Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,595 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:45 PM

Papal Apology Request! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Papal Apology Request! (2169 Views)

Catholic Priests May Be Allowed To Marry Amid Papal Changes / Logicboy Has Been An Altar Boy At The Papal Church For 22 Years / Nigerian Caught In The Vatican For Pimping Guys To Papal Usher (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Papal Apology Request! by MAligbe(m): 2:36pm On Sep 19, 2006
Is a request for the Pope to make an apology necessary? The old man recited an old quote. As if that was not enough, he apologised and now some other people are saying that he should make another.

What do you think this kind of reaction tell people about Islam
Re: Papal Apology Request! by Hugoboi(m): 2:45pm On Sep 19, 2006
It tells people that Islam is an intolerant religion*lets kill 'em islamist suckas!!*
Re: Papal Apology Request! by vichel(m): 3:35pm On Sep 19, 2006
This is so sad that at this modern times, violence can be erupted by the quoting of an old stupid passage. I wonder are the words or actions of our elders still the words of the wise?
Re: Papal Apology Request! by MAligbe(m): 3:41pm On Sep 19, 2006
There has to be someone who can explain to us, how they really feel when Islam is discussed. For example, Christianity has been under fire from the Movie industry, Writers etc and not even a single person was killed.

These attacks didnt change the way Christians see their God, But it took just days after the Comment from the Pope, a nun was shut in Italy and Churches are being attacked in the West Bank.

We pray this doesnt get to Nigeria cos we have a way of escalating things here.
Re: Papal Apology Request! by vichel(m): 3:57pm On Sep 19, 2006
we should focus on pressing matters in Nigeria, on how to eradicate poverty, hunger, diseases, and not waste our time with the rest of the world debating on the pope's comment. If nigerians feel that they would rather result to violence over a stupid comment, Then i must say we should be regarded as FOOLS. Who cares what the pope said, will it stop hunger, cure AIDs? hell no. The popes comments are just words, and they would not stop us from breathing, so what is the meaning of the violence
Re: Papal Apology Request! by MAligbe(m): 4:23pm On Sep 19, 2006
Can you remember during the Danish Cartoon issue, the whole Muslim world demonstrated but no death records untill it got Nigeria, then we had some death count up North.

It really doesnt make sense, but it happens.
Re: Papal Apology Request! by eazyman(m): 3:44am On Sep 20, 2006
Well, this time around if it gets to Nigerians then i promise you that it will be teeth for tooth, men for man, women for woman, so be prepared to defend your brothers and sisters in the North cuz thats were it usually erupts, I have started warm-up exercises with my fellow "COALITION OF THE WILLING" are you ready to join before you are caught of guard ? if YES then email me at: Loverdex@excite.com for details of a counter attack because we must make Nigeria better by chasing these "crazy ball-heads out of town" remember Bob-marley's song, thats our moto. We the southerners have already sacrificed enough by contributing both material and human resources in order to make this country great, its from our resources that the nation survives so we must not recieve anymore insult with injury anymore, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!
Miko.
Loverdex@excite.com
Re: Papal Apology Request! by Nobody: 4:28am On Sep 20, 2006
The president of Pakistan, Pervez Musharraf has gone to the UN to request a ban on the "defamation of Islam"! Next the president of India will be calling for a ban on the "defamation of hinduism"! How sad that the quotes of the pope in far away Germany has become the most important "agenda" on the mind of the President of Pakistan, an illegitimate coup plotter who should be more worried about the pervasive poverty, illiteracy and joblessness in his country.
Here is a man presiding over a country that presently harbours arguably the most wanted terrorist of all time, here is a man who presides over a nation that is fast becoming a top exporter of "home-grown terrorists", here is a man who should be more worried of the growing insurgency in neighboring Afghanistan thnaks to the Taleban, yet here is a man who is more worried about those who "defame Islam".

Thanks to the constant recourse to violence, the truth is gradually giving way to "political correctness", there is now a thin line between the right to free speech and "defaming Islam". We are gradually becoming a society held hostage by growing censorship. While tempers raged over the Mohammedan cartoons, holocaust cartoons hung gleefully at the Iranian national museum, when the Da vinci code was released very few raised an eyebrow at the blasphemous contents, no one called for "immediate appologies", no one called for the death of Dan Brown and we are yet to hold a world wide day of anger!

