Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,989 members, 7,821,438 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:57 PM

Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites (35465 Views)

Fashola: How We Added 400MW To Power Nat Grid Despite Sabotage / Nationwide Darkness Looms As Electricity Supply Drops To 1,400MW / FG To Build 2,400MW Nuclear Plants In Kogi, A' Ibom States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by Duru1(m): 6:06pm On Jun 17, 2015
gaussy:

The Federal Government through the Nigeria Atomic Energy Commission (NAEC) has selected Geregu in Kogi State and Itu in Akwa Ibom State as the sites for building two nuclear power plants in Nigeria that could generate up to 2,400 megawatts (mw) at both sites.

In a presentation yesterday at the plenary of the Phase 2 Integrated Nuclear Infrastructure Review (INIR) mission in Abuja, NAEC Chairman, Mr. Erepamo Osaisai, said part of its progress is the concluded preliminary site selection activities and “detailed evaluation and characterization to be conducted on preferred sites on the approval of government in Geregu, Ajaokuta Local Government Area of kogi State and Itu in Itu LGA of Akwa Ibom State.”

Daily Trust had reported in April that NAEC was holding talks with Russia’s Rosatom Corporation to build four nuclear power plants costing about $20 billion (about N3.9 trillion) which would generate 4,800 megawatts (mw).

Erepamo said the plants will be co-financed by Rosatom, which will then build, own, operate and transfer (BOOT) them to the government. He noted that the preliminary licensing of the approved sites is expected by the end of 2016 from the Nigerian Nuclear Regulatory Authority (NNRA) which is currently developing the licences’ procedures.

The commission said training and capacity building for building and operating the plants are ongoing while it has developed a framework to establish a ‘National Nuclear Insurance Policy and Scheme’ to “adequately address the civil liability of component for the Nuclear Power industry in conformity with the 1963 Vienna Convention on Civil Liability for Nuclear Damage.”

The Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Power, Dr. Godknows Igali, said government’s intervention in the power sector includes the diversification of the electricity sources from the present 80 percent gas and 20 percent hydro to integrate nuclear power to meet its target of generating 20,000 megawatts (mw) by year 2020.

“With NAEC’s plan to inject 1,200mw from first nuclear power plant in 2025 and increase to 4,800mw in 2035, the energy mix is expected to have increased to about 20 percent power generation from clean sources,” Igali said.

Meanwhile, the Deputy Director General, International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), Dr Mikhail Chudakov, who led the agency’s delegation on a two-week trip to Nigeria, said Nigeria should be prepared to take adequate responsibility for the safety culture and for safe operation of a nuclear power in the country.

http://dailytrust.com.ng/daily/index.php/business/57411-fg-picks-geregu-itu-as-2-400mw-nuclear-power-sites

The above proposal, if slightly true, must be opposed by any reasonable Nigerian. Nigeria is a country that cannot handle the development of primary schools yet negotiating to build nuclear plants in the country. Nigeria does not need any nuclear-related device talk less of nuclear power plant. If Nigeria does not need an accelerated disintegration of the jungle called country, I beg the shakers and movers in Nigeria to put a stop to the madness. Why would so-called Nigerian leaders surround Igbo land with nuclear plant? This lunatic proposal can never be allowed to see daylight. At this stage of Nigeria’s development or lack thereof, it needs hydropower station and supplemented with solar.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by homerac7: 6:08pm On Jun 17, 2015
harveyspec:

apart from the bolded, the tone of your post is aggressive & also insulting

it's more of "listen, let me lecture you"

funnily,yours is almost like the man who is unaware that his son is in jail abroad but boosting that his son is a honest & uptight man, meanwhile his audience is aware of the truth

You are the man

Your son is Nigeria

You are funny. I will never let this degenerate beyond this point. Believe whatever you want to.

I'm out. Ciai!
Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by NoMoreTrolling: 6:11pm On Jun 17, 2015
bushdoc9919:

Coal is the reason why many Chinese cities do not have clear skies.....and are perpetually covered in smog.

So, thanks, but no thanks.

Really dude?

Look at the chart for USA below, what do you see

[img]http://www.e-education.psu.edu/drupal6/files/ebf200/electricity%20by%20source.png[/img]

Don't let people keep deceiving you.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by Freiburger(m): 6:12pm On Jun 17, 2015
Okijajuju1:

Once people hear Nuclear Power, they scream Chernobyl or Fukushima.. Forgetting that the causes of both are not grounds enough for us not to have either as the both causes are controllable factors.

If Nigeria continues solely on this path of Gas and Hydro turbines, then the Power crisis may carry on even to 2050.

No mind them Jare, a world power like France, still derives about 75% of its electricity from nuclear energy.
Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by Nobody: 6:14pm On Jun 17, 2015
tempest01:
Why akwaibom? Them wan come kill us?
LOL!!I tire oh
Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by major466(m): 6:24pm On Jun 17, 2015
yemi15:

I am on board with coal power plants, India is a good model for coal power plants. Nigeria has a large deposit of coal which should be utilized to bring electricity to Nigerians. Besides, it is way cheaper than nuclear power but unfortunately, not environmentally friendly (better in terms of industrial accident consequences than nuclear power in my opinion).

