Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,746 members, 7,824,148 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:40 AM

Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place (35922 Views)

How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! / Corporate Barber In Tie At His Work Place. Pictures / Photo: This Is The Bitter Truth About Work Place (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by Masculity(m): 2:43pm On Jun 08, 2015
Eye contact In my culture is a sign of disrespect most especially to an elderly person. #typicalfulani
Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by sukkot: 2:43pm On Jun 08, 2015
all rubbish. i dont make eye contact for too long. i find eye balls very creepy. they creep me out.

1 Like

Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by kelechiMarie(f): 2:43pm On Jun 08, 2015
It's on fp, y'all should come and edit
Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by viczing(m): 2:45pm On Jun 08, 2015
Prettydiamond:
Impressive..noted!

kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by holicalpha(m): 2:46pm On Jun 08, 2015
AnneMomoh:

Double dot?
sad sad sad
Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by babyBB: 2:46pm On Jun 08, 2015
About d handshake is very true, my fiance has tot me dat and he said look straihght it to d eye of d person u are shaking is a sign of being confident

1 Like

Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by Nobody: 2:47pm On Jun 08, 2015
ggrin:
I*bo babies use spare parts as toys. It's true, don't argue. Go to Nnewiundecided lipsrsealed grin lipsrsealed

They also use your brain as spare toys
Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by akoaki(m): 2:47pm On Jun 08, 2015
Nigerians are not good learners of etiquette. We hate being corrected or being taught new things that would enhance our social life. The grown ups are the most culpable.

1 Like

Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by themodernman: 2:55pm On Jun 08, 2015
CrazyMan:
When it comes to communication, as humans, most of the time, we express our thoughts and feelings non-verbally. Actions they say speak louder than words. And no, it is not another cliché. Think about this: we express anger and disapproval by frowning, we hold hands for solidarity and support, we twitch our lips and hiss to show contempt, and we fidget when we are afraid, to mention a few.

Body language or non-verbal communication can be very effective if handled carefully and could be very damaging if taken with kids’ glove. Here are some body languages that could be doing you more harm than good in the work place:

1. Breaking eye contact too soon: This can make you seem untrustworthy or overly nervous. Hold eye contact a hair longer, especially during a handshake.

2. Nodding too much:  Even if you agree with what’s being said, nod once and then try to remain still.

3. Crossing your arms:  This makes you look defensive, especially when you’re answering questions. Try to keep your arms at your sides.

4. Holding your hands behind your back (or firmly in your pockets)  makes you look stiff. Aim for a more relaxed hands-at-sides posture.

5. Looking up or looking around: This is a natural cue that you're lying or not being yourselves. Try to hold steady eye contact at all times when being spoken to.

6. Failing to smile: This can make people uncomfortable, and wonder if you really want to be there. Go for a genuine smile especially when meeting someone for the first time.

7. Stepping back when you’re asking for a decision:  This conveys fear or uncertainty. Stand your ground, or even take a slight step forward with conviction.

8. Checking your phone or watch:  In an important meeting or when being by your superiors portrays you as a staff with bad manners. Someone who prefers to be somewhere else than listen to them.

9. Having a delicate handshake:  Cultivate a professional handshake. Look the person you are about to shake in the eye, smile, greet the person warmly and shake hands firmly.

http://insidify.com/discovery/these-body-languages-are-doing-you-more-harm-than-good?utm_source=Language+To+B1&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Language+To+B1

All this commandments here & there....Just have a good sense of self-esteem and you're good to go anywhere...

This rules are just like people living by old testament laws. Love on the other hand covers all in the New testament.

3 Likes

Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by Hawlahscho(m): 2:59pm On Jun 08, 2015
Ojestas:
Just be good at what you r doing. .if u like, be nodding like agama lizard or cross your arms like booker T, your boss go just dey look. Nice tips though!!

Now imagine someone that's good @ what he/she is doing and still maintaining all those points up there. You know he/she has added extra value to his appearance.

"if you do your work exactly the way it ws given to you, you're not better than machine"
Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by Winning123: 3:03pm On Jun 08, 2015
CrazyMan:
When it comes to communication, as humans, most of the time, we express our thoughts and feelings non-verbally. Actions they say speak louder than words. And no, it is not another cliché. Think about this: we express anger and disapproval by frowning, we hold hands for solidarity and support, we twitch our lips and hiss to show contempt, and we fidget when we are afraid, to mention a few.

Body language or non-verbal communication can be very effective if handled carefully and could be very damaging if taken with kids’ glove. Here are some body languages that could be doing you more harm than good in the work place:

1. Breaking eye contact too soon: This can make you seem untrustworthy or overly nervous. Hold eye contact a hair longer, especially during a handshake.

2. Nodding too much:  Even if you agree with what’s being said, nod once and then try to remain still.

3. Crossing your arms:  This makes you look defensive, especially when you’re answering questions. Try to keep your arms at your sides.