Thanks to a quote from the 12th century, the "worshippers of the cross" are now under threat of death whether in Nigeria or the USA.
Re: Papal Apology Request! by olabowale(m): 5:30am On Sep 20, 2006
@Davidlan: Don't give yourself hypertension! You will talk ill of Muslims, where ever you can find them. Yet you come from Nigeria. You should pray that your country is at least economically and militarily strong as Pakistan. Maybe, you should prepare yourself for Nigerian politics. I will vote for you. maybe you will be a good leader. Only God knows. For sure you will not do too badly, with this kind of intensity that you have.
Re: Papal Apology Request! by MAligbe(m): 1:39pm On Sep 20, 2006
Olabowale, when you wrote "Yet you come from Nigeria" what did you actually mean? Is it that he shouldnt talk ill of Muslims because he is a Nigerian or that Muslims are more in Nigeria or and I hope not, are you calling Nigeria a Muslim country
Re: Papal Apology Request! by olabowale(m): 2:41pm On Sep 20, 2006
@Maligbe: This is simply that he should work hard to improve the ecomomy and military advancement of Nigeria. The pakistanis, do this with tremendous passion. Every one of them is military ready. Weaponry is in their second nature.

If he runs for political office, i will support him. i can see a strick of stubbornness in him. This is a good quality in politics. At least as of today. Remember, the christians separate politics from Religion. Muslims do not.
Re: Papal Apology Request! by Nobody: 2:51pm On Sep 20, 2006
olabowale:

You will talk ill of Muslims, where ever you can find them. Yet you come from Nigeria. You should pray that your country is at least economically and militarily strong as Pakistan. Maybe, you should prepare yourself for Nigerian politics. I will vote for you. maybe you will be a good leader. Only God knows. For sure you will not do too badly, with this kind of intensity that you have.

I dont talk "ill" of muslims, i only speak the truth and refuse to tow the line of cowardly political correctness!

And of what difference does it make that i come from Nigeria? Is Nigeria an Arab or muslim nation?

If Pakistan was "economically as strong" they won't be wallowing in poverty today! As for millitary strength, there's no point refering to rogue states as having millitary might!
Re: Papal Apology Request! by Nobody: 2:58pm On Sep 20, 2006
olabowale:

@Maligbe: This is simply that he should work hard to improve the ecomomy and military advancement of Nigeria. The pakistanis, do this with tremendous passion. Every one of them is military ready. Weaponry is in their second nature.

If he runs for political office, i will support him. i can see a strick of stubbornness in him. This is a good quality in politics. At least as of today. Remember, the christians separate politics from Religion. Muslims do not.

No wonder the "home grown terrorists" from Pakistan were ready to use their babies as suicide bombers! What a shame!

If you love your religion, you will think twice about electing me to office! cheesy

It is that same inability of muslims to separate religion from politics that we have so much problems in the world today! Thanks to such primitive politics, Nigeria now accounts for 79% of the world's polio cases (we actually reinfected other parts of Africa after polio was almost eradicated) when the mullahs in power in Kano decided not to immunise their children in the name of Allah!
Thanks to religiopolitics, the Northern Nigeria instituted Sharia in a secular nation like Nigeria! Wait till Lagos starts to implement the 10 commandments!

Thanks to religiopolitics, Iran, Palestine, Afghanistan, Iraq, Lebanon, Syria, Sudan, Somalia, Chad are all the world's trouble spots today!

So much for islamic countries!
Re: Papal Apology Request! by xkape(m): 4:17pm On Sep 20, 2006
@olabowale

Let me put it like this
I think the Pope is not even a christian and the papacy is a heresy. This is my opinion. I can express this opinion even though some of my best friends are catholics. I have nothing to fear from them but a hot argument about the bible.
However I have a lot of things I could say about Islam from the point of view of someone aquainted with Islam (Islamic extended family) but I wont say the becos of the clear and present danger i could face from friends and even family
Think about this and wonder why people associate muslims with violence
Re: Papal Apology Request! by jaybaby(f): 7:26pm On Sep 20, 2006
Since he had APOLOGIZED

y r they asking 4 another Apology?

