Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,765 members, 7,817,111 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:05 AM

The Sciences Discussion Thread. - Science/Technology (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / The Sciences Discussion Thread. (68786 Views)

Universe Or Multiverse. (A Discussion) / Who Has Seen Smartbird? Discussion Thread For Novel ways to fly. / Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by BigBen10: 2:16pm On Jun 21, 2015
Teempakguy:
I am an autodidact. I have a very great interest for all things science. And it is actually a dream of mine to become a lecturer. smiley

I am not a scientist but I appreciate people like you who have passion for their field of interest. People who can't be easily bored with discussing their interest.

I wish to see more Nigerians like you dont just follow the crowd but follow their passion.

Keep it up bro.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Horlufemi(m): 2:16pm On Jun 21, 2015
johnydon22:

I think there is need to understand the basic point of mathematics. . . Natural science is represented in mathematical notion in initial forms, it is in this form of mathematics that study takes roots... example is Einstein's theory of general relativity, mathematical representation E=mc2. . and by the way mathematics was already in use in Egypt, sumer and even maya before Archimedes even dreamt of existing thousands of years later

The universe is like a programming language written in math - that's how the universe is. Its math.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Blankstare(m): 2:17pm On Jun 21, 2015
Ok. For the gurus:
what is responsible for mood swing? I tend to believe its a biological thing,but why and how? Why is it present in almost every action of human endeavour?

Oya! I recommend the best respondent for handshake with PMB.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 2:17pm On Jun 21, 2015
johnydon22:
I think this is not so, Greek knowledge on astrology and other sciences were greatly influenced by the more ancient forms of the this branch of science just as this ancient studies influenced ours too like we still study Pythagoras theorem thousands of years after him, but yet Pythagoras himself was a student of the Egyptian Mystery school
Chemistry itself is a mathematical representation of the chemical properties of an element. . I think you are misunderstanding the context of the mathematics in reference here
Now I get your theme...
I was addressing applied mathematics.... But Seems you speak of mathematics intotal
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 2:18pm On Jun 21, 2015
Cindino20:
The molar mass of water is approx. 18g/mol and the molar mass of ethanol(alcohol) is about 46g/mol...The boiling point of water and ethanol @ SVP is 100 Celsius and 78.3 Celsius respectivey...Now the question is why will a relatively small moelcule like water has a higher boiling point than a large morlecule (ethanol).

Answer:

Hydrogen Bonding... hydrogen bond is the electrostatic attraction between polar molecules that occurs when a hydrogen (H) atom bound to a highly electronegative atom such as oxygen (O) . The hydrogen bonding in water molecule is of course stronger than the hydrogen bonds in ethanol.

Chemistry is fun
Aha! I have caught you.
Can you please tell us how much current required to release one gram of hydrogen in one hour in an Hoffman voltmeter? shocked
Also, working please.

N.B even I don't know. sad
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by 1miccza: 2:19pm On Jun 21, 2015
Ok i am observing from the top of my palm tree
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by RobinHez(m): 2:19pm On Jun 21, 2015
Teempakguy:
may I?
ermmm....No!

we should make the thread as interactive as possible wink
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jun 21, 2015
Blankstare:
Ok. For the gurus:
what is responsible for mood swing? I tend to believe its a biological thing,but why and how? Why is it present in almost every action of human endeavour?

mood swings?
misssclassy!!
Oyah, come and talk. angry
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 2:23pm On Jun 21, 2015
1miccza:
Ok i am observing from the top of my palm tree
I hope you realize what would happen if you were to suddenly fall?
The terminal velocity of the human body is 360m/s. Multiply that with your mass, you will experience an average force of 36000N upon hitting the ground.
Abeg, come down.

2 Likes

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 2:24pm On Jun 21, 2015
Teempakguy:
yeah . . . he fooled us for centuries with that annoying equation of gravitational force. Breaking Descartes first principle. but, he tried nah. cheesy
He sure did Mate....
Before him, many a scientist couldn't think radically.... He brought sexy and rugged science...
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by RobinHez(m): 2:25pm On Jun 21, 2015
Ogbehadanyel:
What would u do if ur girl dat u av dated 4 3years abandon u and now she z planing of gettin maried to ur cousin.
i would ask her to pour water into acid when she's at home with my cousin angry
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by hadura29(m): 2:25pm On Jun 21, 2015
Make I book space first I dey come...
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Horlufemi(m): 2:25pm On Jun 21, 2015
Freemanan:
Anyone with knowledge on cosmology and astrology should mention..... An area I love discussing....
Does time go faster for you when you near a black hole. What is on the surface of a black hole? Was the universe a black hole before the big bang? Is the universe just like another star in a galaxy of universes? Are there other life forms not organically based? I wanna know.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Gorimakpa1: 2:26pm On Jun 21, 2015
Blankstare:
Ok. For the gurus:

very important and intelligent question! this particular subject matter is responsible for rate of efficiency and performance as well as productivity of individuals....this issue is common with celebs. to throw more light on your quest its partly biological, nutritional and metabolical.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 2:28pm On Jun 21, 2015
RobinHez:
Anyone to explain "black hole" to me

