Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,268 members, 7,818,924 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:15 AM

British Passport - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / British Passport (1716 Views)

Applying For First-time British Passport In Naija / Travellig To Nigeria On A British Passport But Without A Visa Or Nigerian Passpo / Travel To The Usa With British Passport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

British Passport by love4ucr(f): 9:33am On Feb 23, 2009
I did the test a couple of years ago, i passed but i was told the law changed that i have to spend 5 years in uk before i can apply for the british passport
Well it been 5 years now and i am wondering the steps i have to take. will i have to do the test again? how do i go about the whole process & i also heard the fee is now £800? is that true
Thanks
Re: British Passport by cvibe: 12:32pm On Feb 23, 2009
Visit the home office website.
Re: British Passport by MrsOyibo(f): 12:46am On Feb 24, 2009
You might not need to do the test again. Check with the Home Office. But hurry on and get your citizenship because they're planning to change the law again before this year runs out. They're thinking of offering introductory citizenship before you can go ahead and become a full citizen. Fee is £655 for single application. £34 for Life in UK test and £40 to get your application checked by Local Authority.
Re: British Passport by Hesperus(m): 12:50am On Feb 24, 2009
love4ucr:

I did the test a couple of years ago, i passed but i was told the law changed that[b] i have to spend 5 years in uk before i can apply for the british passport[/b]
Well it been 5 years now and i am wondering the steps i have to take. will i have to do the test again? how do i go about the whole process & i also heard the fee is now £800? is that true
Thanks

Is this true? And with what status, I mean, dos 5 years as a student qualify you for citizenship or residency?
Re: British Passport by Treetop20(m): 12:52am On Feb 24, 2009
Hesperus:

Is this true? And with what status, I mean, dos 5 years as a student qualify you for citizenship or residency?
NO! only someone who has a permanent stay will
qualify to apply.
Re: British Passport by tope2000(f): 12:54am On Feb 24, 2009
Treetop20:

NO! only someone who has a permanent stay will
qualify to apply.

Very true.

But if u live here legally for 10yrs, u are qualified to apply for your stay. undecided
Re: British Passport by MrCrackles(m): 12:56am On Feb 24, 2009
love4ucr:

I did the test a couple of years ago, i passed but i was told the law changed that i have to spend 5 years in uk before i can apply for the british passport
Thanks

You need to haved stayed in the country for 10years legally (15years illegally)

You shouldnt have spent more than 365days out of the UK during the 10year period!

Also i dont think you get a British passport immediately after the 10years
Re: British Passport by Thadude(m): 1:21pm On Feb 24, 2009
Na wa oh!, Naija passport no reach 50pounds na him person wa use 800 pounds do white man passport. You go count tht money give white man! chei, GOD save our brothers and sister abroad oh! help dem come back to their senses.
Re: British Passport by Nobody: 2:15pm On Feb 24, 2009
How do i buy a british passport and gain my illegal citizenship?
Re: British Passport by Akolawole(m): 3:29pm On Feb 24, 2009
@Poster

Whats your status at the moment?
Re: British Passport by Bossman(m): 10:35pm On Feb 24, 2009
Geez! Things have really changed. Over $1000 for a British passport or is that to apply for citizenship.  And you ought to be living in the UK.  In 1990 I think, I applied for my British passport via the consulate in Houston, TX. from the US. Living in Louisiana then.   No need for an interview. I just sent them the completed application, my original Birth cert, and $40.  No dual citizenship allowed then, so I think they also invalidated my Naija passport.
Re: British Passport by insight04: 6:19pm On Feb 25, 2009
The British/US governement do not have the right to[b] invalidate [/b] your Nigerian passport.
Re: British Passport by chamotex(m): 12:12am On Feb 26, 2009
brein:

How do i buy a british passport and gain my illegal citizenship?

Re: British Passport by Akolawole(m): 12:35am On Feb 26, 2009
@Insight

Thanks jare

How could a foreign government invalidate Naija passport?
Re: British Passport by Bossman(m): 1:22am On Feb 26, 2009
Thay actually held on to the passport. They indicated in a note with my British Passport that they will return it to the Nigereian Embassy or govt. Not sure, I just know they did not return it to me.
Re: British Passport by insight04: 1:31pm On Feb 26, 2009
Bossman:

Thay actually held on to the passport. They indicated in a note with my British Passport that they will return it to the Nigereian Embassy or govt. Not sure, I just know they did not return it to me.

Go and get your Nigerian passport back from the Nigerian Embassy (wherever?),its still valid.
Re: British Passport by Bossman(m): 2:32pm On Feb 26, 2009
Nope! I have got another Naija passport almost immediately which has since expired about 3 years ago. And I did a reissue via the Atlanta Consulate. So, do have a current Naija pali.

(1) (Reply)

Sister Wants Baby's Ssn / Pilot Reveals Reason Why Flight Attendants Dim The Plane's Lights Before Take Of / Why Do Most People Prefer Study Route Than Work route To Travel Out?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.