Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,825 members, 7,813,713 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:53 PM

Try This Algorithm Question. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Try This Algorithm Question. (3530 Views)

Please What Is This Algorithm That Compares............ / Pls Programmers Help With Similarities Of Pseudocode & Algorithm / Your Toughest Algorithm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Try This Algorithm Question. by Nobody: 7:12pm On Jun 11, 2015
Write an algorithm to evaluate y=a(b-c)^2/d+2. Let x=a(b-c)^2. Thanks. Write the steps involved
Re: Try This Algorithm Question. by codemarshal08(m): 7:41pm On Jun 11, 2015
sirdamis:
Write an algorithm to evaluate y=a(b-c)^2/d+2. Let x=a(b-c)^2. Thanks. Write the steps involved
Homework Question cheesy

1 Like

Re: Try This Algorithm Question. by GuiltySpark343(m): 10:40pm On Jun 11, 2015
Re: Try This Algorithm Question. by seunthomas: 7:34am On Jun 12, 2015
OP. You just posted crap. What you have is an algorithm. I think what you mean is an implementation for that algorithm. If you need the implementation, what Language do you want it in??
Re: Try This Algorithm Question. by Nobody: 7:57am On Jun 12, 2015
Make ah do ya Home-work for you abi?

1 Like

Re: Try This Algorithm Question. by Nobody: 6:15pm On Jun 12, 2015
SS3 question
Re: Try This Algorithm Question. by Nobody: 6:16pm On Jun 12, 2015
flow chat shocked
Re: Try This Algorithm Question. by 2mNaira: 8:25pm On Jun 12, 2015
seunthomas:
OP. You just posted crap. What you have is an algorithm. I think what you mean is an implementation for that algorithm. If you need the implementation, what Language do you want it in??

Friend u are wrong. That's not an agorithm. Its an equatn. This is certainly not crap.

See
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algorithm

1 Like

Re: Try This Algorithm Question. by seunthomas: 8:05am On Jun 14, 2015
Did you read the article? Because sounds like an algorithm is an equation(or process of solving a problem).
Re: Try This Algorithm Question. by gmus: 9:51am On Jun 15, 2015
seunthomas:
Did you read the article? Because sounds like an algorithm is an equation(or process of solving a problem).

I did not read the article. I posted it for you. I know what an algorithm is.

Simply stated, an algorithm is a clearly stated step-by-step process of solving a problem.

An algorithm could be written inform of a flow chart or in statement form or such similar form, but definitely not in any programming language.

Programmer can then implement the algorithm in their programming language of choice.

Here is an algorithm for solving a quadratic equation using completing the square method:

1. Declare three variables A,B and C.
2.Get the value of the qaudratic constants a,b and c from the users into variables A,B and C respectively.

and so on and so forth.

post-addition:
Algorithms can be written down any were. They are mostly written down in our mind from where we write the implementation.
Re: Try This Algorithm Question. by seunthomas: 10:40am On Jun 15, 2015
gmus:

I did not read the article. I posted it for you. I know what an algorithm is.

Simply stated, an algorithm is a clearly stated step-by-step process of solving a problem.

An algorithm could be written inform of a flow chart or in statement form or such similar form, but definitely not in any programming language.

Programmer can then implement the algorithm in their programming language of choice.

Here is an algorithm for solving a quadratic equation using completing the square method:

1. Declare three variables A,B and C.
2.Get the value of the qaudratic constants a,b and c from the users into variables A,B and C respectively.

and so on and so forth.

post-addition:
Algorithms can be written down any were. They are mostly written down in our mind from where we write the implementation.

Go and read the article. Also you just described one aspect of an algorithm. An algorithm in itself can also be solution to a problem as well as the way to solve it.

a process or set of rules to be followed in calculations or

other problem-solving operations
Re: Try This Algorithm Question. by gmus: 11:18am On Jun 15, 2015
seunthomas:

Go and read the article. Also you just described one aspect of an algorithm. An algorithm in itself can also be solution to a problem as well as the way to solve it.