Added advantage is there is no pipeline vandalism - the main problem with gas power plants (a possible solution could be liquefied natural gas instead which can then be transported in rail tracks to the power plants), railway tracks can be routed from the mines to the power plants. Nice idea, the government should be looking into instead of a potentially unsafe and hazardous nuclear power.
Exactly. With coal, generating 10,000MW of electricity can be achieved within a short peroid of time, maybe 10 years or less.
The risk associated with coal are much much less compared with Nuclear Energy. Some will argue that Nuclear power generates clean energy compared to coal. Yes its true, interms of green house emissions nuclear power standsout. However the waste produced by Nuclear energy sources are non biogradable and highly catastrophic compared to coal energy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by carnegiefan: 6:39pm On Jun 17, 2015
Nigeria, an inherently fraudulent and evil country HELL BENT to destroy Igboland.

WHY NOT SITE THIS IN SOKOTO, KANO, KADUNA, or BORNO?

WHY NOT LAGOS, IBADAN, KWARA, OGUN, or ONDO?

I bet you that if this were a finance or oil company, a seaport or a quality international airport or major electric rail line, you will see them IMMEDIATELY in those cities I mentioned above.

If anything happens in either of these two chosen sites, Igboland is toast!

Evil nation. But we shall see.

2 Likes

Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by IGBOSON2: 7:10pm On Jun 17, 2015
ogene007:

Why not site all the nuclear plants in the north, one in daura especially, just thinking.

^^^I'm guessing the northern oligarchs want to chill in their country villas in peace, without having to worry about nuclear meltdowns and all what not......who wan die!?

Locate it far away in the 'nyamiri zone' and you could possibly kill two birds with one stone......getting rid of the 'pesky locals' in the process!wink
Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by IGBOSON2: 7:12pm On Jun 17, 2015
carnegiefan:
Nigeria, an inherently fraudulent and evil country HELL BENT to destroy Igboland.

WHY NOT SITE THIS IN SOKOTO, KANO, KADUNA, or BORNO?

WHY NOT LAGOS, IBADAN, KWARA, OGUN, or ONDO?

I bet you that if this were a finance or oil company, a seaport or a quality international airport or major electric rail line, you will see them IMMEDIATELY in those cities I mentioned above.

If anything happens in either of these two chosen sites, Igboland is toast!

Evil nation. But we shall see.

^^^Hehehehe grin grin grin
Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by 1miccza: 7:52pm On Jun 17, 2015
miquelon:
Seems FG has been listening to you 1miccza

Seriously i was amazed too,it only means we are being followed too
Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by BraniacX(m): 8:56pm On Jun 17, 2015
Keneking:
Great

- 2016 is too far for licensing
- what is the role of Nigerian engineers and scientists
- I believe in this project because its coming from Buhari
- Since it's coming from Russia, I support the big dream
- Meanwhile can generators be banned undecided

Sai Buhari

Idiota!!!

This is phase 2, phase 1 occurred before may 29, meaning the credit for the conception of this idea goes to GEJ or it would be an anglo-american consortium bidding for it if it was the Daura President in charge @ the beginning.

1 Like

Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by tempest01(m): 10:09pm On Jun 17, 2015
Calebosko:
wey are u in akwaibom

EKID
Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by cjrane: 10:23pm On Jun 17, 2015
Fukushima daiichi nuclear disaster loading in Kogi state..........

My hand no dey!
Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by Nobody: 10:25pm On Jun 17, 2015
cjrane:
Fukushima daiichi nuclear disaster loading in Kogi state..........

My hand no dey!
Is it a must to comment?
Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by Infoay: 11:13pm On Jun 17, 2015
gaussy:

http://dailytrust.com.ng/daily/index.php/business/57411-fg-picks-geregu-itu-as-2-400mw-nuclear-power-sites
Hope the government is also ready to fight the dangers of nuclear power plant? Hmmm...
What of alternatives like Fuel cell, solar(esp in the north), Biomas, etc
Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by normaljenny(m): 12:09am On Jun 18, 2015
GogetterMD:
Issues
1- is it just a Nigerian situation or why are all contracts in Nigeria overly inflated? $20billion USD for just 4800 MW of electricity?
2- I am afraid for Maintenance culture here. Nigerians can know how to vandalize and steal anything, electricity cables, transformer parts, blow up gas pipelines etc. Their ignorance won't make them realise the importance of staying away from a nuclear power plant. Even Japan is shutting down all her nuclear reactors after the calamity that came last decade

I agree with you. $20b for just 4800mw is just a clear rip off. World over 1000mw in all types of power generations cost $1b or less to generate.

Why is our different sef

Too early for such ripping
Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by Gmike2rule(m): 12:20am On Jun 18, 2015
I die oooo... I think it's hightime i relocated to gabon... :oI die oooo... I think it's hightime i relocated to gabon...
Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by Tacloban: 12:39am On Jun 18, 2015
We don dey seem like say we too happy so the government start making plans for a national disaster will an ill-equiped federal and state emergency agencies.

