Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,587 members, 7,837,216 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:11 PM

Travelling To Canada Part 8 - Travel (227) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travelling To Canada Part 8 (1082648 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 11 / Travelling To Canada Part 10 / Travelling To Canada Part 9 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (224) (225) (226) (227) (228) (229) (230) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by marcuskens: 5:37pm On Jul 22, 2015
Same, whats ur program and when r u leaving? My flight is for Aug 20 though I'll transit via d UK, spend a few days and head for St Johns Aug 26...

Turpsie:

Okay cool... Same here, will resume this September by his grace

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by Gu2015: 5:38pm On Jul 22, 2015
M
Bao1004:
Guys,
I am new on Nairaland and have been going through the trends although a bit lengthy and difficult to read all. I applied to four fours in Canada for my masters in Economics- University of Ottawa, University of waterloo, Brock University, Wilfrid laurier university and did not get any of the admission. I have very good grades and finished with 4.49 in school and have about 4 year experience in a good company. I am wondering what I could have done wrong and was very pained when I didn't get any of the admission. Can anyone here advise me.
Sorryabt d denials,d truth is dat wen applying for admission Ur statement of purpose is key.its not jst CGPA or work experience,it's ur ability to sell Urself with a sound statement of purpose, U wld b suprise someone wit 3.5 will get admitted,so my candid advise is to write a sound nd convincing SOP wen applying again.

3 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by ayooluwatoni(m): 5:41pm On Jul 22, 2015
[quote author=fraque192 post=36160263][/quote]
Just what I was saying. Abeg make I go check this site too sharp sharp!
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by yemite295: 5:46pm On Jul 22, 2015
Turpsie:

Okay, was it upfront medicals or u were called? Congratulations once again. To all of us who are still expecting our TRV, we will all get it by God's grace
Np I did not do upfront med.. I was called
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by TheBae: 5:48pm On Jul 22, 2015
Thank you smiley
LOVINA1245:

congratz bae
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by Turpsie(f): 5:50pm On Jul 22, 2015
marcuskens:
Same, whats ur program and when r u leaving? My flight is for Aug 20 though I'll transit via d UK, spend a few days and head for St Johns Aug 26...

Am still waiting on CIC for my TRV
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by thesoj: 5:50pm On Jul 22, 2015
I'm so sorry to hear that you weren't accepted at any of the schools.

Did you write an extremely compelling statement of purpose? This part is critically important, no matter your CGPA. In particular, did you in your SOP express passion for why you want to do an MSc in said school and did you explain how your work experience and other experiences have shaped or will shape your desire to study further? Did you explain, in nuance, what part of economics intrigues you and why? Did you explain what it is about their school and which faculty members' research work piques your interest and why? Did you explain what it is you have done that shows your passion for economics?

US/Canadian schools really like passionate people, and you have to let that shine through in your application. These schools would admit a candidate with inferior CGPA if he/she shows significant passion and potential (which makes sense). It is not too unusual for a high CGPA candidate to be declined admission (due to other competitive candidates), though it is a bit unusual to be declined by all four schools.

I suggest you apply again. You have a very high chance of admission by several schools should you decide to let your application flow with passion this time. I apologize in advance if my presumption about your SOP is wrong.

Also, did you make sure your recommenders wrote very good (but realistic and non-psycophantic) recommendation letters on your behalf?

Cheers. E go beta

Bao1004:
Guys,

5 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by yetunde84: 5:52pm On Jul 22, 2015
fraque192:
Haven't done medicals, I applied to Selkirk college design and new media diploma program. Submitted my application on the 4th of June.

Thanks.
You might have to refire... it is well...
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by Turpsie(f): 5:53pm On Jul 22, 2015
yemite295:

Np I did not do upfront med.. I was called

I did mine on the 9th of july,
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by TheBae: 5:55pm On Jul 22, 2015
I've been checking them travelstart oh, i'll definitely check TripAdvisor and priceline. Thank you
ayooluwatoni:

The thing is, their are many operators that are quite cheaper, but these agents dont deal with them. Eg I got lagos to St Johns for abt 404k (travelstarts.com) and d cheapest united airlines for abt 370k (kayak.com). Then I decided to check "my TripAdvisor" and I got for 290+k. So check on priceline.com too
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by fraque192: 5:56pm On Jul 22, 2015
yetunde84:

You might have to refire... it is well...
Please how would I know what went wrong with my application.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by Turpsie(f): 5:59pm On Jul 22, 2015
TheBae:
Applied May 19
Paper
Medical Call 3rd of July (came at the wrong time of the month hence delay in doing medicals)
Medical Done 13th of July, I don't know when medical result was received cos vfs tracking kept saying "application being processed"
Visa approval mail 22nd of June.

