Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,111 members, 7,828,939 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:18 PM

Is Doing A Website For A Scammer Illegal? - Webmasters (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Is Doing A Website For A Scammer Illegal? (12329 Views)

Make $100 Plus Weekly Online By Doing A Legal Easy Work / Beware..... Laughnigerian(facebook: Mixta Morgan) Is A SCAMMER! / Beware..... Umujagbe Wacomcy Mudiaga(profile Name: Wacomcy21) Is A SCAMMER! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Doing A Website For A Scammer Illegal? by Born2eatPussy(m): 3:01pm On Jun 13, 2015
phemmylink:
Really dont know what to do.. seriously in need of bar.. I design websites.. a friend of mine has a client who is a scammer.. the client want us to do a e-commerce website, I have billed the client.. I have even collected 50% of the payment. But is it illegal.. am I in danger.. have got alot of questions. .. what do u guys fink.. I need the money.. any legal advice here.. will appreciate pls

No need to worry
If you can do mine i will appreciate it
I live in the U.s
If i commit a scam with the website,the U.s government will not come to nigeria to arrest you.
If you're serious contact me

1 Like

Re: Is Doing A Website For A Scammer Illegal? by Nobody: 3:08pm On Jun 13, 2015
You are a web designer, that is your job. You need not know what another person is doing with the web site you are building for them. It is not your business. As far as you have issued him payment receipt for the money paid, you have done absolutely nothing wrong. Except you are charging him less or more than required in anticipation of further incentives when he gets paid by who ever. You have done nothing absolutely wrong.

Let me add that you should keep a duplicate of the receipt issued to the payor and also keep invoice for service rendered. The law has nothing to do with morality, it has all to do with the constitution of the country you are in. Do not bother about other person's venture. The end justifies the means. No one is perfect, not even one.

2 Likes

Re: Is Doing A Website For A Scammer Illegal? by 19naia(m): 3:11pm On Jun 13, 2015
You know what his motives are and believe he will use it for scamming..?. If you help him after this ,then you are qualified as accessory to the crime or aiding and abetting a crime... If you didnt know, then how are you to know and be accountable for it? It is his private affair. But since you know his background, it is not right to do the work unless you get a signed agreement with him that the website is not being made for illegal purposes and that the customer swears to not use it as such..

The way to do it if you need the money, is to get a signed agreement by the customer that he in no way intends to use the website for illegal activities and that he further indemnifies you from all association with any crime he may commit with the website in the future.. Include that you assited in the web site for legal use only and will not be made responsble for any future breach of agreement by the client doing illegal activities..
Its the same as a theif buying a car, it does not guarantee the theif will use the car to commit a crime or that the theif has not changed his ways and is using the car for legitimate work, rather than political aspirations as a means to get closer to the peoples loot..
Nothing to worry after signing a good faith agreement.. Worse things can happen, like being overun by politicians who do nothing but steal and allow people to live in a general state of squalor... shocked Dont be caught makng web site for politician Ooo.. When they catch him, they will know you helped promote him for election into office where he cleaned out the public coffers to swell a foreign account with mega millions..
Re: Is Doing A Website For A Scammer Illegal? by Amazo: 3:24pm On Jun 13, 2015
phemmylink:
Really dont know what to do.. seriously in need of bar.. I design websites.. a friend of mine has a client who is a scammer.. the client want us to do a e-commerce website, I have billed the client.. I have even collected 50% of the payment. But is it illegal.. am I in danger.. have got alot of questions. .. what do u guys fink.. I need the money.. any legal advice here.. will appreciate pls

Illegal? No! Unethical? Maybe, depending on the perspective you look at it. You're offering a professional service, selling an IT product and should be based on a no-questions-asked policy, that is whatever the said client uses the product for shouldn't be your business. Grow some balls and collect payment for the job. However, since you have been too nosy and already privy to the client's sinister intentions, then keep a tab on him and anonymously snitch him over to the authorities (cover your tracks well) at the opportune time, which must be after getting fully paid. Then go sip on some Spanish cocktail and find some juicy BBW to sit on your laps and caress your neck with electrifying kisses, and then you let out that relaxing sigh of an intelligent man who is on top of his game. That's how to eat your cake and still have it - a win-win situation.

1 Like

Re: Is Doing A Website For A Scammer Illegal? by Cruzeiro(m): 3:26pm On Jun 13, 2015
It's quite simple. you are a principal offender under section 7(b) of the criminal code. you are a party to any offence committed since you were abreast of his motives.
Re: Is Doing A Website For A Scammer Illegal? by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jun 13, 2015
19naia:
You know what his motives are and believe he will use it for scamming..?. If you help him after this ,then you are qualified as accessory to the crime or aiding and abetting a crime... If you didnt know, then how are you to know and be accountable for it? It is his private affair. But since you know his background, it is not right to do the work unless you get a signed agreement with him that the website is not being made for illegal purposes and that the customer swears to not use it as such..

