Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,411 members, 7,815,922 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:04 PM

Medical Negligence In Nigerian University Clinics Has To Stop!!! - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Medical Negligence In Nigerian University Clinics Has To Stop!!! (18057 Views)

Woman Dies In Tender Hospital Enugu Due To Alleged Negligence / How Doctor’s Negligence Made Me Impotent (pictured) / Medical Negligence In A Hospital In Lagos. Read This Shocking Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Medical Negligence In Nigerian University Clinics Has To Stop!!! by otokx(m): 12:45am On Jun 02, 2015
We must reap what we sow, when our politicians have headache they go to Europe for treatment.

We have to ensure that the politicians use the same run down facilities in Nigeria then they will ensure it is upgraded, expanded and functional.

lastly is the issue of power, without power the best medical staff cannot do anything.
Re: Medical Negligence In Nigerian University Clinics Has To Stop!!! by olu4life(m): 12:46am On Jun 02, 2015
babyosisi:

You never see anything
They will be there eating groundnut and banana and cracking jokes
Emergency means nothing in Nigeria
Patients walk into emergency rooms on their two feet and die In That emergency room hours later without laying eyes on any doctors
God help you if you happen to fall sick on eid- el - fitri or Easter
Your own don finish na
The nurses will curse you for coming at that time and certainly no doctor will come by
Nigerian nurses na another story
Many of them are not even fit to take care of fowls in a poultry let alone humans
Loool.... Reminded of my day with one of the clinic nurses. Had ulcer attack for the first time, had to rush down to the clinic around 10pm. The nurse on duty starting complainin and grumbling saying why didnt I wait till the next morning, she got a classic response. Well I normally get reply for them sha. No be only them get bad mouth.

1 Like

Re: Medical Negligence In Nigerian University Clinics Has To Stop!!! by Ewuro4: 12:50am On Jun 02, 2015
School clinics hmmm everyone has something or two to say , I've been forgoteen and locked up once before. Why are closed to begin with, I thought clinics operate 24/7 And the nurses attitudes , looking back, how did they forget me sef, I thought Nurses are supposed to do hourly round to check the patients?

Gosh, the whole Institution healthcare system requires a major overhaul of policies & procedures. Fire the old goons and hire fresh graduates that wants to work.

MODS Please front page.... Justice for JUSTIN!

2 Likes

Re: Medical Negligence In Nigerian University Clinics Has To Stop!!! by Nobody: 1:01am On Jun 02, 2015
olu4life:

Loool.... Reminded of my day with one of the clinic nurses. Had ulcer attack for the first time, had to rush down to the clinic around 10pm. The nurse on duty starting complainin and grumbling saying why didnt I wait till the next morning, she got a classic response. Well I normally get reply for them sha. No be only them get bad mouth.

It's only in Nigeria that a nurse will come to a patient's family yawning and tell them she is about to go and sleep and that they shouldn't call her again till morning.
That's why many of them lose their licenses here in America
They will want to do corner corner or attempt that rudeness and be reminded quickly that they are not at FMC in their village

3 Likes

Re: Medical Negligence In Nigerian University Clinics Has To Stop!!! by eyinjuege: 1:04am On Jun 02, 2015
Ahh, the medical profession is one that few understand, and unless you are trained in that field you may never really understand the basis for taking certain decisions. I will try to give some scenarios....

1. A patient comes in late at night with features of acute appendicitis, you admit, run certain necessary investigations and start on drips & antibiotics that are IV. Note the patient is not allowed to eat. After 24 hours, the patient feels better and all features of appendicitis disappears.
He no longer is an emergency. You have the option of discharging him home for scheduled surgery at a later date or still keeping him to remove the appendix at a time that is convenient because you have other patients that need surgery more urgently. But he doesn't understand that, he feels he came first and his surgery should be done immediately, he gets angry and screams negligence.

