Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,689 members, 7,816,813 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:43 PM

The Sciences Discussion Thread. - Science/Technology (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / The Sciences Discussion Thread. (68770 Views)

Universe Or Multiverse. (A Discussion) / Who Has Seen Smartbird? Discussion Thread For Novel ways to fly. / Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Horlufemi(m): 2:54pm On Jun 21, 2015
johnydon22:
Very Good questions and i would like to attempt so we can discuss this.
.[/b]I think time is relative and a human concept to represent duration. . mercury has an orbital duration of 88days compared to the earth's 365, but i don't think the effect this 88days has on you is equivalent to 365 days in earth. . . Unless somehow gravity influences time and blackholes hold an almost infinite gravitational energy.
Blackholes are as a result of a supernova. . when a very dense, giant star dies. and this great gravitational pulls/accumulates more materials. . so with this i think we can speculate that the blackhole contains a rich deposit of helium maybe hydrogen too.
I think since blackholes are aftermaths of supernovas which are aftermath of a star death then no the BigBang should predate the blackhole. .
This should be if it is established and proven that we live in a multiverse, some scientist propose so tho.
I dont quite know, we are organic life forms so the depth of our perception on life forms are organic, we can only imagine

At the centre of galaxies are super duper massive black holes. Was the universe a kind of super duper giga mega massive black hole? Think about it because for me it explains the galaxies. I mean after it exploded there must be chunks of it with enough gravity to pull matter that later formed galaxies. I'm just saying o. But at least with all the matter in the universe and as it seems they are separating. There must be a centre and a spot to hold the matter together.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 2:59pm On Jun 21, 2015
RobinHez:

ok tnx.
so do we have just one blackhole or a are they numerous..
is anyblackhole close to earth (just to be careful cheesy)
We live on the milky way galaxy and i think that a blackhole seats on the center of most massive galaxies these are submassive blackholes. . and yes we have one in our milky way galaxy. .

The distance from our solar system to the center of our galaxy is like 25,000 to 30,000 light years. . . that is multiply 9trillion kilometers to either 25,000 or 30,000 you will see we are practically at a safe distance grin
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Horlufemi(m): 3:00pm On Jun 21, 2015
Gorimakpa1:
can one build or create a zero gravity condition which is also called weightlessness/ anti-gravity that causes objects to float or levitate in a room or any environment on earth. a lifetime project i intend to embark on

Unless u want to put yourself in a big box then throw it from a plane. You will receive weightlessness.

Or better still put yourself in orbit where you'll be falling and not finding where to land. That's my contribution grin
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by guyX(m): 3:00pm On Jun 21, 2015
Teempakguy:

The largest thing we know in science is a Brane. cool
Brands contain universes.
Universes contain clusters. But,
Clusters are made of galaxies.
Galaxies are made of stars . . . well, mostly stars. smiley
Stars have systems.
Each star system has planets. shocked
Planets have . . . "spheres" our planet, Earth, has a biosphere
This biosphere is made of living organisms. Like you and I . . . and goats. cheesy
These organisms are made of organic systems. wink
These systems are made up of organs. tongue like that tongue.
Organs are made of tissue. grin
Tissue, is made of cells shocked
Cells are made up of organelles.
Organelles . . . are made up of GIANT molecules! shocked shocked
Molecules are made up of atoms . . . grin
Now, atoms are made of subatomic particles . . . the electron, the protons, neutrons. cool cool
Wait . . . even the neutron is made up of the electron and the proton.
The proton is made of quarks!
And quarks are made up of little, cute, superstrings.

Gluons keep the atom core together and photons are the senior messengers that carry energy. lipsrsealed little neutrinos are the junior messengers. grin grin they can go anywhere.
We must not forget the higgs boson. This bulky guy gives all the other particles mass!!
The electron is the negative guy that actually allows matter to occupy space!! Without that dude, matter would smash into each other and form huge black holes shocked
But nothing would be complete without the graviton. A really, really small particle which is really good at hiding. angry angry
It allows you to play football, play "no bouncing" cheesy jump, play basketball, even swim shocked

The universe is fascinating!! Each level of arrangements have a whole lot of juicy facts and patterns that can make your head swirl with excitement!!
Which is why we study it with mathematics, physics, chemistry, and biology! And in science, our ultimate goal is to be able to explain every thing. To understand your universe. From the smallest string, to the largest Brane. In fact, EVERYTHING

Cheers!