4. Holding your hands behind your back (or firmly in your pockets)  makes you look stiff. Aim for a more relaxed hands-at-sides posture.

5. Looking up or looking around: This is a natural cue that you're lying or not being yourselves. Try to hold steady eye contact at all times when being spoken to.

6. Failing to smile: This can make people uncomfortable, and wonder if you really want to be there. Go for a genuine smile especially when meeting someone for the first time.

7. Stepping back when you’re asking for a decision:  This conveys fear or uncertainty. Stand your ground, or even take a slight step forward with conviction.

8. Checking your phone or watch:  In an important meeting or when being by your superiors portrays you as a staff with bad manners. Someone who prefers to be somewhere else than listen to them.

9. Having a delicate handshake:  Cultivate a professional handshake. Look the person you are about to shake in the eye, smile, greet the person warmly and shake hands firmly.

http://insidify.com/discovery/these-body-languages-are-doing-you-more-harm-than-good?utm_source=Language+To+B1&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Language+To+B1

Not relevant in Nigerian setting

1 Like

Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by tociano009(m): 3:05pm On Jun 08, 2015
AnneMomoh:
Nice Write up,

This can foster good working relationship in an organization
kiss
Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by youngice(m): 3:09pm On Jun 08, 2015
holicalpha:
10. Placing your hand at the back of your Neck- makes you look nervous.

Interesting Post,I'm no Psychologist but I'm able to read people's mind with the way they act.

Expo: If you're talking to a girl and she does that(10) that means she's hella Nervous.....use it well wink wink

- Valar Morghulis
valar dohiaris

1 Like

Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by Panshow(m): 3:19pm On Jun 08, 2015
Scratching your head makes you look clueless. Scratching your balls signifies you're dirty.

2 Likes

Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by amy4Christ20: 3:36pm On Jun 08, 2015
Thanks for the lecture

1 Like

Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by CrazyMan(m): 3:48pm On Jun 08, 2015
Panshow:
Scratching your head makes you look clueless.
Scratching your balls signifies you're dirty.
Who scratches his balls in front of his boss?

3 Likes

Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by Nobody: 3:53pm On Jun 08, 2015
Finaly dem nr go drop me again if i get new job.
Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by fpeter(f): 3:58pm On Jun 08, 2015
8. Checking your phone or watch: In an important meeting or when "being" by your superiors portrays you as a staff with bad manners. Someone who prefers to be somewhere else than listen to them.

........who does that?
Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by olutunde12(m): 4:53pm On Jun 08, 2015
realGURU:
Gej did not deserve any award for conceading defeat out of no option

Why are you people so hurting and dieing because of this man? Pray to God that God transfms your life like his. THE BULL that you now call president never said he lost even in app, anpp and cpc that existed in only 5 states of the federatn. Jonathan would have won if he wanted to win at all cost. To me and so many other people, he deserves it!!

2 Likes

Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by Teespice(f): 5:29pm On Jun 08, 2015
number 8 almost landed me in deep poo when I needed a professors assistance.

she saw me looking at my watch whilst talking to me and told me to leave her office if I consider what she was saying as unimportant.

for someone like me who does not know how to maintain eye contact, how do I go about it.
Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by coldcandy: 6:11pm On Jun 08, 2015
Teespice:

she saw me looking at my watch whilst talking to me and told me to leave her office if I consider what she was saying as unimportant.

for someone like me who does not know how to maintain eye contact, how do I go about it.

Learn it! Pick up a mirror and stare for 20 minutes at the eyes looking at you. It works.

1 Like

Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by nonjebose(m): 6:18pm On Jun 08, 2015
I don't think no 4, putting hands in d pocket, necessarily mean stiffness. I do it to elicit confidence. Great piece
Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by gbengus17: 6:25pm On Jun 08, 2015
BUT SOME BIG MEN HATES YOU, WHEN YOU ARE ALWAYS SMILING OR A PERMANENT SMILES ON YOUR FACE. THEY VIEW IT AS DECEIT.

2 Likes

Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by Teespice(f): 6:55pm On Jun 08, 2015
coldcandy:

Learn it! Pick up a mirror and stare for 20 minutes at the eyes looking at you. It works.

would try it.

thanks.
Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by Nobody: 7:15pm On Jun 08, 2015
In the medical world Numbers 3 & 4(hands at the back) are ideal and standard posé during clinical activities in which you are standing and being addressed by a superior.
caveat : medical students & house officers, don't try this in your rounds, it could land you an extension

1 Like

Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by Kandaha: 7:27pm On Jun 08, 2015
Teespice:

@teespice how is your attachment going.
Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by Teespice(f): 7:42pm On Jun 08, 2015
Kandaha:

@teespice how is your attachment going.

very well. Thanks for asking.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Boss Asked Security To Throw Me Out Because I Asked For My Money / Frank Mba Promoted To The Rank Of A Commissioner Of Police (photos) / Lady Sacked For Not Sleeping With Her Indian Boss, Nigerians React

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.