Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,748 members, 7,817,064 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:37 AM

The Sciences Discussion Thread. - Science/Technology (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / The Sciences Discussion Thread. (68779 Views)

Universe Or Multiverse. (A Discussion) / Who Has Seen Smartbird? Discussion Thread For Novel ways to fly. / Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 1:54pm On Jun 21, 2015
Freemanan:

Mate, How can mathematics be the backbone of natural science when natural science predates mathematics?? Help me out here.... BEFORE applied mathematics was scribbled by Archimedes, natural science has been a popular discipline... so Mate...... Loopholes everywhere.
Dude! Chill, we are not talking about applied mathematics. We are talking about pure mathematics here. Which involves counting, logic . . . these things predate natural science! If you want to talk about applied mathematics, I won't argue with you. But pure mathematics, as its name implies, is pure . . . and since it follows the procedures of scientism, it can be referred to as pure science.

Let's just say mathematics is the only pure science that is not natural.

3 Likes

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 1:55pm On Jun 21, 2015
ITbomb:

There is actually one thing that puzzle me, I don't know if you can give me a headway.
Why do we have different blood group?
mutation!
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by dhsfbi(m): 1:55pm On Jun 21, 2015
Chemical Engineering student, but will like to be more of a chemist that an Engineer.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 1:56pm On Jun 21, 2015
BigBen10:

okay final question. what is your area of expertise? are you a lecturer? or how are you connected to science?
I am an autodidact. I have a very great interest for all things science. And it is actually a dream of mine to become a lecturer. smiley

1 Like

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 1:57pm On Jun 21, 2015
Teempakguy:
Don't mind those people!
Here is the full statement of the law.

A body shall remain at rest or move in a straight line unless UNBALANCED forces act on it. cool
Newton's laws are valid only in an inertial reference frame. With this in mind, you will know the three laws are sequencial....
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 1:58pm On Jun 21, 2015
Freemanan:

Newton's laws are valid only in an inertial reference frame. With this in mind, you will know the three laws are sequencial....
yes, I know that. Relativity is an annoying fact. angry
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 1:59pm On Jun 21, 2015
Freemanan:

Mate, How can mathematics be the backbone of natural science when natural science predates mathematics?? Help me out here.... BEFORE applied mathematics was scribbled by Archimedes, natural science has been a popular discipline... so Mate...... Loopholes everywhere.

I think there is need to understand the basic point of mathematics. . . Natural science is represented in mathematical notion in initial forms, it is in this form of mathematics that study takes roots... example is Einstein's theory of general relativity, mathematical representation E=mc2. . and by the way mathematics was already in use in Egypt, sumer and even maya before Archimedes even dreamt of existing thousands of years later

1 Like

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Cindino20(m): 1:59pm On Jun 21, 2015
Mbkite:
Nice thread.
I hv a little doubt on Newton's 1st of motion which states that "a body wil continue in its state of rest or uniform motion in a straight line, unless it's being acted upon by a FORCE"
D Problem I have with dis Law is that d magnitude of d force in question is not considered. For example, if a little child of 4yrs uses all his power to hit a big Iroko tree would dere be any change in position. I therefore propose that "a force of equal or higher magnitude be added to that Law" #MyPersonalOpinion.

The condition for that law is that the net force is equal to zero..Unfortunately the gravitational force of the earth id acting on almost everything on eatth.since the net force of the tree is not zero....F=mass of tree × g (9.8 ).the child cannot move the iroko tree...on the other hand if the net force is zero...then the law holds....in the event that the net force is not equal to zero one must apply a force that exceeds the net force of the object.

I hope this helps.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 2:00pm On Jun 21, 2015
anyi5:

...... Already promoting the motion... Keep moving it...
thanks bro.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by gamaliel121(m): 2:00pm On Jun 21, 2015
I agree with you totally!! Am a physics student and am gonna be following you up...bumper to bumper...lol coolI agree with you totally!! Am a physics student and am gonna be following you up...bumper to bumper...lol
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Cindino20(m): 2:00pm On Jun 21, 2015
dhsfbi:
Chemical Engineering student, but will like to be more of a chemist that an Engineer.