Ever wondered?
Just as planets of different star systems revolve round their star (composed of proton and neutron reaction); so does electrons revolve round the proton and neutron of an atom.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by kkash: 3:01pm On Jun 21, 2015
Pls gurus I nid sm insight on wormholes nd hw its related to time travel.....ive always been of d opinion dat for time travel to actually occur, u nid to transform an object from its sub atomic level to light (E=mc^2), transmit it, nd then rebuild.....buh I wld like to get another angle from wormholes

1 Like

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Cindino20(m): 3:01pm On Jun 21, 2015
Niyeal:
Am an Agricultural sci education student. In CHM 102 and 202. We were taught about 2principles. 1. Le-chatellier principle and Markov-nikkof principle, pls what are the significance of these principles and has anyone been able to drink water produce from addition of 2HYDROGEN WITH 1OXYGEN.

oxygen is a diatomic molecule and barely exits as 1 oxygen...the radical oxygen i think is too reactive to be isolated.

lols.....yes u can create water from molecule of hydrogen and oxygen but this reaction is an exothermic reaction and release huge amount of heat approx.500kj of heat (I wont advise you to this without proper safety training). Of course by burning hydrogen in air too you create water in its gaseous form and u may ve to condense the product if u want the liquid form...I ve nt tasted water produced from such processes,

le Chattliers law describes a system in equilibrium and postulates that the system will undergo changes if an external constrain is applied to annul the effect of such constrain...its application is almost everywhere depending on how you look at things. a simple example is a reaction system in equilibrium ..if we increase the concentration (apply a constrain) the reaction will proceed towards the right forming more product to annul the effect of the increase in concentration.

1 Like

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Horlufemi(m): 3:02pm On Jun 21, 2015
johnydon22:
We live on the milky way galaxy and i think that a blackhole seats on the center of most massive blackholes these are submassive blackholes. . and yes we have one in our milky way galaxy. .

The distance from our solar system to the center of our galaxy is like 25,000 to 30,000 light years. . . that is multiply 9trillion kilometers to either 25,000 or 30,000 you will see we are practically at a safe distance grin

I want to observe a black hole and see what is on the surface by myself grin. I know I'm nuts but I'll rather die trying. I can already hear my bones crushing grin
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 3:02pm On Jun 21, 2015
Horlufemi:

At the centre of galaxies are super duper massive black holes. Was the universe a kind of super duper giga mega massive black hole? Think about it because for me it explains the galaxies. I mean after it exploded there must be chunks of it with enough gravity to pull matter that later formed galaxies. I'm just saying o. But at least with all the matter in the universe and as it seems they are separating. There must be a centre and a spot to hold the matter together.

Yes the expansion of the universe is what prompted the big bang theory. .
The universe is observed to be expanding, so big bang basically is the point when the universe started expansion. So i think that expansion birthed the galaxies and therefore blackholes, I think Dark matters are also a form of wild energy that we may look to in this regard
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Cindino20(m): 3:04pm On Jun 21, 2015
Teempakguy:
yes! I know! That is my latest project in physics.
I also have another question. What is the average power density for solar cells?
I need a physicist for this.

lemme gv u my take on this.....since the density of any thing will depend on the area..one cannot tell u d average power density of a solar cell without knowing the dimension of solar cell.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Horlufemi(m): 3:04pm On Jun 21, 2015
kkash:
Pls gurus I nid sm insight on wormholes nd hw its related to time travel.....ive always been of d opinion dat for time travel to actually occur, u nid to transform an object from its sub atomic level to light (E=mc^2), transmit it, nd then rebuild.....buh I wld like to get another angle from wormholes

The way I see it you can reverse time. You can either slow it down or speed it up. Reversal is impossible. I stand to be corrected. You can only use wormholes to beat time.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 3:07pm On Jun 21, 2015
Horlufemi:

I want to observe a black hole and see what is on the surface by myself grin. I know I'm nuts but I'll rather die trying. I can already hear my bones crushing grin
Aaaaaaaaah shocked bro Voyager one sent to the edge of the solar system has made it to the outskirts of the solar system after maybe 37years i think **scratches head**
And the solar system am not sure is up to 1light years in diameter, and 1 light years is approximately 9trillionkm. . Now imagine travelling 25-30,000 light years to get to the blackholegrin Even if you are an eternal entity you definitely would get bored after all that time grin

Make we just respect ourself and try taking peeks outside the earth jejely, at least we have the ISS where we can camp in space or probably conolizing mars soon . . I have a dream of going to space sometime in the future but Blackholes? Bros you are on your own, oyo is your case.. grin grin
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by guyX(m): 3:07pm On Jun 21, 2015
menesheh:
You are in the wrong place.

Science is never for us, it is for Whiteman.

Whenever a Nigerian see a technology he/she feels is so awesome and complex, he will be like
[size=15pt]waw oyibo too much, oyibo na our second God[/size].

We don't know that to discover things is more easier than we thought it is.

