Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,821,992 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:08 AM

Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites (35468 Views)

Fashola: How We Added 400MW To Power Nat Grid Despite Sabotage / Nationwide Darkness Looms As Electricity Supply Drops To 1,400MW / FG To Build 2,400MW Nuclear Plants In Kogi, A' Ibom States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by Nobody: 11:49am On Jun 17, 2015
[s]
chinae:

it's gud to note that GEJ is the initiator of this program.
[/s]

Do you mean in 2016?
Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by Nobody: 11:49am On Jun 17, 2015
GodMode:

There's also solar, wind, waste, glass e.t.c that can generate thousands of megawatts before 2035 gringringrin

Hope they're paying you well Oooo.

Solar....good...but not effective (You lose 80% of power generated....plus you have to build a large Solar farm to generate light for a town. And it is expensive (1.6million naira to power a one room apartment).

Wind...you need a very windy spot...eg mountains, and out into the sea. And it costs money too.

Waste....when your governors do not have daily waste collection? Or you want govt to organise waste collection for every city and village in Nigeria? (You get money so?).
Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by Nobody: 11:53am On Jun 17, 2015
As the Holy Bible says "Seek ye the kingdom of God first, other things shall follow" cool

I Josh say, ban the importation of Generators first, then all hands would be on deck against all forms of Electricity sabotage.... tongue

Period!!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by pure2012soul(m): 11:55am On Jun 17, 2015
grin
princetigris:
Incase it hits FP #ChangenotMiracle
Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by GodMode: 11:57am On Jun 17, 2015
bushdoc9919:

Solar....good...but not effective (You lose 80% of power generated....plus you have to build a large Solar farm to generate light for a town. And it is expensive (1.6million naira to power a one room apartment).

Wind...you need a very windy spot...eg mountains, and out into the sea. And it costs money too.

Waste....when your governors do not have daily waste collection? Or you want govt to organise waste collection for every city and village in Nigeria? (You get money so?).

Solar is not expensive...blame it on exploitation and ignorance..

Akon's project is based on Solar...

Yes there is money in Nigeriagringringrin

Paid e-rats everywhere on Nairalandgringringrin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by elohorayodele: 11:59am On Jun 17, 2015
Okijajuju1:

Once people hear Nuclear Power, they scream Chernobyl or Fukushima.. Forgetting that the causes of both are not grounds enough for us not to have either as the both causes are controllable factors.

If Nigeria continues solely on this path of Gas and Hydro turbines, then the Power crisis may carry on even to 2050.

We cant secure/properly maintain ordinary oil and gas pipeline, how are we going to secure nuclear sites

toxic waste from the oil industry is been dumped callously, ordinary gas flaring we cannot stop, where will the nuclear waste be disposed?

Will a correct/truthful EIA be conducted?

Is living in darkness not better than what happened in chernobyl?

is nuclear power the only other alternative to generating power?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by Nobody: 12:02pm On Jun 17, 2015
GodMode:

Solar is not expensive...blame it on exploitation and ignorance..

Akon's project is based on Solar...

Yes there is money in Nigeriagringringrin

Paid e-rats everywhere on Nairalandgringringrin

I think the Solar power project,(have peeped at the site....http://akonlightingafrica.com/our-activities/overview/) would just provide light for some bulbs, and maybe the television.

For powering things like the fridge and other big electrical items.....you may need more than that.

And it was 240million for 20000 households. May cost more to do it in Nigeria.
Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by IBBG(m): 12:03pm On Jun 17, 2015
BuddahMonk:
I hope Geregu is not close to Igboland because we will not allow that to happen in Akwa Ibom State also.

When the want to site WMD they will locate close to Igboland.

Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by Nobody: 12:05pm On Jun 17, 2015
mathskill:

Go read the report on Chernobyl. Yes human error played a part but if the safe guard measures used in western designed and built nuclear plants were employed in the chernobyl plant it wouldnt have failed.

And you think there are no safeguards now....especially as any new plant would be subject to IAEA investigation?