Congratulations
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by yetunde84: 6:06pm On Jul 22, 2015
[quote author=fraque192 post=36161055]
Please how would I know what went wrong with my application. [/quo

Pick up your documents...the reasons will be stated...let's know and I trust this forum will elp you.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by TheBae: 6:07pm On Jul 22, 2015
This is a very very helpful post! I wasn't even qualified for admission because I have no work experience. But I think God's grace and a very good SOP really helped
thesoj:
I'm so sorry to hear that you weren't accepted at any of the schools.

Did you write an extremely compelling statement of purpose? This part is critically important, no matter your CGPA. In particular, did you in your SOP express passion for why you want to do an MSc in said school and did you explain how your work experience and other experiences have shaped or will shape your desire to study further? Did you explain, in nuance, what part of economics intrigues you and why? Did you explain what it is about their school and which faculty members' research work piques your interest and why? Did you explain what it is you have done that shows your passion for economics?

US/Canadian schools really like passionate people, and you have to let that shine through in your application. These schools would admit a candidate with inferior CGPA if he/she shows significant passion and potential (which makes sense). It is not too unusual for a high CGPA candidate to be declined admission (due to other competitive candidates), though it is a bit unusual to be declined by all four schools.

I suggest you apply again. You have a very high chance of admission by several schools should you decide to let your application flow with passion this time. I apologize in advance if my presumption about your SOP is wrong.

Also, did you make sure your recommenders wrote very good (but realistic and non-psycophantic) recommendation letters on your behalf?

Cheers. E go beta

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by myb012: 6:11pm On Jul 22, 2015
Documents submited
Paper route may1
Medicals 13th June but was able to do it 22nd cs it was that tym of the month
Got approved 21th of July
Sponsor - my uncle company I work, my dad a partner
Sponsorship letter from uncle
Concent lettervfrom.dad
Partnership deed of the company
CAC document
Acceptance letter from schl -pgd in financial planning and Wealth management ( cos I work in an audit/ accounting firm so it has to tally wiv the course I choose cs it was also one of there reasons I was refused bf since I informed dem it's d company sponsoring me so it must tally)
WAEC certificate
Leaving school certificate
Police clearance
Statement of account of the company my uncle been the only signatory
Letter from the bank
My payslips
Birth certificate
* since I was refused before for travel history I did copies of pages of visas to UK nd US ND I ATTACHED The families own too cs anoda reason was family ties so I did copies of visa pages of everyone in my family nd my brother in canada as well, nd my uncle too * Note we r nt bearing the same surname
Certificates av had bf
Transcript from school adressed to embassy
Landed properties from my dad nd uncle
.nd lastly I prayed wink
I hope dis mit b helpful for sumone

2 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by TheBae: 6:14pm On Jul 22, 2015
@bao1004
In addition to what soj has said, it helps to personalise your SOP. In fact, it is very important. Google each of the schools, find out what exactly they boast about, is it their research quality, their peaceful environment, their personalised learning system, etc and tell them that those are the qualities you look out for in a university. Don't write only 1 SOP for all. Try to make it somewhat unique to each of the universities.

Also, some schools check SOPS for plagiarism. Keep that in mind when using formats/samles from the Internet

2 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by SeraSera(m): 6:16pm On Jul 22, 2015
rolandy22:
Please can you apply for visa with conditional admission letter

Yes you can, but do well to include documents such as transcripts, degree certificates, etc. that show proof that you have fully satisfied the required conditions.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by Graviton2(m): 6:16pm On Jul 22, 2015

Congrats!

TheBae:
Visa approved ohhhhhh!
All Glory to God!
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by myb012: 6:18pm On Jul 22, 2015
Please who is using BA
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by Nobody: 6:20pm On Jul 22, 2015
Please I need information on how to emigrate to Canada as a registered Nurse.

Thanks.