A thread for science is statistically insignificant due lack of patronage and interest.

Your idea are supported despite am not a science student. But i love science pretty crazy

Hung up
People like you make me say racist comments against my own race.

1 Like

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by RobinHez(m): 3:07pm On Jun 21, 2015
johnydon22:
We live on the milky way galaxy and i think that a blackhole seats on the center of most massive blackholes these are submassive blackholes. . and yes we have one in our milky way galaxy. .

haha...thank God!

ermm....how would u define a light year?
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by taharqa: 3:08pm On Jun 21, 2015
Samguine:

In my opinion, Mathematics is the purest form of science. All other branches of science would be meaningless without Mathematics.

Mathematics, strictly speaking is not Science. Mathematics is actuality one of the "subjects" that shows that the so-called 3 great branches of (man's) Knowledge ie Science, Social Science and Arts, are actually basically the same thing/have same source. The only difference between them been the DEGREE OF MEASUREMENTS of observable phenomena associated with these "branches" ie Precision in Measurement. Science been the most Precise (that is why Science places such emphasis on minute measurements and instrumentation as well as axioms) and Arts been the least Precise.

Mathematics on the other hand is basically LANGUAGE. Nature's Language. The Language of knowledge ie of ALL the "branches" of Knowledge - Science, Social Science and Arts. Thats why Mathematics can be useful to express phenomena in all these 3 "branches" .

The reason why it seems Mathematics is a pure Science is cos by its nature it's the measurements therein are as precise as Science. But it isn't an exclusive property of Science.

By d way, from the aforementioned it is clear that am a big advocate of the "Unity of Knowledge" ie that all things Known and Unknown have ONE SOURCE and hence obey same FUNDAMENTAL rules/principles. All the plenty divisions of this Knowledge is only an attempt by man to understand phenomena.

1 Like

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by hadura29(m): 3:10pm On Jun 21, 2015
Who had an idea of what it takes to start up building of a science laboratory (educational: secondary schools for now) and also supply of laboratory equipments and apparatus...

Danke!!
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Horlufemi(m): 3:12pm On Jun 21, 2015
johnydon22:
Aaaaaaaaah shocked bro Voyager one sent to the edge of the solar system has made it to the outskirts of the solar system after maybe 37years i think **scratches head**
And the solar system am not sure is up to 1light years in diameter, and 1 light years is approximately 9trillionkm. . Now imagine travelling 25-30,000 light years to get to the blackholegrin Even if you are an eternal entity you definitely would get bored after all that time grin

Make we just respect ourself and try taking peeks outside the earth jejely, at least we have the ISS where we can camp in space or probably conolizing mars soon . . I have a dream of going to space sometime in the future but Blackholes? Bros you are on your own, oyo is your case.. grin grin

I can do cryo sleep if it exists. The problem is that you won't be able to send your observations back. Its hopeless. But I don't mind dying in a black hole o.

But for the ISS I need to be there. If this country wasn't a jagajaga country I would have been an astronaut. I'll even work for free sef. I need to be in the ISS I even dream about it.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by kkash: 3:13pm On Jun 21, 2015
Horlufemi:

The way I see it you can reverse time. You can either slow it down or speed it up. Reversal is impossible. I stand to be corrected. You can only use wormholes to beat time.
was thinking wormholes are like portals joining different places mkin it easy to travel from one point to another at the speed of light
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by guyX(m): 3:13pm On Jun 21, 2015
RobinHez:

haha...thank God!

A light is equal to about 1trillion km(10^16). This equals to the distance light travels in one Julian year.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by 1bunne4lif(m): 3:14pm On Jun 21, 2015
Present sir!
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 3:14pm On Jun 21, 2015
RobinHez:

haha...thank God!

Its an astronomical unit of distance measurement, whereas the approx duration it takes time to travel from that distance. . .1light year approximately 9trillion kilometers
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 3:15pm On Jun 21, 2015
Cindino20:

lemme gv u my take on this.....since the density of any thing will depend on the area..one cannot tell u d average power density of a solar cell without knowing the dimension of solar cell.
exactly. Could you tell me the amount of power a solar cell that is 1 by 1 centimetres generates?
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Horlufemi(m): 3:15pm On Jun 21, 2015
kkash:

was thinking wormholes are like portals joining different places mkin it easy to travel from one point to another at the speed of light

It's more like a short cut. It won't work as time machine
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 3:17pm On Jun 21, 2015
Horlufemi:

I can do cryo sleep if it exists. The problem is that you won't be able to send your observations back. Its hopeless. But I don't mind dying in a black hole o.

