Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,852 members, 7,813,906 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:09 PM

Speakership: Iriase Withdraws For Gbajabiamila - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Speakership: Iriase Withdraws For Gbajabiamila (991 Views)

How Buhari Got House Leader Job For Gbajabiamila - Vanguard / Vote For Gbajabiamila, Fani-kayode Urges PDP Lawmakers / Iriase Withdraws From Race, Backs Gbajabiamila - National Mirror (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Speakership: Iriase Withdraws For Gbajabiamila by agabusta: 4:39am On May 29, 2015
Speakership: Iriase withdraws for Gbajabiamila

Another strong contender for the speakership of the 8th House of Representatives, Mr. Pally Iriase, on Thursday, withdrew from the race.

In taking the decision, Iriase, an All Progressives Congress lawmaker from Edo State, declared his suppot for the candidature of the House Minority Leader, Mr. Femi Gbajabiamila.

Iriase took the decision barely three days after another contestant, Mr. Mohammed Monguno, also stepped down for Gbajabiamila.

Iriase said apart from trusting Gbajabiamila to preside over the next House, he had also come to the realisation that “acrimonious contest” for the position of the Speaker was unnecessary.

“With a deep sense of responsibility and sacrificial self-denial, I have decided, despite my robust qualifications, to quit the race and to fully support Gbajabiamila, the current Minority Leader, for the job,” Iriase told a news conference in Abuja.

Gbajabiamila, the Chairman, Committee on House Services, Mr. Yakubu Dogara, and Iriase have been the front runners for the number four job in the country.

However, the steps taken by Iriase and Monguno to back Gbajamialia were seen as moves to block the chances of Dogara, believed to be the minority leader’s real challenger.

Dogara (Bauchi State) and Monguno (Borno State) are from the North-East geopolitical zone.

Explaining why he backed Gbajabiamila instead of Dogara, the Edo lawmaker stated that the speakership of Dogara was not feasible in the present political arrangement in the country, saying it would not guarantee the equality of the North and the South in the sharing of key offices.

Iriase argued that it would be unfair for the North to produce the President, the Senate President, the Speaker and the Chief Justice of Nigeria, while leaving the South with only the position of the Vice President.

He said, “The reason is that a Dogara speakership under the current reality will be insensitive, repugnant to equity and good conscience and will not be feasible, as it flies in the face of all precedents and the principle of Federal Character.

“The other reasons are that Gbajabiamila is detribalised, urbane, cerebral and independent-minded.

“He has been with us in the trenches for opposition politics, armed with stoic vision of a better Nigeria.”

Reacting to Iraise’s decision, Gbajabiamila, who was elated, described it as a “welcome development.”

He said, “This is giving us the geographical spread that we need; two people have so far stepped down for me.”

Asked for his opinion on zoning, Gbajabiamila said that he was running his campaign, irrespective of what the “thinking” of the APC might be on the zoning of political offices.

He said he had always held the belief that the best candidate should emerge as the Speaker with the backing of the majority of members.

Copyright PUNCH.

http://www.punchng.com/politics/speakership-iriase-withdraws-for-gbajabiamila/
Re: Speakership: Iriase Withdraws For Gbajabiamila by agabusta: 4:40am On May 29, 2015
APC settling their issues pragmatically and maturely grin, in Nigerian parlance, small small smiley smiley

We told some haters that APC can resolve it's issues, but their envy and dark soul will never make them agree. They have been predicting doom for APC since inception, and they have been pathetically disappointed all the way grin

When chairmanship tussle came up, they started salivating and gallivanting about claiming the demise of APC is bout to happen. The issue was resolved and the chairman eventually picked performed credibly well in managing the party.

When the choice of VP arose, these children of hate and anger was there as well with their evil wish of confusion. But God disappointed them by bringing forth his servant, a very intelligent gentleman and a thorough professional. I describe the VP Elect, Prof Yemi Osinbajo as the new administration's 'game changer'. All of u haters will see his sterling performance with your very eyes.

The haters are still not relenting, only God knows where haters derive their energy from. Dem no dey tire. They are already rejoicing that...yes! distribution of positions in the NA will finally scatter the APC but they are in for a rude shock.

APC is a child of destiny at these trying times. God allowed them the victory to use them to write a better story for Nigeria. And every sane Nigerian should support them.

Gbajabiamila is an intelligent and well experienced member of the House of Rep. He'll make a fine Speaker.

Haters should pls downtool and use their energy to pray for the success of the new administration as all of us, including our friends, families and acquaintances will be the beneficiaries of the good governance.

May God furnish MBuhari/PYO with wisdom and strength to take Nigeria far far higher than they met it.

Amen.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Speakership: Iriase Withdraws For Gbajabiamila by ramdris(m): 4:42am On May 29, 2015
And that is what is obtainable in a mature society! Thanks Iriase for Femi is the best option.

3 Likes

Re: Speakership: Iriase Withdraws For Gbajabiamila by modath(f): 4:43am On May 29, 2015
Pally Iriase is a smart man, he knew he had no hope of attaining that position but in order to get "compensated" with a juicy committee chairman position, the only way to go is to vie, withdraw towards the very "end" be seen as a good "sportsman".

Way to go.

1 Like

Re: Speakership: Iriase Withdraws For Gbajabiamila by Nobody: 4:48am On May 29, 2015
God bless him for this good move.
Gbajabiamila, Gods willing you will be the next speaker!

3 Likes

Re: Speakership: Iriase Withdraws For Gbajabiamila by ki02020(m): 4:50am On May 29, 2015
Gbajabiamila for speaker cool

3 Likes

Re: Speakership: Iriase Withdraws For Gbajabiamila by PassingShot(m): 4:51am On May 29, 2015
The coast is getting clearer for Femi Gbajabiamila to become Speaker.

If this sails through, I think Lawan will likely be Senate President. And if Saraki is decided as the Senate president, I believe Femi's chances will be diminished.

2 Likes

Re: Speakership: Iriase Withdraws For Gbajabiamila by kayboy4y(m): 5:34am On May 29, 2015
We are watching.
Re: Speakership: Iriase Withdraws For Gbajabiamila by dwilliams: 6:11am On May 29, 2015
In Reminisce voice "all i wanna do. Is-make FP"
Re: Speakership: Iriase Withdraws For Gbajabiamila by Chiefpriest1(m): 6:11am On May 29, 2015
Gbaja is eminently qualified to be speaker. I ll be glad if he emerges. I really don't know much about the other guy.

But if gbaja wins,he should purge himself of opposition politics. He has been in the opposition long enough that he might just be used to always opposing.lol

Nigeria needs a speaker who ll put this country first. Nobody should negotiate away our common good.

2 Likes

Re: Speakership: Iriase Withdraws For Gbajabiamila by omah1(f): 11:06pm On Jun 02, 2015
thanks
Re: Speakership: Iriase Withdraws For Gbajabiamila by ObaiUz: 12:24am On Jun 03, 2015
I BELIEVE GOD IS AT WORK... BUT LET US STILL PRAY FOR OUR LEADERS TO HAVE THE INTEREST OF THE NATION IN MIND ABOVE OTHER INTEREST.
SO HELP US GOD
AMEN....
Re: Speakership: Iriase Withdraws For Gbajabiamila by realjoker(m): 1:29am On Jun 03, 2015
This is a bad news for childrel of hateist

(1) (Reply)

Re: Saraki Insults VP Osinbajo For Convening APC Peace Meeting / Tinubu's Niece Speakes On Nigerian Health Care (video) - Cramjones / I Am Now Confident That APC Will Not Last To See 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.