Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,706 members, 7,816,904 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:48 PM

The Sciences Discussion Thread. - Science/Technology (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / The Sciences Discussion Thread. (68773 Views)

Universe Or Multiverse. (A Discussion) / Who Has Seen Smartbird? Discussion Thread For Novel ways to fly. / Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 4:25pm On Jun 21, 2015
MarkJessy:
I am in. My discipline is philosophy and i major in philosophy of science. By d way it was in d 17th century dat physics became an independent discipline. Prior to dat time, it was known as Natural Philosophy.
Welcome bro, Huge fan of philosophy here. . . It is well known that every branch of knowledge has its roots in philosophy even beliefs.

It was philosophy that started or proposed the questions. . and these questions gave birth to methods of answering them.

Religion and theology proposed answers that are meant to be believed without questions.…e.g: philosophy: Why does the rain fall? religion answers: a God did it.

Science approaches the question through study, research, observations and experiment and proposes answers that are always open to more study.
e.g: Philosophy: Why does it rain? scientific answer: Water circle

Not just physics bro, every branch of study was once a seed in the immerse depth of philosophical questions. . . No wonder is it Philo = Love & Sofia= wisdom. . . Love of wisdom

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by dhsfbi(m): 4:27pm On Jun 21, 2015
Cindino20:

Welcome ...Chemistry is fun
Thanks bro... i know it is.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Bhenehdikt(m): 4:28pm On Jun 21, 2015
Is there anything like "air cycle"?..
Using the land and sea breeze as a starting point.
What happens there is the changing state of air temperature as it passes from land to the sea and vice versa.
But can we really prove that "air cycle" exists?..

Op didnt mention geography...I rep my fellow geographers!
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Queed: 4:30pm On Jun 21, 2015
fp at last shocked shocked
how did this happened?? shocked shocked

am sure this can never be done by lalasticlala or ishilove cheesy cheesy,

since this doesn't have to do with UKWU grin

well, am science inclined too, though I care less or non about the biological part sad .

My area of interests are: Astrophysics, Quantum physics, and Electronic/computers,

am kind of an AUTODIDACT too (learned that today from teempakguy, poor me cheesy )

For the programmers/engineers (or anyone who knows), help me with this question

How does mere codes alter the a micro controller function(s)

I understand that they are solid stated devices which comprises different logic units, and these gates have different functions. Each login unit/gate are made up of simpler semiconductors like transistors, diode, resistor caps, etc.. These semiconductors are made by doping silicon/germanium with a pent/ trivalent element.

ok, let's assume that a micro controller has been programmed to allows current to pass through on direction five seconds then switches off for 10seconds.
After reprogramming, it starts allowing current to go back and front for 3seconds, then makes it flow in only one direction for 5sec, after which it switches off for 15sec, then the cycle continues.

how is this possible
is the micro cotrl. changing it circulatory after reprogramming
or is it building new components inside itself
or is converting a transistor to a diode, diode to cap, resistor to inductor
or is it changing the chemistry of what's inside

sad Your little/huge help will be gladly appreciated

Thanks in advance.

cc Pakingzzz , acorntree , jarus , seun etc..
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 4:37pm On Jun 21, 2015
dazzlingd:
The last time man landed on the moon was over 40 years ago.....can
anyone explain why we haven't gone back since then considering the
advancement in technology?
Chrisbenogor:

What would that mission achieve?
@Chrisbenogor it will achieve many things, let us wait for him to tell us why he thinks man can't go back to the moon and i will tell him man can and exactly when man is going back and why we haven't yet. .

Bro @dazzlingd please educate us why you think man haven't gone back?
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by guyX(m): 4:38pm On Jun 21, 2015
Horlufemi:

Gravity distorts a lot of things. It distorts time, space(I.e distance and it gets worse the closer you are to it. E.g if you zoom past a black hole you might use about 70 years but to your own time its like an hour. Because when you get home all your kids are grandparents and you still look like you left. You see that kind of distortion? If you go into the black hole time and space(distance) will scatter. There will be nothing. No light no energy no physical laws. Everything will be infinitely nothing.
Wow! Now I get it.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by codeRED214: 4:46pm On Jun 21, 2015
Am so glad this thread opens. Ok guys lets get it going.

