it can afford to delay your result for as long as it likes (I got my initial TRF after 4weeks of waiting), PTE gives you your result in 5 working day max.
3. IELTS as a business are untidy, very untidy. I tried for months to speak with a human being on the phone but it was simply impossible. Most of the publicly available nos were switched off or otherwise non functional. What responsible business does that? You took my money and I took the test. Fine so far. Then I need my results but it took a month and there is nobody to give me an answer on the phone. Most Nigerian online businesses provide far better customer service than this
4. The results are not available online contrary to the claims made on their website and during the course of the test. They even gave me a link where I was supposed to input my data and get a peek at my results but nothing came up, tried like 2 dozen times, nothing. This is 2015, not the year 1520. WAEC, NECO, JAMB, PTE, TOEFL, the auto sparepart dealers in Ikoku and just about everybody's online except IELTS results. What a shame.

I have made up my mind to take the PTE next month as i'm currently tied up with some othe issues now. All opinions expressed here are solely mine and subjective as it may seem, it is based entirely on my not so pleasant experience with the British Council/IELTS set up.
[/quote]
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by bjayzeez: 6:37am On Jun 26, 2015
i dont know too much about the students and financing

I know people usually get by... if they have like a full years fee and enough money for accommodation and feeding for 3-6 months. You can get non professional jobs that youd work for 20 hours/week term time, and 40+ during the semester breaks, you can do the math @ averahe of $20/ hour .... remember theres a tax man sha. The more funds you have from home, the less stress youd give yourself

people here can advise you on SVP Visas, you can read it up too

accommodation is give/take 150 per week... feeding and other misc depends on your waka

http://www.gsa.org.au/careers.html ..............have a look at the unis....

and yes hydrology is quite a big deal here

cabayes:

Thanks for the response. I think I'll look else where. Most of the courses are 30k annually or 4.6million naira . That's half more than half of my
budget. Then how much do I budget for accommodation + feeding annually?? The remaining 3million naira?? And are you giving me the hope that I can work to meet up with the expenses of the 2Nd year or I request for additional funds after the first year?

I'm looking at Flinder university MSC hydrology.I would be grateful if you judge me if I'm not up to the task

Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by iriferi(m): 6:55am On Jun 26, 2015
Hi everyone. please I'm begging you. if you get corrected for something you got wrong, accept it and move on. no be big deal, we learn new stuff everyday. don't let ego or pride overshadow you. peace

Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by BKings: 7:29am On Jun 26, 2015
Pls house, going with this profile:
Age.......30 points qualification.....15 points experience (2 yrs)....0 point IELTS (assuming I make 7).....10 points Total.......55 points
How do I get an extra 5 points to make it up, or is there no other hope?
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by bossladymo1: 7:31am On Jun 26, 2015
Ifexsco

So how do you explain someone who could barely make a 7 all round or an 8 all round in IELTS, taking PTE, and passing well? There is something fishy somewhere. And it's not just Nigerians...the Asians are also complaining. There was a guy who was struggling to get a 7 in writing. He took the PTE and scored an 80 or so in writing....after taking IELTS 3x. The equivalent of an 80 in writing is an 8 in IELTS....and there are many other examples too.

Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by bossladymo1: 7:48am On Jun 26, 2015
BKings:
Pls house, going with this profile:

Age.......30 points
qualification.....15 points
experience (2 yrs)....0 point
IELTS (assuming I make 7).....10 points
Total.......55 points

How do I get an extra 5 points to make it up, or is there no other hope?

State nomination 190 visa
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by izykvision0: 7:50am On Jun 26, 2015
ferdimako:

It is a known fact...but after two years of study ur post study visa is almost a guarantee. UK may kick u out!

UK will SURELY kick him out with pleasure after his 1yr Msc programme.

UK is a total waste of resources, except the person intends coming back to naija to romance the applicants job market or of course has the naija watch word: connection.

Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by Nobody: 8:43am On Jun 26, 2015
izykvision0:

UK is a total waste of resources, except the person intends coming back to naija to romance the applicants job market or of course has the naija watch word: connection.
You're right!

Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by erictack203(m): 8:43am On Jun 26, 2015
I know sm1 who finished from UK, started Undergraduate program and then postgraduate, after which, them let the guy enjoy the weather small and kicked him out after 1yr.

He ended up becoming a professional driver for a Company in 9ja. I am currently advising him towards studies in oz and possibly PR route.

The thing is, if UK don't reject your Visa up to 3 times after enjoying ur Visa fees, you will surely be kicked out after studies. Going tru UK is like sowing ur seed in another man's backyard. You may still beg for food after your degree, so my advice for the guy is to try oz and settle for life!

izykvision0:

Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by mrnilobrawn: 8:46am On Jun 26, 2015
cabayes:

Yes.. I only picked the course because it was the cheapest option in geosciences/ environmental area. The fear I have is that my tuition is more than my budget. That's 60k for 2 years or 8 million thereabout and no guaranteed of post study like the UK .can you recommend any other option?
Most you go for masters? Look for Tafe related courses nd go for jare.. Tafe fees are easy to save up and pay. You should know your budget man.

On the other news..
The system here is good every body should please come over.

TAX number via post today..checked
Bank account ..checked
Short Certificate courses for quick jobs.. check

Got nd did my first (small) job today. The Lord is good.

Chines vegetable is looking good on my egwusi soup.

More to come....

Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by surveyor1: 9:46am On Jun 26, 2015
ferdimako:

I urge you not to go to UK please, I bagged my Bsc there and despite no chance to get PR and the career prospect is daunting . Now , there is no post study visa again in the UK. 80% of my friends who graduated from UK University are back to Naija. I am not saying you cant triumph in the UK but weigh your option. Abeg you if you don't have Australia money, you can try US. Don't go to UK oooooo
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by scrollmeout(m): 9:48am On Jun 26, 2015
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by scrollmeout(m): 9:49am On Jun 26, 2015
Ifexsco, I am with @ewagbamio, bossladymo1 and co on this one.

I didn't get this this far in life by lazying around, i prepare for anything i undertake! I prepared for 2 months for my first IELTS, same for the others. I have the preparatory materials you mentioned and more.
The reason i was confident enough to apply for a remark is that i was fortunate enough to see and prepare for the essay 2 question the night before my exam. I found the questions on www.ieltsbuddy.com. They have a compilation of most of all the questions in IELTS question bank, it was just by chance that the last essay i wrote before i went to sleep was what came out in he exam. I had all the points in my head, all i had to do was articulate them on a piece of paper!
Guess what? same 'ol same 'ol. I wont dwell too much on this topic but i'd rather pray to God for guidance so my PTE result can do the "talking".

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/231707-ielts-v-s-pearson-test-english-academic-pte-academic-my-personal-findings.htmlo
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by bossladymo1: 9:58am On Jun 26, 2015
scrollmeout:
Ifexsco, I am with @ewagbamio, bossladymo1 and co on this one.

I didn't get this this far in life by lazying around, i prepare for anything i undertake! I prepared for 2 months for my first IELTS, same for the others. I have the preparatory materials you mentioned and more.
The reason i was confident enough to apply for a remark is that i was fortunate enough to see and prepare for the essay 2 question the night before my exam. I found the questions on www.ieltsbuddy.com. They have a compilation of most of all the questions in IELTS question bank, it was just by chance that the last essay i wrote before i went to sleep was what came out in he exam. I had all the points in my head, all i had to do was articulate them on a piece of paper!
Guess what? same 'ol same 'ol. I wont dwell too much on this topic but i'd rather pray to God for guidance so my PTE result can do the "talking".