Lessons have been learnt from Chernobyl.
Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by chinae(m): 12:05pm On Jun 17, 2015
Keneking:
[s][/s]

Do you mean in 2016?

Do your research though am no ones fan, just that i have read about this 2 nuclear plant since last year, the location of the plants is what sounds new in-here.
Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by free13: 12:06pm On Jun 17, 2015
Hmm....
Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by miquelon(m): 12:08pm On Jun 17, 2015
elohorayodele:

We cant secure ordinary/ properly maintain pipeline, how are we going to secure nuclear sites

toxic waste from the oil industry is been dumped callously, ordinary gas flaring we cannot stop, where will the nuclear waste be disposed?

Will a correct/truthful EIA be conducted?

Is living in darkness not better than what happened in chernobyl?

is nuclear power to only other alternative to generating power?

These were my exact concerns. We need to educate on the risks and rewards,before even thinking about breaking ground.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by bisten14: 12:09pm On Jun 17, 2015
vanunu:
Buhari should stop this ruffplay, when other countries ara moving away from nuclear power, he wants to build one. He should site it in daura.

If he site it for Daura u guys go say he has stated d agenda.
TANoids and their mentality.
Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by harveyspec: 12:09pm On Jun 17, 2015
bushdoc9919:

Nuclear power plants do not just ''blow up'' like that.

And if you are thinking of Chernobyl....that was human error

Pls what do you mean human error?

Is Nigeria immune a from such?

Look at the last flood catastrophe, how did we handle it?

The various bombing that has taken place, how was it handled? See corpses being carried in wheelbarrow & ambulance being used to carry more than one patient

nuclear plant is good, the question is can we maintain it, in the event of an emergency can we handle it? We both know that the answer is NO

Even if we want the Russians to build & operate it forever, you & I know that when there is an emergency, our corrupt leaders will take a bribe & look the other way

What was the outcome of the botched immigration recruitment?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by princejayboss: 12:11pm On Jun 17, 2015
Keneking:
Great

- 2016 is too far for licensing
- what is the role of Nigerian engineers and scientists
- I believe in this project because its coming from Buhari
- Since it's coming from Russia, I support the big dream
- Meanwhile can generators be banned undecided

Sai Buhari

Not from buhari.... Check me up you will see when GEJ advocated for this.... I know silly Nigerians will give buhari credit for GEJ works....
Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by ApexTitan(m): 12:12pm On Jun 17, 2015
gbl01:

My brother, its wise to understand people before you talk rather than pouring out insult. I sure won't speak to you in same Manner because you sound childish.

One quick point against urs. Ajaokuta steel company was built and managed by Russia, it was booming, employed over 150,000 people. Today, its managed by Indians, its completely dead and the workforce is less than 3000. They're struggling to resuscitate it nevertheless, but the rot is massive.

So when the Nuclear plants are transferred to Nigerians, 30years after what will happen? Think about the future before you defend the indefensible.

Where do you people pull out these figures from? Lalaland? Ajeokuta steel plant employed over 150,000 people? Na wa.
Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by GodMode: 12:15pm On Jun 17, 2015
bushdoc9919:

I think the Solar power project,(have peeped at the site....http://akonlightingafrica.com/our-activities/overview/) would just provide light for some bulbs, and maybe the television.

For powering things like the fridge and other big electrical items.....you may need more than that.

And it was 240million for 20000 households. May cost more to do it in Nigeria.

Akon's resources will be limited

But Imagine over $20B spent on just solar consistently...

Or $5B on solar, $5B on waste, $5B on dams, $5B on glass...

All renewable energy no harm to anyone.. No possibility of a nuclear disaster..

Imagine if u had solar panels instead of generators that last for limited time and pollute the air.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by kraftykc(m): 12:16pm On Jun 17, 2015
ECOTERRORS:
He should build it in the DAURA for crying out loud

Except you can have an alternate timeline I believe GEJ was in charge in APRIL... please accord the blame accordingly.
Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by miquelon(m): 12:16pm On Jun 17, 2015
Seems FG has been listening to you 1miccza
Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by Nobody: 12:16pm On Jun 17, 2015
ApexTitan:

Where do you people pull out these figures from? Lalaland? Ajeokuta steel plant employed over 150,000 people? Na wa.