I stumbled on a quote made by my favourite scientist. Albert einstein the great. He said. Though i quote from a movie, that "IF YOU CAN RUN AS FAST AS TWICE THE SPEED OF LIGHT , YOU WILL BE ABLE TO TRAVEL BACK TO THE AGE and FUTURE" . he was quoted writing this theory when he was working on VORTEX TRAVEL. Vortex travel its a technology that can allow someone disappear to any place of choice jst like our juju for naija. From this theory many movies producers have developed some quite interesting movies e.g supernatural, the flash and mayb superman. If u had seen this movies lets say flash for eg. Barry allan ran as far as going back to the future. And at that point he travels faster than speed of light. You can check it up online and lets reason together on the possibilties. Enjoy guys
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by kkash: 4:53pm On Jun 21, 2015
codeRED214:

I stumbled on a quote made by my favourite scientist. Albert einstein the great. He said. Though i quote from a movie, that "IF YOU CAN RUN AS FAST AS TWICE THE SPEED OF LIGHT , YOU WILL BE ABLE TO TRAVEL BACK TO THE AGE and FUTURE" . he was quoted writing this theory when he was working on VORTEX TRAVEL. Vortex travel its a technology that can allow someone disappear to any place of choice jst like our juju for naija. From this theory many movies producers have developed some quite interesting movies e.g supernatural, the flash and mayb superman. If u had seen this movies lets say flash for eg. Barry allan ran as far as going back to the future. And at that point he travels faster than speed of light. You can check it up online and lets reason together on the possibilties. Enjoy guys
bro....ive watched d movie buh i still cnt fathom hw realistic dat is.....cos breaking d time-space continuum is not gonna be related to speed unless u defining d past and future as a measurable quantity whose units myt be seconds
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 4:54pm On Jun 21, 2015
all4naija:
@ OP

Branes are based on M-theory origin of the universe. I don't so much agree with a cyclic process because it still left the origin of universe elusive. I support some parts of inflation, although how the Big Bang originated has not been observed(quantum physics can lay claims to how massive some fundamental particles can be at subatomic level). But, inflation is not so ambiguous as a theory because it has been observed that the universe is expanding rapidly by the effect of Dark Energy(DE) and this has been explained by notable astrophysicists and other scientists.

There is something you left out in your posts, the Nebulae. They are the building blocks in our universe - those galaxies clusters you see in the universe are birthed by them. In fact, they are where some of the most violent activities happen in the outer space.
I know about the Nebulae. I refrained from stating them above. However, I pointed out their existence by saying . . . mostly stars. It seems it is actually the other way around.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 4:56pm On Jun 21, 2015
guyX:

Mutations are caused by radiation.
Everyone of these guys in the electromagnetic spectrum radio wave (common carrier: mobile phones), infra red( not sure if this guy causes mutation though), visible light( consisting of the colours of rainbow which is the colour of white light), ultraviolet ( common carrier: the sun), xray (common carrier: xray for hospitals. Dats y it isn't good to take many xray scans), gamma ray (this bastard killed the couple that discovered it: the curry couple)

Mutations can result in physical disabilities like being born without legs, having more or less fingers etc.
Basically, any part on ur parent's DNA that didn't replicate a nose, leg, eye , etc parts, won't appear in you when you are born.
How to avoid mutation: pray to God.
Cause to can't avoid sun, or stop using phone etc of the aforementioned above(rays).
dude . . . ah, that is just one type of mutation.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 4:57pm On Jun 21, 2015
codeRED214:

hmm, noted. Checking that.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 4:59pm On Jun 21, 2015
Queed:
fp at last shocked shocked
how did this happened?? shocked shocked

am sure this can never be done by lalasticlala or ishilove cheesy cheesy,

since this doesn't have to do with UKWU grin

well, am science inclined too, though I care less or non about the biological part sad .

My area of interests are: Astrophysics, Quantum physics, and Electronic/computers,

am kind of an AUTODIDACT too (learned that today from teempakguy, poor me cheesy )

For the programmers/engineers (or anyone who knows), help me with this question

How does mere codes alter the a micro controller function(s)

I understand that they are solid stated devices which comprises different logic units, and these gates have different functions. Each login unit/gate are made up of simpler semiconductors like transistors, diode, resistor caps, etc.. These semiconductors are made by doping silicon/germanium with a pent/ trivalent element.

ok, let's assume that a micro controller has been programmed to allows current to pass through on direction five seconds then switches off for 10seconds.
After reprogramming, it starts allowing current to go back and front for 3seconds, then makes it flow in only one direction for 5sec, after which it switches off for 15sec, then the cycle continues.

how is this possible
is the micro cotrl. changing it circulatory after reprogramming
or is it building new components inside itself
or is converting a transistor to a diode, diode to cap, resistor to inductor
or is it changing the chemistry of what's inside

sad Your little/huge help will be gladly appreciated

Thanks in advance.
shocked I will have to actively research in order to answer this. Although, it is a brilliant question. smiley

Aha!
After researching a bit, I found out that those codes we write are actually switches. Each time you write a code, each letter represents a switch in a transistor. So, while you are seeing letters, the computer is seeing what is beneath those letters. Binary.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by dazzlingd(m): 5:00pm On Jun 21, 2015
johnydon22:

@Chrisbenogor it will achieve many things, let us wait for him to tell us why he thinks man can't go back to the moon and i will tell him man can and exactly when man is going back and why we haven't yet. .

