Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,814 members, 7,817,362 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:58 AM

Would You Marry An Osu? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Would You Marry An Osu? (27391 Views)

Anything Wrong With Marrying An Osu(outcast From Some Parts Of Igboland) / Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? / My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Go Down)

Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by Nobody: 11:18pm On Sep 20, 2006
Christianity has brought light to whites and blacks alike, we're waiting for the Arabs to come through.
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by chinani(f): 11:27pm On Sep 20, 2006
Donzman I categorically disagree. We needn't get into a drawn out argument about it, but if Christianity has brought light, why do Christian Igbo people hate/discriminate on "Osu" and many many others.

Islam is like Christianity. It teaches the same things. It is men who pervert the religion just like Christians claim to be Christians but don't learn from the Gospels.
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by GNature(m): 11:47pm On Sep 20, 2006
The problem is people mistake the islamic fundamentalists for islam as a whole. While I'm not a muslim, this is a big misconception
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by Nobody: 11:50pm On Sep 20, 2006
chinani:

Donzman I categorically disagree. We needn't get into a drawn out argument about it, but if Christianity has brought light, why do Christian Igbo people hate/discriminate on "Osu" and many many others.
Islam is like Christianity. It teaches the same things. It is men who pervert the religion just like Christians claim to be Christians but don't learn from the Gospels.

There are christians who do not practice christianity. I'm yet to meet someone who lives a chrsitian life that discriminates or hates on "Osu". You may have met one and may be right in your case but I haven't.
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 11:57pm On Sep 20, 2006
chinani:

eg The Italian "cosa nostra" or mafia are the biggest supporters of Vatican City. Do you know why, because it works in there favour. Yet they are more responsible for the deaths/ruining of lives then any Arab faction. But yet are they ever called terroists, no.
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by sbucareer(f): 1:22am On Sep 21, 2006

hmmm-------
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by Nia: 2:31am On Sep 21, 2006
chinani:

@Nia
Interesting article. Didn't know the Biafran Govt. ended de jure Osu caste system. . .
. . .But did anyone notice how antiSemitic the article was? . . .it also sounded anti-igbo & antiBlack. . .
. . . . . .I guess nothing says "equality" & "justice" like white Catholics come to civilize the niggers Africans *eye roll*
Chinani, you raised some interesting points.  I suspect the archbishop's intention was to sound more pro-religion/pro-christianity than anti-Igbo/anti-Jewish/anti-black and seemed to express the sentiment that support for this religion cannot co-exist with support for the others. I think what we should look at is why people seem to believe that religion, specifically Christianity (since most Igbos are Christians) is the solution to the problem. As long as this is the belief and we understand that colonialism/Europe brought this religion, then you will generally have people giving credit to that source and castigating what they perceive as the source of the problem/the opposite of the solution. The archbishop seemed to believe that through religion is the only way for people to do the right thing rather than pushing for direct change of the cultural practices. For example, although it is not as strongly expressed as the article I posted earlier, a similar mentality seemed to be present in the following write-up as well: 
Excerpt:
The overwhelming majority of Ndiigbo today are Christians, but they remain very Igbo in core cultural practices that are deeply rooted in our indigenous value system. Only a handful of Igbo Christians can muster the courage and audacity to flaunt age-old taboos that are obviously derived from authentic cultural beliefs, for example. Sustenance of the osu caste system is one of those practices that continue to defy Christian teachings, Western education and technological advancements of modernity, including urbanization. 
This last quote, however, seemed to leave some hope of shying away from the religious approach and seem to have things in better perspective.
Rather than continue to expect the passage of time to resolve the osu issue, Ndiigbo should now begin to seek for better understanding of this phenomenon with the hope of consciously deriving an acceptable and lasting solution to this sociocultural albatross of contemporary Igbo society.
Source: http://www.osondu.com/VolumeFour/osusystem.htm

I was trying to track down this article earlier. But I think these types of efforts coupled with better education of the public will lay a stronger foundation for change:

Community abolishes osu

Fidelis Soriwei, Owerri

The age-long osu caste system in most of the communities of the South-East has suffered its first major setback following a decision by leaders and the traditional ruler of Amano Okigwe Autonomous Community, Okigwe Local Government Area, Eze Bob Ezumah, to abolish the practice.

advertisement
According to a news item monitored on the Imo Broadcasting Corporation by our correspondent on Thursday, the leadership of the community agreed that, thenceforth, it would be an offence to discriminate against anybody on the basis of osu.

It was stated that the traditional ruler openly declared the eradication of the practice during a meeting of Okigwe Development Union and the people of the community.

The monarch reportedly said that the sensitive decision was taken after exhaustive consultations with members of his cabinet and the people of the community.

Ezumah noted that their ancestors described some innocent people as osu to be sacrificed alive to the gods, which should stop.

He was further quoted to have called for the abolition of the practice based on the prevalent conviction that there was no different between osu (outcast) and Diala (freeborn), stressing that the practice had become primitive, uncivilised pagan-oriented.

