Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,209 members, 7,829,330 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:42 AM

Would You Marry An Osu? - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Would You Marry An Osu? (27462 Views)

Anything Wrong With Marrying An Osu(outcast From Some Parts Of Igboland) / Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? / My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Go Down)

Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by Nobody: 11:30pm On Jul 14, 2007
It is evil and ought to be condemned in every way possible.
We are all equal in Gods eyes.

Tosh how's our new wife doing?
You've been so scarce here since she arrived
Softly softly O

shall we get ready for naming ceremony in 9 months?
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by Esoterik(f): 12:35am On Jul 16, 2007
toshmann:

@esoterik
the fact that your surname is nwosu does not mean you are osu. if i have my facts right, you assumed you are osu b/c your maiden name is nwosu. well that's not so.

the osu thingy is a terrible stain on ibo culture. anyway, i do believe it will go with time. i personally see it as a form of racism. some peeps may disagree. no wahala. but that's how i see it.

@ toshmann

thanks for your comments , i have since realised that i am not descendant of osu, but it doesnt change the way i feel about it - i abhor those who promote it.
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by toshmann(m): 6:34pm On Jul 16, 2007
@BabyO
nne, na wa o, cheesy no be so them de take born pikin asap grin anyway, i've been scrace b/c i was banned grin and kinda i was also very busy during the ban (what a timely banning grin) our my wife is fine grin aga m agwa gi oge de mmemme ga adi

@Esoterik
you are welcome wink

1 Like

Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by Nobody: 11:09pm On Jul 16, 2007
So we conclude that Esoterik is a partial dumbo. . .What Igbo person doesn't know that your name being Nwosu does not mean you're an Osu?

1 Like

Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by Nobody: 11:27pm On Jul 16, 2007
don't mind all these foreign raised Igbos.
What do they know? lipsrsealed
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by Mandora(f): 1:04pm On Jul 17, 2007
As an Igbo girl, I can only pray dat I dont have 2 go through dat xperience. Osus r human just like anyone and I have nothing against dem but men it wld pose serious problems n in d long run it wld put strains on d marriage. Dats why I personally am not looking out 2 marry an Igbo guy. I wont b able 2 take it if I have 2 fall in love wit a person n someone wld come n tell me he's Osu n I cant marry him
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by Esoterik(f): 1:20am On Jul 19, 2007
@ Donzmann

Thank you for your comment.  I can answer that for you love -  a person whose mind has not been corrupted with this evil custom might not know whether they are Osu or not.  A person who has been raised outside of such a divisive and discriminative culture might not know about it.  Us foreign-born igbos are a progressive, bunch - at least some of us recognise the need to strengthen bonds within our culture rather than weaken them (us Nigerians have enough problems). Obviously calling me names over the internet is more your speed -  i mudt have hit  a nerve or something (shrugs). Maybe you are from one of those backward villages i was referring to??

but hey, whatever turns you on  wink

You have a good day.
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by Nobody: 1:31am On Jul 19, 2007
Don't blame me, blame your parents, they probably whip you for speaking Igbo!
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by Nobody: 2:45am On Jul 19, 2007
lol.
with koboko laced with soldier ants
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by Esoterik(f): 11:30am On Jul 19, 2007
Donzman:

Don't blame me, blame your parents, they probably whip you for speaking Igbo!

I blame your parents too ,  for not teaching you greater understanding about how to treat your fellow african - they would probably beat you for associating with a black person!!
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by Esoterik(f): 11:37am On Jul 19, 2007
babyosisi:

lol.
with koboko laced with soldier ants

I see you are in support of Donzmann , Why would my parents beat me for speaking igbo, what a foolish thing to say , are you a Osu persecutor too? Tell you what , if being as KNOWLEDGABLE as you two means I would also persecute and ostracize my fellow, INNOCENT black people, well I'd rather live in ignorance ,
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by Nobody: 12:25am On Jul 21, 2007
What the hell is Osu persecutor?. . .You sound so foreign and know so little about your own people that I can only pity you, your parents did you wrong. How can you come around your own people and sound like a whiteman will?
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by tpia: 1:11am On Jul 21, 2007
If you're Igbo born abroad, na wahala.

