Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:02 AM

Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite (47656 Views)

Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) / Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. / An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by asha80(m): 1:05am On Feb 26, 2009
How did free borns marry slaves
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Abagworo(m): 1:09am On Feb 26, 2009
Who do we back when presidency returns to the south?thats the question.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by osisi2(f): 1:10am On Feb 26, 2009
That was why I asked the original question.
Who has ever heard where a few slaves caused a whole community to start speaking their language even hundreds of years later?
Or were these slaves more in number than the indigenes?

I lived in PH and most Opobo,Bonny and Okirika people of my parent's age spoke fluent Igbo
Infact they conversed in Igbo amongst themselves

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by osisi2(f): 1:11am On Feb 26, 2009
ijaw_girl:

How did slaves make non-slaves speak their (slave) language?

Lmao thats so easy, intermarriage and trade
apart from the language what else? What other similarities?

and how come Igbos don't speak Igbani ?
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by ijawgirl: 1:13am On Feb 26, 2009
huh? Many Okrikas, kalabaris, igbanis can speak igbo? yes we all know that
so what are you trying to say?
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by asha80(m): 1:14am On Feb 26, 2009
Who do we back when presidency returns to the south?thats the question.

Is this relevant to the topic
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by osisi2(f): 1:15am On Feb 26, 2009
Abagworo:

this thread is meant to be on how we should all support Goodluck Jonathan,Orji Uzor Kalu,Peter Odili and Chibuike Amaechi for presidency in 2011 and not about our origins.we should form a formidable force and end the divide and rule amongst us being promoted by nigerian state.

Any Igbo man that denies his Igbo roots like Odili and co will not be supported period!
I'll rather vote for an Ijaw man named Andrew Simon-Hart that's proud of his Ijaw heritage than an Ikwerre man that denies his God given roots
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by osisi2(f): 1:17am On Feb 26, 2009
ijaw_girl:

huh? Many Okrikas, kalabaris, igbanis can speak igbo? yes we all know that
so what are you trying to say?

I'm not trying to say anything you don't already know or sense
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by ijawgirl: 1:18am On Feb 26, 2009
Pls I dont know, say it? your scared? undecided
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by asha80(m): 1:25am On Feb 26, 2009
How do we unite when you made that statement that i am refering to?If we want unification some things have to be thrashed out first.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by osisi2(f): 1:35am On Feb 26, 2009
ijaw_girl:

Pls I dont know, say it? your scared? undecided

scared?
ROFL
stay tuned
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by ijawgirl: 1:36am On Feb 26, 2009
okay am listening
say what you want to say, osisi
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by osisi2(f): 1:39am On Feb 26, 2009
We are not uniting anything.
we only need to leave peaceably with one another period.
The so called abandoned property stolen by Ijaws  and their opportunistic tendencies after the fall of Biafra is still fresh in peoples minds.
Who was the Ijaw leader that betrayed Biafra only to be murdered like a common criminal by Nigerian troops.
You can't unite with people you can't trust.
and people who have innate hatred for your people despite the fact that many of their ancestors are Igbos are not the ideal folks to be uniting with.
The only group of people Igbos should be uniting with if it comes to that are Akwa Ibom and cross river folks i.e Anang,Eket,Ibibio,Efik etc.
We have lived peacably with no betrayal on either side and intermarried for years and have a whole lot in common including looks and festivals
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by ijawgirl: 1:41am On Feb 26, 2009
whatever smiley
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Nobody: 1:47am On Feb 26, 2009
**osisi:

We are not uniting anything.
we only need to leave peaceably with one another period.
The so called abandoned property stolen by Ijaws  and their opportunistic tendencies after the fall of Biafra is still fresh in peoples minds.
Who was the Ijaw man that betrayed Biafra only to be murdered by Nigerian troops.
You can't unite with people you can't trust.
and people who have innate hatred for your people despite the fact that many of their ancestors are Igbos

Of what sense does it make to continue to hold on to the past, esp if it damages  the country as a whole?

If all Nigerians still "holds on to that memory" , as you do, then I gladly anticipate the fall of Nigerria.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by tamme: 1:51am On Feb 26, 2009
@Osisi

Efik and Ibibio people are not going to unite with igbos, neverrrrrrrrrrr angry
my people will never
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by osisi2(f): 1:54am On Feb 26, 2009
HeatFusion:

Of what sense does it make to continue to hold on to the past, esp if it damages  the country as a whole?

If all Nigerians still"holds on to that memory" as you do, then I gladly anticipate the fall of Nigerria.

It's easy to call it a memory
I have an aunt that spent over 25 years in probate court trying to get back her late fathers property stolen by Ijaws after the war.
She just recovered it a few years ago
There are many who were not that lucky.
Igbos that fled western and northern Nigeria got their property back after the war yet their next door neighbors called Ijaws stole their hard earned sweat because a rogue governor declared it abandoned.
All Igbos know this history my dear.