But for the ISS I need to be there. If this country wasn't a jagajaga country I would have been an astronaut. I'll even work for free sef. I need to be in the ISS I even dream about it.
You have a passion for this blackhole oo, i fear. . cool

anyway about becoming astronauts, i harbour that dream too, and i know maybe just maybe we may be the first to break the jinx of full blown astronauts coming from Nigeria. . .We will surely meet at the ISS bro, definitely
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by guyX(m): 3:17pm On Jun 21, 2015
Please people, I NEED A LAY MAN'S DEFINITION OF THE WHAT "THE SINGULARITY" MEAN.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by guyX(m): 3:23pm On Jun 21, 2015
kkash:
I actually had the same idea but from a lay man's view point.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 3:24pm On Jun 21, 2015
Horlufemi:

It's more like a short cut. It won't work as time machine
I think if these exist as the thoery of general relativity proposes then maybe man can replicate them and i will love the jolly ride of moving from Nigeria to U.S in a matter of Minuteswink
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Horlufemi(m): 3:24pm On Jun 21, 2015
kkash:

It's more like a short cut. It won't work as time machine. Since distance is a matter of time wormholes make it look as if we move through time
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Horlufemi(m): 3:26pm On Jun 21, 2015
johnydon22:
I think if these exist as the thoery of general relativity proposes then maybe man can replicate them and i will love the jolly ride of moving from Nigeria to U.S in a matter of Minuteswink

The energy to create a wormhole will destroy a lot of things. Its better is used for interstellar travel
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Horlufemi(m): 3:29pm On Jun 21, 2015
johnydon22:
You have a passion for this blackhole oo, i fear. . cool

anyway about becoming astronauts, i harbour that dream too, and i know maybe just maybe we may be the first to break the jinx of full blown astronauts coming from Nigeria. . .We will surely meet at the ISS bro, definitely
Yes bro. Do you know the ISS passes over Nigeria from time to time. I used to have an alert to remind me. Check NASA website for updates
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Maczeelly(m): 3:32pm On Jun 21, 2015
Am in..............Chemistry recreate nature!!!
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by RobinHez(m): 3:32pm On Jun 21, 2015
johnydon22:
Its an astronomical unit of distance measurement, whereas the approx duration it takes time to travel from that distance. . .1light year approximately 9trillion kilometers
thanks boss

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by iukpe: 3:33pm On Jun 21, 2015
Teempakguy:

Hi there!
Teempakguy here. smiley

So, I have been observing the science/technology section a lot recently . . . and I have to say, it focuses more on technology than science. I have also noticed that threads opened waste away, with about an average of two posts per thread. I think the problem here is a real life application the chicken egg problem. So, to solve it, the obvious solution, is to form a congregation of people interested in science in one place. Hence the creation of this thread.

So, here is how things go, we are going to be talking on topics based on the natural sciences. Physics, chemistry, mathematics, biology, and of course, their basic applications. So, if you have a problem on any of those, try and post it here. In the mean time, if you stumble upon this thread and you don't have anything to add or subtract, please make sure you book space. cheesy
I'm serious. Book space and tell us your area of specialization so that other people can mention you in their posts. Because, honestly, in this section, nobody knows anybody else.

Meanwhile, I have some suggestions. If you want to give a complex mathematical expression, do not type it. Instead, write it on a paper or board and upload a photo of it. Same goes if you want to solve it. Or you could use mathlab android app. smiley this is to make the whole process more interesting and easy to follow.

Any level is allowed. Whether it be primary school arithmetic cheesy or PhD string theory . . . you will eventually find someone to express interest in it. smiley

You can just come by and drop interesting or random facts . . . like for instance, The Pythagoras' theorem is older than Pythagoras cheesy

Or you can just tell us something yoiu observed in your daily life . . . for instance, why does a bar of soap form an hourglass figure after regular usage?

You can also challenge popular views. For instance, since toilet floors are the most frequently cleaned in most houses, isn't it safer to eat food from a toilet floor than a dining room floor. Which gathers more bacteria than that of the toilet?

There. I am finished. Oyah, come and occupy, the floor. Remember, small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events. And great minds discuss ideas. Which one are you? smiley wink

Cc.
Blakjewelry
Pakingzzz
Amaa4real
Harjorlah
Peterken05
Besea
Saintneo
Timflex
Soldierdollar
Beatsbyj2g
UrennaNkoli
iukpe

Cheers!

These threads dont survive on NL. However I think sharing of ideas and ignoring distractors from the subject will help stir some focus. I sign up here!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (34) (Reply)

This Is What A Sheep Looks Like After Five Years Without Shearing (Graphic Photo / Scientists Successfully Reverse Human Ageing Process (Pics) / Escaped Lion Found In Kano Zoo After Devouring Goats In Their Cage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.