Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,119 members, 7,814,929 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:51 PM

Nigerian Traffic Rules - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Traffic Rules (19339 Views)

5 Rules To Survive In Warri / 5 Rules To Survive In Lagos / US To Tighten Student Visa Rules After Boston Bombing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Traffic Rules by sayso: 7:41am On Feb 24, 2009
Good day chaps.
I had an issue yesterday.
I would like to get your views concerning traffic rules and regulations.

"Is it a traffic offence to move when the traffic light turns from GREEN-to-YELLOW, and not RED yet?"

Please send your comments based on the NIgerian context.

Thanks.
Re: Nigerian Traffic Rules by Tegese: 11:37am On Feb 24, 2009
sayso:

Good day chaps.
I had an issue yesterday.
I would like to get your views concerning traffic rules and regulations.

"Is it a traffic offence to move when the traffic light turns from GREEN-to-YELLOW, and not RED yet?"

Thanks.
yes, it is a traffic offence to move when the light turns amber (yellow), "yellow" is a warning light to stop, and not a get-ready sign as some people think.
Re: Nigerian Traffic Rules by babycool(f): 2:56pm On Feb 24, 2009
@ poster

That is why it is good to go to driving school, then you wouldn't be asking such questions
Re: Nigerian Traffic Rules by Treetop20(m): 4:19pm On Feb 24, 2009
the idea of traffic rules in Nigeria is laughable cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigerian Traffic Rules by babycool(f): 4:50pm On Feb 24, 2009
Yeah, go ahead and make jest of your country, you guys are so good at it!
Re: Nigerian Traffic Rules by Nobody: 10:33am On Feb 25, 2009
Nigeria and traffic rules in the same sentence is an oxymoron, there should be only ONE RULE, and that's the police bribe rule. to hell with traffic rules!!!
Re: Nigerian Traffic Rules by babycool(f): 5:40pm On Feb 25, 2009
Bad news, your  criticism aint worth a dime!  tongue
Re: Nigerian Traffic Rules by Nobody: 6:16pm On Feb 25, 2009
criticism?!, you meant FACTS, right?
Re: Nigerian Traffic Rules by allboyz(m): 6:23pm On Feb 25, 2009
babycool:

Yeah, go ahead and make jest of your country, you guys are so good at it!

Babycool . .Don't mind them . . .and these are the set of people that would be saying all shit!!  

some needs to be corrected and you are referring shit about your OWN FATHERLAND . .
Re: Nigerian Traffic Rules by casper(m): 6:42pm On Feb 25, 2009
i dont think it is an offense, it just means you should be cautious and get ready to stop, al least in yankee here
Re: Nigerian Traffic Rules by hilli666(m): 7:20pm On Feb 25, 2009
I honestly don't think its about making jest or making fun at our great and illustrious country. But after seventy years of unabated corruption, even on the smallest municipal projects, then I think the poster is the one UNINTENTIONALLY making fun of his country. Besides Nigerians especially the poor don't want traffic lights because it bad for the local now booming OKADA and Danfo business. More stops means less money, less money means increase in buss fares a cost that the average Nigerian commuter will have to absolve. It would be nice to see operational traffic lights once again in Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Traffic Rules by Nimshi: 7:31pm On Feb 25, 2009
sayso:

Here's an answer from quite a good source:

" The sequence of traffic lights is red, red + amber (yellow), green, amber and back to red. Red + amber is a warning to get ready to go, but you mustn’t start moving until the light changes to green. Amber means stop at the stop line. You may proceed only if the amber light appears after you’ve crossed the stop line or when stopping might cause an accident. "

This applies in Nigeria.

Re: Nigerian Traffic Rules by cvibe: 8:02pm On Feb 25, 2009
Amber does not mean stop. Red light means stop.

If you beat an amber light, it's not a traffic offence but if you beat a red light then it is.
Re: Nigerian Traffic Rules by TmeD0(m): 8:43pm On Feb 25, 2009
@ poster, Rules?  What traffic rules?  Are we talking about the same naija sha?   
Re: Nigerian Traffic Rules by roodest: 8:57pm On Feb 25, 2009
Nimshi:

Here's an answer from quite a good source:

" The sequence of traffic lights is red, red + amber (yellow), green, amber and back to red. Red + amber is a warning to get ready to go, but you mustn’t start moving until the light changes to green. Amber means stop at the stop line. You may proceed only if the amber light appears after you’ve crossed the stop line or when stopping might cause an accident. "

This applies in Nigeria.

