Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,478 members, 7,816,129 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:04 AM

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog (26253 Views)

Is Cucumber A Fruit Or A Vegetable? / Multipurpose Tractors For Cultivating, Planting & Harvesting / Cultivating Watermelon - A Blog (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog by dont8(m): 5:59pm On Aug 01, 2015
Neduzze5:

It takes three months only.

And needs a lot of water. So you can plant February, harvest between April/May, then replant May and harvest July/August.

On the other hand, you can prepare three to four different plots of land, plant each plot per month starting from April. This is to ensure that the plants are directly watered by rain fall thereby saving you the stress of watering them daily.
Well done Neduzze5, my question is this, are you doing this for commercial purpose or just for hobby?

1 Like

Re: Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog by slimtik(m): 4:09am On Aug 02, 2015
Well done on your cucumber endeavour. Please where in PH did u get your seeds? Let's have the address/phone number. Thanks bro
Re: Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog by Neduzze5(m): 11:09am On Aug 02, 2015
ephi123:

Okay, thank you for the response. Wish you the very best with it.

Thank you dear and a Happy Sunday to you.
Re: Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog by Neduzze5(m): 11:10am On Aug 02, 2015
masties2:
OP, well done o. Thanks to you I have seen cucumber leaves for the first time in my life.

Am also impressed to know that people are farming cucumbers, watermelon etc in P.H, Owerri etc. I erroneously believed these fruits can only grow in the North. Much appreciation for a work well done!

Yeah, I felt so too until someone on this forum made me know that. And, for me, this is the first time I'm seeing cucumber leaves in "real" life

1 Like

Re: Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog by Neduzze5(m): 11:11am On Aug 02, 2015
Alfranco:

Nice bro. Staking will enhance yield and check rots of cucumber.

Yeah, that's true and that's why I made sure to stake
Re: Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog by Neduzze5(m): 11:12am On Aug 02, 2015
enolife:
Good work bros
Am learning sometime valuable from you.
I will contact you soon

You're welcome boss. You can PM me any time you feel like
Re: Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog by Neduzze5(m): 11:15am On Aug 02, 2015
dont8:
Well done Neduzze5, my question is this, are you doing this for commercial purpose or just for hobby?

I decided to test the waters first with one foot. When I'm sure that it is not too deep, I can now enter firmly with my two feet.

In essence, this was just a test run, to know if it can do very well here in Rivers state, learn the rudiments of farming cucumber and prepare to enter into commercial cucumber farming.

1 Like

Re: Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog by Neduzze5(m): 11:16am On Aug 02, 2015
slimtik:
Well done on your cucumber endeavour. Please where in PH did u get your seeds? Let's have the address/phone number. Thanks bro

I got it at OilMill bus stop.

Name of the place is Agritropic
Call Mr. Daniel -08035.384128
Re: Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog by Alfranco(m): 12:49pm On Aug 02, 2015
Neduzze5:

Yeah, that's true and that's why I made sure to stake

Good luck on your endeavor bro. If our I our tomato growers apply stakes, they'll experience similar improvement on extra effort.
Re: Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog by emonkey(m): 1:13pm On Aug 02, 2015
@RAKITIK @Neduzze5
How can I prevent my young plants from being eaten by insects and snails ? I always have a problem with these.
Re: Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog by enolife(m): 2:34pm On Aug 02, 2015
Neduzze5:

You're welcome boss. You can PM me any time you feel like
Thanks alot
Re: Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog by Neduzze5(m): 11:18am On Aug 03, 2015
emonkey:
@RAKITIK @Neduzze5
How can I prevent my young plants from being eaten by insects and snails ? I always have a problem with these.

My own problem is with the ants... I have not yet found a means of taking them out. As for the snails, you can catch them and domesticate them. They are another source of making money.
Re: Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog by Neduzze5(m): 11:23am On Aug 03, 2015
Alfranco:

Good luck on your endeavor bro. If our I our tomato growers apply stakes, they'll experience similar improvement on extra effort.

That's really true. I saw this picture yesterday and was amazed.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog by Neduzze5(m): 11:29am On Aug 03, 2015
Was finally able to make a calculation and deduce where I stopped counting

Today makes it Day 48 since planting and this is what I saw in the farm today. Soo beautiful!! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog by enolife(m): 12:19pm On Aug 03, 2015
Neduzze5:

That's really true. I saw this picture yesterday and was amazed.
Is that not strawberry
Re: Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog by enolife(m): 12:22pm On Aug 03, 2015
Neduzze5:
Was finally able to make a calculation and deduce where I stopped counting

Today makes it Day 48 since planting and this is what I saw in the farm today. Soo beautiful!! cheesy
you for let it grow on sticks so that the fruit can grow well
Re: Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog by jordyspices: 3:24pm On Aug 03, 2015
Neduzze5:
Please don't laugh when you go through my profile and see that in the past three weeks, I've opened almost four threads on different agricultural products.

The first thought that might come to your mind is that "This guy don swear say him must farm by fire by force" grin

But the fact remains that I am fascinated by agriculture, how the food we eat is produced and the "power" of agriculture.