Did he say it TWICE shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Papal Apology Request! by Nobody: 7:37pm On Sep 20, 2006
jaybaby:

Since he had APOLOGIZED

y r they asking 4 another Apology?

Did he say it TWICE shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

They dont want an apology, it was only an excuse to vent their pent up rage and evil!

Perhaps they want the man to come kneel at the feet of the Ayatollah first!
Re: Papal Apology Request! by olabowale(m): 8:33pm On Sep 20, 2006
@Xkape: I think you should be able to say a thought provoking statement. However your language must be decent and fairness of manner must be applied. I will not fault a man/woman who is not subjective from the onset of a dialogue. Unlike other religions, there is no ambiguity in Islam. God Himself have provided all guidelines. He has allowed His Messenger a full explanation, sufficient to guide and shape every individual, from birth to grave.

@ Davidlan: All kneeling down, bowing and prostration belong to God. I do not do it for anyone and do not permit any one to do it for me. In truth, I reserve all my standing up as a sign of respect, until the day of Judgement. The day where there is no place to hide, everything laid out bear.
Re: Papal Apology Request! by jaybaby(f): 8:58pm On Sep 20, 2006
Wale i've read almost all ur post?y r u an ANTAGONIST pls let this DIE!

hmmmmmmmmm MUSLIMS & VIOLENCE
Re: Papal Apology Request! by Nobody: 9:00pm On Sep 20, 2006
olabowale:

Unlike other religions, there is no ambiguity in Islam. God Himself have provided all guidelines. He has allowed His Messenger a full explanation, sufficient to guide and shape every individual, from birth to grave.

When you make statements such as "there is no ambiguity in Islam", then we are wont to ask, who are the "moderate" and "extremist" muslims? Are they reading the same quran? How can some claim that jihad is a religious duty, others force innocent journalists to convert to Islam at gun point, kill a nun, bomb churches all in the name of Allah and yet others claim it is a religion of "peace" and there is no compulsion in Islam? Who is fooling who? And you claim there is no ambiguity? Do we need to explain the term "ambiguity" to you?

When the quran tells all muslims to pray faciing east and then claim they are facing the ka'aba when the direction of the black stone is definitely not east for some folks in the north and south poles, when Allah himself is not sure of with what he created his slaves either from water, sperm dot, dust, clay, nothing, when Allah cannot remember whether the world he claims to have created is round or flat, when the quran says there is no compulsion in religion and in the same breath commands the killing of "infidels and apes", and yet some claim Islam is not ambigous?

olabowale:

@ Davidlan: All kneeling down, bowing and prostration belong to God. I do not do it for anyone and do not permit any one to do it for me. In truth, I reserve all my standing up as a sign of respect, until the day of Judgement. The day where there is no place to hide, everything laid out bear.

I pray you will not be wishing you did not stand so rigidly in this movement of murder and the violence!
Re: Papal Apology Request! by olabowale(m): 11:18pm On Sep 20, 2006
@Davidlan: You must be sincere. You have never heard me talk about any violence. Have you. Killing and all kinds of ills are not by style and I did not see it in Islam.

Where ever I find injustice, I try to do something about it. This may mean going against myself, my family or other Muslims. I fear no one. My hope is only in God. I struggle with my own soul and heart every day of my life. I try to restrict myself from all evil However, this does not mean that I am a good man. I am struggling to improve myself.

About blood letting, you must read about the fars that the Muslims fought under Muhammad (AS). Then you will know that you are completely, wrong and I hope you will educate yourself out of Ignorance. I see muslims doing things that that are unislamic every day. I also see none muslims doing things that are righteous every day. Yet, this is human nature.

About the earth and other scientific observations in Qur'an, I bet that you never read the Qur'an. If you did, you would have known that all the essential indications and findings are there, in the Qur'an for you to see. You have no foot to stand on.

Again, I will not worship Jesus,Jibril, Muhammad (AS), etc. I will only worship the God that they worship.
Re: Papal Apology Request! by Nobody: 12:07am On Sep 21, 2006
olabowale:

@Davidlan: You must be sincere. You have never heard me talk about any violence. Have you. Killing and all kinds of ills are not by style and I did not see it in Islam.