Justwise and crew, please.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by Shebol01: 6:25pm On Jul 22, 2015
Hello fellow NLers,

What format should a sponsorship letter in form of an affidavit take. Is it just the usual letter format which is stamped in a highcourt and signed by the sponsor or any special format?

What advntage does the usual letter signed accordingly differ from the affidavit form?

Input and responses from our veterans.

Many thanks.
PS: would not mind if I could get a good format sample sent to this email addy: whisper2dio@yahoo.co.uk
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by rolandy22: 6:28pm On Jul 22, 2015
[

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by ezekuse: 6:28pm On Jul 22, 2015
myb012:
Documents submited
Paper route may1
Medicals 13th June but was able to do it 22nd cs it was that tym of the month
Got approved 21th of July
Sponsor - my uncle company I work, my dad a partner
Sponsorship letter from uncle
Concent lettervfrom.dad
Partnership deed of the company
CAC document
Acceptance letter from schl -pgd in financial planning and Wealth management ( cos I work in an audit/ accounting firm so it has to tally wiv the course I choose cs it was also one of there reasons I was refused bf since I informed dem it's d company sponsoring me so it must tally)
WAEC certificate
Leaving school certificate
Police clearance
Statement of account of the company my uncle been the only signatory
Letter from the bank
My payslips
Birth certificate
* since I was refused before for travel history I did copies of pages of visas to UK nd US ND I ATTACHED The families own too cs anoda reason was family ties so I did copies of visa pages of everyone in my family nd my brother in canada as well, nd my uncle too * Note we r nt bearing the same surname
Certificates av had bf
Transcript from school adressed to embassy
Landed properties from my dad nd uncle
.nd lastly I prayed wink
I hope dis mit b helpful for sumone
If my guess is correct you are going to Lambton College and your Postgraduate Certificate program is 2 years
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by thesoj: 6:30pm On Jul 22, 2015
@bao1004

As @TheBae said, absolutely do NOT plagiarize your SOP. Make sure you write it all by yourself. It will require a lot of thinking and self-discovery, but it will be well worth it. When I was applying to grad school, I remember it took me one month to get to what I considered a perfect SOP that truly represented me. The experience of writing the SOP shaped both my writing skills and my knowledge of self. Do not hesitate to have someone that knows you well (and/or is a really good writer) read and critique it during the writing process. The quality of the writing and grammar, not just the content, has to be very good as well.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by rolandy22: 6:31pm On Jul 22, 2015
[
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by babbs45: 6:31pm On Jul 22, 2015
Graviton2:

Yemite295, Crich and AriseOCompatrot, Congratulations!!!

Where Oga imperiouxx dey... you dey introduce dashing shayo for this thread abi. Hope say you ask permission sha. Lol.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by rolandy22: 6:33pm On Jul 22, 2015
i
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by Cherokee(m): 6:33pm On Jul 22, 2015
My people,
The Lord has finally done it.
Medical mail don show
Online 16th June

8 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by SeraSera(m): 6:36pm On Jul 22, 2015
Quick tips for those intending to book flights this period: If you do not live in Lagos or you live in Lagos and do not mind some extra travelling, for whatever airlines you choose, compare flight prices between Lagos and Abuja airports for your intended travel dates. I discovered that with Lufthansa, flights from Abuja are generally less expensive than those from Lagos. I was able to secure a one-stop flight to Toronto-Pearson at 325k from Abuja as opposed to 390k from Lagos for the same date and time.

Also, if possible do not pay online. If your chosen airline offers the option, choose to pay at their office or through bank transfer. They would send you the equivalent amount in Naira. For Lufthansa, conversion was done at about 199 naira to the dollar, which I think is quite fair. There is a good chance that you would pay at a higher conversion rate is you choose to pay with your bank issued cards. That's all. Thanks.

3 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by SeraSera(m): 6:38pm On Jul 22, 2015
rolandy22:

thanks

You're welcome.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by Nobody: 6:38pm On Jul 22, 2015
LadyFiona:
Please I need information on how to emigrate to Canada as a registered Nurse.

Thanks.

Justwise and crew, please.
Well, it depends on you. There are other routes to take buh in this forum, we take the study route.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by Nobody: 6:39pm On Jul 22, 2015
Where is tnuola btw

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (224) (225) (226) (227) (228) (229) (230) ... (401)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 / General-german-student-visa-enquiries Part 8 / Travelling To Canada Part 7

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.