If you're not Igbo but have one Igbo parent or grandparent , na wahala.

if you're non igbo married to igbo, na wahala.

if you're non -Igbo but  have Igbo relations, na wahala.

All these people making themselves the yardstick for who is igbo, are themselves fake Igbo.
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by Nobody: 5:17am On Jul 21, 2007
What's tilapia talking about?. .Did you ever hear me say esoterik wasn't Igbo?. . .you've got issues!

know so little about your own people that

You really cannot comprehend tpia, if I didn't think Esoterik was Igbo why will I say "your own people"?. . .Take out your issues elsewhere, not on Donzman!
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by tpia: 3:40pm On Jul 21, 2007
see how some people are peeping out from under militia's skirts.

daftman, let me tell you that you yourself are not an expert on igbo culture. And you don't need to abuse someone just because they were born and raised abroad. If you're envious, just say so.  You don't need to start abusing someone's parents just because they did not raise their child to be a dedicated bigot like you.

And  I dare you to go take an OBJECTIVE DNA test- the results will surprise you. When Nigeria gets a comprehensive and reliable DNA testing procedure, I can guarantee that most of you pufferfish will find out some of your genes will indicate some other AFRICAN ancestry than what you think you know.
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by Nobody: 7:20pm On Jul 21, 2007
Someone's feelings are seriously getting hurt, next time tell your parents to teach you about your culture, don't hate on those who their parents bothered to teach them. There's nothing to envy in an Igbo person who doesn't know that Nwosu is a common name in Igboland, the only reasonable feeling to have towards such a person is PITY. Pity that your rights can easily be compromised in your motherland because your parents have colo mentality.

Nobody is asking anyone to teach anyone how to hate anyone, all Donzman is saying is that your parents should teach you what they know about your origins even if they're born on Mars.

What am I saying?. . .tpia is an idiot.
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by Nobody: 12:59am On Jul 22, 2007
Donzman:

What's tilapia talking about?. .Did you ever hear me say esoterik wasn't Igbo?. . .you've got issues!

ROFL.
You no go kill me.
I remember secondary school biology.
Tilapia fish
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by tpia: 8:47am On Jul 22, 2007
Donzman:

Someone's feelings are seriously getting hurt, next time tell your parents to teach you about your culture, don't hate on those who their parents bothered to teach them. There's nothing to envy in an Igbo person who doesn't know that Nwosu is a common name in Igboland, the only reasonable feeling to have towards such a person is PITY. Pity that your rights can easily be compromised in your motherland because your parents have colo mentality.

Nobody is asking anyone to teach anyone how to hate anyone, all Donzman is saying is that your parents should teach you what they know about your origins even if they're born on Mars.

your name says it all, dunceman. You describe yourself perfectly.

so why dont you blow a fuse because some people are not local like you.
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by tpia: 8:48am On Jul 22, 2007
babyosisi:

ROFL.
You no go kill me.
I remember secondary school biology.
Tilapia fish

can you please carry your village mentality elsewhere.

its annoying.

You can take yourself out of the village, but you cant take the village out of you.
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by Godsgirl(f): 11:37pm On Jul 22, 2007
I want to make it clear as to exactly who my audience is before I proceed. This is for "born again" aka "saved" and "new creations in Christ" lest I offend anyone else outside this bracket! thank you for your attention:

I am an ibo girl and I am quite aware that the caste system exists in several other nations. I regularly pray for all this nonsense to come to an end. I came across a scripture last year. My Spirit was quickened by the Holy Ghost that this scripture can apply to this situation. Acts 10:15. This is a groundbreaking scripture for me concerning "osus". I suggest you read the entire chapter 10 to understand better. You may even personalize it as I have. "Cornelius is the born again "osu"man who has so pleased God by his ways and Peter, the disciple is sent by God to Cornelius' house as a result of a vision. Wow!! You may read it in your spare time. God basically tells Peter not to dare call anything unclean-that He (God) has already declared "clean".