Which Quran are you reading? It must be different from the one those in Kano, Darfur, Somalia, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, Lebanon, Syria, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Palestine and UAE are reading, perhaps you can shed more light on why they are more prone to violence.

olabowale:

About the earth and other scientific observations in Qur'an, I bet that you never read the Qur'an. If you did, you would have known that all the essential indications and findings are there, in the Qur'an for you to see. You have no foot to stand on.

I dislike dealing with vague and ambigous statements, if truly the Quran "has all these proofs" pls quote the verses in the Quran! Stop telling us there are things in the quran you yourself cannot find!

olabowale:

Again, I will not worship Jesus,Jibril, Muhammad (AS), etc. I will only worship the God that they worship.

I am 150% sure you dont have the faintest clue about the God you refer to here. Jesus Christ is THAT GOD! Keep wallowing in darkness!
Re: Papal Apology Request! by mukina2: 11:57am On Sep 21, 2006
the pope is wrong to quote about violence and Islam
he knows the siituation between Islam and the west
and all he can do is to aggravate it all
with an "innocent remark',
m sure he knew what he was going to say.
Re: Papal Apology Request! by Aggressa(m): 12:11pm On Sep 21, 2006
Honestly Mukina2:
How old are you? Have you indeed asked and investigate WHY Pope Benedict made the quotation of a 14 century emperor? what was the objective of the speech?
If you know the answer to those questions, then you will know the Pope did not do or say anything wrong. HE WAS TRYING TO ENGAGE ISLAMIC LEADERS IN AN INTELLECTUAL DEBATE!!!!!! LET US DISCUSS THE CONCEPT OF VIOLENCE IN ISLAM!!!!! And he used the emperor's quotation to butress what he was saying i.e that the impresion that violence is permissible in islam is a long standing one but come let's discuss it SO THAT THE WORLD MIGHT KNOW "MAYBE" IT IS NOT SO.
However, in the unilateral, tunnel-vision, dogmatic thinking of the islamic world and people who are not ready to engage in intellectual debate in a modern world, you have further confirmed and defeated the purpose of the pope's speech. Is it a crime for muslimis`and muslimas to use their brain for God's sake?
I will suggest you stop talking because you guys are now realy getting on my nerves with your shallow-thinking and unreasonable talks. You are a young and educated individual (I hope), how do you then expect the illitrate muslims who look up to you to think if you are incapable of logical reasoning? Jesus Christ!!! angry
Re: Papal Apology Request! by mukina2: 12:20pm On Sep 21, 2006
point of correction i dont look up to no muslim
i believe that Muhhammad is the messenger of Allah and Allah is great.ruler of all men angry angry
i am 4 years old

even if the pope wanted to create a debate ,he chose the wrong time
i dont support the fanatics who go aroung killin themselves but i dont support what the pope said either
he knows that mualims do not like anything being said about the religion and he knew it
why did he do it?
i know it was a speech
why didnt he quote from elsewhere?
what he quoted from was obviously written by another chriatian so you want us to accept it?
well if you are tired of posting and replying then stop tryin to make peolpe angry here angry
you dont have the right to critisize no religion
most of my friends are chriatians plus i grew up in an area of religious tolerance angry
i have never insulted christians. angry
Re: Papal Apology Request! by Aggressa(m): 12:59pm On Sep 21, 2006
Well dear Muki!!

"even if the pope wanted to create a debate ,he chose the wrong time"

Awesome!! so when will ever be the right time, if not now when terrorism is a major global issue, when my dear? 2100?

"he knows that muslims do not like anything being said about their religion and he knew it
why did he do it?"

Honestly, now take a break, sit back, take a deep breath Muki and think about this statement above!! Really, if muslims do not like anything being said about islam, you guys will have to move to pluto which is no longer a planet, dont you think so? I know you dont mean it, right.?

"you don't have the right to critisize no religion"

Yes, I do have the right, it is called freedom of speech and thought and it is one of the attributes of democratic economy. My critique are constructive, intending to educate and enlighten and convince you. It is a product of a logical analysis of the tenets of islam, and an attempt to rebute some of the posts of some fanatics about Jesus Crist on this forum.

