Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,454 members, 7,819,666 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:17 PM

Saraki 'Elected' Senate President While APC Senators Were Meeting With Buhari - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Saraki 'Elected' Senate President While APC Senators Were Meeting With Buhari (62937 Views)

Flash Back: When Obanikoro Was Opposed And APC Senators Walked Out (video) / Akpabio Elected Senate Minority Leader / Senator Saraki 'emerges' Senate President While APC Senators Were Meeting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Saraki 'Elected' Senate President While APC Senators Were Meeting With Buhari by mattikang: 1:21pm On Jun 09, 2015
they are just distracting us and themselves from the main issues,like this media release from access to justice

Access to Justice Demands Immediate Investigation of Amnesty International’s Allegations of War Crimes by Nigeria’s Military; Chiefs of Defence and Army Staff Should “Step Aside” Now to ensure Credible Inquiry

On June 3 2015, Amnesty International (AI) released its report titled: Stars on their shoulder. Blood on their hands. The report and accompanying video detail possible war crimes committed by the Nigerian military in the course of undertaking counter-terrorism operations in north-east Nigeria against the Boko Haram sect. The report alleges that the Nigerian military have committed countless acts of torture, extra-judicially executed more than 1,200 people, and arbitrarily arrested at least 20,000 people, which include mostly young men and boys. The investigation carried out by the organization also revealed that many Nigerians have become victims of enforced disappearance and at least 7,000 people have died in military detention.

Access to Justice (A2Justice) is appalled and outraged by the allegations detailed in this report: they constitute grave, deplorable and mind-boggling violations of fundamental rights guaranteed by the Constitution to everyone: the allegations, if true, also grievously contravene international treaties binding on Nigeria.

The war against terrorism is no excuse for the horrendous slaughter and willful killing of persons who have not been determined to have any links to terror or terrorist organizations. A war strategy that fails to uphold internationally recognized rules of engagement, or that systematically ensures the death of captured persons is pernicious, atrocious and flawed, and creates serious legal liabilities for those who fashion or implement it. It should be recalled that the violations of human rights by Nigerian military operatives in the campaign against the Boko Haram insurgency has been counter-productive to Nigeria’s efforts to contain the insurgency as a number of potential allies have held back their support following reports of large-scale atrocities being committed by the military in counter-terrorism operations.

The latest AI report comes on the heels of previous reports featuring similar allegations against the Nigerian military. After AI’s report of August 2014, Access to Justice, along with 8 other organizations filed a civil action for a court order mandating the federal government to undertake thorough, impartial investigations into the allegations of war crimes levied against military operatives after the Jonathan administration refused to provide evidence that it investigated those reports. That suit is pending in the Federal High Court in the FCT. We now demand, again, thorough, impartial and independent investigations into the latest set of allegations made by AI. We are happy to note that the Buhari administration is studying the report; however the government needs to move quickly to constitute a prompt, impartial and effective inquiry into it now before vital evidence is destroyed or compromised. For this purpose, we demand:

1) That all the serving military officers named in the AI report proceed on compulsory leave from their current duties to safeguard against risks of interference with any investigations that would be conducted into the allegations;
2) That Air Chief Marshal Alex Badeh, and Lt. General Ken Minimah current Chiefs of Defence Staff and Army Staff respectively, immediately step down from office or proceed on compulsory leave to make way for investigations into the allegations contained in the AI report.

Allegations of grave and massive human rights violations by military forces have seriously dented Nigeria’s image nationally and internationally and this needs to change. A2Justice urges President Buhari to bring about real democratic “change” in the conduct of military counter-terrorism operations and ensure that Nigeria abides by its national and international obligations to protect and respect human rights and comply with internationally binding rules of warfare. This will improve Nigeria’s standing and brighten prospects of winning international support to defeat the scourge of terrorism; we also urge President Buhari to ensure that impunity by security and law enforcement agencies, which is often implicated in the conduct of a vast range of security and law enforcement operations in Nigeria is fought and stamped out with relentless determination and vigour. Applying the rule of law to the fight against terrorism will increase the chances of winning that war and restoring security and safety to Nigerians. The failure of the Nigerian government to investigate the allegations in the AI report will be tantamount to breaching its international obligations.