Don't ask me what I mean when I enclosed power. cool

So two days back, on exactly the same day I planted watermelon, I equally planted cucumber

Thanks to Jasper7, Olamimo12 and some other peeps, I garnered enough knowledge of planting cucumber and I set out at once to cultivate it here in Rivers State in small quantity though.

Last week, I made my ridges for the cucumber... On Monday, I bought the Cucumber seeds from Agritropics at Oilmill bus stop via the help of Soloxam.

On Wednesday 17th June 2015, I planted the cucumber seeds.

Picture is that of the ridges made for planting the cucumber seeds.
goodevening sir have been following ur thread am in ph nd I would love to plant cucumber must I go thru someone before I could buy the seed pls my email is carlsonekeke@gmail.com would like ur quick response thank u nd God bless
Re: Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog by Neduzze5(m): 4:37pm On Aug 03, 2015
enolife:

Is that not strawberry

No... That is Tomato
Re: Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog by Neduzze5(m): 4:38pm On Aug 03, 2015
enolife:

you for let it grow on sticks so that the fruit can grow well

Yeah... That's called staking. Or trellising. I've actually done that but you know not all fruits will hang on the trellis. Some will be on the ground.
Re: Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog by Neduzze5(m): 4:39pm On Aug 03, 2015
jordyspices:
goodevening sir have been following ur thread am in ph nd I would love to plant cucumber must I go thru someone before I could buy the seed pls my email is carlsonekeke@gmail.com would like ur quick response thank u nd God bless

You can get it at Oil mill bus stop at Port Harcourt.
Re: Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog by enolife(m): 6:47pm On Aug 03, 2015
Neduzze5:

Yeah... That's called staking. Or trellising. I've actually done that but you know not all fruits will hang on the trellis. Some will be on the ground.
Ok, Keep the fire burning it will pay you well tomorrow
Re: Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog by enolife(m): 6:50pm On Aug 03, 2015
Neduzze5:

No... That is Tomato
Oh my God, Tomato in form of canopy. please do more research that variety or the way it was planted..... I like what am seeing
Re: Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog by emonkey(m): 6:53pm On Aug 03, 2015
Neduzze5:

My own problem is with the ants... I have not yet found a means of taking them out. As for the snails, you can catch them and domesticate them. They are another source of making money.

Do those small snails grow. I thought that was how the species are and they can never be as big as the giant ones
Re: Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog by Neduzze5(m): 6:59pm On Aug 03, 2015
emonkey:

Do those small snails grow. I thought that was how the species are and they can never be as big as the giant ones

Yeah... They grow... There are some species that don't grow especially those that have a standard V shape
Re: Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog by Neduzze5(m): 7:00pm On Aug 03, 2015
enolife:

Oh my God, Tomato in form of canopy. please do more research that variety or the way it was planted..... I like what am seeing

I will do that. But you equally have to note that it was planted in a greenhouse.
Re: Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog by enolife(m): 7:12pm On Aug 03, 2015
Neduzze5:

I will do that. But you equally have to note that it was planted in a greenhouse.
what do you mean by green house
Re: Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog by emonkey(m): 7:32pm On Aug 03, 2015
Neduzze5:

Yeah... They grow... There are some species that don't grow especially those that have a standard V shape
Those are the ones in my garden. They are very destructive to young plants
Re: Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog by Neduzze5(m): 3:12pm On Aug 04, 2015
enolife:

what do you mean by green house

A green house is a sort of housing built solely for planting certain crops in such a way that the necessary elements for the germination and growth of those crops are controlled by man. For example, rain, sunshine, pests etc.

For example, Tomatoes need about 5 hours of sunshine daily. If its in the dry season where sun shines everyday, you can use a green house, after 5 hours, you close it up to keep off the sunshine from coming in.

Hope I've explained enough so as for you to understand

2 Likes

Re: Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog by Neduzze5(m): 3:14pm On Aug 04, 2015
emonkey:

Those are the ones in my garden. They are very destructive to young plants

I don't know what you can really do about them but you can pick them up whenever you see them and throw them away cos I don't really know if pesticides can work on them.
Re: Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog by enolife(m): 3:22pm On Aug 04, 2015
Neduzze5:

A green house is a sort of housing built solely for planting certain crops in such a way that the necessary elements for the germination and growth of those crops are controlled by man. For example, rain, sunshine, pests etc.

For example, Tomatoes need about 5 hours of sunshine daily. If its in the dry season where sun shines everyday, you can use a green house, after 5 hours, you close it up to keep off the sunshine from coming in.

Hope I've explained enough so as for you to understand
yes, thanks so much
Re: Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog by Neduzze5(m): 8:17pm On Aug 04, 2015
enolife:

yes, thanks so much

You're welcome.
Re: Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog by enolife(m): 7:31pm On Aug 18, 2015
Neduzze5:

You're welcome.
please updating the info about you cucumber

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Watermelon Business Secret(The fruit can make you rich within 75-80days) / PHOTOS: Eko Rice Will Be Ready In Six Months- Akinwunmi Ambode / Cost And Returns Of Broiler Production

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.