Ok. I will read the article. Yes, what you stated above is a correct description of an algorithm. But most certainly an algorithm cannot be an equation as you stated earlier above.
Re: Try This Algorithm Question. by seunthomas: 11:25am On Jun 15, 2015
gmus:

Ok. I will read the article. Yes, what you stated above is a correct description of an algorithm. But most certainly an algorithm cannot be an equation as you stated earlier above.
Guy you too argue sha. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algorithm
Thus an algorithm can be an algebraic equation such as y = m + n—two arbitrary "input variables" m and n that produce an output y. But various authors' attempts to define the notion indicate that the word implies much more than this, something on the order of (for the addition example):
Re: Try This Algorithm Question. by gmus: 11:28am On Jun 15, 2015
seunthomas:

Post-Addition:
I skimmed through the article. I couldn't find any section that stated, suggested or implied that an aticle is an equation as you posited earlier above. You owe the op. an apology for calling his post crap.

That is an equation that would require an algorithm to solve such that the algorithm can be implemented in any programming language.
Re: Try This Algorithm Question. by seunthomas: 11:40am On Jun 15, 2015
gmus:

Post-Addition:
I skimmed through the article. I couldn't find any section that stated, suggested or implied that an aticle is an equation as you posited earlier above. You owe the op. an apology for calling his post crap.

That is an equation that would require an algorithm to solve such that the algorithm can be implemented in any programming language.
Dont skim. Read. Skimming is why you make assumptions. Also read the wikipedia link above.
Re: Try This Algorithm Question. by gmus: 11:41am On Jun 15, 2015
seunthomas:

Guy you too argue sha. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algorithm
Thus an algorithm can be an algebraic equation such as y = m + n—two arbitrary "input variables" m and n that produce an output y. But various authors' attempts to define the notion indicate that the word implies much more than this, something on the order of (for the addition example):

I guese this is what you are saying:

An "enumerably infinite set" is one whose elements can be put into one-to-one correspondence with the integers. Thus, Boolos and Jeffrey are saying that an algorithm implies instructions for a process that "creates" output integers from an arbitrary "input" integer or integers that, in theory, can be arbitrarily large. Thus an algorithm can be an algebraic equation such as y = m + n—two arbitrary "input variables" m and n that produce an output y.

But you should have also seen the succeeding statement:

But various authors' attempts to define the notion indicate that the word implies much more than this, something on the order of (for the addition example):

and the statement:

Precise instructions (in language understood by "the computer"wink[17] for a fast, efficient, "good"[18] process that specifies the "moves" of "the computer" (machine or human, equipped with the necessary internally contained information and capabilities)[19] to find, decode, and then process arbitrary input integers/symbols m and n, symbols + and = ... and "effectively"[20] produce, in a "reasonable" time,[21] output-integer y at a specified place and in a specified format.

In this age and time in computer science, an algorithm cannot be said to be an equation. I f you still don't see this then I have nothing more to say.
Re: Try This Algorithm Question. by seunthomas: 11:44am On Jun 15, 2015
gmus:

I guese this is what you are saying:

An "enumerably infinite set" is one whose elements can be put into one-to-one correspondence with the integers. Thus, Boolos and Jeffrey are saying that an algorithm implies instructions for a process that "creates" output integers from an arbitrary "input" integer or integers that, in theory, can be arbitrarily large. Thus an algorithm can be an algebraic equation such as y = m + n—two arbitrary "input variables" m and n that produce an output y.

But you should have also seen the succeeding statement:

But various authors' attempts to define the notion indicate that the word implies much more than this, something on the order of (for the addition example):

and the statement:

Precise instructions (in language understood by "the computer"wink[17] for a fast, efficient, "good"[18] process that specifies the "moves" of "the computer" (machine or human, equipped with the necessary internally contained information and capabilities)[19] to find, decode, and then process arbitrary input integers/symbols m and n, symbols + and = ... and "effectively"[20] produce, in a "reasonable" time,[21] output-integer y at a specified place and in a specified format.

In this age and time in computer science, an algorithm cannot be said to be an equation. I f you still don't see this then I have nothing more to say.

Read the article and stop guessing what am saying(Assumptions).
Re: Try This Algorithm Question. by Nobody: 9:12pm On Jul 01, 2015
seunthomas:

Read the article and stop guessing what am saying(Assumptions).
Them no dey read any Long Article...
But if you see dem for Sexuality section now, na dem be baba. grin
If their 9jaBet Script Long like Mat, Them go understand every line. grin

(1) (Reply)

How To Compile FORTRAN Program On Android / I Got Scammed!!! Devs Shine Your Eyes... / Create A Website Like Nairaland In 3minutes & Start Making Tons Of Money Online

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.