Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,824 members, 7,817,400 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:35 AM

Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY (11818 Views)

Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University / Comparing LASPOTECH With IBADANPOLY / Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three: WINNER OAU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by suleiman419(m): 9:25pm On Jun 21, 2015
Fynestboi:
Continue with the rebuttal....
BRILLIANT ABUSITE
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by darrytoz(m): 9:26pm On Jun 21, 2015
Danjuma827:
Do your research very well. More people are being educated day in day out and they are surpassing the issues of fraud. Do you believe with me that knowlegde is power? If you do with the rate at which people are being educated through social media there will be tremendous decrease in crime rate.
As far as they are being educated. So also they are scaming people day in day out. Do you want to time you have never been a victim of social media?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by Danjuma827(m): 9:26pm On Jun 21, 2015
sammyscholar:

SCHOOL: The Polytechnic, Ibadan

NAME: Sammyscholar

Conclusively, social media is only giving us false impression of what human interaction actually is. It is only creating for us a medium to live an unreal and wasteful life. Naturally, we have all it takes to live a well interconnected life. we have survived many years without any communication mediator; we have passed through a lot of centuries without the electronic global community; yet, we connect, live and grow impressively. our natural interpersonal relationship does not only allow us to have vibrant and formidable connection, it also gives us the opportunity to express our true self and feelings. We do not get to fake things like we now do on social media. Thank you.

REFERENCES

1) builttobrag.com/5-pitfalls-of-social-media/
2) a.htm
if only you know how many members on nairaland are being educated on this forum then you will not bring about the matter above.
or you want to tell me that this debate as not imparted to you a lot? I
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by darrytoz(m): 9:28pm On Jun 21, 2015
darrytoz:

As far as they are being educated. So also they are scaming people day in day out. Do you want to time you have never been a victim of social media?
Do you want to tell me you have never been a victim of social media?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by sammyscholar(m): 9:31pm On Jun 21, 2015
Danjuma827:
you said in your essay that social media foster business growth. Do you know how many businesses are losing their resources to the bane of social media? it is common today to see presumed worker, on their duty, leaving their work to browse with the friends online. time is a cost in the business world because it has a great effect on the bottom line of all businesses. many businesses have even have their image battered courtesy social media. although it may help business to create awareness, but the woes it has brought on businesses is more that it benefits
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by Fynestboi: 9:34pm On Jun 21, 2015
Keep it going guys.... 20mins more....
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by darrytoz(m): 9:35pm On Jun 21, 2015
Danjuma827:
if only you know how many members on nairaland are being educated on this forum then you will not bring about the matter above.
or you want to tell me that this debate as not imparted to you a lot? I
Are you telling us now that we dont have fraud on nairaland?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by Danjuma827(m): 9:35pm On Jun 21, 2015
sammyscholar:

SCHOOL: The Polytechnic, Ibadan

NAME: Sammyscholar

TOPIC: The Social Media: a tool of social engineering or a weapon of social destruction?

STANCE: The latter

"

We no longer care about real, tangible things. All we now care about is the virtual world— how our images look on social media or how many "likes” our Instagram photo has garnered. We no longer give priority to what happens in the real and visible present, but to what occurs in the virtual world. It is has now become a norm today that whenever terrible thing occurs, say accident, what people do is to take a snap-shot of the victims and post on social media instead of taking them to the hospital; and as a result of this, many lives that could have been saved have been lost.

The psychological effects of social media has risen over /
Have you not heard about the issue of underage voting? so you mean that when you see something that needs urgent attention and your power is beyong it. won't you make you voice to be heard? I know you were aware about the issue of underage voting in the just concluded election and this was also possible simply because someone snapped it and posted for you to see. or you want us to just keep silent and watch the wrong happening?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by Danjuma827(m): 9:39pm On Jun 21, 2015
darrytoz:

Are you telling us now that we dont have fraud on nairaland?
well so you mean that you will agree to them. How come do you know about the fraud wasn't it through the social media? Thank God you are aware that there are fraud. Will you still fall to them when you know that they are fraud? I think its not possible. or are you telling me that a wise person won't dictate a fraud topic or not?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by Danjuma827(m): 9:42pm On Jun 21, 2015
sammyscholar:
you said in your essay that social media foster business growth. Do you know how many businesses are losing their resources to the bane of social media? it is common today to see presumed worker, on their duty, leaving their work to browse with the friends online. time is a cost in the business world because it has a great effect on the bottom line of all businesses. many businesses have even have their image battered courtesy social media. although it may help business to create awareness, but the woes it has brought on businesses is more that it benefits
My friend haven't you seen adverts on nairaland? or haven't you seen business adverts on naira land? if you have not then check it now? don't you think this adverts will bring in more people because of awareness? if you answer is yes then social networks helps in businesses and also expand their coast for greater profits
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by sammyscholar(m): 9:43pm On Jun 21, 2015
Danjuma827:
Have you not heard about the issue of underage voting? so you mean that when you see something that needs urgent attention and your power is beyong it. won't you make you voice to be heard? I know you were aware about the issue of underage voting in the just concluded election and this was also possible simply because someone snapped it and posted for you to see. or you want us to just keep silent and watch the wrong happening?
how does the picture of underage voting correlate with the fact that people are misplacing their priority on what should be done an when it should be done. will posting of underage voter's picture stopped him/her from voting? is posting his picture online the right step? this is ones of the bane of social media. it has shifted our psyche from what needs to what needs not
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by darrytoz(m): 9:46pm On Jun 21, 2015
Danjuma827:
well so you mean that you will agree to them. How come do you know about the fraud wasn't it through the social media? Thank God you are aware that there are fraud. Will you still fall to them when you know that they are fraud? I think its not possible. or are you telling me that a wise person won't dictate a fraud topic or not?
tell me! For a first timer that stumble on the forum through google. Will such a person no that he/she is about to be fraud. A lot of fraudulent act has been registered on this section (education) when some candidate who are in rush for admission falls into the hand of gangs who parade themselves as agent of the school.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by rhamsody1(m): 9:51pm On Jun 21, 2015
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by sammyscholar(m): 9:52pm On Jun 21, 2015
Danjuma827:
My friend haven't you seen adverts on nairaland? or haven't you seen business adverts on naira land? if you have not then check it now? don't you think this adverts will bring in more people because of awareness? if you answer is yes then social networks helps in businesses and also expand their coast for greater profits
that is why i said it only helps business to create awareness. and mind you, it also have the sword to mar the image it helps business to create and whatever damage social media does to business, it can hardly be recovered from.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by Danjuma827(m): 9:54pm On Jun 21, 2015
@ ibadan poly reps.......Do you know how many youths have found something go doing through the help of social media? for your information most social media we have today is as a result of the creative minds of the youths. Many youths today are being employed in lucrative Jobs just because of their access of social media. so I will want you to know that.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by sammyscholar(m): 9:56pm On Jun 21, 2015
darrytoz:

tell me! For a first timer that stumble on the forum through google. Will such a person no that he/she is about to be fraud. A lot of fraudulent act has been registered on this section (education) when some candidate who are in rush for admission falls into the hand of gangs who parade themselves as agent of the school.
weldon mate! many have fell into the hands of this so called admission agent. many of us, have, at one time, or the other, got in contact with them in our admission quest.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by sammyscholar(m): 10:00pm On Jun 21, 2015
@abuzaria, what have you to say about people losing their private lives to onine virality, or those who have been killed and and maimed by their suppose online friends?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by Fynestboi: 10:00pm On Jun 21, 2015
The rebuttal stage is officially over... Audience can post their questions If there is....
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by Fynestboi: 10:01pm On Jun 21, 2015
Fynestboi:
The rebuttal stage is officially over... Audience can post their questions If there is....