Bro @dazzlingd please educate us why you think man haven't gone back?
don't know too. perhaps something scared them away...

1 Like

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by ELYMAXiimus(m): 5:01pm On Jun 21, 2015
menesheh:

Your thread is making brain now. One bottle of chilled origin for you menn.
haha. unfortunately I'm not a fan of it. naah.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 5:01pm On Jun 21, 2015
Teempakguy:
I know about the Nebulae. I refrained from stating them above. However, I pointed out their existence by saying . . . mostly stars. It seems it is actually the other way around.

Nebulae are not stars tho, a huge mass of mostly clouds and dust, some are also the birth place of stars. . .Buh seriously we are gonna have to fine you for not mentioning those incredible important celestial matter.....oya pay undecided grin

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 5:07pm On Jun 21, 2015
dazzlingd:

don't know too. perhaps something scared them away...
Lol. . No bro, plans have been on since 2004 for another visit to the moon the operation is nicknamed Constellation due for 2020, You know its going to take that long?

Its because its no longer a few hours mission or something relative For one thing, the goal this time around is significantly expanded from last
time.

"This is much more than having flags and footsteps on the moon,"

NASA's Exploration Systems Mission Directorate Integration Office. "We're
going for a sustained human presence in space."
Rather than visit the moon for hours or days at most, Constellation
astronauts will embark on missions that could last months. They will need
new tools and technologies for living on the moon, and must construct semi-
permanent habitats on the lunar surface. Besides the challenge of designing
these systems, NASA must build a spaceship than can transport all the extra equipments and necessities needed

1 Like

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 5:08pm On Jun 21, 2015
johnydon22:

Nebulae are not stars tho, a huge mass of mostly clouds and dust, some are also the birth place of stars. . .Buh seriously we are gonna have to fine you for not mentioning those incredible important celestial matter.....oya pay undecided grin
cheesy
I definitely have to modify my post then. grin
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 5:09pm On Jun 21, 2015
johnydon22:

Lol. . No bro, plans have been on since 2004 for another visit to the moon the operation is nicknamed Constellation due for 2020, You know its going to take that long?

Its because its no longer a few hours mission or something relative For one thing, the goal this time around is significantly expanded from last
time.

"This is much more than having flags and footsteps on the moon,"

NASA's Exploration Systems Mission Directorate Integration Office. "We're
going for a sustained human presence in space."
Rather than visit the moon for hours or days at most, Constellation
astronauts will embark on missions that could last months. They will need
new tools and technologies for living on the moon, and must construct semi-
permanent habitats on the lunar surface. Besides the challenge of designing
these systems, NASA must build a spaceship than can transport all the extra
I knew it. I think the main reason they are taking this long is because of lunar dust.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Bhenehdikt(m): 5:10pm On Jun 21, 2015
johnydon22:

hahaha...he'll pay bro

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 5:11pm On Jun 21, 2015
Teempakguy:
cheesy I definitely have to modify my post then. grin
You gonna pay us first undecided
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 5:12pm On Jun 21, 2015
johnydon22:

You gonna pay us first undecided
runs away . . .
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by ELYMAXiimus(m): 5:21pm On Jun 21, 2015
Teempakguy:
runs away . . .
I see u're having fun.. smiley...
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Bhenehdikt(m): 5:23pm On Jun 21, 2015
I think I'd be among the first persons Nigeria will send to outter space *winks*...
De Gagarin of Nigeria
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by MarkJessy(m): 5:23pm On Jun 21, 2015
Please i like d house to reason out dis questions with me: To wat extent is science objective taking into cognisance the object-subject dichotomy especially from d thought experiment of Erwin Schrödinger's cat in d box? Do we also have renowned classical female physicists? If not, y not? How true is d doctrine of realism especially since it doesn't depend on conscious observers? Let me also thank d brain behind this thread as it is going to go a long way in assisting my Doctoral thesis research in d area of philosophy of science. Pls i urge everyone in d house to take our discussions here seriously as we have mature minds here. Please if ua a child here, kindly go n play with ur toys outside. Thanks
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by dainty(f): 5:27pm On Jun 21, 2015
@ teempakguy, pls, can you explain why genetic variation makes cancer difficult to treat? thanks in anticipation
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by teejaypee: 5:31pm On Jun 21, 2015
Present and following
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Chrisbenogor(m): 5:37pm On Jun 21, 2015
Ok before I run away, lemme say something.