Johnydon22
Blackholes are incredibly large chunk of gravitational point. where gravity has gotten so strong that the escape velocity is faster than light. and this means nothing can escape the gravitational pull of a blackhole even light is not fast enough, it is said to form as an aftermath of the death of a supergiant star
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 2:28pm On Jun 21, 2015
finniblinks:
can someone tell me the mechanism of action of propeller engine?
coughs!! Propeller engines obey Newton's third law of motion, which states; to every action there is equal nd opposite reaction. For instance, if some1 must move forward, there must be a force pushing one backward. If we're moving down a hill, our feets tend to move back.

This theory is applied to propeller engines. Props (propeller engines) are engines used to move an object forward - mostly used in aircrafts. It's works like wheel so as to make forward movement. Note:- there is a force working in opp. direction... More on it?
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Slimzjoe(m): 2:29pm On Jun 21, 2015
laykorn:

Gregor Mendel? Wasn't that the Austrian or Australian monk that carried out experiments on pea plants to study genes?

Yup! That's him
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Cindino20(m): 2:29pm On Jun 21, 2015
Teempakguy:
Aha! I have caught you.
Can you please tell us how much current required to release one gram of hydrogen in one hour in an Hoffman voltmeter? shocked
Also, working please.

N.B even I don't know. sad

According to Faraday the mass of a substance libreted is equivalent to the current passed thru the electrochemical setup in ur case Hoffmans Voltameter.

so if u do some basic calculation (after eliminating the charge since charge is 1 and molar mass is 1) u ve I= MF/t since the mass of hydrogen is 1 and F =96500C and Ihr =3600secs I think the current needed will be 26.8amperes

are you aware that by spilting water electrochemically we can generate fuel (hydrogen fuel).

1 Like

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 2:30pm On Jun 21, 2015
Horlufemi:

Does time go faster for you when you near a black hole. What is on the surface of a black hole? Was the universe a black hole before the big bang? Is the universe just like another star in a galaxy of universes? Are there other life forms not organically based? I wanna know.

I believe We are not alone Mate.... I believe life exist outside this universe. I believe that an allordial owner dictates the orderliness of this terrestrial ball.

The concept of time is tricky also. Nothing can make time runs faster, time is the centre piece of the activities in the cosmos, it binds all substance... It is one of the few phenomenon only reserve to this allordial owner...
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Horlufemi(m): 2:32pm On Jun 21, 2015
Teempakguy:
I was merely explaining what oyinbo says to him as he requested. sad
BTW, have you heard of that guy that can read in near darkness? Like a cat? I heard he was from China. Did you also know that on average, humans are getting taller? Did you also know that the black hair is becoming more circular and is becoming more like that of the whites? On average?

They are still humans. Skin color is not a function of one gene. Humans vary vary well well. It's life permutation. There are gene pools everywhere. Do u know that you and your wife can produce up to 2^46 different kinds of people. They may look the same but with different genes you can even give birth to a white(low possibility though). Species change according to natural selection. But I still stand on my words mutation can't give rise to new species. There is no fossil record showing transition from one species to a new specie.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Horlufemi(m): 2:38pm On Jun 21, 2015
Freemanan:

I believe We are not alone Mate.... I believe life exist outside this universe. I believe that an allordial owner dictates the orderliness of this terrestrial ball.

The concept of time is tricky also. Nothing can make time runs faster, time is the centre piece of the activities in the cosmos, it binds all substance... It is one of the few phenomenon only reserve to this allordial owner...

Your time does slow down if you move near the speed of light. Even distance shrinks for you if you run fast enough. There are formulae about that in physics. Gravity affects time too. If you move closer to a black hole time farther than where you are would go faster but I've not found any equation for that. I think about these things every other day.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 2:42pm On Jun 21, 2015
@ OP

Branes are based on M-theory origin of the universe. I don't so much agree with a cyclic process because it still left the origin of universe elusive. I support some parts of inflation, although how the Big Bang originated has not been observed(quantum physics can lay claims to how massive some fundamental particles can be at subatomic level). But, inflation is not so ambiguous as a theory because it has been observed that the universe is expanding rapidly by the effect of Dark Energy(DE) and this has been explained by notable astrophysicists and other scientists.

There is something you left out in your posts, the Nebulae. They are the building blocks in our universe - those galaxies clusters you see in the universe are birthed by them. In fact, they are where some of the most violent activities happen in the outer space.

1 Like

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 2:43pm On Jun 21, 2015
Very Good questions and i would like to attempt so we can discuss this.
Horlufemi:

Does time go faster for you when you near a black hole
.[/b]I think time is relative and a human concept to represent duration. . mercury has an orbital duration of 88days compared to the earth's 365, but i don't think the effect this 88days has on you is equivalent to 365 days in earth. . . Unless somehow gravity influences time and blackholes hold an almost infinite gravitational energy.

