Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,316 members, 7,826,257 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:51 AM

Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite (47763 Views)

Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) / Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. / An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by naijaking1: 2:19am On Feb 27, 2009
Ibime:

I am not concerned if Ikwerres are Igbos or not. However they resented Nnewi, Imo, Anambra people FLOODING to PH to take their jobs whilst they sit idly by, wallowing in unemployment. At that time, you did not have a need to remember their "igboness" did you? Now when you have no foothold in PH, you use them as proxies to stake claim of ownership, although they have no wish to be associated as Igbos.

BTW, since you must insist on this dismissive attitude toward Rivers State people, I must remind you that Odili is an Ndoni man and not an Ikwerre man. Osisi has already made that mistake earlier.
I catch you again speaking as if PH of today has always been the same since the 1950s. Ikwerres like other Easterners travelled not only to Enugu, but to cities like Onitsha, Aba, Calabar, and Okigiwe. Port Harcourt was just one of the main cities of eastern Nigeria. While people came from Onitsha to Port Harcourt, people also went from Port harcourt provence to Onitsha provence. It is a lie that Ikwerres resented people from other areas coming to Port Harcourt to take their jobs, because the jobs were mainly civil service which was at the capital Enugu. Development of the wharves in PH by the eastern Nigerian government was as a result of competition with the west, and not an opportunity for resentment between residents. Remember, oil came much later.

My father bought a pice of land from the Ikwerre people, obtained a legal title for 99 years, built a house on the land; yet it was one of his Ijaw servants who turned around and claimed the house as an abandoned property and the war.

So Mr. Ibime when did River's people begin to resent Igbos, when they offered them lands to buy, when the Igbos bought the land, or after they developed the land?
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by asha80(m): 2:22am On Feb 27, 2009
Me, I don talk my own. The stories that my elders told me are what you are hearing now. My elders are no illiterates, but a Royal family who were involved in governing PH and Rivers State. If you consider it a prejudice, then hopefully this prejudice would go some way to explaining why Rivers State was divided over the Biafra issue. If Igbos are interested in unity, then they must address these long-held grouses to do with their mismanagement of the former Eastern Region and their imperialistic attitude to their former trade-partners

Well you might have a point of imperialistic attitudes of 'igbos'.However saying that the former eastern region heade by okpara was characterized by mismanagement i am not too sure because the eastern region at that time under him was regarded as the fastest growing region or zone.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by tamme: 2:24am On Feb 27, 2009
Udueze your an idiot

Many Efik people speak igbo does that make them igbo? efiks and aro's who have been mixed with each other in the past, does that make me Igbo?
Igbos and their wahala, thats why Biafra will never happen
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Ibime(m): 2:26am On Feb 27, 2009
Hehehehe. . . . tory don burst. . . . I will leave you guys to discuss my points amongst yourselves and catch you guys tomorrow. . . .
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by asha80(m): 2:28am On Feb 27, 2009
Udueze your an idiot

Many Efik people speak igbo does that make them igbo?
Igbos and their wahala, thats why Biafra will never happen

Who are the igbos?
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by tamme: 2:29am On Feb 27, 2009
You know the igbo people
stop asking me silly questions
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by asha80(m): 2:32am On Feb 27, 2009
You know the igbo people
stop asking me silly questions[/quote

Is Kanu Agabi igbo?
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by tamme: 2:34am On Feb 27, 2009
this girl is really stupid
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by asha80(m): 2:37am On Feb 27, 2009
@tamme

I repeat is Kanu Agabi igbo?I am not a girl.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by osisi2(f): 4:25am On Feb 27, 2009
Older Igbo men said that the picture of a typical Ijaw man and the riverine Igbos before the war was that a lazy labourer who drank kai kai from morning till night.
They were afraid of real work
Igbos did not take their jobs, they were simply allergic to work.
No wonder the thought of stolen goods from their more affluent,more hardworking cousins was to enticing to pass up.