This subject is very dear to me because a friend of the family is considered this. I use the word "considered" and not "is (in fact)" because as a Christian, I have no right to cast anyone out-so help me God. Is it not bad enough that "we" Christians are already viewed as such by others that are not in Christ? You all need to see the looks I get from some who can sense I am a believer. Do you think I care? Why then are we inflicting this same treatment on ourselves? In Christ, there is neither Jew nor Greek-He sees us all the same.

Now, there is a protection that is assured to the believer which can never apply to the unbeliever, so one may refer to other replies if you do not consider yourself a believer in Christ.

I have no problem with SOME "unsaved" people who have such views (against "osus"wink because they are still in the dark, but when a born again Christian has this view, it simply disgusts me. 

Now to those of you "Born again-Christ loving men and women, who for your entire life have been "considered" as osu and want to marry someone that is not "considered" this, this is for  following section is for you: "I am extremely disgusted by SOME of you (YOU KNOW YOURSELVES). I say this because:

1. How dare you even repeat what others call you? Is that what you are? people can call me a fool from morning to night but the minute "I" believe that I am a fool-I am finished. 2. How dare you question the word of God by seeking acceptance from ignorant people who should know better? 3. How dare you leave the man/woman the Lord has told you to marry because you are "afraid" it will not work due to your "so called" status? If God said it, it will work! PERIOD!! 4. How dare you anticipate your children will suffer in the long run? Is that what you want? Speak LIFE!!

My advice to you SO CALLED "OSU" Christians about to marry is this:

LEARN TO SPEAK LIFE OVER YOU, YOUR FUTURE SPOUSE AND YOUR FUTURE CHILDREN. LET GOD BE TRUE AND EVERY MAN, A LIAR. If your spouse's family choose to cut you off-Bless God! He knows what is best-After all Abraham and Joseph's success did not start at home. Keep trusting God and your Family will one day ask for forgiveness from you. Keep your hands clean, keep your mouth shut and guard your heart through the entire process. The power of the human mind is strong, that is where the devil plays, but when you dare let him into your heart-you are finished. Because when you start to believe the lies, fear will overtake you, then you will eventually speak damnation with your mouth-Then i can promise you this: "you are finished at this point."

Anger towards the accusers will do me no good. Rather in love, I speak to the victims of such hate with severity in my tone. I am not mad at you personally (I do love you) but I am mad at your response to this issue when the time comes for you to marry. Where is your confidence in Christ, huh?

Thank God for forums such as this-at least people can be informed. In the end, God will prevail. He always does!

In conclusion, I am sure most of you have heard of the scripture that assures us that we will know each person by their fruit. Someone may call themself a born again Christian all they want to and go to church "religiously" every sunday-but when it comes to 2 issues for me (sex before marriage and "osu"wink I want to know whose report you believe. COME ON PEOPLE! IT IS TIME TO STOP PICKING AND CHOOSING PARTS OF THE BIBLE WE WOULD LIKE TO OBEY. JUST DO WHAT GOD SAYS. FOR CRYING OUT LOUD LET US ALL STOP BEING PEOPLE PLEASERS AND START BEING GOD PLEASERS!!

AGAPE!
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by Nobody: 12:04am On Jul 23, 2007
bless you sister
tpia:

can you please carry your village mentality elsewhere.

its annoying.

You can take yourself out of the village, but you can't take the village out of you.

This one village village just dey commot ya mouth.
you no get village?
they no take you there?
hey yaaaaa
pele,sorry,ndo grin
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by Esoterik(f): 4:22am On Jul 23, 2007
Donzman:

What the hell is Osu persecutor?. . .You sound so foreign and know so little about your own people that I can only pity you, your parents did you wrong. How can you come around your own people and sound like a whiteman will?