Secondly,when Odili the then Rivers state governor wanted to campaign for presidency.
It was the same Ijaw people that maligned him and reminded him he was an Igbo man and thereby couldn't represent the SS as a presidential candidate.
They hate Igbos
We couldn't be bothered by them
we don't need them
they need us
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by osisi2(f): 1:55am On Feb 26, 2009
tamme:

@Osisi

Efik and Ibibio people are not going to unite with igbos, neverrrrrrrrrrr angry
my people will never

My brothers are already marrying and making babies with many of your women anyway
so we have united already grin
at least on king sized beds
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by tamme: 1:58am On Feb 26, 2009
grin How about Yoruba men that marry igbo girls.
does that mean igbo and yoruba's should unite? ewu
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-238608.0.html
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by osisi2(f): 2:00am On Feb 26, 2009
tamme:

grin How about Yoruba men that marry igbo girls.
does that mean igbo and yoruba's should unite? ewu
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-238608.0.html

see you're already speaking Igbo
The unity has already started grin
The rest of Nigeria calls you Igbo in case you don't know
Go to Lagos,they'll call you omo Ibo
You better wear the unity with pride ma dear wink
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by asha80(m): 2:02am On Feb 26, 2009
I wonder why we are disturbing ourselves.Most guys in the present southsouth want nothing to do with igbos so why bother?
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by tamme: 2:05am On Feb 26, 2009
Please we will make our own nation,  smiley
igbos your wahala is too much
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by osisi2(f): 2:05am On Feb 26, 2009
asha 80:

I wonder why we are disturbing ourselves.Most guys in the present southsouth want nothing to do with igbos so why bother?

Exactly ma point.
The Igbos in south south  after the war denied they were Igbos and turned their local govt areas into tribes because it was uncool to be from a "defeated" group
Until they need someting from Nigeria and find out the Ijaws will kick them in the groin and they remember to come to Ohaneze and try to identify with their God given roots.
Let everyone answer his fathers name abeg
let's live in peace,that's all
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by osisi2(f): 2:06am On Feb 26, 2009
tamme:

Please we will make our own nation, smiley
igbos your wahala is too much

look at this slowpoke
Go and tell that to Col Effiong and the many other Cross riverians that fought and died for Biafra
ewu grin
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by tamme: 2:09am On Feb 26, 2009
hehe that one na 1970 this is 2009
Igbos make ona go sef your wahala odikwa serious too much cool
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by osisi2(f): 2:11am On Feb 26, 2009
na you talk am
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by asha80(m): 2:12am On Feb 26, 2009
hehe that one na 1970 this is 2009
Igbos make ona go sef your wahala odikwa serious too much

I wonder how udezue would feel about the above statement?
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Tonim(f): 2:26am On Feb 26, 2009
asha 80:

exactly !

I met an ijaw guy in the states and he was keen on their own identity completely different from igbos.

He said igbos want to form a country with them so they can be a majority and they are not having it.

I know for a fact that calabar people feel the same way too. A calabar man told me that if biafra
had succeeded, calabar was going to be re-named new onitsha.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Jaylon(m): 2:46am On Feb 26, 2009
Laudable, but I personally don't see it happening
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by RichyBlacK(m): 2:52am On Feb 26, 2009
ijaw_girl:

whatever  smiley

Alright, take home assignment for my ijaw_girl grin:

1. Read History of Igbo People by Elizabeth Isichei

The book may help you clarify some issues you're confused about.

Igbos were NEVER slaves to Ijaws or ANY of the riverine communities. The indigenous slave dealers (which comprised mainly Igbos of the Aro stock) were working with the white man to capture slaves from anywhere, preferably near the coast (the reasons are obvious - largely economic) and it just happened that most of the slaves were Igbos. Reason? The huge population of Igbos in those areas.

So, don't come up here trying to distort history by tacitly implying that riverine communities captured Igbos as slaves. That did not happen and couldn't have happened. Even Jaja of Opobo, a well known slave profiteer, was an Igbo man.

Just trying to save you from yourself, in case you go to a gathering of 'elders' who are aware of the history. I no wan make you go misyarn grin.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by RichyBlacK(m): 2:57am On Feb 26, 2009
**osisi:

Exactly ma point.
The Igbos in south south  after the war denied they were Igbos and turned their local govt areas into tribes because it was uncool to be from a "defeated" group
Until they need someting from Nigeria and find out the Ijaws will kick them in the groin and they remember to come to Ohaneze and try to identify with their God given roots.
Let everyone answer his fathers name abeg
let's live in peace,that's all

The truthiness grin in the above is 100%.

Other culprits were the Igbos in present Delta State then Mid-Western Region. Some of them will still argue from now till tomorrow that they are not really Igbos. It really chuckles me up. grin
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by ijawgirl: 3:14am On Feb 26, 2009
@Richyblack, Please I know my history, You dont know what your talking abt

The Aro had treaties with the coastal ports from which slaves were exported, especially Calabar, Bonny, and Elem Kalabari. The people of Calabar were Efik, a subsection of Ibibio, while Bonny and Elem Kalabari were Ijaw towns.

The Ijaw, who occupied the tidal area in proximity to the Igbo,  living from the sale of  fish and sea salt to the inland communities for centuries before the rise of the slave trade. Traditionally, they had lived in federated groups of villages with the head of the ranking village presiding over general assemblies attended by all the males. During the heyday of the slave trade in the eighteenth century, the major Ijaw villages grew into big cities.  Their economies were based on the facilities they offered to slave traders. They were entrepreneurial communities, receiving slaves from the Aro for resale to European agents. Personal wealth rather than status within a lineage group was the basis for political power and social status. Government typically was conducted by councils composed of leading merchants and headed by an amanyanabo (chief executive), an office that in time became hereditary.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply)

N1M Bride Price List Including 10k For Father's Cigarette, 20K Bush Meat, Others / MGL Birthday Wishes / Oyinbo Man Dances For Ooni Ogunwusi & His Crew - See Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.