"point of correction i don't look up to no muslim"

This is one of my concerns about your understanding, what I said was that you must be young and educated, right? thus naturally we expect the illitrate, uneducated muslims to probably look up to you; hence your reasoning must be able to provide some sense of direction and inspiration to them. Of what use is your educattion if you cannot inspire?
Re: Papal Apology Request! by mukina2: 1:03pm On Sep 21, 2006
whatever say whatever you like i wont reply cuz its abvious your hatred is blinding ur eyes angry sad
Re: Papal Apology Request! by xkape(m): 5:37pm On Sep 21, 2006
@olabowale
olabowale:

@Xkape: I think you should be able to say a thought provoking statement. However your language must be decent and fairness of manner must be applied. I will not fault a man/woman who is not subjective from the onset of a dialogue. Unlike other religions, there is no ambiguity in Islam. God Himself have provided all guidelines. He has allowed His Messenger a full explanation, sufficient to guide and shape every individual, from birth to grave.

Was that a reply?

Incredible!!! You didnt even bother to address any question I raised. *shakes his head and walks out*
Re: Papal Apology Request! by olabowale(m): 6:42pm On Sep 21, 2006
@Texazzpete: You asked why is Islam associated with violence; I think all the explanations to the contrary are more than sufficient. Most muslims on this site had spent enough time on the Issue. If you want to rehatch this topic, go ahead.

Evidently, you are not satisfied with what you have. The issue really is this, you have members of your own family who are muslim, ask them this same question. People are people. All over the world you have groups disagreeing for many reasons. Remember the Yugoslavia wholesale killing of the Muslim minority in the 90s, no one has charged the christians about it.

When you shake your head, do it gently, I do not want you to break your neck.
Re: Papal Apology Request! by xkape(m): 4:49pm On Sep 22, 2006
Yea, we all remember Yugoslavia.

And unless one is ignorant or just intentionally deluded , one would remeber also that hundreds of people have been tried and convicted for war crimes on Muslims there by those Al-quaeda and Co refer to as christian governments

It is unfortunate that you see the world in black and white
Re: Papal Apology Request! by Nobody: 6:21pm On Sep 22, 2006
olabowale:

Remember the Yugoslavia wholesale killing of the Muslim minority in the 90s, no one has charged the christians about it.
When you shake your head, do it gently, I do not want you to break your neck.

Since when did Slobodan Milosevich tell you he was a christian? So in your warped oppinion, everyone who is not a muslim is a christian?
Re: Papal Apology Request! by Aggressa(m): 6:32pm On Sep 22, 2006
davidylan:

Since when did Slobodan Milosevich tell you he was a christian? So in your warped oppinion, everyone who is not a muslim is a christian?

Davidylan!!!
Brilliant question. grin You know that is what I have come to realize!! In the attempts by the jammat-in-the-house to present false evidence associating chritianity and christians with violence, they have concluded that every non-muslim must be a christian. In fact, don't be surprised if one jammat tells you that the hindus or sikhs who are fighting muslims in india are also christians. grin grin
Talk about searching for what is not lost and looking for what can't be found. Indeed God is`using the foolish things of the world to confound the proud, ignorant and haughty
Re: Papal Apology Request! by Nobody: 9:25pm On Sep 22, 2006
Well the pope did apologise and I loved his apology.

He apologised that his statement angered them.If they could reason unmohammedly they'll understand that he apologised for causing them undue stress not for the statement itself for the statement is so true.
The quoted 14th century brilliant emperorĀ  has no clue that his noble observations are still right on,even today.

Anything to keep their murderous rampage under wraps is welcome afterall pope John paul even smooched the Koran,maybe Benedict should do same let's see if they can calm down the hooligans amogst them.
(pope kissing Koran http://www.truecatholic.org/nop/jp2koran.htm)

Islam is indeed a peceful religion and no true Muslim would ever kill an infidel in the name of allah!!!

Yeah right!!
Ever wondered why they shout allahu akhbar before and after the killings even while stoning shariah convicts to death.
This allah must be something else.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Mercy Killing Ok? / The Qu'ran & Hadits (a Distiction) / Adultery And Fornicatiom Which One Is Worst

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.