The Chairman of the Okigwe Development Union, Chief Onyenauchaya, who reportedly carried out the cultural rituals and other activities considered symbolic to the stoppage of the ancient practice, said that all the shrines and deities associated with the practice would be destroyed.

THE PUNCH, Friday April 28, 2006
Source: http://www.ghanaweb.net/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/artikel.php?ID=103456&comment=1978842
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by chinani(f): 4:20am On Sep 21, 2006
Donzman, hmmmm, I can't question your experience. However, you are talking about one situation. What about Christians who discriminate in general? My point is that practicing Christians are capable of discrimination. Discriminating or not is a function of the individual.

Good example JosBoy4Life.

Nia, you raised some great points. Appreciate the link. Thanks.
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 4:24am On Sep 21, 2006
Hey Donzman
This is offtopic, you really from London, Ontario
Are you in UWO or Fanshawe, I used to live in London in my ealy adolescent years

Back to topic,
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by Nobody: 4:35am On Sep 21, 2006
JosBoy4Lif:

Hey Donzman
Are you in UWO or Fanshawe, I used to live in London in my ealy adolescent years

Back to topic,

JosBoy4Lif:

Hey Donzman

Back to topic,

I go to UWO.

hmmmm, I can't question your experience. However, you are talking about one situation. What about Christians who discriminate in general? My point is that practicing Christians are capable of discrimination. Discriminating or not is a function of the individual.

Yes and a good christian individual shouldn't discriminate but accept others for what they are. That's one of the teachings of Jesus Christ, he didn't avoid sinners but went closer to them.
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by Drusilla(f): 4:37am On Sep 21, 2006
Chinani,

I agree, the piece sounded more like a pro-christianity press release.

However there is some truth to the point that we know historically the 'outcasts' were the first to welcome the whites and help them obtain a foothold.

Achebe, an Igbo, I believe, even refers to this in his book, things fall apart. Because whites would be given the 'evil forest' the same place that outcasts were forced too.

This is just one of the many reasons that African Americans are so gung ho, that there be no divisions among Black people.

We are Black. We are One.

If any cultural tradition stands against that, it should be crushed and burned and given a proper burial.

Things like being against an OSU, hurts all Blacks around the world.

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. --Rev. Martin Luther King. [pp]

IMHO
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by edygirl(f): 5:51am On Sep 21, 2006
Drusilla, you are really smart. I have my reason for this statement.

Back to the topic.
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by Drusilla(f): 6:45am On Sep 21, 2006
Edygirl,

smiley
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by Nia: 9:35pm On Sep 21, 2006
@ Chinani
no problem.
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by otokx(m): 11:31pm On Sep 21, 2006
no
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by mukina2: 11:39pm On Sep 21, 2006
whats an osu?
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by mochafella(m): 2:08am On Sep 22, 2006
mukina2:

whats an osu?

Here's an answer
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by Seun(m): 6:51pm On Sep 23, 2006
An Osu is someone that Igbos look down upon because his ancestors were mistreated by Igbos. This is double injustice. This is like whites not associating with blacks because their ancestors were slaves, when the fact is that it's the same whites that enslaved them. The Igbos who 'sacrificed' the Osus should be the ones suffering!
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by chinani(f): 8:20pm On Sep 24, 2006
@Drusilla
Good post. And you're right about Osu & other 'ne'er do wells' welcoming whites. What else could they do given their then-living situation. The best we can do is move forward, learn from this, make it history (as in end it), and taken longer strides into the future.
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by Brownsuga(f): 10:33pm On Sep 24, 2006
I nearly asked what an Osu, but thx to Seun, i just saw its meaning,
Thx Seun!

But how can one know if one is an Osu? Do appearance/physical features count?
And why were the ancestors of such a person were mistreated by Igbos?
This is sad. Why wouldnt one marry such a person?
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by GNature(m): 10:58pm On Sep 24, 2006
@Brownsuga

These links from this thread should be helpful in answering your question (courtesy of @sbucareer)

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-23527.0.html#msg612013

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-23527.0.html#msg612020
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by laudate: 8:16pm On Oct 18, 2006
This Osu caste thing cannot be legislated out of existence. It is only through enlightenment and active efforts to eradicate it, that it will be discarded.

Can't remember the governor that passed a law saying that the Osu concept was illegal in his state. This was in the seventies. His people said:" Fine. No problem. Now prove the efficacy of this law, by allowing your daughter to marry an Osu."

The governor could not. And that ended the matter. The Osu concept is still thriving in his district as we speak.
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by laudate: 8:21pm On Oct 18, 2006
Here is more information on the topic:

http://www.naijamall.com/newsdatabase_template_page.asp?cmd=articledetail&articleid=57
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by ladykool(f): 12:35am On Nov 05, 2006
can someone help me here wat is an osu?
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by Nobody: 2:21am On Nov 06, 2006
please people desist from making statements just to be heard.
Somethings I've read here sound so juvenile.
Someone alluded to the fact that 'osu kids' are discriminated against in schools and other kids would not want to play with them.
Pleaseeeeeeeeee.