12 years from now Logo will be a no life zone.
Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by Peaceworld(m): 4:11am On Jun 18, 2015
This is very bad. Nigeria shouldn't even consider this project anymore. Nuclear disasters will ruin this country. How can we even manage? Nuclear plants for a paltry 4000MW? Hmmm...I just hope Buhari will scrap this nonsense. We're better off without nuclear power believe me...
Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by lexy2014: 6:15am On Jun 18, 2015
gbl01:
Nigeria is known for lack of maintenance strategy, how will they maintain this facility? Considering the risk posed by it to the society
my brother d thing tire me
Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by lexy2014: 6:23am On Jun 18, 2015
Keneking:
Great

- 2016 is too far for licensing
- what is the role of Nigerian engineers and scientists
- I believe in this project because its coming from Buhari
- Since it's coming from Russia, I support the big dream
- Meanwhile can generators be banned undecided

Sai Buhari
will russia come and maintain d power plants? Its just misplaced priority. In a society like ours were we don't have maintenance culture or good emergency protocols, this is only a recipe 4 disaster. Gas is being flared on a daily basis. D budget 4 this project would aChieve more in that direction
Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by Calebosko(m): 7:26am On Jun 18, 2015
tempest01:

EKID
ok,am in afahansit
Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by miquelon(m): 9:01am On Jun 18, 2015
1miccza:

Seriously i was amazed too,it only means we are being followed too

Yes it seems so. I just hope there is due diligence on the project. No short cuts
Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by free13: 10:13am On Jun 18, 2015
yemi15:

Good, I thought I was the only one. The going rate for a 1,000MW electricity is $1billion and could be less. The most for that same amount should be $1.2billion. How come $4billion per 1000MW electricity construction costs?

yemi15:

I am on board with coal power plants, India is a good model for coal power plants. Nigeria has a large deposit of coal which should be utilized to bring electricity to Nigerians. Besides, it is way cheaper than nuclear power but unfortunately, not environmentally friendly (better in terms of industrial accident consequences than nuclear power in my opinion).
Added advantage is there is no pipeline vandalism - the main problem with gas power plants (a possible solution could be liquefied natural gas instead which can then be transported in rail tracks to the power plants), railway tracks can be routed from the mines to the power plants. Nice idea, the government should be looking into instead of a potentially unsafe and hazardous nuclear power.

major466:

Exactly. With coal, generating 10,000MW of electricity can be achieved within a short peroid of time, maybe 10 years or less.
The risk associated with coal are much much less compared with Nuclear Energy. Some will argue that Nuclear power generates clean energy compared to coal. Yes its true, interms of green house emissions nuclear power standsout. However the waste produced by Nuclear energy sources are non biogradable and highly catastrophic compared to coal energy.
Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by Eggheaded(m): 10:19am On Jun 18, 2015
It is expensive because nuclear power is huge and radioactive.
I will consider Germany to build solar power for us as it is generating most of its electrcity from it and it is user and environmental friendly as well as wind power unlike nuclear power.
Thermal and nuclear energy also cause air pollution.
Water enery also contribute to fisg migration and always require large area of land.

So SOLAR and WIND ENERGY is my Best choice.
Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by tempest01(m): 10:43am On Jun 18, 2015
Calebosko:
ok,am in afahansit

That's cool...a little far though
Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by Nobody: 11:05am On Jun 18, 2015
GodMode:

I read 3000MW...

Where's the link to defend your comment
everywhere else, it says 6000MW including wikipedia, bt am surprised, where do u gt dat info frm?
Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by 1miccza: 11:19am On Jun 18, 2015
miquelon:

Yes it seems so. I just hope there is due diligence on the project. No short cuts

That's my prayer tooo...

1 Like

Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by Chimezie250(m): 11:27am On Jun 18, 2015
BuddahMonk:
I hope Geregu is not close to Igboland because we will not allow that to happen in Akwa Ibom State also.

When the want to site WMD they will locate close to Igboland.

you funny gan
Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by GodMode: 1:33pm On Jun 18, 2015
Ednite:

everywhere else, it says 6000MW including wikipedia, bt am surprised, where do u gt dat info frm?

from another NL user... But you're correct.
Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by 2dillu2(m): 4:51pm On Jun 18, 2015
tempest01:
Why akwaibom? Them wan come kill us?
grin grin grin are you afraid
Re: Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites by tempest01(m): 4:53pm On Jun 18, 2015
2dillu2:
grin grin grin are you afraid

Very afraid ooh....they should pay all akwa ibomites hazard allowance I'd they want to go through with it. Nuclear disaster no be beans

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ifeanyi Ejiofor Speaks On FG's Move To Revoke Nnamdi Kanu’s Bail / Court Orders EFCC, DSS To Arrest Diezani Within 72 Hours / I Am Highly Impressed - Buhari Says As He Unveils 7 Projects In Borno (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.