2. Another patient B comes in now, also with features of appendicitis but with a twist. His appendix has ruptured/perforated so he has a complication of peritonitis. He needs urgent immediate surgery no doubt. More serious than patient A. You admit him, stop all meals and drinks, start him on drip, IV antibiotics, and do his investigations which takes several hours. But alas, you still cannot do the surgery not because you are negligent, or the logistics are poor but BECAUSE his investigations show some abnormality such as low potassium levels in the blood which can lead to cardiac arrest. You need to correct this with some medication else that patient is almost 100% certain of dying on the operating table.
His relatives however don't want to understand that, they say you are delaying things. He needs urgent operation, and you guys are wasting time, not knowing you his care providers are more fearful of his low potassium than even the perforated appendix.
The patient's surgery is further delayed by a day. I hear the screams of negligence from his relatives, and starvation. He has been stopped from eating.
The surgery can only be done after you have successfully corrected the low potassium, and repeated the tests to confirm this.

3. Patient C also comes in two days later, with features of acute appendicitis, you examine him and he's in serious pains. You stop his meals, do his tests, start him on IV antibiotics and drips. Remember patient A is stable, and no longer an emergency, patient B is still being optimized for surgery.
Patient C is however lucky, his results are fine, there is light in the OR- operating room. Hurray!!! Someone that can enter the OR at last. The anesthetists come and put him to sleep, you the surgeon examine his abdomen whilst patient is under anesthesia before trying to cut him up BUT ALAS you discover he has an appendeceal mass (another complication of appendicitis) where immediate surgery is CONTRAINDICATED.
You walk out dejected out of the OR to inform another set of relatives that surgery has been cancelled once again. You hear screams of negligence and incompetence. You try to explain the mass has to be given time to resolve and you can only do the surgery 3 months after that, but they scream, we have paid for the surgery, why didn't you say this before. Well I couldn't detect the mass because C was in too much pain, with so much guarding and until he was put to sleep and and abdominal muscles relaxed, the mass couldn't be felt.

4. D also comes in with features of appendicitis, you stop his feeding, start drip and antibiotics, do his tests and all normal and then take him to the OR and he has his appendix removed immediately. The lucky bastaerd came last and had his appendix removed first. His relatives say your hospital and its care providers are the most competent in the whole world. They came in the morning, and by afternoon his appendix was out.

Hey, I could go on and on. All these 4 patients had acute appendicitis, but their modes of management were all different, MOST OF THEIR SURGERIES WERE DELAYED AND RIGHTLY SO!!!. But they may not really understand that. The others may feel patient D gave some doctors and nurses bribe hence his surgery was done immediately.

Decisions taken on the care of patients depends on the individual cases with its uniqueness.
This is not to absolve any health worker of incompetence or to promote mediocrity or avoid accountability but to let us understand a bit more the processes involved in taking certain clinical decisions.
Most health workers don't communicate EXPLICITLY with their patients and a lot of patients too don't ask questions.

sORRY for the long epistle grin

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Medical Negligence In Nigerian University Clinics Has To Stop!!! by Nobody: 1:34am On Jun 02, 2015
eyinjuege:
Ahh, the medical profession is one that few understand, and unless you are trained in that field you may never really understand the basis for taking certain decisions. I will try to give some scenarios....

1. A patient comes in late at night with features of acute appendicitis, you admit, run certain necessary investigations and start on drips & antibiotics that are IV. Note the patient is not allowed to eat. After 24 hours, the patient feels better and all features of appendicitis disappears.
He no longer is an emergency. You have the option of discharging him home for scheduled surgery at a later date or still keeping him to remove the appendix at a time that is convenient because you have other patients that need surgery more urgently. But he doesn't understand that, he feels he came first and his surgery should be done immediately, he gets angry and screams negligence.

2. Another patient B comes in now, also with features of appendicitis but with a twist. His appendix has ruptured/perforated so he has a complication of peritonitis. He needs urgent immediate surgery no doubt. More serious than patient A. You admit him, stop all meals and drinks, start him on drip, IV antibiotics, and do his investigations which takes several hours. But alas, you still cannot do the surgery not because you are negligent, or the logistics are poor but BECAUSE his investigations show some abnormality such as low potassium levels in the blood which can lead to cardiac arrest. You need to correct this with some medication else that patient is almost 100% certain of dying on the operating table.
His relatives however don't want to understand that, they say you are delaying things. He needs urgent operation, and you guys are wasting time, not knowing you his care providers are more fearful of his low potassium than even the perforated appendix.
The patient's surgery is further delayed by a day. I hear the screams of negligence from his relatives, and starvation. He has been stopped from eating.
The surgery can only be done after you have successfully corrected the low potassium, and repeated the tests to confirm this.