Ignorance is bliss but before u accuse, ask questions.

How many companies were part of the Ajaokuta steel company?. How many employees do they have? Calculate the contractors and all their employees. FYI they worked for Ajaokuta steel indirectly.
Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by umar4info(m): 12:18pm On Jun 17, 2015
hypertension:
buhari is a thief
osibanjo is handicapp
saraki is a known criminal
ike ekweremadu is a known pdp member

ben bruce is now dumb..
this apc/pdp bigots would want to fight for their party..yet..they are all united against the national cake..
biafran dog
Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by princejayboss: 12:18pm On Jun 17, 2015
homerac7:
Aaaargh! Too much ignorance here !

Read again, it is a BOOT arrangement, meaning it will be built , owned, operated by the Russians before being transferred to Nigeria after a stipulated period.

Scientists don't maintain plants, technicians[b][/b] do.

1. I'm not sure of average rate at the moment, but nuclear plants are the costliest to set up among the popular energy plants. They don't come cheap. Consolation is that they produce the cheapest electricity of the lot.

2. Japan is shutting down because of its environmental risk profile I.e it is in an earthquake prone region, while Nigeria has a better environmental risk profile in that respect.

Other nations shutting down have better energy mix and older nuclear reactors/plants. Ours is new and based on newer and safer technology too.

It would have been a good thing for people of Daura, but nuclear plants are sited near large fresh water source for (tertiary) cooling of reactors. So that's why it is in Kogi (rivers Niger and Benue) and Akwa Ibom (Qua Oboe river).

No he will carry on with the national policy on energy mix and nuclear power generation. It is part of our national development programmes.

No sir. It is a national policy inducted under late president UMYA

Geregu is in Kogi state in Ebira (?) land. Calm down, it is a national asset. Stop reasoning like boko haram.

Read it again and see IAEA being involved. Building nuclear plants is not like buying Tiger or Elepaq generators. There are stringent statutory requirements and operational procedures to meet.

Hydro dams have their strong points, but they are not exactly environmental friendly and are highly susceptible to hydrological cycle and plenty of community related issues both upstream and downstream. Moreover, you need energy mix to improve your general reliability.

I pray and hope (and would lobby if I'm in such prime position)that one of the next sets planned will be sited between Imo river and Anambra river courses. You don't know what you are wishing away. Pls aclm down and atop reasoning like Boko Haram.

Many things go under project capital cost sir. You can't be sure until you see the breakdown. Most times, associated infrastructure, consultancy/supervision, and logistics make such costs swell especially in low developed environment like ours.

It is natural reaction to "hate" new ideas. Please calm down and adapt to change sir. Lol

Comparing Nigeria energy policy to Germany's is like comparing a poor man that has family of 12 and earning #18k minimum wage with Osun State ( :p ) and idle house wife to a senior manager in Schlumberger with a senior bank manager wife and two kids on choices of food: one has better options than the other.

I like to know you friend .... Am pleased to find few brains like you

3 Likes

Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by homerac7: 12:18pm On Jun 17, 2015
MINISTER2000:
I'm not disposed to hydro power only, that is I hv been saying other sources. Germany is tapping frm solar n others r tapping frm wind. why can't we consider other options; must we mortgage our lives for disaster waiiting to happen.

Oga, cost of set-up per MW is cheaper with nuclear compared to solar. Solar is very costly and has limitations due to constrain of sun-hours. You must have backup system which is highly inefficient and vastly costly too; be it mechanical storage system or chemical (battery). Those countries you are mentioning (UK & Germany) are the richest in Europe, so stop comparing their choices with Nigeria's.