What is on the surface of a black hole?
Blackholes are as a result of a supernova. . when a very dense, giant star dies. and this great gravitational pulls/accumulates more materials. . so with this i think we can speculate that the blackhole contains a rich deposit of helium maybe hydrogen too.

Was the universe a black hole before the big bang?
I think since blackholes are aftermaths of supernovas which are aftermath of a star death then no the BigBang should predate the blackhole. .

Is the universe just like another star in a galaxy of universes?
This should be if it is established and proven that we live in a multiverse, some scientist propose so tho.

Are there other life forms not organically based? I wanna know.
I dont quite know, we are organic life forms so the depth of our perception on life forms are organic, we can only imagine

1 Like

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 2:43pm On Jun 21, 2015
Gorimakpa1:
can one build or create a zero gravity condition which is also called weightlessness/ anti-gravity that causes objects to float or levitate in a room or any environment on earth. a lifetime project i intend to embark on
there is a region in space or 'wherever' that does not obey law of gravitation. If aircrafts, scientists, astronauts fly above the normal level, they might not return bak due to weightlessness...
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Niyeal(m): 2:45pm On Jun 21, 2015
Am an Agricultural sci education student. In CHM 102 and 202. We were taught about 2principles. 1. Le-chatellier principle and Markov-nikkof principle, pls what are the significance of these principles and has anyone been able to drink water produce from addition of 2HYDROGEN WITH 1OXYGEN.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Realrex(m): 2:46pm On Jun 21, 2015
TODAY IN ASTRONOMY

Diagram of the Earth's seasons as
seen from the north. Far left:
summer solstice for the Northern
Hemisphere. Front right: summer
solstice for the Southern
Hemisphere.
The summer solstice occurs
when the tilt of a planet's semi-
axis, in either the northern or the
southern hemisphere, is most
inclined toward the star that it
orbits. Earth's maximum axial tilt
toward the Sun is 23° 26'. This
happens twice each year, at which
times the Sun reaches its highest
position in the sky as seen from
the north or the south pole.
The summer solstice occurs during
a hemisphere's summer. This is the
northern solstice in the northern
hemisphere and the southern
solstice in the southern
hemisphere. Depending on the
shift of the calendar, the summer
solstice occurs some time
between June 20 and June 22 in
the northern hemisphere
and between December 20 and
December 23 each year in the
southern hemisphere. In conclusion those in northern hemisphere will experience longer day today.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 2:48pm On Jun 21, 2015
[color=#550000][/color]following cheesy
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 2:49pm On Jun 21, 2015
Cindino20:

According to Faraday the mass of a substance libreted is equivalent to the current passed thru the electrochemical setup in ur case Hoffmans Voltameter.

so if u do some basic calculation (after eliminating the charge since charge is 1 and molar mass is 1) u ve I= MF/t since the mass of hydrogen is 1 and F =96500C and Ihr =3600secs I think the current needed will be 26.8amperes

are you aware that by spilting water electrochemically we can generate fuel (hydrogen fuel).

yes! I know! That is my latest project in physics.
I also have another question. What is the average power density for solar cells?
I need a physicist for this.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 2:49pm On Jun 21, 2015
Mbkite:
Nice thread.
I hv a little doubt on Newton's 1st of motion which states that "a body wil continue in its state of rest or uniform motion in a straight line, unless it's being acted upon by a FORCE"
D Problem I have with dis Law is that d magnitude of d force in question is not considered. For example, if a little child of 4yrs uses all his power to hit a big Iroko tree would dere be any change in position. I therefore propose that "a force of equal or higher magnitude be added to that Law" #MyPersonalOpinion.
in ma own view, I think energy, power and force work 2geda. Dat small child dats unable to move dat tree may be due to insufficient energy or power. You can't compare energy of d child with dat of an adult...
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by RobinHez(m): 2:51pm On Jun 21, 2015
johnydon22:
Blackholes are incredibly large chunk of gravitational point. where gravity has gotten so strong that the escape velocity is faster than light. and this means nothing can escape the gravitational pull of a blackhole even light is not fast enough, it is said to form as an aftermath of the death of a supergiant star
ok tnx.
so do we have just one blackhole or a are they numerous..
is anyblackhole close to earth (just to be careful cheesy)
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Hero10001: 2:51pm On Jun 21, 2015
Freemanan:

Time is the greatest warrior!
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by CocoaOla: 2:52pm On Jun 21, 2015
lnterestingly interesting....

Can we solve power failure with these logic..........

Ogbonna do you have light?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (34) (Reply)

Scientists Successfully Reverse Human Ageing Process (Pics) / Escaped Lion Found In Kano Zoo After Devouring Goats In Their Cage / Rare Orange-Eyed Owl Not Seen For Almost 125 Years Is Spotted In Malaysia (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.