3. Patient C also comes in two days later, with features of acute appendicitis, you examine him and he's in serious pains. You stop his meals, do his tests, start him on IV antibiotics and drips. Remember patient A is stable, and no longer an emergency, patient B is still being optimized for surgery.
Patient C is however lucky, his results are fine, there is light in the OR- operating room. Hurray!!! Someone that can enter the OR at last. The anesthetists come and put him to sleep, you the surgeon examine his abdomen whilst patient is under anesthesia before trying to cut him up BUT ALAS you discover he has an appendeceal mass (another complication of appendicitis) where immediate surgery is CONTRAINDICATED.
You walk out dejected out of the OR to inform another set of relatives that surgery has been cancelled once again. You hear screams of negligence and incompetence. You try to explain the mass has to be given time to resolve and you can only do the surgery 3 months after that, but they scream, we have paid for the surgery, why didn't you say this before. Well I couldn't detect the mass because C was in too much pain, with so much guarding and until he was put to sleep and and abdominal muscles relaxed, the mass couldn't be felt.

4. D also comes in with features of appendicitis, you stop his feeding, start drip and antibiotics, do his tests and all normal and then take him to the OR and he has his appendix removed immediately. The lucky bastaerd came last and had his appendix removed first. His relatives say your hospital and its care providers are the most competent in the whole world. They came in the morning, and by afternoon his appendix was out.

Hey, I could go on and on. All these 4 patients had acute appendicitis, but their modes of management were all different, MOST OF THEIR SURGERIES WERE DELAYED AND RIGHTLY SO!!!. But they may not really understand that. The others may feel patient D gave some doctors and nurses bribe hence his surgery was done immediately.

Decisions taken on the care of patients depends on the individual cases with its uniqueness.
This is not to absolve any health worker of incompetence or to promote mediocrity or avoid accountability but to let us understand a bit more the processes involved in taking certain clinical decisions.
Most health workers don't communicate EXPLICITLY with their patients and a lot of patients too don't ask questions.

sORRY for the long epistle grin

Chai
When will we get to the stage of carrying out a quick scan right there in the hospital not in some facility miles away
How can a doctor open up a patient and close them up when a simple scan could have told him what he was dealing with?
We have ways to how mehn

As for scenario number two,no surgeon in the western world would delay emergency surgery for a ruptured appendix because of hypokalemia
Infuse the patient slowly with potassium and take your chances
If you don't the septicemia from his ruptured appendix will surely kill him
Re: Medical Negligence In Nigerian University Clinics Has To Stop!!! by eyinjuege: 1:40am On Jun 02, 2015
babyosisi:

Chai
When will we get to the stage of carrying out a quick scan right there in the hospital not in some facility miles away
How can a doctor open up a patient and close them up when a simple scan could have told him what he was dealing with?
We have ways to how mehn

Haaaa, but from my stories madam, nobody was ever opened up and closed up except patient D who had his surgery done. Patient C never was opened up, but had an EUA done.
That's examination under anesthesia which is a completely acceptable procedure worldwide
. Before any appendectomy is done, you must out of due diligence do an EUA. Don't forget, your scans and its interpretations are highly subjective and your clinical skills hardly ever fail you.

5 Likes

Re: Medical Negligence In Nigerian University Clinics Has To Stop!!! by Nobody: 1:51am On Jun 02, 2015
RIP to the dead student. The late student's family have the option of suing the school's medical clinic for negligence; or both parties could reach an out-of-court settlement in a specified amount.
Re: Medical Negligence In Nigerian University Clinics Has To Stop!!! by Nobody: 1:59am On Jun 02, 2015
Spambot keeps banning me
What is going on?
I type replies and the stupid thing bans me
I have run out of handles,now down to my last card
Now I am scared of quoting people grin
CFCfan say a prayer my enemies are at work but they won't succeed
Re: Medical Negligence In Nigerian University Clinics Has To Stop!!! by Nobody: 3:24am On Jun 02, 2015
The exact same attitude of nurses in FUTA clinic during my university days.
Re: Medical Negligence In Nigerian University Clinics Has To Stop!!! by Nobody: 4:37am On Jun 02, 2015
Very funny,lux soap imagine,and thats longtime o,now imagine what is happening now.
babyosisi:
I was bitten by a snake on campus at about 8 PM at night while walking down a dark road with my bobo
My boyfriend tied his shirt on my leg and carried me on his manly shoulders to the medical center on campus grin
On getting there,no doctor,the ambulance had no fuel
The nurse used lux soap and cleaned the spot where's I was bitten shocked shocked
The nurses were coming every 5-10 minute to check if I was still alive
3 hours later,the ambulance came and took me to the teaching hospital's accident and emergency unit
I was seen by the house officer on call,who took notes and went away
The consultant,his residents and students on rotation came on their rounds about 9 AM
The doctor asked the time of the bite, I told him,he asked what type of snake,duh,said if the snake was poisonous I should have died hours ago and he discharged me.

