Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,970 members, 7,817,845 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:05 PM

How To Build An Android Chat Like Whatsapp For Absolute Beginners - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How To Build An Android Chat Like Whatsapp For Absolute Beginners (24216 Views)

Guys Help I Want To Build An App Like Whatsapp! / How To Implement Firebase In An Android Chat App / Qt 5 Tutorial For Absolute Beginner C++ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Build An Android Chat Like Whatsapp For Absolute Beginners by Nigara: 1:20pm On Jun 23, 2015
Cc seunthomas
dhtml18
Javanian

The project(to the best of my knowledge) requires core javascript and php.#Waiting.
Re: How To Build An Android Chat Like Whatsapp For Absolute Beginners by krisjovi(m): 7:15pm On Jun 23, 2015
Chai! See as i for take miss out... Oga dhtml i kno say na me una dey wait 4. I dun show.. No time let d class begin
Re: How To Build An Android Chat Like Whatsapp For Absolute Beginners by Nobody: 7:33pm On Jun 23, 2015
Hehehehe, okay, you have succeeded in making me change my mind. It is okay, I shall post here and on my blog at the same time. Just trying to satisfy some of my clients here first before opening all them android stuffs.
Re: How To Build An Android Chat Like Whatsapp For Absolute Beginners by theffanyi(m): 9:42pm On Jun 23, 2015
Bros pls don't laff at me o. The first. Is I have downloaded most of the stuffs but I no know where e go hide for my system and my bros just waka with the modem so I don't know weda I can still continue with u guys cos I am actually typing this message from my blackberry now (dhtml 18) pls advice me
Re: How To Build An Android Chat Like Whatsapp For Absolute Beginners by Nobody: 6:27am On Jun 24, 2015
^^^You need to chat with me on facebook so that I can try explain where those stuffs are hidden to you. Just head over to https://www.facebook.com/dhtml5
The tutorial shall start today definitely, just had some client jobs to finish. I shall also link the tutorial to my blog (www.dhtmlhub.com) - the blog needs to be reactivated, it has been sleeping for a long time.
Re: How To Build An Android Chat Like Whatsapp For Absolute Beginners by theffanyi(m): 3:08pm On Jun 24, 2015
My oga what of whatsapp my number is
Re: How To Build An Android Chat Like Whatsapp For Absolute Beginners by seunthomas: 4:45pm On Jun 24, 2015
ehnn My people, i don come back. Una never see code?? Oga dhtml18 you dey play wayo ohhh. If i no see code before friday i go minus 1 from you so from saturday you go become dhtml17 and na every day i go dey minus ohhh.
Re: How To Build An Android Chat Like Whatsapp For Absolute Beginners by Nobody: 6:07pm On Jun 24, 2015
I want to post, but fear is catching me because I dont want this thread to erupt into a full-scale WAR!
Re: How To Build An Android Chat Like Whatsapp For Absolute Beginners by seunthomas: 7:51pm On Jun 24, 2015
dhtml18:
I want to post, but fear is catching me because I dont want this thread to erupt into a full-scale WAR!
Post, i got your back. Dem no born dem......... I make myself the official police of this thread. Anyone wey contest that position make he tell me the protocol for whatsapp See no answer.
Re: How To Build An Android Chat Like Whatsapp For Absolute Beginners by pseudonomer: 10:50pm On Jun 24, 2015
It's been long I did something on Java. But let see...
Re: How To Build An Android Chat Like Whatsapp For Absolute Beginners by Nobody: 2:14am On Jun 25, 2015
seunthomas:

There is nothing wrong with your javascript and i did not say there was. But for any of the programming languages you mentioned above(except php), it requires you must do a forward declaration of types. Yes the interpreter would execute your code and infact we all ignore it as developers but trust me whats bad is bad. When you are teaching beginners about programming you need to always state types. As for the Java part, you totally goofed. You may be one of the best programmers on nairaland but you are definately not a good programmer. I am not side tracking you just sharing my views. And next time try to see things from a balanced view. Not everyone who criticises you wants to destroy you. Programming is about criticism the better way of doing things. If you dont know that then you chose a wrong calling.

Programmers always criticize each others work or pattern, haha.
Actually, that's whatsup with everything.

I agree with on his choice of using http to build a chat app, I really wanted to say something about that, but since he is doing a crash course for once that don't know, it's beat being mute.

Op, continue.
Re: How To Build An Android Chat Like Whatsapp For Absolute Beginners by Nobody: 2:17am On Jun 25, 2015
lekropasky:
ride on bro.
But, what about someone that is already good with python basics.
Is he going to cope?
And have heard people saying python can be used to develop android apps too, i hope that is true?
Pardon me for the childish questions.
Thanks Boss.

Actually u can use python to develop android apps, but the standard language is Java, even Google had to make the necessary change as time went on.

Picking on Java isn't hard, with ur knowledge of Python, its matter of days u are rejoicing ontop java head.
Re: How To Build An Android Chat Like Whatsapp For Absolute Beginners by seunthomas: 2:35am On Jun 25, 2015
NormalCodes:

Actually u can use python to develop android apps, but the standard language is Java, even Google had to make the necessary change as time went on.