An Osu persecutor is someone that persecutes Osu people ,  what is so hard to understand about that?  Are you that simple?

Your pity couldn't be more misdirected , As far as i can see everyone is typing in ENglish, including yourself ,  oh great knowledgable Igbo one, so as far as i am concerned you sound white as hell to me too!!  I don't see one authentic Igbo thing about you, you could be Croatian for all i know lol.  If i am not igbo enough for you, that's YOUR problem CHief Donzman-authentic-igbo-but-yo-ass-living-in-Canada ,  lol  you are just going to have to deal with it, since the people that matter are fine with me.

And you sound like a  miserable little bitch too.  Maybe you and your little guard dog, Babyosi, need to take a break from the boards.
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by Esoterik(f): 4:28am On Jul 23, 2007
Donzman link=topic=23527.msg131199[b:
6#msg1311996 date=1185042045]

[/b]
What a pathetic attempt to insult me and and my parents , because i knew nothing abou Osu, my parents have a colonial mentality?  LOL, ok.   It didnt occur to you that my parents didnt want to become a loudmouthed little ignoramus like yourself?  Maybe they didnt want me to think with the mind of someone who respects such a heinous custom!!  I speak igbo, married an igbo man, have a beautiful igbo daughter and am a member of the Ibeku society here in the UK.  My parents did a fantastic job of teaching me my heritage, so you going to have to come up with something a little sharper than that sweetie!!  Try not to hate me too much ok?  lol
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by Esoterik(f): 4:38am On Jul 23, 2007
tpia:

see how some people are peeping out from under militia's skirts.

daftman, let me tell you that you yourself are not an expert on igbo culture. And you don't need to abuse someone just because they were born and raised abroad. If you're envious, just say so.  You don't need to start abusing someone's parents just because they did not raise their child to be a dedicated bigot like you.

And  I dare you to go take an OBJECTIVE DNA test- the results will surprise you. When Nigeria gets a comprehensive and reliable DNA testing procedure, I can guarantee that most of you pufferfish will find out some of your genes will indicate some other AFRICAN ancestry than what you think you know.

Thank you tpia, Donzman appears to be a very weak, small minded individual with very low self esteem.  Very little to say, and too much mouth to say it with.  So he resorts to throwing pathetic, childish insults (such as calling you  tilapia fish , sigh), Sadly there are plenty of people like him, they THRIVE on the internet. 
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by LadyGodiva(f): 5:33am On Jul 23, 2007
so howdoes ine tell who is "osu" and who isn't?
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by Nobody: 5:42am On Jul 23, 2007
@esoterik

you know so much about your culture but yet you had no clue tha your surname which is very common in igboland does not mean you're an osu. this isn't about being an expert, its about knowing the simple things which you do not.

Great you know alot about people like me but you still do not know much about your own people, that's the point.
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by Esoterik(f): 5:54am On Jul 23, 2007
Donzman:

@esoterik

you know so much about your culture but yet you had no clue tha your surname which is very common in igboland does not mean you're an osu. this isn't about being an expert, its about knowing the simple things which you do not.

First of all it is YOU that has appointed yourself the expert on all that is igbo and it is you who has decided that you will decide who is genuine igbo and who is not.  Not I.

Secondly i knew Nwosu was a fairly common name - but i didnt know that SOME of those Nwosus were not Osus.  I know very little about the Osu issue and i more or less said from my very first post that i know very little about the Osu issue.  i was not sure if i was Osu or not originally (so you can pat yourself on the back for that), but i investigated, came back and corrected myself long before you waddled in here firing your mouth off.   

However , none of the above means I am "part-idiot", or that my parents have a colonial mentality, or that they would beat me for speaking igbo, you silly little man.

i still don't see how you can conclude that i don't know anything about my culture simply from the fact that i wasnt sure if i was Osu or not.  Please elaborate.
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by Esoterik(f): 6:06am On Jul 23, 2007
Donzman:

@esoterik

Great you know alot about people like me but you still do not know much about your own people, that's the point.