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/231707-ielts-v-s-pearson-test-english-academic-pte-academic-my-personal-findings.htmlo

I can almost guarantee you will do better in the PTE. I wont say I was affected though, cos my score was reflective of how well I did. I would have definitely applied for a remark if I had gotten anything less than an 8 in the reading, listening or speaking part.
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by bossladymo1: 9:59am On Jun 26, 2015
mrnilobrawn:

Most you go for masters? Look for Tafe related courses nd go for jare.. Tafe fees are easy to save up and pay. You should know your budget man.

On the other news..

Bank account ..checked

More to come....

Hope you ticked you are a resident for tax purposes?
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by erictack203(m): 10:24am On Jun 26, 2015
@Mrnilobrawn smiley grin

quote author=mrnilobrawn post=35164948]

On the other news..

Bank account ..checked

More to come....[/quote]
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by BKings: 10:43am On Jun 26, 2015
bossladymo1:

State nomination 190 visa
Thank you bossladymo. How long does it take from the moment of assestment to invitation(approximately). I will be 33 by November, thats a loss of 5 points. Assuming I start with IELTS next month, do you think I can be invited b4 Nov?
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by chuckdee13(m): 10:49am On Jun 26, 2015
we being assessed by engineers australia unfortunately cant write PTE, so we're at the mercy of IELTS. heard that DIBP takes only what ur assessing body requires. u guys r lucky undecided
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by chuckdee13(m): 10:52am On Jun 26, 2015
if ur qualifications have already been assessed then I guess u will get invited before november if u start ASAP.
BKings:
Thank you bossladymo. How long does it take from the moment of assestment to invitation(approximately). I will be 33 by November, thats a loss of 5 points. Assuming I start with IELTS next month, do you think I can be invited b4 Nov?
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by bossladymo1: 10:54am On Jun 26, 2015
BKings:

Definitely you can. It depends on the state...but even the state with the longest wait time does not take more than 3 mths. Which state are you looking at? Which occupation? QLD will nominate you within 5 working days sef.
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by scrollmeout(m): 11:07am On Jun 26, 2015
chuckdee13:
we being assessed by engineers australia unfortunately cant write PTE, so we're at the mercy of IELTS. heard that DIBP takes only what ur assessing body requires. u guys r lucky undecided
@chuckdee13. To avoid misleading others, I advise u post or at least reference the source of n your information on matters like this. There is no such rule that DIBP only accepts what ur assessing body accepts. If you read the msa booklet and the FAQs I posted on this thread, all these issues were addressed.
Bro, please take time to read and don't be in a hurry to conclude. Immigration takes a lot of care and attention to detail to succeed.
EA guidelines state that they only accept IELTS band 6 on all four abilities. DIBP affirm take the final decision on your language ability, they only assess you on your skills assessment as obtained from the relevant body.

When it comes to language ability, you present any of the results as stated on imm.gov.au website. If EA accepts only IELTS, that's their kettle of fish not DIBP's. Give each of them what is due and you'll be fIne. I hope this helps.

Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by chuckdee13(m): 11:07am On Jun 26, 2015
bossladymo1 pls theres something I need to understand, must u choose a state ur going to during the eoi even if u want the 189?
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by chuckdee13(m): 11:09am On Jun 26, 2015
it really helps thx alot grin . this wasnt what I concluded though,its what someone on this thread told me. sorry if I misled anyone,wasnt my intention.
scrollmeout:

@chuckdee13. To avoid miss leading others, I advise u post or at least reference the source of n your information on matters like this. There is no such rule that Dibp on lo tanto takes what ur assessing body takes. If you read the msa booklet and the FAQs I posted on this thread, all theses issues were addressed. Bro, please take time to read and don't be in a hurry to conclude. Immigration takes a lot of care and attention to detail to succeed.
EA guidelines state that they only accept IELTS band 6 on all four abilities. DIBP affirm take the final decision on your language ability, they only assess you on your skills assessment as obtained fro the relevant body.

When it comes to language ability, you present any of the results as stated on imm.gov.au website. If EA accepts only IELTS, that's their kettle of fish not DIBP's. I hope this helps.

(1) (2) (3) ... (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) ... (511)

Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 8 / Usa Visit Visa

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68