That was my experience

1 Like

Re: Medical Negligence In Nigerian University Clinics Has To Stop!!! by Nobody: 4:40am On Jun 02, 2015
uplawal:
Very funny,lux soap imagine,and thats longtime o,now imagine what is happening now.

Yes o lux.
She didn't even open a new tablet
It was half a tablet near a wash hand basin that she grabbed nearby and brought a basin of water with cloth and started wiping my angle with it.
Lol

How are you and the baby jare ?
Longest time

Spambot banned me
Re: Medical Negligence In Nigerian University Clinics Has To Stop!!! by Nobody: 4:50am On Jun 02, 2015
babyosisi:

There were definite mark(s) on my ankle
I saw them and so did my boyfriend
When I stepped,the snake encircled my leg and I flung my leg out reflexly and it flew off and slithered into the bushes
Whether the mark was a bite or a scratch from the scales,your guess is as good as mine but there was a definite mark
Washing a bite with a lux soap nearby is certainly the lowest of the low IMHO
Waiting three whole hours to be transported to a teaching hospital ( that couldn't do much anyway) is certainly not standard of care anywhere.
It was fruitless at that point
One week after this incidence,I did pull out something that looked like a small needle tip from the exact same spot I felt the bite
If this had been a poisonous snake,They would have simply watched me die the same way they watched some other students die
I would have been long dead in that medical center

That is the whole point of this story

Speaking as a doc who has spent some time treating snake bite victims in rural hospitals(again not the most pleasant aspect of my career).

1.Most poisonous snakes when they bite do not inject poison. Especially as they are not in a ''position'' to settle down and do the deed.

2.Wise medics use the Whole Blood Clotting Test to find out if you have been poisoned by a biting snake. Blood is taken from you and placed in a clean tube. If it clots in four minutes....you are safe.If it does not clot in twenty minutes...and for a long time thereafter....oops. sad.

The basis of the test is that snake venom contains chemicals that prevent the blood from clotting. Also....if your bite wound continues bleeding....that is another warning sign.(Infact...research is going on into potential medical uses for snake venom.).

3.Of course they should not have washed the bite site with soap. Should not have even touched it. But if they did no 2 above...and found out that the blood clotted in normal time.....then they knew that they need not worry.

4.Transfer to a teaching hospital? Now that is where funding for healthcare comes in....another long discussion.

3 Likes

Re: Medical Negligence In Nigerian University Clinics Has To Stop!!! by onyxo76(m): 5:02am On Jun 02, 2015
Gboliwe:
What a sad story! May their souls rest in peace.

The FG through the ministry of health has passed a law mandating every tertiary institution to key into the NHIS for all students. This is to curb this kind of avoidable death and pain. I am still in awe how some school management do not want to take advantage of this noble scheme.

students are already on an insurance scheme called tiship-its 1600/session and covers all treatment
Re: Medical Negligence In Nigerian University Clinics Has To Stop!!! by hrhobi1(m): 5:48am On Jun 02, 2015
Big Mouths, Come out from your hiding holes and let's form a protest march, I guess only 3 people will appear in person.

1 Like

Re: Medical Negligence In Nigerian University Clinics Has To Stop!!! by onyxo76(m): 5:54am On Jun 02, 2015
As a health worker in a university clinic let me drop a few lines,
First it's sad that a life was lost but then let me point out some mistakes that students commit..

1. A large number of students never register in school clinic hence there is no record to trace,that's why
the card was asked for,though he could have had some care till he stable enough to identify himself.
There was a case of a student from another school who came visiting and had to be referred to the teaching hospital only
to sneak out after treatment and at the end the poor doctor on duty had to foot the bills as he wasn't a student of that
school.