Same with wind farms. They are capital intensive. Do you know how tall is a typical 10MW single unit of wind tower/turbine is? It is between 80 and 120m tall, that's like 40stories building with its base usually of about 40feet across! Germany and UK are installing hundreds of those silent giants on floating platforms anchored to seabeds on their coastlines offshore. That's a multi-billion dollar project , yet only a rich country can at yet afford such "luxury".

Nigeria and every other third world country have no business with solar and wind mega projects, its not best use of our lean and scarce resources when we have alternatives of thermal, hydro and nuclear.

harveyspec:

Mr knowledge!! what happens if the "stipulated period" elapses, can Nigeria still maintain it?
Before you answer, remember our refineries were BOOT too
Mr knowledge, you would have replaced the scientist with technicians besides there is no way a nuclear power station will run without a scientist in its employs
Why spend that much to build something that carries much risk, it's not as though its establishment is a complete solution to our power problems
We haven't been able to maintain our roads, our gas plants, our power plants, our refineries, even traffic light or street light yet we want to go nuclear
with our penchant for cutting corners, how do you think the nuclear waster will be disposed?
we have abundant gas reserve, why not focus on Gas plant construction/power station
Can't more hydro stations be built

What happens with T in the BOOT is not my decision. It is a public project which is normally influenced by lot of unmeasurable factors.

Your refinery is not on same risk level with a nuclear plant, so what influences decision with one night not be same with other. I expect you to remind me again if Nigeria fell to Ebola virus when it got into the country.

Nuclear waste for every nuclear plant in the world is under direct supervision of IAEA. So calm down and tame your ignorance. I'm sure you don't know that oil companies here in Nigeria have been using nuclear materials for their operation since forever, yet I'm yet to hear of any disaster so far.

Technicians maintain power plants. I'm sure the nomenclature "technician" is hurting your ego somewhere. Note that what you call a technical is sometimes a PhD holder in quantum physics or engineering. It is simply the role he/she plays in the setup that matters. Plants runs with complement of several professional skills including accountants, tradesmen, technicians, scientists, administrators and lot more.

We are building more gas plants, but we can't lay enough gas gathering facilities as required for constraint of fund and time. Also is the risk factor of sabotage of these facilities. But nuclear plant does away with need for such expensive and extensive feed stock facilities.

Mind you, nuclear power is green energy. While gas is nonrenewable.
Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by MINISTER2000: 12:19pm On Jun 17, 2015
homerac7:

No river in West Africa can give you such hydro capacity sir! Closest you can get is the Grand Inga dam project on the Congo in Congo DR.

You can chose to build 100,000MW nuclear power plant is anywhere in Nigeria (in you can raise the fund required), but you can't build any MW above what the river sources around you can provide for hydro power. Even having the water flow does not mean the topology will give you favourable location.

So China building 3 Gorges dam on the Yanges does not mean Nigeria, or West Africa has a "Yanges" to build her own.
Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by juman(m): 12:22pm On Jun 17, 2015
Jorussia:
Igali should just go and sit down jare,$20b for less than 5000mw of electricity?I know that when pmb settles down in office, this will be one of the power projects that will be scrapped.

You are right. That is too expensive. Very expensive.

Government should be realistic and go for electricity generation from coal.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by Bome01(m): 12:23pm On Jun 17, 2015
4800mw by 2035?! U gotta be kidding me. God give me my own money make I install my own power supply either by wind or solar. The government has been taking us for granted since 1960.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by ApexTitan(m): 12:24pm On Jun 17, 2015
gbl01:

Ignorance is bliss but before u accuse, ask questions.

How many companies were part of the Ajaokuta steel company?. How many employees do they have? Calculate the contractors and all their employees. FYI they worked for Ajaokuta steel indirectly.