Joseph Otteh Imuekemhe Emike Jessica
Executive Director Programme Officer
Re: Saraki 'Elected' Senate President While APC Senators Were Meeting With Buhari by lastkard(m): 1:22pm On Jun 09, 2015
Na #GodWin
Re: Saraki 'Elected' Senate President While APC Senators Were Meeting With Buhari by muh4lyf(m): 1:23pm On Jun 09, 2015
manutdrichie:

How?
Can't you see those politicians always get what they want? We would be here on NL abusing ourselves... Saraki can't talk about democracy, so can tinubu cos both of them have been doing things un democratically since 1960.... They are all the same, the masses would still pay for their failure at the end cos they won't perform.. I am just sorry for PMB, even dou he might not be totally perfect, he still remains credible, in the midst of tinubu saraki and the likes, I doubt if he would be allowed to do excellently well...
Re: Saraki 'Elected' Senate President While APC Senators Were Meeting With Buhari by informato: 1:23pm On Jun 09, 2015
sosanova:
[size=13pt]You tambuwal me...I Saraki you grin grin grin grin
Buhari is a real Dullard for calling a meeting at such a critical time, he doesn't understand Nigeria politics
[/size]
hhahahaahhahha...buhari will send his boys to '' do you something now ' if you know what i mean
Re: Saraki 'Elected' Senate President While APC Senators Were Meeting With Buhari by Noble11(m): 1:24pm On Jun 09, 2015
NaijaTalkTown:
It is the right of the president of the federal republic of Nigeria to proclaim the new assembly before they can select a new leader. The election was however carried out in the absent of the president. This election is illegal and not recognized by the Nigerian constitution. The election should be nullified and the clerk should be persecuted. And Saraki should be expelled from APC. EFCC get ready to probe someone.
Story for the gods
Re: Saraki 'Elected' Senate President While APC Senators Were Meeting With Buhari by omoharry(f): 1:24pm On Jun 09, 2015
soe:

And i can see a supreme court judgment underway....suspending the Senate until further notice.

The illegality in the action of the so called clerk of the house will not stand. Having inaugurated 57senators only out of 109, that is not even up to a quorum (quorum is 1/3rd for normal plenary...but for extraordinary plenary such as this and constitution amendment among others specified by law, it is 2/3rd).

And this was also without the requisite formal declaration by Mr President, signalling the launching of the new assembly.
That said, APC needs to checkmate the activities of certain people. Saraki has only confirmed that he is far from "change" as he is neck deep in romance with the PdP gang. Shame to kwankwaso also, for being no different...now I know never to trust the so called N-PDP boys who ought to have been left to rot in political oblivion like Lamido and Muazu.

First, he called the VP a mere commissioner.
Secondly, he damned the meeting with mr president.
Thirdly, he paired with pdp imps.

My advicr to Buhari, this guy still has 4 heavy corruption baggages....it is either you immediately recruit Nuhu Ribadu into the EFCC, or you consult OBJ on how to deal ruthlessly with Senate Presidents.

Wabara knows what I'm talking about
APC supporters, why are you guys pained about this whole episode. were you guys not rejoicing back then when Tambuwa defected from PDP to APC even as he was still cuupying this speaker-ship position? .why it is so difficult for APC and their supporters to accept things when its not in their favour . na waooo!!..

2 Likes

Re: Saraki 'Elected' Senate President While APC Senators Were Meeting With Buhari by jomoh: 1:24pm On Jun 09, 2015
Ezenwammadu:
Nothing illegal took place today.For the senate to convene it requires 1/3 quourm which is 36
http://www.waado.org/nigerdelta/documents/ConstitutionalMatters/1999Constitution/ChapterFive.html.

The proclamation was read at the begining

The quorum was formed with 57 senators and Saraki was elected with 57 votes which is simple majority.