2.In any emergency don't ever wait for ambulance services as most clinics have just one which might been used to convey a
bad case to a tertiary center,carry the sick person as best as you to the clinic .

3.Most students over burden the few workers on duty especially late at night,i've seen cases of students coming at 1am to complain of pimples
and vaginal discharge -these are cases that could have seen during the day and leave the workers to deal with serious cases that might
present at night. you can't expect the single doctor on duty to attend to you when he has a bad case of sickle cell crisis that he is trying to stabilize .

i'm not trying to exonerate the workers on duty that night but students also have a role to play,my condolences to late students family .

3 Likes

Re: Medical Negligence In Nigerian University Clinics Has To Stop!!! by Foxycute(m): 5:54am On Jun 02, 2015
Wat a waste.
Re: Medical Negligence In Nigerian University Clinics Has To Stop!!! by Foxycute(m): 5:55am On Jun 02, 2015
After some people will be calling Jonathan wicked. Wen we cant take care of people under us. That's d problem with health personel, thank God I and my team are not this Way. RIP to d dead.
Re: Medical Negligence In Nigerian University Clinics Has To Stop!!! by Wkaay(m): 6:14am On Jun 02, 2015
RIP
Re: Medical Negligence In Nigerian University Clinics Has To Stop!!! by ybalogs(m): 6:26am On Jun 02, 2015
Really really sad and it's not just in Nigerian schools. Most private hospitals are guilty of these allegations as well. I really don't know how they're trained. All they care about is money rather than the precious life before them. All in all I believe destiny plays a lot as when we finally give up and these clinics/hospitals are just scape goats but still the negligence has to stop.
May God give the families of the deceased the strength to move on.
Re: Medical Negligence In Nigerian University Clinics Has To Stop!!! by Nobody: 6:44am On Jun 02, 2015
Kinfunfun22:

The doctor might as well be postponing the surgery to save your brother's life from the risk of undergoing a surgery without the necessary equipments and logistics. That's why you have to talk to him and know why he's doing that. There might also be patients with worse conditions that require more urgent attention than your brother with paucity of equipments to to attend to all of them at a time...Never say never bro.

And if you think they are useless, why not operate on your brother yourself? Let's be sensible please. If you don't like their services, go to another hospital.
african sense.in my own profession i did it the way my client wil be happy.in national hospital doctors wil told you to go get blood in blood bank if i see attendant there if i dont see i should come back tomorrow wtf?.& you re here spewing thrash i no your type will come to back this story up but nemesis must visit u pple.you mean they re postponding the operation to save his life therefore abandoned him for 4days?is dat part of saving live?smh for this country & u as well
Re: Medical Negligence In Nigerian University Clinics Has To Stop!!! by Nobody: 6:46am On Jun 02, 2015
DrWhizy:
sir, why leave your elder brother in the hand of trained fools? Why not carry out the procedures yourself? Your choice of words are just puerile.
i have spoken nemesis must catch up wit u pple up
Re: Medical Negligence In Nigerian University Clinics Has To Stop!!! by kinguwem: 6:58am On Jun 02, 2015
The deaths of the students are unfortunate & regretable. However, the University Medical Centre should not take all the blame. The healthcare delivery system should. Time has come for universal coverage of the National Health Insurance Scheme. This will provide cheap & affordable healthcare. Students should be trained on basic life-saving skills. Cardio-pulmonary resuscitation should have been done immediately the student collapsed. Finally, some persons have undiagnosed diseases including congenital diseases that may manifest as sudden collapse.
Re: Medical Negligence In Nigerian University Clinics Has To Stop!!! by Sadorasolomon: 7:03am On Jun 02, 2015
Should the doctors & nurses not attempt to look after & treat patients??should they not attempt to give some sort of explanation?we know that these medical practitioners are human...but they are not God's.
People,this is a serious problem...why is life so cheap in Nigeria?why are hospitals,nurses & doctors above the law?why are we allowing them to act with impunity?There are too many unbelievable stories,that are true,on this forum about what we have witnessed...& will continue to witness & experience till we collectively demand accountability & improvements from the medical profession.
#Justice4Justin.
Re: Medical Negligence In Nigerian University Clinics Has To Stop!!! by SISI1: 7:20am On Jun 02, 2015
Yet another case; how a man lost his baby due to 'system failure at a hospital'.
https://www.nairaland.com/2347389/lost-baby-system-failure
Re: Medical Negligence In Nigerian University Clinics Has To Stop!!! by Rhoteabarca(m): 7:57am On Jun 02, 2015
I wonder if d medical personnels would do dsame tin if they were son or daughter of d sch VC. God is watching buh we students must let dem suffer by beating dem nd closing-down d sch anytime dis apuns! So so annoying wit d1 I witness in ma sch, UI.