Picking on Java isn't hard, with ur knowledge of Python, its matter of days u are rejoicing ontop java head.
I think this may not always true. I know a lot of programming languages and found Java to be toughest to learn. Took me more than 3 years to understand it well. The challenge with Java was that you had to do things properly. Although Java has gotten better since when i learnt it(JDK1.2) but i think its idea of OOP is a step higher than found in python. Python does not compel you to use OOP concepts although indirectly you are working with OOP, however you cant code Java without OOP. IMPOSSICANT.
Re: How To Build An Android Chat Like Whatsapp For Absolute Beginners by Nobody: 2:43am On Jun 25, 2015
seunthomas:

I think this may not always true. I know a lot of programming languages and found Java to be toughest to learn. Took me more than 3 years to understand it well. The challenge with Java was that you had to do things properly. Although Java has gotten better since when i learnt it(JDK1.2) but i think its idea of OOP is a step higher than found in python. Python does not compel you to use OOP concepts although indirectly you are working with OOP, however you cant code Java without OOP. IMPOSSICANT.

Completely true, but I found Java easy, could be that I was more deep into PHP OOP and VB.net and didn't find the transition from PHP OOP tough, could be that because PHP stole lots of concepts from Java.
VB.net helped me in the GUI of Java app, especially using Netbeans. So it was quite easy for me to delve into.
Re: How To Build An Android Chat Like Whatsapp For Absolute Beginners by Nobody: 3:17am On Jun 25, 2015
I apologize for the break in transmission. There is a small social networking job I am trying to sharperly complete for a fellow nairalander. Thought I would have completed it yesterday, I am speeding to complete it now so that we can start this tutorial ASAP, more than enough has been said already, this tutorial will hold.
Re: How To Build An Android Chat Like Whatsapp For Absolute Beginners by Nobody: 7:28am On Jun 26, 2015
dhtml18:
The purpose of this tutorial is to show newbies how to build a simple chat android application.

Requirements:
- Zero knowledge of programming, I am assuming you have never heard of PHP, SQLite, MySQL, Wamp server, Java, XML, Android studio, Eclipse, Eclipse, Web service, Android Emulator, Bluestacks Emulator
- You do not even require an android phone

By the time we are done with this tutorial, you will have learnt all the above technologies enough to be able to build something simple or even more complex. The purpose of this tutorial is to give people more insight into what programming is all about especially newbies.

Profile: I am a web application / desktop application (windows/mac) / mobile application developer (android,ios,bb,windows mobile).
you are exactly the kind of developer i want to be like(web/desktop/mobile). Sir my questions are;
1. which aspect did you start with?
2.which language or tool did you learn first?
3.which language do you find most useful now?

please i would also like to see a list of the languages and tools you use, in the order you learnt them.

thanks in advance.
Re: How To Build An Android Chat Like Whatsapp For Absolute Beginners by Nobody: 9:02am On Jun 26, 2015
You are welcome. I shall be brief.
1. I started from visual basic 6.0 back then, then later went into c,c++,java and gradually entered web via asp/perl

Right now:
- For Web: I use php technologies, and I am an expert with JavaScript. Although I can use node.js and MEAN stack, but I have not yet done any useful project with it.
- For Windows Desktop: I use Visual basic 6 (for some light-weight projects), Visual basic .NET 2013, JAVA (for more stronger apps)
- For Windows Commandline: I use C,C++,PHP (yeah, it can do win32 console apps too)
- For Mac OS: XCODE/Object C (only runs on mac)
- For IOS: XCODE/Object C
- For Android: Android Studio / Eclipse
- For Hybrid apps: Flash builder with PHP
- Some other other platforms, but the above are what I really use for most of my work

Of course, I have summarized it a bit. . .but that is it in a nutshell.

@topic: I have almost finished the social networking site blocking me, once I am done, we shall kick off our long overdued tutorial.
Re: How To Build An Android Chat Like Whatsapp For Absolute Beginners by pseudonomer: 4:54pm On Jun 26, 2015
dhtml18:
You are welcome. I shall be brief.
1. I started from visual basic 6.0 back then, then later went into c,c++,java and gradually entered web via asp/perl

Right now:
- For Web: I use php technologies, and I am an expert with JavaScript. Although I can use node.js and MEAN stack, but I have not yet done any useful project with it.
- For Windows Desktop: I use Visual basic 6 (for some light-weight projects), Visual basic .NET 2013, JAVA (for more stronger apps)
- For Windows Commandline: I use C,C++,PHP (yeah, it can do win32 console apps too)
- For Mac OS: XCODE/Object C (only runs on mac)
- For IOS: XCODE/Object C
- For Android: Android Studio / Eclipse
- For Hybrid apps: Flash builder with PHP
- Some other other platforms, but the above are what I really use for most of my work

Of course, I have summarized it a bit. . .but that is it in a nutshell.