The way to do it if you need the money, is to get a signed agreement by the customer that he in no way intends to use the website for illegal activities and that he further indemnifies you from all association with any crime he may commit with the website in the future.. Include that you assited in the web site for legal use only and will not be made responsble for any future breach of agreement by the client doing illegal activities..
Its the same as a theif buying a car, it does not guarantee the theif will use the car to commit a crime or that the theif has not changed his ways and is using the car for legitimate work, rather than political aspirations as a means to get closer to the peoples loot..
Nothing to worry after signing a good faith agreement.. Worse things can happen, like being overun by politicians who do nothing but steal and allow people to live in a general state of squalor... shocked Dont be caught makng web site for politician Ooo.. When they catch him, they will know you helped promote him for election into office where he cleaned out the public coffers to swell a foreign account with mega millions..

False that makes him an accessory, if he didn't know about the purpose about the website then that would questionable, however you are right they can't proved he knew he could claim he didn't there's no law on morality though.
Re: Is Doing A Website For A Scammer Illegal? by crisycent: 3:34pm On Jun 13, 2015
Guy na wah for you o! Your picture even dey your handle for NL.

1 Like

Re: Is Doing A Website For A Scammer Illegal? by donsheddy1(m): 3:36pm On Jun 13, 2015
I don't think I know the tope you're refering to.
Chillinmasoul:

That's true..but he's doing his Job man... There's no crime if he actualizes the design and hands everything to him with an agreement not to further manage, maintain and so on... On the the website.

If I was the guy, I go finish the work and collect my 50% plus no more communicating with him... I could even go to the length of taking a legal agreement in court self!

#i wouldn't have taken it up at the first instance...but since him don start make him be wise!

This is Richard Tope's friend. Guess you know him? my regards to him!
Re: Is Doing A Website For A Scammer Illegal? by Chillinmasoul(m): 3:39pm On Jun 13, 2015
donsheddy1:
I don't think I know the tope you're refering to.

He works in ckdigital too... His name is Ogundele Richards Tope, Google search him. Or don't you work there too?
Re: Is Doing A Website For A Scammer Illegal? by Nobody: 3:43pm On Jun 13, 2015
Then wat will u say of d web host?

1 Like

Re: Is Doing A Website For A Scammer Illegal? by Chillinmasoul(m): 3:46pm On Jun 13, 2015
holder:
Then wat will u say of d web host?

Dem go follow catch them na grin grin cheesy

Abeg make d guy chop clean mouth jooo
Re: Is Doing A Website For A Scammer Illegal? by pelij18(m): 3:56pm On Jun 13, 2015
phemmylink:
Sorry bro.... I must say your english is poorly presented, please work on it before engaging yourself in any forum of such kind.

Thanks
Re: Is Doing A Website For A Scammer Illegal? by otunbadan(m): 4:07pm On Jun 13, 2015
phemmylink:

That's called aiding and abetting, a good police man who is a lawyer will nail you and seal your coffin then you will now bail yourself out with 3 times al least the scammer paid you....
Re: Is Doing A Website For A Scammer Illegal? by pomsky: 4:20pm On Jun 13, 2015
phemmylink:

[size=14pt].....no it's not illegal. You just design and sell the gun armed robbers use to rob, so you are free as the air even when the robbers are caught. Long throat, ole! angry[/size]
Re: Is Doing A Website For A Scammer Illegal? by JewelDiamond(f): 4:21pm On Jun 13, 2015
No because he will scam u first
Re: Is Doing A Website For A Scammer Illegal? by mmsen: 4:25pm On Jun 13, 2015
Is it illegal to sell a hammer to a cutlass to an armed robber?

It's not illegal but it is immoral to sell something that is intended for criminal activity.
Re: Is Doing A Website For A Scammer Illegal? by supereagle(m): 4:34pm On Jun 13, 2015
Let your conscience be your guide , you don't need anybody telling you ooo .
Re: Is Doing A Website For A Scammer Illegal? by Ayomidegbenga1(m): 4:40pm On Jun 13, 2015
[quote author=phemmylink post=34714063]Really dont know what to do.. seriously in need of bar.. I design websites.. a friend of mine has a client who is a scammer.. the client want us to do a e-commerce website, I have billed the client.. I have even collected 50% of the payment. But is it illegal.. am I in danger.. have got alot of questions. .. what do u guys fink.. I need the money.. any legal advice here.. will appreciate pls[/quote

can you just listen yourself? A scammer....
Re: Is Doing A Website For A Scammer Illegal? by Reference(m): 4:42pm On Jun 13, 2015
You can see what I am saying. Nigerians are not at consensus on what constitutes right and wrong. This fundamental flaw is one of the reasons why we progress......only in circles.