Yes i know lots about people like you, and i know some about my culture. Unlike you i am not arrogant about it - there are always things to learn about my culture, one can always learn more. Discussing issues on boards like this is one way, going home regularly is another, attending Ibeku meetings is yet another. Like i said, i am satisfied with my igboness, my husband is happy with it, my immediate and extended family have no problem with it. You just gonna have to get over it dear, thats all. You will one day , lol
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by Esoterik(f): 6:19am On Jul 23, 2007
LadyGodiva:

so howdoes ine tell who is "osu" and who isn't?

goodness knows, it seems to be something that is just known (shrug). i expect its something the elders in the community would know, and the older members of your family, and so they would share it with you, but i am not sure.
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by laudate: 4:07pm On Jul 23, 2007
Esoterik:

I speak igbo, married an igbo man, have a beautiful igbo daughter and am a member of the Ibeku society here in the UK.  My parents did a fantastic job of teaching me my heritage, so you going to have to come up with something a little sharper than that sweetie!!

Your parents did a fantastic job, jare! Don't let folks like Donzman put you down.  wink He has a huge inferiority complex, that is why he tries to act all superior and pretend as if he is the mouth-piece of all Nd'Igbo on Nairaland. No mind am! angry

tpia:

Hehehehe
. . . . .can you imagine what would happen if Donzman took a DNA test, only to discover that Yoruba, Fulani or Ijaw etc. blood runs through his veins? Kai! The mind boggles. . . . wink
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by Nobody: 10:36pm On Jul 23, 2007
Donzman has no complex be it inferiority or superiority.

@Esoterik

I came at you a bit too hard but it was kind of ridiculous to me someone who said she is Igbo has no clue that Nwosu does not mean you're an Osu. You also have this mindse that all Igbos in villages discriminate against Osus or something, this is something that anyone who has spent a little time amongst Igbos should know is not true. You go around calling anyone who is Igbo raised in Nigeria an Osu persecutor, these weren't coming from a kid, it's coming from a self proclaimed Igbo woman with kids!

After it's all said and done, it's not your fault, it's your parent's !

laudate:

Hehehehe
. . . . .can you imagine what would happen if Donzman took a DNA test, only to discover that Yoruba, Fulani or Ijaw etc. blood runs through his veins? Kai! The mind boggles. . . . wink

Why would I mind? 

1 Like

Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by Esoterik(f): 2:07am On Jul 24, 2007
Donzman:

Donzman has no complex be it inferiority or superiority.

@Esoterik

I came at you a bit too hard but it was kind of ridiculous to me someone who said she is Igbo has no clue that Nwosu does not mean you're an Osu.

Ridiculous to you maybe. Not to a foreign born igbo who knows very little about the Osu issue.

[/quote]You also have this mindse that all Igbos in villages discriminate against Osus or something

I never said that. That is the impression you came to all on your own! I even said that my daddy must have been raised in a progressive minded village, so how did that translate into "all igbos are Osu persecutors"?

this is something that anyone who has spent a little time amongst Igbos should know is not true.

go around calling anyone who is Igbo raised in Nigeria an Osu persecutor, these weren't coming from a kid, it's coming from a self proclaimed Igbo woman with kids!

Like I said, you have decided that i said this when i clearly didnt. Moreover, this has nothing to do with your first suggestion that i was part-idiot because i wasnt sure if i was Osu or not. Or that I sounded white. Or any of the other half-witted insults you slung at me.

After it's all said and done, it's not your fault, it's your parent's !

It is a shame that you insist on slightiing my parents, people you know nothing about. Better that you speak about things you know, because you will end up sounding obnoxious and foolish. In any case, I think we both know where we both stand so lets just leave it at that.

[quote]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Pictures From The Boat Regatta Held For Lagos@50 / Why Alaafin Of Oyo And Aare Ona Kakanfo Can't Stay Together- Gani Adams / Two Masquerades Hit Night Club, Show Off Dance Moves (Video, Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.