So Ibime,Igbos did not take your jobs,the same things your youths are doing today,wanting to be paid for doing no work didn't start today.It started with your fathers back then.
You have to get your hands dirty to eat.
Your fore fathers may have traded in perm kennels and slaves but their offsprings sat around bearing funny names and waiting for handouts.
Who in their right minds will name a Child Goodhead and Blue Jaja?
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by osisi2(f): 4:32am On Feb 27, 2009
Osisi said she doesn't know what I call Igbolizing as if PH was not in the Eastern Region. Eastern is a Geographical expression and has nothing to do with "Igbolising". Should every Eastern city expect to be Igbolised?

I also wonder if Osisi would answer whether after Okpara built Trans-Amadi, Presidential etc (with Niger Delta oil money), did he staff all these fanciful places with indigenous Ikwerre and Ijaw people? This is what we can call economic annexation, a keynesian stimulus for Igbos, or even an artificial repopulation of PH which even the so-called Ikwerre-Igbos resisted. After shifting PH demographics to the point that PH starts to look like Onitsha, crowding out Indigenous money in the market place and increasing competition (and prices) for goods, property, jobs and services, would you not expect some resentment from the indigenes?

Now you're talking.
This is the reason I said whoever started this thread was talking rubbish
We cannot unite with a people with inferiority complex who are scared of competition, would jump at the thought of acquiring goods and property they didn't work for.
I'm sure you know that today Igbos still own a large chunk of the real estate in PH because the same lazy Ijaws and Ikwerres couldn't even hang unto their stolen real estate for too long.
They turned around to sell them back to Igbos for a few bottles of gin. lipsrsealed
Please speak no more.
You're only confirming the stereotypes about Ijaws
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by udezue(m): 4:33am On Feb 27, 2009
Tamme u are a complete slowpoke.

Are u from Arochukwu? NOPE so what concerns you? When did I say that if you are Efik and speak Igbo that makes you Igbo? Look at the fool. If Igbo is the only native or mother tongue you speak then u are Igbo. If Efik is the only native or mother tongue u got u are Efik. If u have Efik name and practice Efik customs then u are Efik not Hausa bcoz ur grandpa once told you, you migrated from Zamfara. What the hell about you now says "Hausa"? NOTHING. I am also Awka and I can tell u that some parts of Awka came from somewhere but we all see ourselves as Awka. No one is trying to start some division and start drawing up boundaries that hardly ever existed b4. Go to Amawbia aka Amaobia it means land of visitors. The people there speak the same Awka dialect. To the average Awka man they are still Awka to him they are our brothers. No one there is wasting time and energy trying to trace back and recreate some other identity to prove they are not part of the Awka area. Wherever u find urself now in 2009 is who and what you are now so to start saying I am Igala bcoz some part of my village in Onitsha came from Igala is just stupid and a way to create unnecessary division when b4 no one gave a damn about it. Be proud of your identity or identities.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by osisi2(f): 4:49am On Feb 27, 2009
Ibime:

Igbos need to learn the history of Rivers State before coming to claim any and everything that sounds Igbo.

Michael Okpara was the worst thing that ever happened to Eastern Region. If only the Premiership of Eastern region had gone to a Calabar man like one of the Ita's, Eastern Nigeria would be united today.

This problem started from Enugu. They renamed everything in PH with Igbo names. A well known relative of mine founded the Rivers State College of Technology or whatever its called now. He invited a Mr Mbonu to be a director of the school. When the papers went to Enugu for them to classify the name of the road, they chose to rename the road Mbonu Street instead of my relative's name. Mbonu Street is in present day D-Line.

This is a scene that was replicated ALL OVER PH. The same goes for the whole Rumu/Umu debate.

You cannot ask why Rivers State people are wary of Igbo people with behaviour like this. The stealing of Igbo lands after the war is not justified, but some would call it a retribution of sorts.