Welcome ...Chemistry is fun

1 Like

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jun 21, 2015
johnydon22:

I think there is need to understand the basic point of mathematics. . . Natural science is represented in mathematical notion in initial forms, it is in this form of mathematics that study takes roots... example is Einstein's theory of general relativity, mathematical representation E=mc2. . and by the way mathematics was already in use in Egypt, sumer and even maya before Archimedes even dreamt of existing thousands of years later
exactly.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by dubylhover(m): 2:01pm On Jun 21, 2015
Teempakguy:
Ah, yes. We don't know. But, Stephen hawking thinks it is multiple versions of ourselves. sad

fringe grin
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 2:02pm On Jun 21, 2015
johnydon22:

Greek astrologers and Chemist were in no way influenced by Egyptian mathematics. SO my question remains unanswered. Ionian chemists then made use of zero mathematics in their works yet you assert that mathematics is the backbone of natural science.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by ITbomb(m): 2:02pm On Jun 21, 2015
Teempakguy:
mutation!
Why and when did this mutation stopped.
Does it means we should be expecting more groups in a couple of decades or centuries
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 2:02pm On Jun 21, 2015
gamaliel121:
I agree with you totally!!
Am a physics student and am gonna be following you up...bumper to bumper...lol
coolI agree with you totally!!
Am a physics student and am gonna be following you up...bumper to bumper...lol
Hi there . . . bumper to bumper?
No problem. You are welcome. I also intend to learn something from you. shocked cool
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 2:04pm On Jun 21, 2015
ITbomb:

Why and when did this mutation stopped.
Does it means we should be expecting more groups in a couple of decades or centuries
nah, we will probably evolve into another species before that happens.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 2:04pm On Jun 21, 2015
Teempakguy:
yes, I know that. Relativity is an annoying fact. angry
Lol grin
Galileo differs tho....
My Philosophy of science lecturer Hates anything Newton...
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 2:05pm On Jun 21, 2015
Teempakguy:
Dude! Chill, we are not talking about applied mathematics. We are talking about pure mathematics here. Which involves counting, logic . . . these things predate natural science! If you want to talk about applied mathematics, I won't argue with you. But pure mathematics, as its name implies, is pure . . . and since it follows the procedures of scientism, it can be referred to as pure science.

Let's just say mathematics is the only pure science that is not natural.
You Just twisted my brain Mate.... Love it tho.
Thanks grin
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Ogbehadanyel(m): 2:06pm On Jun 21, 2015
What would u do if ur girl dat u av dated 4 3years abandon u and now she z planing of gettin maried to ur cousin.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 2:08pm On Jun 21, 2015
Freemanan:

Greek astrologers and Chemist were in no way influenced by Egyptian mathematics. SO my question remains unanswered. Ionian chemists then made use of zero mathematics in their works yet you assert that mathematics is the backbone of natural science.
your first sentence is very wrong. Greek mathematics is follow up of Babylonian mathematics. Which was influenced by Egyptian mathematics. Pythagoras theorem was invented by the egyptians. Yet it is the most prevalent form of mathematics in Greek literature. Even Euclid was influenced by the way Egyptians used mathematics to solve their engineering problems while building the pyramid. I have his book. The elements.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by ITbomb(m): 2:09pm On Jun 21, 2015
Teempakguy:
nah, we will probably evolve into another species before that happens.
Do you believe in the Bible especially the creation story or you are
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Horlufemi(m): 2:10pm On Jun 21, 2015
Teempakguy:
Hi there!
I'm actually a teetotaler, so . . . if you have LA casera. cheesy
I still don't understand why it was banned though. It has been here for decades and it had not killed anybody. Now it kills a few and the government quickly bans it without extensive research? That sounds wrong. And, typical of naija. cheesy
Now, let's get to your question. wink

Natural selection.

This once highly controversial conjecture basically means that in life, two things happen constantly.
1. Things change.
2. The fittest survives.

In every generation, there is a slight change in the genetic make up of organisms. For instance, some people are tall, others are short, it is a mixture of their parent's genes. Some people see more red than others, some are exceptionally brilliant, like everyone on this thread grin
Now, having all these different characteristics, nature seeks to blend it. In fact, nature wants every member of each species to look and act exactly the same. wink. Which is why, for a specific location, after having all these impressive traits, NATURAL SELECTION begins. The variations most suited to that environment survive. While the ones that don't die out. For instance, if that terrain requires constant running and/or athletics, the muscular ones will become prevalent. Simply because the lean ones have died out because they did not meet up to the standards.

This explains races . . . species . . . and a lot of impressive stuff. Individual members of species keep changing. And nature "tests" those changes to see which will stand the test of time. in the process, new species emerge. shocked shocked
But one may ask, why? How? Why do these organisms change? What is going on here? Well, that brings us to your second concept.

genetic mutation

Imagine you are typing fast on your computer. And you make mistakes. Usually, you can just erase them. But what if you couldn't? shocked what if your computer doesn't have a backspace button and any mistake you make is permanent? shocked let me guess, that would suck, right?
Unfortunately, or not . . . that is what nature has to work with. During meiosis, DNA doesn't always get typed exactly as it should be. It makes mistakes . . . oversights . . . Typos!
So this means everyone has numerous mistakes in their genetic make up. Which . . . they cannot erase. These mistakes are called genetic mutation and are the basis for natural selection because nature has to find a way to deal with these mistakes, so, it kind of thinks, which of these mistakes can we pass off as a new style?
And that . . . is the best layman explanation I can offer. It is an oversimplification, but. I hope you got it.

