Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,200 members, 7,839,087 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:34 PM

Based On The Trending Topic On Ng.twitter On The Inferior Quality Of Gold Circle - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Based On The Trending Topic On Ng.twitter On The Inferior Quality Of Gold Circle (827 Views)

Checkout The Trending Pictures Posted By This "Slay Queen" On Facebook / Between Reno Omokri And A Lady On Twitter On Relationship Matters / OAP @Mayourspeaks's Opinion On Rape Sets Twitter On Fire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Based On The Trending Topic On Ng.twitter On The Inferior Quality Of Gold Circle by Duekanem(m): 5:33am On Jun 17, 2015
Condoms have been around for thousands of years – early Egyptians, Greeks and Romans used condoms to prevent pregnancy, using animal intestine or bladder. And modern condoms have been available for more than 100 years. The reasons for their use are well known, yet there is a common phenomenon in which people think that condoms often break and are not reliable. In recent years, condom technology, using modern latex and machinery, has enabled manufacturers to produce condoms of very high quality and minimal breakage, assuming the buyer uses them correctly. Society for Family Health (SFH) has promoted and distributed a condom called Gold Circle for 20 years, comprising 75% of all condom sales in Nigeria. In 2007, SFH conducted a study to assess the extent to which condoms in Nigeria are perceived to break, tear, or otherwise malfunction. A total of eighteen (18) FGDs were conducted among groups across Nigeria.

Gold Circle (GC) condoms have been available since 1986, and are highly subsidized to ensure affordability to the poor and vulnerable. This condom is considered the most popular condom overall because of its widespread availability and lower price. Gold Circle is often thought of as the “beginner/starter condom”, or “emergency condom”. Most respondents believed that Gold Circle condoms are manufactured in Nigeria, and that as such they must be of inferior quality. This ‘locally-made’ perception contributes to the belief that Gold Circle is the “condom for Nigerians”. Contributing to this locally-manufactured perception is that Gold Circle is inexpensive, found everywhere, is the only condom with a NAFDAC registration number on the box, has benefitted from social marketing media advertising, and is associated with the Government. The packaging for Gold Circle is sometimes thought of as ‘old-fashioned’ and ‘uninteresting’, furthering the belief that it is made in Nigeria. The truth is, Gold Circle is made in Malaysia, of very high quality, meeting all international standards, and SFH packs the sealed condoms in locally made boxes, with a locally produced instructions insert, at its warehouse in Lagos.

Studies show that condoms rarely break or malfunction, and that reasons for breakage are due to: youth/user inexperience, overly rough or vigorous sex, alcohol or drug use, or otherwise inappropriate use of the condom. Condoms can also break at times when lubrication is not sufficient, and for this reason, use of a water-based lubricant such as ‘Lubrica’ helps increase pleasure, minimizes discomfort, and makes using a condom easier. Most respondents knew that condoms protect the users from HIV infection as well as other sexually transmitted infections. Others also knew that use of condoms guard against pregnancy. While knowledge is high, actual use of condoms is relatively low (13% rural; 24% urban; NARHS 2007). Respondents who do not use condoms cite the reason as: reduced sexual pleasure, probability of breaking, partner refusal, and religious reasons.

Focus group discussions revealed that a high number of respondents believed that Gold Circle breaks frequently, however, when asked directly if they had actually experienced a breakage themselves, few respondents could attest to this. The vast majority of respondents who claimed that the Gold Circle condom breaks frequently were young, inexperienced users between the ages of 19 – 26, and many said that they had only heard of condoms breaking, but had not actually experienced this themselves. The ‘locally made’ perception adds to beliefs that GC is more susceptible to breakage and leakage than other brands perceived to be of higher quality, having been manufactured elsewhere. The GC condom is produced in Asia, as are most other condoms, but only boxed in Nigeria. Following the airing of an advertisement on Gold Circle explaining that it is certified by NAFDAC, attitudes about Gold Circle changed, as people believed that it had been improved or modified to acquire this certification; however there was no change to the condom itself.