Along with judges....
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by Danjuma827(m): 10:02pm On Jun 21, 2015
sammyscholar:
how does the picture of underage voting correlate with the fact that people are misplacing their priority on what should be done an when it should be done. will posting of underage voter's picture stopped him/her from voting? is posting his picture online the right step? this is ones of the bane of social media. it has shifted our psyche from what needs to what needs not
Well let me tell you something that was the right thing to do at that time so that the whole world would see the wrong doings in a particular place. So you mean you would go and stop the boy? I think you won't have the courage to do that. Cause you were not even there when he was registering, for the first time. These people saw him and they did not complain and you think your complain will be heard at that spot I think your answer is a big No.so the only means you have is to air you complain so that the necessary authority will take proper action
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by darrytoz(m): 10:02pm On Jun 21, 2015
Danjuma827:
@ ibadan poly reps.......Do you know how many youths have found something go doing through the help of social media? for your information most social media we have today is as a result of the creative minds of the youths. Many youths today are being employed in lucrative Jobs just because of their access of social media. so I will want you to know that.
You and I will agree that what the youth have been able to achieve through the social media is FRAUD! You no what am talking about. What does the youth engaged themselves with nowadays with the social media? Yahoo-Yahoo. Quote me if I am wrong.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by sammyscholar(m): 10:07pm On Jun 21, 2015
the right thing to do is to alert the military men, not your friends on social media
Danjuma827:
Well let me tell you something that was the right thing to do at that time so that the whole world would see the wrong doings in a particular place. So you mean you would go and stop the boy? I think you won't have the courage to do that. Cause you were not even there when he was registering, for the first time. These people saw him and they did not complain and you think your complain will be heard at that spot I think your answer is a big No.so the only means you have is to air you complain so that the necessary authority will take proper action
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by Danjuma827(m): 10:07pm On Jun 21, 2015
sammyscholar:
weldon mate! many have fell into the hands of this so called admission agent. many of us, have, at one time, or the other, got in contact with them in our admission quest.
If you have beeeln following the first set of topics you will agree with me that fynestboi co moderator Richiez has warned all the members about these fraudulent act. Or have you been seeing posts on those topics? I think you answer will be a big No
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by Danjuma827(m): 10:09pm On Jun 21, 2015
sammyscholar:
the right thing to do is to alert the military men, not your friends on social media
weren't the military men there when it all started?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by Danjuma827(m): 10:10pm On Jun 21, 2015
sammyscholar:
@abuzaria, what have you to say about people losing their private lives to onine virality, or those who have been killed and and maimed by their suppose online friends?
then I can say that it is as a result of individuals self control. If they are careful enough they won't fall victim of these act
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by darrytoz(m): 10:16pm On Jun 21, 2015
Danjuma827:
If you have beeeln following the first set of topics you will agree with me that fynestboi co moderator Richiez has warned all the members about these fraudulent act. Or have you been seeing posts on those topics? I think you answer will be a big No
was the warning by the moderators enough to stop the act? Tell if someone is banned today wount he go and open another account. The social media does not give room for interpersonal relationship rather it is intrapersonal relationship because you dont no from were the person you are trying to relate with evolve from.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by sammyscholar(m): 10:18pm On Jun 21, 2015
Danjuma827:
. Topic: The social media-a tool of social engineering or a weapon of social destruction?

Good day, my accurate and reliable judges, dedicated coordinators, fellow debaters and the ever available spectators. I am Danjuma, the second speaker of Ahmadu Bello university, Zaria. I am supporting the motion that states: The Social Media is a Tool For Social Engineering.

In order to have a vast knowledge on the topic, we need to be enlightened on some important terms concerning the topic:

MEDIA: The main means of mass communication, that is, electronic devices that help you convey information to a large number of people.

SOCIAL MEDIA: these are computer-mediated tools that allow people to create, share or exchange information, ideas and pictures/videos in virtual communities and networks and it is a group of internet-based applications that build on the ideological and technological foundations of web 2.0

SOCIAL ENGINEERING: the act of promoting and improving the standard of a given society or country at large, through the use of social media.

"In the coming years, if not sooner,
social media will become a powerful tool that consumers will aggressively use to influence
business attitudes and force companies into greater social responsibility - and, I suggest,
move us towards a more sustainable practice of capitalism." (Simon Mainwaring)

The use of social media is on boom nowadays. Whether it is from socializing and networking websites such as facebook, blogs and informative websites such as twitter, tumblr, video sharing websites, e.g.YouTube, and daily motion and other kind of platforms, they have made life easier by quick sharing of almost everthing that a person wants to know about. There is no doubt about the dependability of humans on these sources of socializing, that is why individuals use them to maximize their productivity and profits.

Social media is a very strong political tool which is a mighty weapon in changing the opinions and the influences of the public. Nigerian politics have become embroiled in the political landscape of the web and have discovered how effective the internet can be. The World Wide Web has allowed politically minded people in Nigeria to converse about politics within the country and influence the views of people who are yet to be swayed by one view or another. Not only will Nigerians be influenced by the media that report news, but by each other while conversing on the current political climate through social networking sites and forums. No doubt some of those with politically motivated ambitions develop platforms such as blogs or a page on social networking site for the delivering of their political messages and agendas to people. This is one of the advantages of social media as almost on technological knowledge is required and people can make a professional and convincing platform to spread their messages. Even when the country tries to implement a gate keeping system, preventing the masses from knowing the full story on sensitive political subject, this won't stop the people in having whatever ideals they are working towards realizing. This will certainly lead to a greater influence activism which will definitely catalyse social growth in a nation.