Igbos love to claim everything in Rivers State. Do the Igbo's know the history of the Oba and Ekpeya people of Ahoada? They are people who migrated from Benin after falling out with the Oba. Today they have merged the language of trade (Igbo) with their native language and the Igbo lay claim to them. If you see an Ahoada man, ask him about his history. Ahoada today lies between core Igbo lands and Etche and Ikwerre lands. Any presumption that lands further South than Ahoada must have Igbo ancestry should be put in perspective when we consider the Ahoada example.

My father used to do missionary work in Ihugbogo in Ahoada land and I tell you, the poverty and backwardness there is complete! You will never find such depravity in any Igbo land. The same goes for Etche. The poverty I saw with my 2 eyes in these 2 places can only be compared to the poverty I saw in Ogoni land. If the Eastern Regional Government saw these people as their Igbo brothers, I assure you they would not overlook their miserable plight. Instead they are too busy trying to lay claim to Ikwerres in PH, neglecting all the Igbo groups that lie closer to the core Igbo lands.

We are not fooled.

Igbos need to investigate the history of all these Igboid peoples before claiming them. As I have said before, Igbo was the dominant language of trade and has made its way into the languages of many tribes. There is a tribe up the Imo River called the Ndoki. This tribe are widely presumed to be Igbos. They speak Igbo and have adopted Igbo customs. The truth is that they are Ijaws who travelled up the river looking for freshwater to farm as you cannot farm in saltwater land. When they found the place, they named it "Ndokiari" which means "this is what were looking for" in Ijaw language. Today these people live as Igbos, but if you question them deeply, they will tell you they are Ijaws.

The same holds for most of the Igbo tribes in Rivers State. Ikwerres do not have a recorded history, but they are ADAMANT that they are not Igbos, although they speak a dialect of the 'language of trade' and observe some Igbo customs.

The people of the South South are no fools and resent Igbo incursion into their lands, whether they be Ikwerre, Etche, Rebisi or Ijaw.

We were put together as the Eastern Region, but some from within us decided to pursue a tribalist agenda, renaming our towns and roads, using the Eastern bank ACB as a conduit for tribal 'projects' and claiming everything within sight in the hope that they would one day reach the sea. We had no such problems when we were administered from Calabar.

Me, I don talk my own. The stories that my elders told me are what you are hearing now. My elders are no illiterates, but a Royal family who were involved in governing PH and Rivers State. If you consider it a prejudice, then hopefully this prejudice would go some way to explaining why Rivers State was divided over the Biafra issue. If Igbos are interested in unity, then they must address these long-held grouses to do with their mismanagement of the former Eastern Region and their imperialistic attitude to their former trade-partners.

Do Igbos call these people Igbos or did they identify themselves as Igbos prior to 1960?
Your elders are telling you lies.
There are historical facts that buttress the claims and show who is Igbo and who's not despite what politics say.
See these pictures or art work taken by a white man in 1930,archived somewhere with labels.
Did the Igbo man also tell the white man who was Igbo and who wasn't?

http://mccoy.lib.siu.edu/jmccall/jones/riverine.html

as for renaming umuola and umuobasi with rumu rumu
was that not an Ijaw scheme to rename clearly Igbo towns with weird sounding rivers names whatever that means
Thankfully there are people who kept records and they're there for all to see.
It may also interest you that there are Ikwerre,Etche,Ndoni and Ekpeye elders that have continually cautioned there people to stop the "we are not Igbo nonsense".
Even you the Ijaws have no problem calling them Igbo when the politics suits you and at someother times,you call them Rivers when it suits you as though Rivers is the name of a people.

BTW why are you talking of PH?
Ijaws should be talking of Bonny not PH
You folks are now a minority in Rivers state,most of you folks are in Bayelsa so you don't have any more claim to PH than an Owerri man.
It's not his state,neither is it yours.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by tamme: 4:55am On Feb 27, 2009
If Igbo is the only native or mother tongue you speak then u are Igbo angry

just look at this igbo boy, they are some efiks who speak only igbo, does that make them igbo?
your an idiot
Igbo people, no wonder obong of calabar refused to allow your eze to do rubbish in our land, kicked you people out
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by udezue(m): 5:03am On Feb 27, 2009
And where are those Efiks located @?