Feel free to ask any questions. If I can't answer them, there will be other experts. wink

Cheers!

Please don't listen to everything oyinbo says. You are right on Natural selection but when it comes to mutation you are wrong. New species can't come from another species. A dog will always be a dog. Humans will always be human. Dolphins will always be dolphins. Try and read Darwin's doubt. You'll find out that Darwin is crap. Yes I said it. His book should be called variation of species not origin of species. There's too much magic in Evolution. It requires too much blind faith.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 2:10pm On Jun 21, 2015
Freemanan:

Lol grin
Galileo differs tho....
My Philosophy of science lecturer Hates anything Newton...
yeah . . . he fooled us for centuries with that annoying equation of gravitational force. Breaking Descartes first principle. but, he tried nah. cheesy
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 2:11pm On Jun 21, 2015
Freemanan:

Greek astrologers and Chemist were in no way influenced by Egyptian mathematics.
I think this is not so, Greek knowledge on astrology and other sciences were greatly influenced by the more ancient forms of the this branch of science just as this ancient studies influenced ours too like we still study Pythagoras theorem thousands of years after him, but yet Pythagoras himself was a student of the Egyptian Mystery school

SO my question remains unanswered. Ionian chemists then made use of zero mathematics in their works yet you assert that mathematics is the backbone of natural science.
Chemistry itself is a mathematical representation of the chemical properties of an element. . I think you are misunderstanding the context of the mathematics in reference here
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by XploraBen(m): 2:11pm On Jun 21, 2015
I'm just beginning to like mathematics,and that's because it gives you the ability to think out of a definite scope.It's such a subject that will make one smart and ingenious! Though some folks still hate it.

**eating chocolates can improve your maths skill**
#fact

1 Like

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by RobinHez(m): 2:14pm On Jun 21, 2015
Anyone to explain "black hole" to me
Johnydon22
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 2:14pm On Jun 21, 2015
Teempakguy:
your first sentence is very wrong. Greek mathematics is follow up of Babylonian mathematics. Which was influenced by Egyptian mathematics. Pythagoras theorem was invented by the egyptians. Yet it is the most prevalent form of mathematics in Greek literature. Even Euclid was influenced by the way Egyptians used mathematics to solve their engineering problems while building the pyramid. I have his book. The elements.

Aye Mate... I Just confirmed that.much of the Greek and non-Greek astronomers/scientists working in the Greek tradition studied at the Musaeum and the Library of Alexandria in Ptolemaic Egypt.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 2:14pm On Jun 21, 2015
Horlufemi:

Please don't listen to everything oyinbo says. You are right on Natural selection but when it comes to mutation you are wrong. New species can't come from another species. A dog will always be a dog. Humans will always be human. Dolphins will always be dolphins. Try and read Darwin's doubt. You'll find out that Darwin is crap. Yes I said it. His book should be called variation of species not origin of species. There's too much magic in Evolution. It requires too much blind faith.
I was merely explaining what oyinbo says to him as he requested. sad
BTW, have you heard of that guy that can read in near darkness? Like a cat? I heard he was from China. Did you also know that on average, humans are getting taller? Did you also know that the black hair is becoming more circular and is becoming more like that of the whites? On average?
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Cindino20(m): 2:15pm On Jun 21, 2015
The molar mass of water is approx. 18g/mol and the molar mass of ethanol(alcohol) is about 46g/mol...The boiling point of water and ethanol @ SVP is 100 Celsius and 78.3 Celsius respectivey...Now the question is why will a relatively small moelcule like water has a higher boiling point than a large morlecule (ethanol).

Answer:

Hydrogen Bonding... hydrogen bond is the electrostatic attraction between polar molecules that occurs when a hydrogen (H) atom bound to a highly electronegative atom such as oxygen (O) . The hydrogen bonding in water molecule is of course stronger than the hydrogen bonds in ethanol.

Chemistry is fun

1 Like

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by toluine56(m): 2:15pm On Jun 21, 2015
Teempakguy:
yes, but, if they did, everyone would pass. cheesy and if everyone passed . . . .hmm!
I bet, not everyone would pass still
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 2:15pm On Jun 21, 2015
RobinHez:
Anyone to explain "black hole" to me

Johnydon22
may I?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (34) (Reply)

Scientists Successfully Reverse Human Ageing Process (Pics) / Escaped Lion Found In Kano Zoo After Devouring Goats In Their Cage / Rare Orange-Eyed Owl Not Seen For Almost 125 Years Is Spotted In Malaysia (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.