His deputy was elected with 54 votes aganist ndume 20

Sarki simply out smarted APC leadership with his loyal members

Is that one in the biafran constitution?

Read Nigerian constitution well. This is an extraordinary plenary 2/3 section not and ordinary one where 1/3 is needed. Does the clerk have the constitutional powers to make the proclamation. When we have a sitting president.
Re: Saraki 'Elected' Senate President While APC Senators Were Meeting With Buhari by yommyflo(m): 1:24pm On Jun 09, 2015
Naija politic.... so much fun
Re: Saraki 'Elected' Senate President While APC Senators Were Meeting With Buhari by sellydion: 1:25pm On Jun 09, 2015
BACK DOOR ELECTION, ABUSE OF DETAIL PROCESS. KANGAROO SENATE.

IF THEY START LIKE THIS UNPOPULAR REHEARSAL, HOW WILL THEY END IT?
Re: Saraki 'Elected' Senate President While APC Senators Were Meeting With Buhari by Caseless: 1:25pm On Jun 09, 2015
DevilhimseIf:

bro cool down at least una get presidency grin
I thank God for giving us presidency.

You know , the leadership of apc have created an enemy in saraki for BUHARI. You know what gej faced in the hands of Tambuwal.
Re: Saraki 'Elected' Senate President While APC Senators Were Meeting With Buhari by UfuosLaLa: 1:26pm On Jun 09, 2015
soe:

And i can see a supreme court judgment underway....suspending the Senate until further notice.

The illegality in the action of the so called clerk of the house will not stand. Having inaugurated 57senators only out of 109, that is not even up to a quorum (quorum is 1/3rd for normal plenary...but for extraordinary plenary such as this and constitution amendment among others specified by law, it is 2/3rd).

And this was also without the requisite formal declaration by Mr President, signalling the launching of the new assembly.
That said, APC needs to checkmate the activities of certain people. Saraki has only confirmed that he is far from "change" as he is neck deep in romance with the PdP gang. Shame to kwankwaso also, for being no different...now I know never to trust the so called N-PDP boys who ought to have been left to rot in political oblivion like Lamido and Muazu.

First, he called the VP a mere commissioner.
Secondly, he damned the meeting with mr president.
Thirdly, he paired with pdp imps.

My advicr to Buhari, this guy still has 4 heavy corruption baggages....it is either you immediately recruit Nuhu Ribadu into the EFCC, or you consult OBJ on how to deal ruthlessly with Senate Presidents.

Wabara knows what I'm talking about
Na now day break?
Re: Saraki 'Elected' Senate President While APC Senators Were Meeting With Buhari by cfcchick: 1:26pm On Jun 09, 2015
aguiyi:
the Daura President will be thought how far Nigeria has moved since 1985.

David mark would have emerged the senate president if all the APC senators had gone for that meeting.

1/3 of the house is 36 and we have more than that .

Oponu....
Re: Saraki 'Elected' Senate President While APC Senators Were Meeting With Buhari by DevilhimseIf: 1:27pm On Jun 09, 2015
Caseless:
I thank God for giving us presidency.

You know , the leadership of apc have created an enemy in saraki for BUHARI. You know what gej faced in the hands of Tambuwal.

That's were your party leaders miscalculated.

Buhari no even send them
Re: Saraki 'Elected' Senate President While APC Senators Were Meeting With Buhari by Donchkus(m): 1:27pm On Jun 09, 2015
I said it....dis is just starting.. Fake Change....
Re: Saraki 'Elected' Senate President While APC Senators Were Meeting With Buhari by Bizibi(m): 1:28pm On Jun 09, 2015
Sahara reporters the defender(voltron) of APC ,make we see if they go remain as voltron.....
Re: Saraki 'Elected' Senate President While APC Senators Were Meeting With Buhari by Nobody: 1:28pm On Jun 09, 2015
ybalogs:

After how many years in power?
Oh, nothing was wrong with calling Jonathan derogatory names(clueless, drunkard, weakling e.t.c) but something is wrong with calling Buhari a dullard.