Kindly show how you arrived at a workforce of "over 150,000". So you mean that the steel plant had more staff than say the Nigerian Army? Substantiate your claim by citing some kind of evidence. I know you just made that up so we'll let that slip for now lest we derail this thread with this side issue. Just don't do it again.
Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by Calebosko(m): 12:25pm On Jun 17, 2015
tempest01:
Why akwaibom? Them wan come kill us?
wey are u in akwaibom
Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by ApexTitan(m): 12:34pm On Jun 17, 2015
@homerac7 are there any nuclear power plants in Africa? Just curious to know how the rest of the continent is meeting it's power needs.
Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by homerac7: 12:38pm On Jun 17, 2015
ApexTitan:
@homerac7 are there any nuclear power plants in Africa? Just curious to know how the rest of the continent is meeting it's power needs.

Yes sir! South Africa has nuclear plants. Congo DR has an old nuclear plant which I'm not sure of the state. I'm not sure about Egypt, but I will go through my library and confirm to you later. As matter of dact, Nigeria Energy Commission has a research nuclear power plant in Kaduna (?) which has been working for years.
Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by homerac7: 12:41pm On Jun 17, 2015
ApexTitan:

Yes sir! South Africa has nuclear plants. Congo DR has an old nuclear plant which I'm not sure of the state. I'm not sure about Egypt, but I will go through my library and confirm to you later. As matter of dact, Nigeria Energy Commission has a research nuclear power plant in Kaduna (?) which has been working for years.
princejayboss:

I like to know you friend .... Am pleased to find few brains like you

Oh! I'm pleased my posts was found so appealing sir.

Regards.

2 Likes

Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by princejayboss: 12:42pm On Jun 17, 2015
This is a welcome development for Nigeria though no credits to PMB cause he knows nothing about this project as I have followed for a while now but one fear I have Is the radical nature of or brothers in the north?

A short break down on how the facility sets up below:

Power is measured in watts or kilowatts (1,000 watts) or megawatts (one million watts. An electric generator is rated in watts. A large nuclear power plant has a power of 1,000 megawatts (or one gigawatt). If a one kilowatt generator runs for an hour, it produces a kilowatt-hour of electric energy.

The amount of energy handled by humanity is still small compared to the amount of energy in the sunlight that strikes the earth. It's about one part in 50,000.

Energy is conserved. It can be transformed among various forms, (e.g. mechanical, electrical, chemical, heat) but the total remains the same. In each transformation, some of the energy becomes unusable, usually in the form of heat.

All matter is composed of elements. The important elements for our discussion of nuclear energy are uranium, plutonium, carbon and hydrogen. Uranium and plutonium are involved in nuclear energy production, and carbon and hydrogen are the main elements in conventional fuels like coal, oil and natural gas.

An atom of an element consists of a nucleus surrounded by electrons. What element it is is determined by the number of protons in the nucleus, but the elements come in various isotopes, and the isotope is defined by the number of neutrons in the nucleus.

Matter takes part in two kinds of reactions involving atoms of different kinds - chemical reactions and nuclear reactions. Chemical reactions are common and re-arrange how the atoms are combined into molecules but never change what element an atom is - or even what isotope it is. The reactions involved in the production and use of non-nuclear fuels are all chemical reactions.
Nuclear reactions can change what element an atom is, occur on earth only under special conditions and involve something like ten million times the energy. Thus enormously more energy can be obtained from suitable nuclear reactions than from chemical reactions.

Uranium has 92 protons. Two isotopes are important. U-235 has an atomic mass of 235 and U-238 has an atomic mass of 238. Natural uranium as it comes from mines contains 140 times as much U-238 as U-235. Because the 235 is the total of protons and neutrons U-235 has 235 - 92 = 143 neutrons.

Plutonium has 94 protons. Its important isotopes are Pu-239, which is used in power plants and bombs, and Pu-240 which is ok in power plants but which is a nuisance for those making bombs out of plutonium. There is also Pu-238 which is not fissionable but emits alpha particles and thereby generates heat. The amount of heat produced is convenient for powering spacecraft systems. There is very little natural plutonium.

When an atom of U-238 absorbs a neutron in a nuclear reactor, it becomes U-239, which decays in a short time to Pu-239. If a Pu-239 atom stays in the reactor long enough, it absorbs another neutron and becomes an atom of Pu-240 if it doesn't fission.