1 Like

Re: Is Doing A Website For A Scammer Illegal? by Octano(m): 4:50pm On Jun 13, 2015
[size=40pt]Funny thing is he has even spent some of the money. [/size]

1 Like

Re: Is Doing A Website For A Scammer Illegal? by Chillinmasoul(m): 5:05pm On Jun 13, 2015
otunbadan:

That's called aiding and abetting, a good police man who is a lawyer will nail you and seal your coffin then you will now bail yourself out with 3 times al least the scammer paid you....

Mr English, this man puts up a serious problem and here you are telling us how bad his English is! Proffer solutions and not tell him how you and Whole Soyinka schooled together. Who doesn't understand him!! Mtshwww
Re: Is Doing A Website For A Scammer Illegal? by sleemfesh: 5:38pm On Jun 13, 2015
phemmylink:

Having taken the money you are already a thief and you know that. Quit asking. You sound like a rogue already. Taking money and thinking later. They will surely get him, it's a matter of time. You are next in line.

1 Like

Re: Is Doing A Website For A Scammer Illegal? by sleemfesh: 5:39pm On Jun 13, 2015
Chillinmasoul:

Mr English, this man puts up a serious problem and here you are telling us how bad his English is! Proffer solutions and not tell him how you and Whole Soyinka schooled together. Who doesn't understand him!! Mtshwww

There's no solution it's fraud. He didn't put up any serious problem. A two year old can solve this meaning it's no problem. It's someone lying graciously to themselves.

1 Like

Re: Is Doing A Website For A Scammer Illegal? by tosmartak(m): 6:53pm On Jun 13, 2015
Your principles and your conscience should help you. Forget about the money, you will spend and finish it. But the aftermath? You might end up in jail with the scammer, that is if you dont end up there alone. No two ways, you will be an accomplice especially since you know he is a scammer and you still did it anyway.

My own opinion - It is not right and might affect you more negatively than the stipend attached to it and legally, you'd better start watching your back if you eventually do it cos they might come knocking very soon.

Come to think of it ooooo, na the levels wey these guys wan start with be this? Nawa o. Today on, especially nigerian e-commerce sites, anything that has to do with online purchase, if it is not pay on delivery. Au revoir.

1 Like

Re: Is Doing A Website For A Scammer Illegal? by otunbadan(m): 7:06pm On Jun 13, 2015
Chillinmasoul:

Mr, are you this retarded. Read and think deeply before spitting your stupidity on a public forum.
Re: Is Doing A Website For A Scammer Illegal? by maestroz: 7:16pm On Jun 13, 2015
phemmylink:

just like asking if building prisons for corrupt persons illegal
Re: Is Doing A Website For A Scammer Illegal? by rexharysn(m): 7:19pm On Jun 13, 2015
Mehn I av been in ur shoes once...... I had to run away from the guy. it is illegal, you would b accomplish to the crime. My advice is if u still av the cash return it bro! smiley
Re: Is Doing A Website For A Scammer Illegal? by maestroz: 7:19pm On Jun 13, 2015
phemmylink:

after collecting illegal monies you kom dey ask? Anyway your name speaks volume. Phemmylink would only provide nairalanders LINK to the police once the case is mentioned on airwave.

1 Like

Re: Is Doing A Website For A Scammer Illegal? by babestella: 7:44pm On Jun 13, 2015
phemmylink:

It's simple, get a lawyer to give him a comprehensive agreement to sign and make sure you include all the clauses that will excuse you from any crime he might commit with the site. It's called "Caveat" once you do that and he signs it, get copies of the agreement notarized and that is all. If he refuses to sign then return his money, he want to make you an accomplice.

Learn to do business professionally. The man who invented the AK47 never intended it for use by armed robbers. Abroad when you are buying a gun from a gun shop there are always a "caveat" in the documents you sign before purchase.

There are even scammers and hackers who know how to build a website, many.

3 Likes

Re: Is Doing A Website For A Scammer Illegal? by Bollinger(m): 8:20pm On Jun 13, 2015
phemmylink:

I know this is a made up story but i will respond anyway. Prior knowledge to a crime or an act leading to a crime makes you an accessory. As if you didn't already know that.

1 Like

Re: Is Doing A Website For A Scammer Illegal? by dyabman(m): 8:32pm On Jun 13, 2015
Bunch of posters on these topic are pure hypocrites !!
Re: Is Doing A Website For A Scammer Illegal? by Nobody: 9:01pm On Jun 13, 2015
phemmylink:

Bros run!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Vps Server Hosting Fully Managed Servers / Patrick Ogidi: Real Or Scam?? / 7 Tips For Selecting Your Domain Name

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.