Ewu u know nothing about proximity and location of people.

An Arochukwu man with an Ibibio last name cannot claim pure Igbo coz its quite obvious there is Ibibio  blood there. I happen to come from a family where last names are Ibibio and 1st names are Igbo. I have no problem with any identity. I don't have cousins straight from Calabar even though some members have married Efiks, but I do know that though I speak only Igbo I know Aro dialect is mixed with Ibibio. My cousins from Awka think I'm like 50% Awka, 50% Ibibio I simply explain to them the long history or whatever and move on.  We don't deny our Ibibio roots and that is my problem with Ibime and the rest who make stuopid statements like Igbos are out to get everyone. When an Ibibio man tells me about the link with Aro ppl I don't sit there and think that Ibibios got a plan to take over Igbo ppl. WTF It is what is. U can't deny who u are.

WE DON'T HAVE IDENTITY ISSUES. WE LOVE ALL. WE LOVE OUR DIVERSITY. WE LOVE OUR HISTORY. WE WON'T BETRAY OUR PEOPLE IGBO OR IBIBIO FOR A FEW CRUMBS OR A HOUSE OR PIECE OF LAND. WE WORK FOR IT. ARO ppl have always been great. They've settle in many parts of Igbo land including Ikwerre land.

In Awka we do Egwu Igede which is common among Northern Igbos and Southern Benue groups. Igede is the name of a small ethnic group in Benue area. We don't have identity issues. We dont use our rich heritage to cause problems in Igbo land instead we use it to serve as a bridging gap.

Ibime and co should copy other Igbos, Ibibios, Idoma ppl and learn to use their links with others to promote harmony, peace and justice. When you are about to mistreat an Ijaw, Igbo, Idoma, Ibibio community just realize that these ppl are ur relatives and ur people share ancestors. Sue for peace and justice not injustice against others while claiming to have justice.

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by bawomolo(m): 5:04am On Feb 27, 2009
Older Igbo men said that the picture of a typical Ijaw man and the riverine Igbos before the war was that a lazy labourer who drank kai kai from morning till night.
They were afraid of real work
Igbos did not take their jobs, they were simply allergic to work.
No wonder the thought of stolen goods from their more affluent,more hardworking cousins was to enticing to pass up.

talk about stereotyping.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by udezue(m): 5:06am On Feb 27, 2009
Igbos were never kicked out of Calabar lol. What a fool. Quit spewing garbage jare. Go tell ur Obong to find something better to do like fight for the rights of Bakassi ppl not fight imaginary enemies.

FYI, Obong of Calabar was a the meeting organized by Igbo leaders to foster Igbo unity. The Jaja of Opobo was also at the meeting. So sweetie YOU HATE IGBO but they DON'T.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by asha80(m): 5:08am On Feb 27, 2009
just look at this igbo boy, they are some efiks who speak only igbo, does that make them igbo?
your an idiot
Igbo people, no wonder obong of calabar refused to allow your eze to do rubbish in our land, kicked you people out

i did not hear about igbos running away from calabar.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by ijawgirl: 5:11am On Feb 27, 2009
@osisi

thats just wrong, wow @ yr comments about Ijaw people
I knew that this thread was going to end up like this,
I wont say anything, well I guess,
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by asha80(m): 5:12am On Feb 27, 2009
If Igbo is the only native or mother tongue you speak then u are Igbo

Is igbo language native to efiks?Comprehension is good honey   tongue
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by udezue(m): 5:15am On Feb 27, 2009
Asha80,

The BITCH is too dense.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by tamme: 5:17am On Feb 27, 2009
few efiks do but Many Ibibios do speak igbo especially the ones who have been mixed with the igbos
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by tamme: 5:20am On Feb 27, 2009
Biafra will never happen
calabar will soon be richer than all igbo states together,  igbo people will soon start rushing to our peaceful city, more igbo to be kicked out like your eze haha
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by udezue(m): 5:22am On Feb 27, 2009
LMAO

Calabar here we come.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by tamme: 5:24am On Feb 27, 2009
Calabar to get $1.5 billion Energy City 23/1/2009

From Kunle Johnson, Calabr

The Cross River State government is to build a $1.5 billion Calabar Energy City.
The project is to begin before the end of this quarter. It is to be six times bigger than oil and gas project at Onne.

