Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,410 members, 7,836,640 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:53 AM

Nigerian Traffic Rules - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Traffic Rules (19367 Views)

5 Rules To Survive In Warri / 5 Rules To Survive In Lagos / US To Tighten Student Visa Rules After Boston Bombing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Traffic Rules by Becomrrich: 5:28pm On Feb 26, 2009
I think you are not a nigerian

see the picture of lagos before you judge nigeria.

http://.com/smf/index.php?topic=14758.0
Re: Nigerian Traffic Rules by DisGuy: 9:35pm On Feb 26, 2009
blinx4real:

The yellow light is programed and timed by the approved speed limit for the road you are driving on. If the road is a high speed limit road then the yellow light will go on for a while allowing you to slow down and stop and same for a low speed limit road.
In other words, whenever you see a yellow light, it means start to stop, if you are driving too fast and cannot slow down as fast enough then you should be arrested for driving above the speed limit. tongue grin

what's the speed limit on state road or in residential areas?
Re: Nigerian Traffic Rules by Phemzy(m): 10:18am On Feb 27, 2009
In Nigeria, there is noting like speed limit and 90% of Nigerian did not go to driving school before driving.

Come to Port Harcourt and see how those foolish Ikwerres are driving, reaching 100-120 within the street, and they will be yabing that na their land oh!.
Re: Nigerian Traffic Rules by blinx4real(m): 10:40am On Feb 27, 2009
Dis Guy:

what's the speed limit on state road or in residential areas?
80km/hr in open country and 50km/hr in population centers(residential areas), but commonsense says you shouldn't drive more than 30km/hr with the kind of traffic we have in 9ja urban centers

Phemzy:

In Nigeria, there is noting like speed limit and 90% of Nigerian did not go to driving school before driving.
@phemzy, Where did u get that from? It shows that you certainly didn't go to a driving school cos if you did u shld know.
If you take the time (while battling with ur jalopy as a result of ur half baked education in driving) you would see it clearly written on sign posts on some roads.
Re: Nigerian Traffic Rules by ilaugh1: 7:56pm On Feb 27, 2009
some Nigerians make me laugh, their problem is either they havent seen a traffic light before because they live in the remote part of Nigeria, hence they think the traffic light is something that doesnt exist in Nigeria, but if you reside in Abuja, PH, Calabar, Lagos, then, traffic lights will not be a big issue to laugh about in Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Traffic Rules by ilaugh1: 8:00pm On Feb 27, 2009
some Nigerians make me laugh, their problem is either they havent seen a traffic light before because they live in the remote part of Nigeria, hence they think the traffic light is something that doesnt exist in Nigeria, but if you reside in Abuja, PH, Calabar, Lagos, then, traffic lights will not be a big issue to laugh about in Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Traffic Rules by ayobase(m): 12:15pm On Mar 02, 2009
applicable to myself also
Hmmmmmmmm!

epi:

@ Poster:

I should think traffic signals (stop lights) have the same meaning worldwide.
Red=Stop (time for Peds to walk)
Green=Go
Yellow = Prepare to stop

However, I think it’s ok to go through the yellow flashing light but with caution. Just make sure the road is clear and pedestrians are not crossing the road. However, I always find myself “mashing” gas when I see that yellow light flashing just to get through before it turns red or green.

I usually stop at the Red light but once in a blue moon I am a red light jumper (once there is no traffic signal camera around and the road is clear) Last year I went through a red light not realizing the car behind me was a Po-Po car. They pulled me over and warned me.

If you ask me, I think they should have lessons for pedestrians, seriously. Coz, there are some careless and aggressive pedestrians who cross against the traffic lights. Some even take the risk while pushing a baby in a stroller. Then they (pedestrians) have the audacity to “roll-eyes” at you while taking their precious time walking across the street. Sometimes, I am like “HELLO!!! (foot on the gas), grin

1 love
Re: Nigerian Traffic Rules by Iranoladun(f): 1:04pm On Mar 03, 2009
If you live in Lagos - The fear of LASTMA, KAI, Police, VIO, FRSC is the beginning of wisdom grin

My brother if you don't want to part with your money (traffic fines or 'egunje'-bribe) then when you see amber light flashing stop unless you're driving as if robbers are pursuing you! This is the Lagos Traffic rules jare!
Re: Nigerian Traffic Rules by slimes(m): 11:32am On Mar 09, 2009
Traffic light is a method of regulating traffic. It is a way of preventing accidents and ignorance of it is no excuse. One shoul study it very well alongside the highway codes before venturing into driving.
Re: Nigerian Traffic Rules by ayobase(m): 6:39pm On Mar 12, 2009
End Of Discussion!!
Re: Nigerian Traffic Rules by sanyaele(m): 4:32pm On Mar 26, 2009
Victoria Island on Oyin Jolayemi Street, last updated 6 min(s) 44 sec(s) ago
(Karimu Kotun Street -> Akin Adesola Street = 20% congestion) (Akin Adesola Street -> Karimu Kotun Street = 100% congestion)

Victoria Island on Sanusi Fafunwa Street, last updated 8 min(s) 42 sec(s) ago
(Akin Adesola Street -> Adetokunbo Ademola Street = 100% congestion) (Adetokunbo Ademola Street -> Akin Adesola Street = 90% congestion)

Victoria Island on Ajose Adeogun Street, last updated 54 min(s) 37 sec(s) ago
(Adetokunbo Ademola Street -> Ligali Ayorinde = 20% congestion) (Ligali Ayorinde -> Adetokunbo Ademola Street = 90% congestion)

Source: http://www.xtraffix.com

PLEASE contribute so others too can benefit

(1) (2) (Reply)

Few Nigerians Work As Cabin-Crew On International Airlines? / Emirates Airline Suspends Its 2nd Daily Flight From Nigeria To Dubai / Sudan War: Buses Conveying Nigerian Evacuees Arrive Port Sudan (Video, Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.