When an atom of U-235 or plutonium absorbs a neutron it almost always fissions. Namely, it splits into two atoms of lighter elements and emits neutrons - on the average a bit more than two. The emitted neutrons can cause further fissions in a chain reaction. In a bomb the chain reaction is very fast; in a power reactor it is slow. The two fragments are emitted at high velocity, and when they are absorbed in the fuel rod a lot of heat is produced. This heat is what powers the nuclear power plant.

Separating the isotopes of elements is very expensive. There are big plants for separating U-235 from the U-238 in natural uranium. For nuclear reactors, it is economical to use uranium that has been enriched to contain 4 to 5 percent U-235 instead of the 0.7 percent U-235 of natural uranium. Bombs need over 90 percent U-235.

Separating Pu from U is not very expensive, and bombs are mostly made of Pu made from U in special reactors in which the Pu-239 is promptly removed. In ordinary power reactors, the Pu-239 gets contaminated with Pu-240. Separating Pu-240 from Pu-239 is very expensive.

Here are some facts about nuclear power plants.

Present nuclear power plants consume uranium (specifically U-235) as fuel. When the power plant is loaded with fuel, it can run for 18 months or 2 years before it has to be refuelled, a process that takes a month or two. As the power plant operators have become more experienced, they have learned to operate longer between refuellings and take a shorter time for refuelling.

When an atom of U-235 absorbs a neutron it fissions, i.e. it breaks up in parts. These parts consist mainly of two atoms of smaller elements and some neutrons.

When a reactor is operating, fission of an atom of U-235 generates on the average a bit more than two neutrons.

If each of two neutrons produced by a fission was absorbed by an atom of U-235 the number of fissions would double in a fraction of second and then double again and again. If this were allowed to continue, in a few seconds the reactor would be generating enough power to melt.

When the reactor is turned on, the multiplication of fissions is allowed to continue until the reactor is generating power at the desired rate. Then control rods that absorb neutrons are inserted until exactly one neutron from each fission causes another fission.

Because some of the neutrons caused by a fission are emitted from the fission products only after a delay of a minute or so, it is not difficult to control the power level of the reactor. Nevertheless, there are safety systems that will shut down the reactor if the power level gets too high or if the cooling water stops flowing.

The power to produce electricity comes from the fact that the two atoms produced by the fission of a U-235 atom fly off at high speed, but they don't get even an inch before they hit something and are stopped. Stopping converts their energy of motion into heat, and the reactor heats up. If the heat weren't taken away, the reactor would melt.

The heat from fission is taken up by water or steam pumped through the reactor. The hot steam goes through turbines connected to electric generators.

About 2/3 of the heat energy is lost, and is emitted to the atmosphere or to a body of water, a river or the ocean. This loss is a consequence of the Second Law of Thermodynamics and applies to all power plants, nuclear or coal-burning.

If the highest temperature in the steam plant is T1 and the temperature at which heat is exhausted to the environment is T2, the fraction of the heat generated that can be turned into electricity is (T1 - T2)/T1. The fraction of the heat energy transformed into electric energy is called the efficiency of the power plant. For high efficiency T1 should be as high as possible and T2 as low as possible. How high T1 can be is determined by how high a temperature the materials of the reactor can be without softening. How low T2 can be is limited by the environment. Cold seawater gives a good T2.

After 18 months or two years, most of the U-235 in the fuel is used up, and the fuel rods consist mainly of the products of fission, which remain radioactive and continue to generate heat. The fuel rods are placed in large pools of water which takes the remaining heat. The fuel rods become less and less radioactive with time.

After the rods have cooled off for a while, they should be chemically reprocessed to extract left over uranium and some plutonium that has been produced. The left-over uranium and the plutonium can then be converted to more reactor fuel. The fission products can then be buried in stable rock formations

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

TA Orji's Son, Chinedum Loses Reps Seat To LP's Aguocha / Gunmen & Soldiers In All-Night Shootout In Onitsha / I Trust Buhari But Doubt His Environment - Tunde Bakare

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.