@topic: I have almost finished the social networking site blocking me, once I am done, we shall kick off our long overdued tutorial.

I learned c,c++ in school, but java and python on my own. One of these young lecturers that taught me c,c++ and very good in it said I should drop python and start working on Java reason being python is old, which I was against. What do u think?

cc Seun
Re: How To Build An Android Chat Like Whatsapp For Absolute Beginners by matrix4u(m): 5:54pm On Jun 26, 2015
NormalCodes:

Daniel I sight You... shocked
Python for android

Advanced developers... grin
Re: How To Build An Android Chat Like Whatsapp For Absolute Beginners by Nobody: 6:17pm On Jun 26, 2015
matrix4u:

Daniel I sight You... shocked
Python for android

Advanced developers... grin

Hope u not being sarcastic, if you you are

https://ep2013.europython.eu/conference/talks/developing-android-apps-completely-in-python

Yes, u can use Python for Android, but it is such a huge task that u can use that time to pick up on Java.

From Experience.
Re: How To Build An Android Chat Like Whatsapp For Absolute Beginners by Nobody: 6:46pm On Jun 26, 2015
Trollin'
Re: How To Build An Android Chat Like Whatsapp For Absolute Beginners by seunthomas: 7:28pm On Jun 26, 2015
pseudonomer:

I learned c,c++ in school, but java and python on my own. One of these young lecturers that taught me c,c++ and very good in it said I should drop python and start working on Java reason being python is old, which I was against. What do u think?

cc Seun
Python is not old at all. Its a very modern language. Its one of the most versatile languages i know. I can most nearly do the impossible in python and in record time too.
Re: How To Build An Android Chat Like Whatsapp For Absolute Beginners by Nobody: 7:46pm On Jun 26, 2015
^^^Ehen! I can do like-wise with the new cobra language (http://cobra-language.com/)
But lets not forget this thread is about Android o - all them them side-talkers. But since you guys are talking programming. . . .
Re: How To Build An Android Chat Like Whatsapp For Absolute Beginners by pseudonomer: 8:59pm On Jun 26, 2015
seunthomas:

Python is not old at all. Its a very modern language. Its one of the most versatile languages i know. I can most nearly do the impossible in python and in record time too.

I love python, and I know it is not old, I've written some programs in Python, but when the Lecturer me it's old and I should stop using it, I was like . That's why I asked here. Thanks for the response.
Re: How To Build An Android Chat Like Whatsapp For Absolute Beginners by lekropasky(m): 10:15pm On Jun 26, 2015
NormalCodes:

thanks bro
am also trying to like that Java.
but I don't know why its always boring to me.
Re: How To Build An Android Chat Like Whatsapp For Absolute Beginners by Nobody: 10:48pm On Jun 26, 2015
seunthomas:

Post, i got your back. Dem no born dem......... I make myself the official police of this thread. Anyone wey contest that position make he tell me the protocol for whatsapp See no answer.

whatsapp is built using xmpp and use's salt for hash security
Re: How To Build An Android Chat Like Whatsapp For Absolute Beginners by seunthomas: 4:37am On Jun 27, 2015
Chappie:

whatsapp is built using xmpp and use's salt for hash security
Wrong. Whatsapp is built using a derivative of XMPP that does not follow the XMPP specification. Its call FunXMPP. You can google that. But nice try anyway.
@chappie Sorry are you chappie as in the movie? Welcome to Nairaland ohhh. Please dont destroy us ohhhh. How is your artificial intelligence learning coming along.......?
Re: How To Build An Android Chat Like Whatsapp For Absolute Beginners by Nobody: 5:05am On Jun 27, 2015
Funny dudes, our own tutorial whatsapp is going to be using LAMP/WAMP specification.
Re: How To Build An Android Chat Like Whatsapp For Absolute Beginners by AAinEqGuinea: 5:10am On Jun 27, 2015
Ahh I see my old friends are still working hard...

This is where I need to be... and staying out of politics (for now)

Mod:
Where's all the code?? grin grin grin
Re: How To Build An Android Chat Like Whatsapp For Absolute Beginners by Nobody: 5:45am On Jun 27, 2015
^^^The codes will start showing up very show up very shortly. Please standby. . . .and dont lose your hat (and do stay out of politicks)
Re: How To Build An Android Chat Like Whatsapp For Absolute Beginners by OPEYEMIAD(m): 8:43am On Jun 27, 2015
dhtml18:
^^^The codes will start showing up very show up very shortly. Please standby. . . .and dont lose your hat (and do stay out of politicks)

I am happy you said you started from visual Basic 6.0.
Please how long do you glue with it before migrating to C and how old are you in coding.

I married VB 6.0 and am enjoying it, with the experience please who should I get married to next?
Re: How To Build An Android Chat Like Whatsapp For Absolute Beginners by Nobody: 8:57am On Jun 27, 2015
crotonite.interested = true;

I wait ooo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

So There Are Devs That Earn Up To 30k USD. / Why Most Beginners Quit Programming / Sam Altman Visits Nigeria On AI Tour

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.