Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:45 AM

Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place (35918 Views)

How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! / Corporate Barber In Tie At His Work Place. Pictures / Photo: This Is The Bitter Truth About Work Place (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by Princephelar(m): 7:45pm On Jun 08, 2015
Hawlahscho:

"if you do your work exactly the way it ws given to you, you're not better than machine"

There are some bosses that wants the work done exactly d way dey prescribed it. Dey don't care abt ur opinion. e.g. Ogbeni AREGBESHOLA of Osun (itz no political matter pls jez an example). Diff orientations in life. some peeps will tell u to follow ur boss to d letter so dt wen tinz go wrong, u will be sure d blame won't be majorly urs
Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by Princephelar(m): 7:51pm On Jun 08, 2015
coldcandy:

Learn it! Pick up a mirror and stare for 20 minutes at the eyes looking at you. It works.
lol for real
Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by Kandaha: 8:03pm On Jun 08, 2015
Teespice:

very well. Thanks for asking.

Very well, I perused your diary.... and discovered you are a Law student ( in Law School ). I was in your place three years ago tho. I was in Abuja campus grin
Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by Teespice(f): 8:28pm On Jun 08, 2015
Kandaha:

Very well, I perused your diary.... and discovered you are a Law student ( in Law School ). I was in your place three years ago tho. I was in Abuja campus grin

alright.

that's nice to know.
Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by Kandaha: 9:18pm On Jun 08, 2015
[quote author=Teespice post=34566005]

alright.

that's nice to know.[/quo

What state are you doing your aattachment
Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by Nobody: 9:46pm On Jun 08, 2015
Work ethics
Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by professore(m): 10:01pm On Jun 08, 2015
I like this

1 Like

Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by Nobody: 5:45am On Jun 09, 2015
CrazyMan:
When it comes to communication, as humans, most of the time, we express our thoughts and feelings non-verbally. Actions they say speak louder than words. And no, it is not another cliché. Think about this: we express anger and disapproval by frowning, we hold hands for solidarity and support, we twitch our lips and hiss to show contempt, and we fidget when we are afraid, to mention a few.

Body language or non-verbal communication can be very effective if handled carefully and could be very damaging if taken with kids’ glove. Here are some body languages that could be doing you more harm than good in the work place:

1. Breaking eye contact too soon: This can make you seem untrustworthy or overly nervous. Hold eye contact a hair longer, especially during a handshake.

2. Nodding too much:  Even if you agree with what’s being said, nod once and then try to remain still.

3. Crossing your arms:  This makes you look defensive, especially when you’re answering questions. Try to keep your arms at your sides.

4. Holding your hands behind your back (or firmly in your pockets)  makes you look stiff. Aim for a more relaxed hands-at-sides posture.

5. Looking up or looking around: This is a natural cue that you're lying or not being yourselves. Try to hold steady eye contact at all times when being spoken to.

6. Failing to smile: This can make people uncomfortable, and wonder if you really want to be there. Go for a genuine smile especially when meeting someone for the first time.

7. Stepping back when you’re asking for a decision:  This conveys fear or uncertainty. Stand your ground, or even take a slight step forward with conviction.

8. Checking your phone or watch:  In an important meeting or when being by your superiors portrays you as a staff with bad manners. Someone who prefers to be somewhere else than listen to them.

9. Having a delicate handshake:  Cultivate a professional handshake. Look the person you are about to shake in the eye, smile, greet the person warmly and shake hands firmly.

http://insidify.com/discovery/these-body-languages-are-doing-you-more-harm-than-good?utm_source=Language+To+B1&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Language+To+B1
beautiful write up!

1 Like

Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by Chartey(m): 6:17am On Jun 09, 2015
CrazyMan:
When it comes to communication, as humans, most of the time, we express our thoughts and feelings non-verbally. Actions they say speak louder than words. And no, it is not another cliché. Think about this: we express anger and disapproval by frowning, we hold hands for solidarity and support, we twitch our lips and hiss to show contempt, and we fidget when we are afraid, to mention a few.

Body language or non-verbal communication can be very effective if handled carefully and could be very damaging if taken with kids’ glove. Here are some body languages that could be doing you more harm than good in the work place:

1. Breaking eye contact too soon: This can make you seem untrustworthy or overly nervous. Hold eye contact a hair longer, especially during a handshake.

2. Nodding too much:  Even if you agree with what’s being said, nod once and then try to remain still.

3. Crossing your arms:  This makes you look defensive, especially when you’re answering questions. Try to keep your arms at your sides.

4. Holding your hands behind your back (or firmly in your pockets)  makes you look stiff. Aim for a more relaxed hands-at-sides posture.

5. Looking up or looking around: This is a natural cue that you're lying or not being yourselves. Try to hold steady eye contact at all times when being spoken to.

6. Failing to smile: This can make people uncomfortable, and wonder if you really want to be there. Go for a genuine smile especially when meeting someone for the first time.

7. Stepping back when you’re asking for a decision:  This conveys fear or uncertainty. Stand your ground, or even take a slight step forward with conviction.

8. Checking your phone or watch:  In an important meeting or when being by your superiors portrays you as a staff with bad manners. Someone who prefers to be somewhere else than listen to them.

9. Having a delicate handshake:  Cultivate a professional handshake. Look the person you are about to shake in the eye, smile, greet the person warmly and shake hands firmly.

http://insidify.com/discovery/these-body-languages-are-doing-you-more-harm-than-good?utm_source=Language+To+B1&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Language+To+B1
Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by eyeon(m): 8:22am On Jun 09, 2015
HRich:
10 > If she's a newly wedded wife. Dont look too deep into her eyes when the husband is around.
What of when her husband is not around?
Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by HRich(m): 8:35am On Jun 09, 2015
eyeon:
What of when her husband is not around?
Especially when you are her ex. Dont even try coming close.
Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by Nobody: 9:09am On Jun 09, 2015
My broda, not all the listing on nairaland applies..just be real and confident thats all. know when to do what and when not to.. dont try doing I-service.. and dont smile too often. some might view you to be stupi*d.... smile when its necessary and smile with style and good comfort. laugh when you want to, not when it not necessary. its better people view you as someone serious even though you can or cannot give them all their demands, they naturally have this solemn confident,care and respect for you... than view you as some one awkward, acting and overtly in an unnecessary bid to please for maybe one reason or the other. In this part of the world they begin to look at you with another eyes. dnt over do things, people might soon notice. in all be real, confident and collected, and always be at alert in ur mind...knowing ... my solemn take.. cheers.

1 Like

Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by FRANKOXY(m): 11:04am On Jun 09, 2015
how about gossip ?

1 Like

Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by eyeon(m): 2:03pm On Jun 09, 2015
HRich:
Especially when you are her ex. Dont even try coming close.
#curiously...
WHY?

1 Like

Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by SenatorJames(m): 5:27pm On Jun 10, 2015
I am talented to know someone's behaviour by writing talk more of body language.
Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by Princephelar(m): 6:17pm On Jun 13, 2015
na we Nigerians dey kill ourselves. one boss wey no sabi all dese bfor go soon for him room dey read con reach office d next day dey watch him innocent workers wey him go sack based on dese tinz...
Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by Pablo24(m): 2:29pm On Jun 26, 2015
Great piece!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Boss Asked Security To Throw Me Out Because I Asked For My Money / Frank Mba Promoted To The Rank Of A Commissioner Of Police (photos) / I Outshined My Employers, Now I'm in Trouble

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.