Gross hypocrisy!!!!!!!!! !!! !! !!!! !!!!

4 Likes

Re: Saraki 'Elected' Senate President While APC Senators Were Meeting With Buhari by Ezenwammadu(m): 1:28pm On Jun 09, 2015
jomoh:

Is that one in the biafran constitution?

Read Nigerian constitution well. This is an extraordinary plenary 2/3 section not and ordinary one where 1/3 is needed. Does the clerk have the constitutional powers to make the proclamation. When we have a sitting president.
Buhari delegated the proclamation powers to the clerk when he sent the letter

Re: Saraki 'Elected' Senate President While APC Senators Were Meeting With Buhari by babestella: 1:29pm On Jun 09, 2015
PStacks:

Look! "NEVER" come up here and call the President a Dullard again in your life, otherwise I'l track you and maim you.

Your Father is the Dullard here not to have flushed you in the drains.

See this clow.n, you should be in a circus you APC minion. You are even worse than a dullard for you to descend this low to threaten anyone on social media.
Re: Saraki 'Elected' Senate President While APC Senators Were Meeting With Buhari by OrlandoOwoh(m): 1:29pm On Jun 09, 2015
Ezenwammadu:
The legal proclamation was read at the begining of the inaugration
What was read was the notice that the President was supposed to be in the NASS.
Re: Saraki 'Elected' Senate President While APC Senators Were Meeting With Buhari by virud: 1:30pm On Jun 09, 2015
Hahahah... I (love) our brand of democracy ! Situation where no single person or group can hold the entire country ransom !
Re: Saraki 'Elected' Senate President While APC Senators Were Meeting With Buhari by demio007: 1:30pm On Jun 09, 2015
Why is SR lying? i watched it naa, how can we have 57 senators in the house when Election result of deputy president reads :

54- Ikweremadu
20- Ali
1- Void

Total ===75 and 2/3 of 109 is 72!!!!!

Common people. lying wont do us any good.

I wish APC listened to words of reasoning, this wont have happened.

Long Live Fed Rep of NIja

4 Likes

Re: Saraki 'Elected' Senate President While APC Senators Were Meeting With Buhari by Caseless: 1:30pm On Jun 09, 2015
DevilhimseIf:

That's were your party leaders miscalculated.

Buhari no even send them

saraki knows BUHARI is not against him, he would work with BUHARI.

BUHARI no wan interfere

1 Like

Re: Saraki 'Elected' Senate President While APC Senators Were Meeting With Buhari by PastorOla1: 1:31pm On Jun 09, 2015
A MAN WHO CAN DESTROY HIS OWN FATHER'S POLITICAL EMPIRE & BRING IT TO AN END CAN DESTROY ANYBODY'S POLITICAL AGENDA. APC DID NOT KNOW BUKOLA SARAKI TOO WELL.

1 Like

Re: Saraki 'Elected' Senate President While APC Senators Were Meeting With Buhari by Lionsclaw: 1:32pm On Jun 09, 2015
PStacks:

Look! "NEVER" come up here and call the President a Dullard again in your life, otherwise I'l track you and maim you.

Your Father is the Dullard here not to have flushed you in the drains.
It is wrong to insult the president but how many people did u maim when gej was been insulted.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Saraki 'Elected' Senate President While APC Senators Were Meeting With Buhari by Ezenwammadu(m): 1:32pm On Jun 09, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

What was read was the notice that the President was supposed to be in the NASS.
The president delegated the power to the clerk when he sent the inaugral letter to him

2 Likes

Re: Saraki 'Elected' Senate President While APC Senators Were Meeting With Buhari by Popemax(m): 1:33pm On Jun 09, 2015
The heat has just started...Saraki carry go

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Saraki 'Elected' Senate President While APC Senators Were Meeting With Buhari by peleson: 1:33pm On Jun 09, 2015
ferhyntorlah:

That's my concern. I believe more drama will play out.
Just watch out!
So the clark should be sacked for doing the right thing! Imagine, so gej should v sacked jega for trying to do the "suppose good thing"?
Hypocrite!
Slave!!