The Special Adviser to Governor Liyel Imoke on Special Projects, Mr. Eyo Ekpo, said a site had been acquired for the project at Ekorinim Peninsula.

Ekpo said the project, which would cover about 373 hectares of land, will be funded and managed through public-private partnership (PPP).

He said the engineering work for the project had been concluded and that it would have Eco-Industrial Park as one of its attractions.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by udezue(m): 5:26am On Feb 27, 2009
Please I'm calling my parents now sell off their houses in Enugu and Awka and start relocating to Calabar. grin
Hunger dey for Enugu and Anambra. We dey suffer like there is no tomorow. We dey come okay.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by asha80(m): 5:27am On Feb 27, 2009
Na today.Anambra wey don dey build refinery because of the huge gas reserves in nsugbe never make noise.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by tamme: 5:28am On Feb 27, 2009
igbo people are always running to peoples land, fulanis and igbos no difference, wanderers, you claim to be hardworking but your land is very dry, with erosions increasing everyday. Even with all the riots in North your people still cant leave because they have no home.

igbos being highest number of Nigerians leaving outside their land, no need to explain that
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by asha80(m): 5:31am On Feb 27, 2009
Like efiks and ibibios do not migrate grin
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by tamme: 5:35am On Feb 27, 2009
compared to the igbos?

Igbos are even scared to go back home, my aunty is married to an igbo man, when she goes to his dirty village during the christmas time, she has to pray everytime, lots of evil people there, her husband even scared to go back home, he has to be careful about hs own relatives so they wont juju him and steal all his money
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by asha80(m): 5:39am On Feb 27, 2009
My dear stop speaking with emotions.There is no way efiks and ibibios will migrate like igbos because igbos have far larger population than them.Go to kano ,kaduna,lagos,abuja and even owerri to see the no of efiks and ibibios there.

Do not let say what are known for in owerri. grin
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by tamme: 5:39am On Feb 27, 2009
AFREXIM Bank finances $36m Tinapa monorail

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AFREXIM Bank finances $36m Tinapa monorail

The multi-billion naira Tinapa Business and Leisure Resort Limited has received a major infrastructural boost as the Africa Export-Import Bank (AFREXIM Bank) has accepted to finance the development of a monorail to the tune of $36-million.
BEN EGUZOZIE, Calabar

At the formal signing of the framework agreement of the project in Calabar, the president of AFREXIM Bank, Jean Louis Ekra, said the Cairo-based continental trade and investment financing institution was impressed with the magnitude of the Tinapa project, which he described as a replica of the Dubai trading hub in Africa.

By the framework agreement, AFREXIM Bank would provide a $36-million project financing for the building of a 12-km light rail link between the Margaret Ekpo International Airport, Calabar and the Tinapa Business Resort. The essence would be to position Tinapa as a major intra-African trading hub.

Known as the Calabar Monorail Limited, the rail link would ease off traffic on the Murtala Mohammed highway, which is the sole entry and exit in Calabar, the state capital.

The AFREXIM president said the monorail would convey goods and personnel to and from the Tinapa to assure a free movement of vehicular traffic within the Calabar metropolis, regardless of the expected inflow of over three million visitors yearly to Tinapa.

It is expected that visitors and tourists to Tinapa would be transported by a direct light rail link in about 15 minutes to and from the Margaret Ekpo International Airport, Calabar.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (25) (Reply)

Who Is Superior Between Alaafin Of Oyo And The Ooni Of Ife??? / Badirat Olaitan-adeyemi Donates To School For The Handicap In Oyo (photos) / ‘Amadioha With Swag’ - Dancing Masquerade Thrills Spectators With Dance Skills

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.