If this thread degenerates to some high level stuff, people might get scared away. I was amazed recently in a book I am reading how interesting it is when basic science is explained in a very interesting way. So my challenge is pick something and explain it as simply as you can and in your own words.

Illustrations - analogies - something that passes the point.

Then one can build from this to explaining more complex things.

(As I dey tok persin don throway Schrödinger for the matter)

2 Likes

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Mbkite(m): 5:46pm On Jun 21, 2015
I knw nutin abt RHESUS FACTOR, i need help.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by NDprudent(m): 5:49pm On Jun 21, 2015
guyX:

Mutations are caused by radiation.
Everyone of these guys in the electromagnetic spectrum radio wave (common carrier: mobile phones), infra red( not sure if this guy causes mutation though), visible light( consisting of the colours of rainbow which is the colour of white light), ultraviolet ( common carrier: the sun), xray (common carrier: xray for hospitals. Dats y it isn't good to take many xray scans), gamma ray (this bastard killed the couple that discovered it: the curry couple)

Mutations can result in physical disabilities like being born without legs, having more or less fingers etc.
Basically, any part on ur parent's DNA that didn't replicate a nose, leg, eye , etc parts, won't appear in you when you are born.
How to avoid mutation: pray to God.
Cause to can't avoid sun, or stop using phone etc of the aforementioned above(rays).

Guy, ure making mutation sound scary

Sorry 4 comin in late.....I commend d op and all d others that hav kept dis thread alive.

Talkin abt mutaton and natural selection.....I read all posts and u were all making sense....but I must add. 1st of all, not all mutatns are heritable. Mutation could be autosomal (those that affects other cell other than d sex cells, and re non heritable) or germline mutation (affects sex cells..ie cells that produce offsprings).

I read some1 say that a new species can't be formed through mutations.....m here to prove u wrong.......it is very possible.....rememba that a new species is formed when a mutated sp. gets so different from its parent sp. that interbreeding becomes impossible. It u nid a detailed explanation u let me knw (I don't enjoy typin long txts with my fone....but I'll do it)

Thirdly, recent research has shown that it is possible for phenotype (outward appearance) of an organisn to change without change in DNA sequence....this occurs wen switches come into play and switch off d expression of a particular gene.

This thread is just so great..........shalom!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Mbkite(m): 5:49pm On Jun 21, 2015
For Mechanical Engrs, i went 4 an interview recently and somebody told me there is a machine used in incineration that is 99.9% efficient. Can this be true?
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Queed: 5:52pm On Jun 21, 2015
johnydon22:
Welcome bro, Huge fan of philosophy here. . . It is well known that every branch of knowledge has its roots in philosophy even beliefs.

It was philosophy that started or proposed the questions. . and these questions gave birth to methods of answering them.

Religion and theology proposed answers that are meant to be believed without questions.…e.g: philosophy: Why does the rain fall? religion answers: a God did it.

Science approaches the question through study, research, observations and experiment and proposes answers that are always open to more study.
e.g: Philosophy: Why does it rain? scientific answer: Water circle

Not just physics bro, every branch of study was once a seed in the immerse depth of philosophical questions. . . No wonder is it Philo = Love & Sofia= wisdom. . . Love of wisdom

johnnydon22
l be wan follow you because of ur interest in astronomy, bt this1 wey u no believe in God grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 5:56pm On Jun 21, 2015
Teempakguy:
shocked shocked shocked

Now, when DNA acquires a mistake in its gene programming, it has to be repaired immediately . . .usually, it gets repaired. But sometimes, it doesn't. Then the mutation becomes permanently engraved in and EVERY cell that comes from that cell will be similarly mutated. Even spermatozoa or the egg! And when this happens, during fertilization, this mutation is passed on to the offspring. cool

erico2k2, abeg, free mah guy. cheesy
This answer my questions alot since years ........... I discovered that I reason like my dad and his dad though better as a result of addition of technological values, globalization and everly dynamic environment ........ Now, I really believe If I advance the quality of my "thinking" faculty through excess zeal for academic, professional, technological and humanitarian prowess will this have impact on my offspring in terms of their gene(natural instruction/program) ..... or instructions could be lost ? .... oya clarify me abeg ?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (34) (Reply)

This Is What A Sheep Looks Like After Five Years Without Shearing (Graphic Photo / Scientists Successfully Reverse Human Ageing Process (Pics) / Escaped Lion Found In Kano Zoo After Devouring Goats In Their Cage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.