1 Like

Re: Medical Negligence In Nigerian University Clinics Has To Stop!!! by Nobody: 8:00am On Jun 02, 2015
babyosisi:

You are certainly very stupeed
I'm sure you are also not smart enough to know that non venomous snakes also have fangs
At what point does one know a snake is venomous or non venomous?
When the patient is not exhibiting any symptoms or when they die ?
So you observe them till they die if that is what will happen abi
That is the extent of snake bite treatment in a Nigerian hospital and the urgency in treating
That is the moral of my story but of course you are too thick to grasp that,ode
Some were not as lucky
Students have died from snake bites and the treatment I got was not different from what they got
Mine just happened to be a Non venomous snake

You see why I say you are a quack? Almost all snakes have teeth but only poisonous snakes have fangs (google is your friend) and If the snake was venomous, the bite site will be red (erythema) and swollen, and it will most certainly be very painful. Poisonous snakes have immediate effects like continuous bleeding from the site of bite, muscle weakness etc.

You've proven to be a quack and I won't honor you with any subsequent response. And don't ever in your life think you are better in any way than Nigerian doctors because the US you are in have abundant facilities and the doctors there may just give antisnake venom to a patient like that without using clinical judgment because there is abundant resources but a Nigerian doctor doesn't have that luxury of abundant resources and he always uses his clinical skills and knowledge first, and that's why the are usually better doctors. grin

5 Likes

Re: Medical Negligence In Nigerian University Clinics Has To Stop!!! by phineas: 8:19am On Jun 02, 2015
Dr Bashing.... Nigerians favourite.

Its unfortunate the practising ones been sacrificed on the altar of public opinion rarely use social media hence do not defend themselves ,the confidentiality clause also restricts them from proferring their sides of the story NMA really has to address that.

Now my contribution to this case and a few others and I'll say it as it is....

No's 1,that grieving patients lie.

Whether from the denial stage of grief, to the anger stage or watever other personnal vendata ish reason they ave, most Nigerian patients with all this horrid stories ave grief tainted tales hence it common sense that it cannot in any way be accurate. Same as a lie.

No's 2 , if you're not a health practitioner you should take a chill pill till you have the full facts.Because u can be certain there's so much at stake in the final decisions affecting life/ death in every case and till we've scrutinized them closely this shaming and blaming of health workers is plain irresponsible,unproductive behaviour that makes the nation loose confidence in its health system instead of addressing it to make it better,it also leaves bitter health workers who simply dump their sthetescope and hike.

Now 3,that every health system that's strong came from a place as bad and sometimes worse than ours that strengthening a system involves taking a critical look at why and how we make it better not demonizing workers.

Now 4, that this seeming harmless bashing is having its repercurssions ,young doctors are leaving by droves.who wants to practice where ure underpaid,devalued abused and vilified.

That said.... Nobody transfuses at 27% except under very very rare circumstances,that an exchange blood transfusion is required in jaundice with high values which the baby that died probably had,that no bed space is a norm in Nigeria.I have had to refer as far as uch ibadan once instead of parambolating Lagos for space,that every doctor has given beyond his call of duty in Nigeria, yes every doctor .we are trained to do so and the system is run with a no excuses manner, that's the only reason we get results ingenuity beyond the call of duty, extra hrs ,working outside our jurisdiction, and yes we give our money all the time ( would u watch a child die because parents can't afford 500 or 2000 naira antibiotics?,or fever continue unabated because no pcm of 100 naira, or refuse to give iv drugs cos no canulla)that sometimes centers dont have methylated spirits and basic necesities from no funding ,hence asking for a functional ambulance is certain places is OYO, that most hospitals we still glorify were build in the 1960's for that era and standard and we have not added enough to cater to our growing population, hence no bedspace....I could go on.....