Nimshi! in which country do you leave where red changes thru amber then to green?!
mr man/woman, red changes directly to green!

People, Amber does NOT equal stop! RED does!
however, you have to be cautious, if the light changes to amber and your distance is the length of one or two vehicles from the light, you prolly oughta move so the guy behind doesnt kiss your ass, at regulated speeds, from that distance you would pass the light before it turns red.

@ poster
the lastma wey catch u, if that was the case, simply ENFORCED strict rules for egunje, or how you take settle am last last?!
Re: Nigerian Traffic Rules by mamanaija: 9:06pm On Feb 25, 2009
Nigerian drivers don't obey traffic rule
Re: Nigerian Traffic Rules by SeanT21(f): 9:53pm On Feb 25, 2009
You can go on yellow if there is no way you are able to stop.On the other hand if U can stop,Go ahead and stop!!
Re: Nigerian Traffic Rules by webprince(m): 10:03pm On Feb 25, 2009
mamanaija:

Nigerian drivers don't obey traffic rule
Chairman, d fact that U/some ppl do not obey traffic rule, does not mean that everyboy disregard traffic rule mind U.

@poster in response 2 ur scenario, u r right 2 move on yellow, since the light changed from green. But as U know, 9ja's trafic warden /police/lasthma might want 2 play smart on U. If U truly know d traffic rule, then U'll defend urself.
Re: Nigerian Traffic Rules by Tegese: 10:13pm On Feb 25, 2009
the best answer is the one given by SeanT21. this is the real driving rule
SeanT21:

You can go on yellow if there is no way you are able to stop.On the other hand if U can stop,Go ahead and stop!!

but if you're clear, no danger of accident or obstruction, then, you MUST STOP at amber (yellow), otherwise, it is a traffic offence.
if you know that you did not attend a real driving school, please do not make any contribution because, i can see that most people are giving answers according to what they think, not according to what they were taught in driving school.
Re: Nigerian Traffic Rules by SisiJinx: 11:19pm On Feb 25, 2009
There are traffic rules in naija?

Well. . . Whad'ya know!!! cheesy
Re: Nigerian Traffic Rules by blackspade(m): 1:06am On Feb 26, 2009
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!

grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Traffic Rules by RichyBlacK(m): 1:06am On Feb 26, 2009
Chineke God of Ozuitem! Nigeria has traffic rules? grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Traffic Rules by Nimshi: 5:06am On Feb 26, 2009
roodest:

Nimshi! in which country do you leave where red changes thru amber then to green?!

however, you have to be cautious, if the light changes to amber and your distance is the length of one or two vehicles from the light, you prolly oughta move so the guy behind doesnt kiss your ass, at regulated speeds, from that distance you would pass the light before it turns red.

roodest: na wah o!

Here, from a source that's quite reliable:

"In most countries, the sequence is green (go), amber (prepare to stop), and red (stop). In some systems, however, just before red changes to green, both red and amber are lit. It is customary for drivers to select neutral and/or use the handbrake at red lights; the additional phase is intended to give the driver time to select first gear or release the handbrake before the light turns green, but in practice is treated as an invitation to go before the green light is showing. Austrian, Israeli, and Mexican traffic lights use a flashing green 'prepare to stop' prior to the amber 'stop if safe' signal.

In the UK[2], New Zealand[3] and Canada[4], amber officially means 'stop (unless it would cause an accident to do so)' but in practice, is treated as 'prepare to stop'. In Russia, Serbia, Austria, Israel, and parts of Canada and Mexico, the green light flashes for a few seconds before the amber light comes on. The single flashing amber signal is used in the UK, Ireland and Australia at Pelican crossings. It is used in Serbia and the United States to mark places where greater attention is needed (dangerous crossings, sharp curves etc.). In Canada, a flashing amber light means "drive with caution" and is frequently combined with a flashing red light (meaning "stop"wink at four-way intersections. In many S.E, Asian countries (e.g. Thailand) a flashing amber light indicates a driver may proceed cautiously across a junction where signals only operate at busy periods."