Many people refuse to use condoms on the grounds that they prefer the “skin to skin” experience, and feel that condoms reduce or “hinder” sensation or pleasure. Use of a lubricant in tandem with condoms helps to provide the desired experience, while also being protected from HIV and pregnancy. Users of condoms do so because they are aware of the dangers associated with unprotected sex and choose not to take those risks, and believe that condoms provide a ‘reasonable’ protection against HIV, other STIs, and pregnancy. People are often particular about the condoms they use. The condom brand image is very important, however, brand loyalty is very low. Factors that influence condom choice include: scent, texture, lubrication, and resilience. Market studies are showing a shift among young condom users from the less expensive brands, to more expensive condoms, particularly those brands perceived to be more “prestigious”. Word of mouth information about condoms and specific brands is the common mode of communication that influences condom choice. Other factors that influence choice include the size, shape and attractiveness of the package itself.

Consumer expectations in condoms are increasing - clients want better quality and improved characteristics of the condom. They want condoms that are perceived to be safe, but also prestigious and exciting. In conclusion, the study showed that widespread breakage of condoms is largely a “myth”, or a perception gathered from word of mouth, and not from direct experience of breakage, and that the few cases of breakage reported were from youthful customers with limited experience. Appropriate use, in tandem with use of the lubricant ‘Lubrica’, will bring about more satisfied customers and reduce perceptions that the Gold Circle condom breaks more often than other brands
Re: Based On The Trending Topic On Ng.twitter On The Inferior Quality Of Gold Circle by countsparrow: 5:34am On Jun 17, 2015
shocked
Re: Based On The Trending Topic On Ng.twitter On The Inferior Quality Of Gold Circle by Nobody: 5:53am On Jun 17, 2015
Ah!

Too long! angry
Re: Based On The Trending Topic On Ng.twitter On The Inferior Quality Of Gold Circle by rerhji(m): 6:28am On Jun 17, 2015
can someone describe d so called condom , is it a balloon
Re: Based On The Trending Topic On Ng.twitter On The Inferior Quality Of Gold Circle by Nobody: 8:00am On Jun 17, 2015
The price alone has a million stories to tell. Gold Circle isn't worth it.

The only time I experienced the breakage of a GC condom was back in high school when I had an outdoor sex with a senior female student.

I was still a rookie and I doubt if my mild thrusting could have broken the latex condom. That incident created an awful impression about GC to me and I vowed never to use the crap again.

By far the most advanced condom material is a medical polyurethane called Microsheer, which is thinner and stronger than latex.

You can get that quality in a durex condom, that has been my brand for ages now.

The awful thing about a Gold Circle latex condom isn't just about the breakage, but it has a peculiar smell and tends to leave rashes on the woman who was thrusted.

I doubt if quality can be bought at N50 cheesy

1 Like

Re: Based On The Trending Topic On Ng.twitter On The Inferior Quality Of Gold Circle by Nobody: 8:17am On Jun 17, 2015
AirborneLacer:
The price alone has a million stories to tell. Gold Circle isn't worth it.

The only time I experienced the breakage of a GC condom was back in high school when I had an outdoor sex with a senior female student.

I was still a rookie and I doubt if my mild thrusting could have broken the latex condom. That incident created an awful impression about GC to me and I vowed never to use the crap again.

By far the most advanced condom material is a medical polyurethane called Microsheer, which is thinner and stronger than latex.

You can get that quality in a durex condom, that has been my brand for ages now.

The awful thing about a Gold Circle latex condom isn't just about the breakage, but it has a peculiar smell and tends to leave rashes on the woman who was thrusted.

I doubt if quality can be bought at N50 cheesy

Durex all the way bro,no breakages even when im on turbo knacking..tested and trusted

(1) (Reply)

Photo: Women And Flashy Cars / Help Please: His Wife Password Her Phone N Never Allows Him To Use It, After... / How To Maintain Your Pink/reddish Lips(continuation)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.