And that's a few of the truths in the industry.that the community should engage the system at the level of productive dialogue asking, what are the problems how do we make it better rather than this unproductive bashing that achieves nothing.

2 Likes

Re: Medical Negligence In Nigerian University Clinics Has To Stop!!! by dumodust(m): 8:27am On Jun 02, 2015
emperorizzy:
#JUSTICE FOR JUSTIN
THE TRUE ACCOUNT FROM JUSTIN'S MOTHER
My son, Yves Justin Nnamdi Ukwu died on the 26th of may, 2015. He was a 200 level undergraduate student of international studies and diplomacy at the Benson Idahosa University, Benin, at the Health Plus Medical Center of the institution.
He was admitted at the medical centre on Sunday, May 24th, 2015, drips administered, no food given despite pleas from his school friends for food and further treatment/attention for him. His last words to me were Okay, Good night, I’m very tired now, at 21:20pm on Monday May 25th, 2015.
On Tuesday, May 26th, 2015 at 9:12am a phone call was placed to me from 08188781415 informing me that my son was being moved from the school Medical Center to their affiliated specialist Clinic, Faith Mediplex, to receive blood transfusion AND would be discharged that evening. I was assured that his condition was not serious and then proceeded to give his medical history of malaria spleen.
Unfortunately, from 12:17pm that day, I started receiving calls from Dr. Idahosa of Faith Mediplex, Benin, she said that my son’s condition was serious. I arrived Benin at 17:17hrs from Port Harcourt, traced Faith Mediplex and left unattended for over 30minutes. After much insistence on my part, I was eventually informed that my son had died of a sickle cell crisis at 2:15pm on that day, May 26, 2015. How can this have happened when my son was NOT a sickle cell patient? My genotype is AS while his father is AA.
QUESTIONS
1)Why was my son, Justin, kept on drips without food for his entire stay in the school medical centre despite the pleas of his friends?
2)The minimum PVC level required for blood transfusion in a human being is 45, why was Justin Ukwu still left unattended to when his PVC level dropped to 27?
3)Why was no call put through to his next of kin through out his ill health till 9:12am on 26/05/2015 when he was dying AND even then, the true state of his health NOT divulged?
4)Why was he denied proper medical attention? Even if he was a sickler, was the treatment given to him the right treatment for someone in that condition? Starvation, abandonment, verbal and physical abuse are definitely NOT integral parts in managing any illness.
5)Why is there such a concerted attempt to distort/deny that such an act of criminal negligence occurred from the primary care givers, the marina Consultants (HMO) and the Benson Idahosa University, Benin which has a chief Medical Director and whose parent body runs a specialist clinic, Faith Mediplex, which has surgeons, nurses and other medical staff who could have been seconded to the University Medical Centre.
My questions must be answered and until they are, I will continue to fight for justice for my beloved, caring, gentle son, Yves Justin Nnamdi Ineye Ukwu.
This tragedy must never reoccur,
# Justice for Justin.
Signed: Margaret Nnennaya Ekpeyong Ukwu MOTHER.

Condolences to the mother of the child but I also think her grief has made her in typical nigerian fashion to be apportioning blames to innocent people in the media. From this story alone, I see no evidence of medical negligence or wrong doing. Drips contain glucose and fluid and may suffice if the patient is not to be fed for several reasons. Any sickle cell patient in crisis is place on a drip because it's the fastest way to rehydrate him and prevent further crisis. normal people are not even transfused at pcv of 27 and for a sickle cell patient, at pcv of 22, we may not still transfuse for several reasons. Its not a joke that it is called sickle cell 'anaemia'- the patient is used to a low blood level. Some forms of crisis may require transfusion.
In conclusion, sickle cell anaemia patients are fragile, the outcome is always unpredictable, many die and sickle cell disease can affect all the body systems and cause harm, doctor's conclusions are in order.
This case wont last long in court
it is also sad that nigerians don't google and have no knowledge of sickle cell anaemia which is our affliction.

1 Like

Re: Medical Negligence In Nigerian University Clinics Has To Stop!!! by SISI1: 8:31am On Jun 02, 2015
He did not have sickle cell!!!!! He was AA

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Asthma Patients. How Do You Make Your Life Bearable? / HORRIBLE: See What HIV/AIDS Did To This Girl (photos) / Wear Face-mask If You Are Over 60 Years, When Going Out - WHO (6 June 2020)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.