I grew up in Igboland went to elementary school  and most of my college in Igboland.
Lived amongst Igbos all my growing up years.
I have never heard anyone called an osu,laughed at or cajoled,shunned and discriminated against for being an 'osu'.
I do not know any osu,it is not something we get lessons of from our parents,they are regular people like you and me,I am Igbo and sincerely I cannot tell you anyone I know that is an 'osu',that tells you how popular the topic is

I believe it was donzman who says he grew up in Onitsha and saw no such thing.
People are just sensationalizing this whole thing.

way back when,it was a big deal,that was way before our time,granted some individuals still choose to point this out when marriage is concerned,we are all equal in Gods eyes.
It is sad some individuals get a kick out of thinking themselves better than others,it is nothing but a big case of inferiority complex.

Some Igbos look down on the so called 'osu' only in issues of marriage the same way some Nigerians look down on our men  marrying African American wives as a grave mistake.
It does not make sense,it is not a topic worth giving much audience.
[b][/b]
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by NINETOFIVE(m): 3:29am On Nov 06, 2006
babyosisi:

please people desist from making statements just to be heard.
Somethings I've read here sound so juvenile.
Someone alluded to the fact that 'osu kids' are discriminated against in schools and other kids would not want to play with them.
Pleaseeeeeeeeee.

I grew up in Igboland went to elementary school and most of my college in Igboland.
Lived amongst Igbos all my growing up years.
I have never heard anyone called an osu,laughed at or cajoled,shunned and discriminated against for being an 'osu'.
I do not know any osu,it is not something we get lessons of from our parents,they are regular people like you and me,I am Igbo and sincerely I cannot tell you anyone I know that is an 'osu',that tells you how popular the topic is

I believe it was donzman who says he grew up in Onitsha and saw no such thing.
People are just sensationalizing this whole thing.

way back when,it was a big deal,that was way before our time,granted some individuals still choose to point this out when marriage is concerned,we are all equal in Gods eyes.
It is sad some individuals get a kick out of thinking themselves better than others,it is nothing but a big case of inferiority complex.

Some Igbos look down on the so called 'osu' only in issues of marriage the same way some Nigerians look down on our men marrying African American wives as a grave mistake.
It does not make sense,it is not a topic worth giving much audience.
[b][/b]

I 've never seen an Osu before, I don't even know how they look, Osu cast has been dismantled in my place.
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by jammin(m): 3:39am On Nov 06, 2006
will someone please tell me if[b] Donzman [/b] can think? to me he seem incapable of intellectual concepts. "Christianity brought enlightenment to whites and black." why is this guy such a mental captive?, when god have given him a brain to think. embarassed
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by Nobody: 3:57am On Nov 06, 2006
Christianity has brought alot of good things to my life and I'm sorry if it has done nothing for you. I'm far from being a mental captive, I believe you should take a look in the mirror for once. I'm able to think about things, accept the ones I can and reject the ones that make no sense. You know, like how I rejected the idea that Jamaicans killing each other is actually good for them. I mean, I never knew you guys had overpopulation issues down there. Even at that, killing each other makes no sense at all. You're too blind to see that the ones you hurt are you and you, who is mentally incapabable of thinking again? Yeah like you said its Donzman ( I almost forgot).
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by jammin(m): 4:20am On Nov 06, 2006
brother,[s] (and i call you that because i dont want you to believe i'm attempting a put-down,) [/s] all things are relative. can you say for a certainty that your life would have been worse had you not been a christian?

i am sorry for you. i do not need to start a cussing match at this time.

i wish you could have seen the many lines of flaw in your thinking prowess that i was about to point out but  erased. some people cannot be saved.

i also think you should try to control your brittle ego smiley
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by jammin(m): 4:29am On Nov 06, 2006
at no time did i tell you that the killing of another black is a good thing. i however made it known that using violence to attain financial rewards is a pathway to independence and legitimacy. outside of the social construct , the one you so admire, there are rules, and as the rules progress from disunity to one of unity then the status quo(construct) is severely threatened and can be overturned. that is what revolution is made of, and that is what i spoke to.
anyway you i are grossly off thread.
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by Nobody: 4:32am On Nov 06, 2006
Well, who knows how my life will be counterfactually?, I do know for sure that my life is good and I'm glad I know Jesus, that should suffice for me and I can point out lots of Nigerians who will testify to that. Even if it's only an illusion, the element of hope that being a christian brings, it helps people get by from day to day. People who have problems, they come to church and are able to sing and dance even for a little while they can feel that things will be better. End of story!

i also think you should try to control your brittle ego

Brittle?, More like solidly cemented ego. How often do you see me change my view on any matter?, Close to never with a few exceptions here and there.
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by freshB2: 1:48am On Nov 09, 2006
who is askin this rubbish.
what is osu
is that suppose to be in God's bible or dictionary
what do you own more than they
what beauty do you got more than they
what brain, what wealth, do you as not osus, hav more than those innocent people we call osu?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Ile-Ife Existed Before Birth Of Jesus Christ - Ooni of Ife / Why Alaafin Of Oyo And Aare Ona Kakanfo Can't Stay Together- Gani Adams / Late Alfred Akawe Torkula Tomb In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.