If you've driven on Nigerian roads where the traffic lights're functional, it should be easy to figure which applies to the good/wonderful Nigerian roads.
Re: Nigerian Traffic Rules by blackracle(m): 7:22am On Feb 26, 2009
I was oncd arrested 4 moving on amber.since then,i always stop on amber.cant pay a fine again.
Re: Nigerian Traffic Rules by sayso: 9:08am On Feb 26, 2009
roodest:

@ poster
the lastma wey catch u, if that was the case, simply ENFORCED strict rules for egunje, or how you take settle am last last?!

Roodest,

You know every.
I wanted to buy a TV that day, but I got quite late to the shop and their doors were locked.
I had the 'egbele' with me,
So last last. I get to act like sharp man.
Nothing do me.
Re: Nigerian Traffic Rules by kunlexist(m): 11:14am On Feb 26, 2009
Driving School will help a lot
Re: Nigerian Traffic Rules by PurestBoy(m): 1:07pm On Feb 26, 2009
kunlexist:

Driving School will help a lot

Not even driving school but common sense. I never went to driving school but I understand and obey the traffic rules. What the poster lacks is common sense
Re: Nigerian Traffic Rules by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 1:42pm On Feb 26, 2009
Tell it to LASTMA

stay more than 5 seconds on the BRT yellow line while in slow-moving traffic. and some gruff, smelly eko boy steps up to the bumper and starts taking pictues asking why you were on the yellow line while trying to merge into a lane
Re: Nigerian Traffic Rules by ayobase(m): 2:29pm On Feb 26, 2009
Home Sweet home, Naija.
We are always reversing the
isssue of Rules,Regulations,Commandments,
Orders,Laws,Presciptions,and Judgements here.

Well to answer ur question,

Green light depicts GO
Red light depicts STOP
Yellow light depicts GET READY TO GO/STOP

When it goes from Green to Yellow,
it simply means get ready to Stop

When it goes from Red to Yellow,
it simpy means get ready to Go.

But here in Naija, everyone disobeys the rules
well, it might no be everyone,
but 99% of Abuja inhabitants disobeys.
that I can say!!!!

When it is "Ready to Stop"
that is when u will see SOME drivers
gearing to 5 from 1.

And When it is "Ready to Go"
that is when U will see SOME drivers
already gone 500 meters.

Naija, no wonder police sits there only
to legally extort drivers due to diobedience.

There was one that was embarrassing,
a man in suit matched with tie in his "End Of Discussion"
had to be apprehended by the police due to
diobeying the traffic rules.

Naija,
hey which one of u does that also?
Re: Nigerian Traffic Rules by Epi: 2:34pm On Feb 26, 2009
@ Poster:

I should think traffic signals (stop lights) have the same meaning worldwide.
Red=Stop (time for Peds to walk)
Green=Go
Yellow = Prepare to stop

However, I think it’s ok to go through the yellow flashing light but with caution.  Just make sure the road is clear and pedestrians are not crossing the road.  However, I always find myself “mashing” gas when I see that yellow light flashing just to get through before it turns red or green.

I usually stop at the Red light but once in a blue moon I am a red light jumper (once there is no traffic signal camera around and the road is clear)  Last year I went through a red light not realizing the car behind me was a Po-Po car.  They pulled me over and warned me.

If you ask me, I think they should have lessons for pedestrians, seriously. Coz, there are some careless and aggressive pedestrians who cross against the traffic lights.  Some even take the risk while pushing a baby in a stroller.  Then they (pedestrians) have the audacity to “roll-eyes” at you while taking their precious time walking across the street.  Sometimes, I am like “HELLO!!! (foot on the gas),  grin

1 love
Re: Nigerian Traffic Rules by valmarangs(m): 2:49pm On Feb 26, 2009
No system walks in nigeria, so i dont blame any body that does not stop when the yellow appears, though the yellow stands for amber,u are suppose to stop when u see a yellow light
Re: Nigerian Traffic Rules by blinx4real(m): 2:56pm On Feb 26, 2009
The yellow light is programed and timed by the approved speed limit for the road you are driving on. If the road is a high speed limit road then the yellow light will go on for a while allowing you to slow down and stop and same for a low speed limit road.
In other words, whenever you see a yellow light, it means start to stop, if you are driving too fast and cannot slow down as fast enough then you should be arrested for driving above the speed limit. tongue grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

The History Of The Lagos BRT (25 Things Every Lagosian Must Know) / Sudan War: Buses Conveying Nigerian Evacuees Arrive Port Sudan (Video, Photos) / Foreign Embassies And Consulates In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.