Social media helps to boost businesses, and also gives people's businesses access to previously uncharted territory. Social media also permit businesses reach and exposure in the shortest period of time. It gives you credibility and helps you discern trends and patterns pertaining to your business and you will be able to iterate and scale based on those trends and patterns. Each social media platform has its own features, an understanding of these features helps someone leverage on the features of social media platforms and helps him create a captive market on each of them. As a small business owner, one of the primary aim is to keep costs down and increase visibility. Social media does it for you. The big three-facebook, twitter and instagram are free and set up is a matter of minutes. Twitter offers you instant engagement, Facebook gives you the ability to create pages for your business, while instagram allows you to show the visual side of your business. Social media fosters your gains which will definitely make your business grow and the investment will eventually pay off in the long run. What are you waiting for? Join the category of people that maximizes their business through social media.

Education is not in exception in the use of social Media.Education has been depending largely on the print and electronic media for quite some time, but these media are expensive due to lesser availability. On the other hand, social media is inexpensive and easily available.Now most of the instructors and professors use YouTube to show students different kind of videos related to their field and hence their productivity has gone miles ahead of what is used to be before. As students use facebooks nowadays, so also teachers have come up with the idea of making a common page for all the students to share updates regarding any changes in class schedule, dates due for assignment submission and quizzes. It helps students to keep in touch with their teachers and ask about the difficulties in courses while sitting at home. This does not stop there, it also promotes team work, when students are to submit any kind of group projects. they can communicate with each other better and share files and comments on that same page. Even Nairaland also has impacted and help thousands of people under the education sector and so many other sector.The social media has made all these possible

Conclusively, social media in the world is highly inevitable, it has boosted and enlightened uncountable people around the world. I believe that my co- debaters from Ibadan Poly will definitely agree with me that without the use of social media we would not have gathered here to participated in the online naira land interschool debate.We all need the media for a reformative society and for social growth and development.

social media sparks a revelation that we , the people have a voice, and through the democratization of content and ideas we can once again unite around common passions, inspire movement and ignite change. (brain Solis)

References:

http://www.jeffbullas.com/2014/01/17/20-social-media-facts-and-statistics-you-should-know-in-2014/

http://www.halstromacademy.org/technology-in-schools/educational-benefits-of-social-networking/

http://www.google.com.ng/search?q=meaning+of+media&client=ms-opera-mini-android&channel=new&gws_rd=cr&ei=0BuFVfewA5CvoQSPvZ-YCA

http://www.askwriter.com/social-networking-impact-on-youth-an-essay-sample

http://www.learndash.com/growing-use-of-social-media-in-education/

http://www.ukessays.com/essays/media/social-media-and-networking-and-the-role-media-essay.php

@Danjuma, dont you think that your partner have, in his essay, supported the fact that social media is a destruction to our society?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by Danjuma827(m): 10:20pm On Jun 21, 2015
darrytoz:

was the warning by the moderators enough to stop the act? Tell if someone is banned today wount he go and open another account. The social media does not give room for interpersonal relationship rather it is intrapersonal relationship because you dont no from were the person you are trying to relate with evolve from.
I want to ask you how many post have you seen people posting on those fraudulent topics? if you have not observed it then do it right away. And after you have done it. you will notice that there is hardly a post on those trends and this is to tell you that a lot of people have been enlightened
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by 3kay945(m): 10:22pm On Jun 21, 2015
sammyscholar:
@Danjuma, dont you think that your partner have, in his essay, supported the fact that social media is a destruction to our society?

Should ve bold your reference part.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by Danjuma827(m): 10:23pm On Jun 21, 2015
sammyscholar:
I can see that you haven't read through very well. All he wrote was supporting the motion. please try and go through my partners work again and you will agree with me that we are all in support of social media as a tool for social engineering.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by sammyscholar(m): 10:24pm On Jun 21, 2015
Danjuma827:
then I can say that it is as a result of individuals self control. If they are careful enough they won't fall victim of these act
how come that we were able to control ourselves when there has not been social media? why is it now when we have social media? You will agree with me that social media is encouraging us to live a fake live that we would not have lived in the actual world.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by Danjuma827(m): 10:30pm On Jun 21, 2015
sammyscholar:
how come that we were able to control ourselves when there has not been social media? why is it now when we have social media? You will agree with me that social media is encouraging us to live a fake live that we would not have lived in the actual world.
Even when there was no social media don't people still fall victim of these fraudulent acts?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests / Uniben School Fees Schedule / Poly Lecturers To Embark On Strike From August 22.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.