1 Like

Re: Saraki 'Elected' Senate President While APC Senators Were Meeting With Buhari by chigoizie7(m): 1:35pm On Jun 09, 2015
Stoical:

cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy
Let's take a closer look at these events...
Qtn 1: Who's choice was Law an?
Qtn 2: Does Buhari feel very comfortable with those backing Lawan?
Qtn 3: Between the NE and NC, who has more political weight and backers? Note: Atiku factor has not yet been discussed...
Lastly: How sure are we that "the meeting called by PMB at the time the National Assembly was supposed to be inaugurated was not planned? And how do we explain the fact that, PMB had earlier sent a letter, authorising the Inauguration of the 8th Assembly by the Clerk of the house?

Really, to clear the air... The house does elects its leader by simple majority (108 - 51 = 57)... So, they acted under the law.
To unseat the SP, they need 2/3 majority...

Wow! Buhari said, "I'll work with anybody, setting a precedence that he ain't supporting anyone, yet a "meeting" was called at the exact time where the house was to be inaugurated...(please, decipher this, my good friends)

We re saying the same thing, I am not in anyway concerned weda PMB likes or dislikes saraki emerging as d SP, noooooo, don't get me wrong.

Ofcoz saraki was elected constitutionally.

My only concern is how myopic those dat went for the meeting could be, they refused to see the hand writing on the wall. How could u explain the fact that u re scheduled for an exam that will determine ur next step in life(assume) and u left the exam to go and watch barca vs madrid match, of course the people u will be writing the exams with will commence with or without you, and that Is wat jut happened

I only pray, that lawan and co should not discharge their duties in a myopic and reckless manner as they have already shown.

My 2cents.

1 Like

Re: Saraki 'Elected' Senate President While APC Senators Were Meeting With Buhari by kipesco(m): 1:35pm On Jun 09, 2015
peleson:

And where did they leave the senate chambers to? Mind u buhari gve his approval to the senate Clark before leaving for Germany. The apc senators are still mostly baby senators lol. What goes around comes around. I v said it time without number, buhari lacks dexterity to coordinate leadership! He always happens to be ther but always doesn't know what to do! He lacks mental credibility! And that can be attributed to his lack of smooth education

He tink say the senators be small pikin wey him go say sit down dem go sit down.

1 Like

Re: Saraki 'Elected' Senate President While APC Senators Were Meeting With Buhari by Nobody: 1:35pm On Jun 09, 2015
NaijaTalkTown:
It is the right of the president of the federal republic of Nigeria to proclaim the new assembly before they can select a new leader. The election was however carried out in the absent of the president. This election is illegal and not recognized by the Nigerian constitution. The election should be nullified and the clerk should be persecuted. And Saraki should be expelled from APC. EFCC get ready to probe someone.

Why do u want to persecute the clerk? grin grin
You will be prosecuted ooo if u persecute the clerk for carrying out his clerical duties.

grin

1 Like

Re: Saraki 'Elected' Senate President While APC Senators Were Meeting With Buhari by Toktee(m): 1:36pm On Jun 09, 2015
Ezenwammadu:
Nothing illegal took place today.For the senate to convene it requires 1/3 quourm which is 36
http://www.waado.org/nigerdelta/documents/ConstitutionalMatters/1999Constitution/ChapterFive.html.

The proclamation was read at the begining

The quorum was formed with 57 senators and Saraki was elected with 57 votes which is simple majority.

His deputy was elected with 54 votes aganist ndume 20

Sarki simply out smarted APC leadership with his loyal members
i see saraki and many other apc members going on suspension soon for anti party activities.
Re: Saraki 'Elected' Senate President While APC Senators Were Meeting With Buhari by kaybext(m): 1:36pm On Jun 09, 2015
lipsrsealed!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Military Base Attacked By Boko Haram In Yobe (Photos) / Photo Of Tinubu With Yobo & Taribo West / Buhari Garnered 697,532 votes In Imo APC Presidential Primary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.