Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,352 members, 7,815,719 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:09 PM

Why Do Nigerians Speak Fake Fune, Especially Outside Nigeria? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Nigerians Speak Fake Fune, Especially Outside Nigeria? (5156 Views)

Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? / Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. / Nigerians Speak The Best Pidgin In The Whole Of Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Speak Fake Fune, Especially Outside Nigeria? by huxley2(m): 11:02pm On Jun 01, 2009
FACE:

It is absolutely necessary to speak in a manner that most people will understand without straining their ears.

Most English speakers in Nigeria will understand the English spoken with US or British accent as long as the speaker speaks in a clear manner; in other words plain English or the TV English as I call it. The reverse is not the case as more Nigerians are exposed to English spoken with British or US accent than Americans and Brits exposed to Nigerian english.

Now if an American speaks only in heavy southern accent, other people will have to tune their ears into that speaking frequency to understand the speaker. The same applies to UK if someone speaks with heavy Scottish, Welsh, Irish or any of the northern accents. This brings the need to speak a common English that everyone understands.

Now, Americans, Brits and other English speakers will find it even more difficult understanding English spoken with heavy Nigerian accent.

Therefore, if anyone with Nigerian accent tries to speak in such a way that he is understood without having to repeat himself all the time, the person should be commended rather than criticized; afterall a Yoruba or Igbo Hausa-speaker does not go about saying "I am not going to make an effort to improve on my Hausa language because I prefer to speak Hausa with my Igbo or Yoruba accent, lest people say that I am speaking Hausa with a fake Hausa accent"

Very good point!

A lot of thing go into making oneself understood in a "foreign" language; Accent, intonation, where stresses are placed in words/sentences, pace of speech, articulation, gesticulations (in Italian and French, for example), pronounciation, etc, etc. People unfamiliar with West African English (Nigeria, Ghana, CAmeroon, Sierra Leone) may find it hard to understand a speaker from West Africa who uses strong West African mannerisms.

In my experience, one of the biggest impediment to comprehension is pronounciations. Many West African tend to pronounce th as though it were a simple t. Thus the words below are pronouced as follows;

With --> Wit
Earth --> Eart
Truth ---> Trut
Mouth ---> Mout
This ---> Tis
That ---> Tat

etc, etc

This sloppiness can cause quite a lot of confusion in oral communication.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Speak Fake Fune, Especially Outside Nigeria? by Hesperus(m): 11:13pm On Jun 01, 2009
I quite agree with FACE. Some times you need to speak with the local accent to be understood. I have Pakistani and Sri Lankan friends, and till date I still have to ask them to repeat what they say sometimes.

But the annoying thing is when I meet naija pple and they start speaking fune to me. Me I speak pidgin or yoruba with my naija peeps, and there really isnt anything like fune in yoruba. Or is there?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Speak Fake Fune, Especially Outside Nigeria? by Cyberfreak(f): 7:26pm On Jun 02, 2009
V
Re: Why Do Nigerians Speak Fake Fune, Especially Outside Nigeria? by C2H5OH(f): 3:10am On Jun 03, 2009
lol which one is fune. . . wtmf? what makes it fake? maybe it's their accents getting in the way. you can't call it fake. at least they try.
me i don't bother with american fune o, i just dey cari go with my ijebu fune. no shaking

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Speak Fake Fune, Especially Outside Nigeria? by IFELEKE(m): 12:50pm On Jun 04, 2009
@Topic
Personally i think poeple pick up fake accent in order to blend in to the environment around them. . .It all comes down to Inferiority Complex coupled with struggle for relevance.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Speak Fake Fune, Especially Outside Nigeria? by omega25red(m): 2:48am On Jun 09, 2009
i remember about 12 years a go i ran into an igbo guy in Gambia and i tell you i could have swore that the dude lived in europe or something his accent sounded so real but i found out later that he had only travelled to Gambia and he hadn't even been any where near europe ever.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Speak Fake Fune, Especially Outside Nigeria? by iice(f): 12:21pm On Jun 09, 2009
omega25red:

i remember about 12 years a go i ran into an igbo guy in Gambia and i tell you i could have swore that the dude lived in europe or something his accent sounded so real but i found out later that he had only travelled to Gambia and he hadn't even been any where near europe ever.

grin grin You need to hear oyinbo wey nefa near africa much more naija speaking pidgin with ibo accent cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Did You Learn Your Language? / Ogun Stroke Ati Diabetes / Yorubas And Igbos Once Spoke The SAME Language - Evidence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.